PDA

View Full Version : The gap between Rogers and Lovertich isn?t big.

Jacksondevildog
10-23-2021, 06:29 PM
Lovertich has a better arm and is definitely more mobile. If Rogers goes down, we will still be able to throw the 5 yard hitch 30 times with Chance.

I said what I said.

Maverick91
10-23-2021, 06:30 PM
Agreed! It was nice to see someone not stand there like a statue and look like he knew what he was doing.

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:31 PM
Yeah Leach has no idea what hes doing

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:32 PM
I like Chance he?s a tough kid and has had to prove everyone wrong since HS. He is a winner.

But hes not ever gonna beat Will

Saltydog
10-23-2021, 06:33 PM
He should've gotten p/t in some of the other games. No reason this late in the season for no other QB to have even taken a snap other than Will.

Jacksondevildog
10-23-2021, 06:33 PM
Yeah Leach has no idea what hes doing

I know this was a jab, but not EVER pulling your starting QB this year has me questioning that.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 06:35 PM
Really like Lovertich's mobility. We need a guy like Lovertich that also has arm & accuracy. Once we get that, this offense will be really really tough to stop & there will be many more big plays

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:35 PM
He should've gotten p/t in some of the other games. No reason this late in the season for no other QB to have even taken a snap other than Will.

Why? We havent ever been in a position to pull Will. Will didnt let them pull him out last week. Sometimes we just bitch about stuff just to do it

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 06:37 PM
Why? We havent ever been in a position to pull Will. Will didnt let them pull him out last week. Sometimes we just bitch about stuff just to do it

Lovertich's mobility likely would've given us a better chance at having success vs Bama. Being able to move like that changes a lot

SilentSteel16
Glad he got some playing time. But if the gap wasn’t big we would have seen him before today. Also, you do know that was Vandys 2nd and third stringers right? Plus the touchdown was a bad under throw. He needs more reps to catch Rogers, just don’t see it happening except in the case we lose Rogers to injury.

msstate7

Losing by 5 TDs last week in the 2nd half when our starter had a shoulder issue wasn't "in a position to pull will"?

BuckyIsAB****
Leach is never ever going to make some of yall happy

SilentSteel16
10-23-2021, 06:38 PM
But we have Sawyer……

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:38 PM
Losing by 5 TDs last week in the 2nd half when our starter had a shoulder issue wasn't "in a position to pull will"?

Yes. But I clearly said he didnt want to come out so we left him in.

Jarius
10-23-2021, 06:39 PM

Will is not the head coach. When we were down 30 points in the 4th quarter last week and he was grimacing every time he threw the ball the head coach should have taken him out of the game. We almost got our starting safety ejected for a half against kentucky in a 30 point game tonight when the starting defense had no business being on the field. The rest of the season is more important than blowout stat padding time.

Jacksondevildog
10-23-2021, 06:40 PM
I understand that they had reserves in. We did too. I can also see that he has more mobility and the arm is probably better. I'm not advocating starting him. As my initial post said, if Rogers goes down, it won't be like we are handing the ball to an 8th grade math teacher.

BuckyIsAB****
I agree with that. You will have to take that up with Will and Leach. The kid did not want to come out bc he is a competitor. So we left him in. Its his team.

msstate7

Maybe the adults should make decisions. Will shouldn't make that call even though it's admirable

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:41 PM
I understand that they had reserves in. We did too. I can also see that he has more mobility and the arm is probably better. I'm not advocating starting him. As my initial post said, if Rogers goes down, it won't be like we are handing the ball to an 8th grade math teacher.

No Lovertich is a winner. Absolutely.

But he does not have a better arm than Will. Its not close. Mobility is probably about even. There is a reason Will is miles ahead.

Saltydog
10-23-2021, 06:41 PM
So, we shouldn't have tried someone else last week when we got the **** beat out of us and literally had no chance to come back and win a game we lost by 40? Hell, even his Dad should understand this.....

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:42 PM
Maybe the adults should make decisions. Will shouldn't make that call even though it's admirable

I agree with that. But you arent on the team and dont have a relationship with Will. Leach does. Its easy to sit here and say that

SilentSteel16
Bama would have eaten him alive as well, but reps are reps. We are not on level with Bama regardless who we put in there except once Sawyer decides to play. After all he is highly rated and that alone should put points on the board right?

Jarius
I agree with that. You will have to take that up with Will and Leach. The kid did not want to come out bc he is a competitor. So we left him in. Its his team.

Well that’s a really stupid decision by the head coach. It’s Mike Leach’s team. Not Will’s. He is responsible. Not will.

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:43 PM
Lovertich's mobility likely would've given us a better chance at having success vs Bama. Being able to move like that changes a lot

No it wouldnt

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 06:44 PM
Well that’s a really stupid decision by the head coach. It’s Mike Leach’s team. Not Will’s. He is responsible. Not will.

Its really easy to sit here and say that. Its hard to pull a kid out that wants to fight with his team. I see your point and I understand it. But there is another side of it too

Commercecomet24
10-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Chance looked good but you can't glean much from this. Vandy had quit. Chance would be serviceable if we had to play him but he's not Will. Leach has no problem playing the best player whoever it is. If chance was better than Will he'd be playing. I will say though we've had worse backups than chance.

Jarius
10-23-2021, 06:46 PM
Its really easy to sit here and say that. Its hard to pull a kid out that wants to fight with his team. I see your point and I understand it. But there is another side of it too

There is not another logical side to it. Will is our guy and he is the starter. The head coach should not jeopardize the future of the program in a blowout where our OL can’t block and the game is over and 5 star defensive linemen are killing the future of the program. That is not smart. Part of being a head coach is making tough decisions and telling guys who would never take themselves out of the game that they have to sit for the betterment of the program.

Jacksondevildog
If Will is the ONLY quarterback that is capable of running this offense right now, you absolutely DO pull the kid once the game is out of hand. To hell with what he says or how much fight he has. Coaches making 35k per year in Mississippi do that every Friday night. Leach is making 5 million. It's not that hard.

BuckyIsAB****
There is not another logical side to it. Will is our guy and he is the starter. The head coach should not jeopardize the future of the program in a blowout where our OL can’t block and the game is over and 5 star defensive linemen are killing the future of the program. That is not smart.

Yes there is. You are dealing with people not a robot

TrapGame
10-23-2021, 06:48 PM

Some of them don't want to be happy. Notice some of the worst posters from last weeks smack down aren't around? They only show up to enjoy the misery and point bony fingers of indignation.

Jarius
10-23-2021, 06:49 PM
Yes there is. You are dealing with people not a robot

No there isn’t.

Dawgface
10-23-2021, 06:49 PM

True. Hell most starting pitchers don't want to come out when they have 100 pitches but very seldom does the coach listen to them.

SilentSteel16
10-23-2021, 06:51 PM

Yeah because that is the great undoing of Alabama, TAM proved that, oh wait.. Calzada had 12 yds on 2 rushes and they had less than 100 yds rushing as a team?. But yeah, Lovertich would have given us a chance against Bama? that is a good baseless argument you have there.

SilentSteel16
10-23-2021, 06:52 PM
There is not another logical side to it. Will is our guy and he is the starter. The head coach should not jeopardize the future of the program in a blowout where our OL can’t block and the game is over and 5 star defensive linemen are killing the future of the program. That is not smart. Part of being a head coach is making tough decisions and telling guys who would never take themselves out of the game that they have to sit for the betterment of the program.

You are 100 percent correct.

EdwardDrayton
10-23-2021, 06:52 PM
I don’t know how big the gap is or if even there is a gap. But I saw enough to know I’d like to see some more of Chance Lovertich.

Mjoelner34
10-23-2021, 06:54 PM
I didn't see anything that made me think Lovertich should be starting and I didn't see anything that would make me panic if he came in.

SilentSteel16
10-23-2021, 06:54 PM
If Will is the ONLY quarterback that is capable of running this offense right now, you absolutely DO pull the kid once the game is out of hand. To hell with what he says or how much fight he has. Coaches making 35k per year in Mississippi do that every Friday night. Leach is making 5 million. It's not that hard.

Amen, you don’t put your best option in jeopardy at that point.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 06:59 PM
No it wouldnt

Disagree

Commercecomet24
10-23-2021, 07:01 PM
Some of them don't want to be happy. Notice some of the worst posters from last weeks smack down aren't around? They only show up to enjoy the misery and point bony fingers of indignation.

Unfortunately this is true, which is hard for me to understand. I understand people wanting to critique what went wrong but some folks seem to revel in the "I told you so" after we lose, and as you said don't show up after we win.

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 07:01 PM
Disagree

Leach doesnt

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Leach doesnt

I didn't say he should play over Will. That would be dumb at this point.

Just saying that his mobility helps in certain situations

HancockCountyDog
10-23-2021, 07:03 PM
Some of yall just cant see Will clearly.

He really fits the offense that Leach wants to run.

He isnt perfect, but he is damn good.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2021, 07:04 PM
I didn't see anything that made me think Lovertich should be starting and I didn't see anything that would make me panic if he came in.

Same way I see it.

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 07:06 PM
I didn't say he should play over Will. That would be dumb at this point.

Just saying that his mobility helps in certain situations

He isnt more mobile is the thing. But its all good. I like Lovertich he is a winner. Which is a lot more important than anything else

msstate7
10-23-2021, 07:07 PM
Leach doesnt

Leach thru 8 quarters vs bama is down 90-9. Maybe he isn't the authority on what's best vs bama.

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 07:08 PM
Leach thru 8 quarters vs bama is down 90-9. Maybe he isn't the authority on what's best vs bama.

Dude. Ok

Commercecomet24
10-23-2021, 07:09 PM

Yes sir!

EdwardDrayton
10-23-2021, 07:29 PM

?Isn?t perfect? is accurate. ?Damn good? is not accurate.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 07:33 PM
He isnt more mobile is the thing. But its all good. I like Lovertich he is a winner. Which is a lot more important than anything else

He's quicker & has lighter feet. It's completely obvious

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Solid point

TNDawg35
10-23-2021, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately this is true, which is hard for me to understand. I understand people wanting to critique what went wrong but some folks seem to revel in the "I told you so" after we lose, and as you said don't show up after we win.

I sure haven?t smelt any ?coffee? today? But by god I bet we will Tom. We will all get t hear how this doesn?t mean shit and we still suck and yada yada yada?

Homedawg
10-23-2021, 07:43 PM
Chance looked good but you can't glean much from this. Vandy had quit. Chance would be serviceable if we had to play him but he's not Will. Leach has no problem playing the best player whoever it is. If chance was better than Will he'd be playing. I will say though we've had worse backups than chance.

This!^^^

BuckyIsAB****
10-23-2021, 07:44 PM

Ok

Homedawg
10-23-2021, 07:45 PM

Might be. But there's still a gap and it's not small.

Percho
10-23-2021, 07:50 PM
Same way I see it.

Me also.

Jarius
10-23-2021, 08:12 PM

Mike Leach is one coach I am not worried about playing the best player. We have a walk on playing receiver and linebacker. He is going to play the best guy. If Chance were the best guy he would be playing. Period.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 08:32 PM

Agree on that.

mparkerfd20
10-23-2021, 08:40 PM
Nm

RezDog7
10-23-2021, 08:55 PM

I admire you Bucky, but you're fighting a losing battle. These internet coaches are way smarter than Leach.

RezDog7
10-23-2021, 09:09 PM
I sure haven?t smelt any ?coffee? today? But by god I bet we will Tom. We will all get t hear how this doesn?t mean shit and we still suck and yada yada yada?

Screw that guy

Activated Alpha
10-23-2021, 09:34 PM

It's their gout flaring up. Can't blame them from taking a week off when Leach causes their uric acid to go up.....

preachermatt83
10-23-2021, 09:48 PM

Amen!

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 09:59 PM
They only show up to enjoy the misery and point bony fingers of indignation.

Hat tip to you sir.

This is downright poetry.

msstate7
10-23-2021, 10:13 PM
Hat tip to you sir.

This is downright poetry.

Are we really pimping a vandy win?

Jarius
10-23-2021, 10:16 PM

It is more because we had people on here saying they did not know if we could beat Vandy. Vandy is the worst team in the country and we did not play well and still beat them by 40. We had some people on here being unnecessarily negative going into the game.

msstate7
10-23-2021, 10:18 PM
It is more because we had people on here saying they did not know if we could beat Vandy. Vandy is the worst team in the country and we did not play well and still beat them by 40. We had some people on here being unnecessarily negative going into the game.

Ok, fair enough... there's idiots out there. Killing vandy isn't worth a victory lap though

R2Dawg
10-23-2021, 10:20 PM

Yes many are. Leach has achieved to divide the MSU fanbase when we win or lose. We are the same team either way. I can't stand our O but I'd eat crow if we somehow arrived one day with it but that ain't happening. It requires playing a perfect game to beat a good team.

Today only means we are not the worst in the SEC. Hey we are better than Vandy and probably USC and Mizzou.

msstate7
10-23-2021, 10:22 PM
Yes many are. Leach has achieved to divide the MSU fanbase when we win or lose. We are the same team either way. I can't stand our O but I'd eat crow if we somehow arrived one day with it but that ain't happening. It requires playing a perfect game to beat a good team.

Today only means we are not the worst in the SEC. Hey we are better than Vandy and probably USC and Mizzou.

Beating Kentucky would go a long way to winning me over. I really hope leach can get it done

R2Dawg
10-23-2021, 10:23 PM

Always a few but after the week before beat down, that is expected. Did you listen to Bama fans after they lost a close game on road at TAMU before playing MSU? They didn't brag much after beating us by 40 either.

BTW, I said we would win like 31-10.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 10:25 PM

I was recognizing his impressive use of the English language. I'm not even sure what he was arguing

I'm not pimping the Vandy win personally. I'm glad that we didn't play terrible though

NCDawg
10-23-2021, 10:31 PM

I agree with that. Rogers doesn't have the strongest arm but he is pretty accurate most of the time. Wish he could run a little better when nobdoy is open but that's something that can't be helped.

Jarius
10-23-2021, 10:39 PM
Ok, fair enough... there's idiots out there. Killing vandy isn't worth a victory lap though

It did not make me any more confident going into the last 5 games. We looked like the same team we did most of the year just against a very bad team. We can still win 7 or 8 games with this team or we may only win 5. We won’t lose to teams like Vandy and our program is not in the dumpster like some think it is though.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2021, 10:39 PM
I agree with that. Rogers doesn't have the strongest arm but he is pretty accurate most of the time. Wish he could run a little better when nobdoy is open but that's something that can't be helped.

I'm fine with Rogers's throwing ability. It's the lack of agility that burns me.

I'm not even going to use the word running or mobility anymore because people only think of 40 times & speed when they hear that. We need agility at the QB position

Jarius
10-23-2021, 10:41 PM
Always a few but after the week before beat down, that is expected. Did you listen to Bama fans after they lost a close game on road at TAMU before playing MSU? They didn't brag much after beating us by 40 either.

BTW, I said we would win like 31-10.

Having a meltdown after losing to Alabama should not be expected. It’s just silly. We look like 50 % of the teams Mullen fielded at MSU and our fans want to build him a statue.

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 03:08 AM
Having a meltdown after losing to Alabama should not be expected. It’s just silly. We look like 50 % of the teams Mullen fielded at MSU and our fans want to build him a statue.

It's bizarre to me. People get pissed off at Leach for getting the same results that Dan did.

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 03:10 AM
I'm fine with Rogers's throwing ability. It's the lack of agility that burns me.

I'm not even going to use the word running or mobility anymore because people only think of 40 times & speed when they hear that. We need agility at the QB position

The best part of the game was Lovertich. Will needs someone that can press him and push him some. Abraham was that guy and somehow he got concussed in practice.

At any rate my point is with Lovertich looking functional maybe Will will be encouraged to run more. I think part of it is Will's processing what is going on during a play is slow as scrambling is probably option 3 or 4 for a QB and he usually never even gets to that point at this time.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2021, 07:24 AM

This from the guy who was downing the results in the game thread because we hadn't scored as much as Florida and UGA. I know you were trolling because that's what you do, so you need to take what you dish.

Maroonthirteen
10-24-2021, 08:00 AM
Last week, the mantra was....."Its Alabama." Meaning the game doesn't mean anything because they are so much more talented. Is the same not true this week? "Its Vandy." They are small and slow. Sure, credit MSU and Leach for winning the game convincingly. However, the Vandy win was expected by all.

UK, Arkansas, Auburn, TSU and Ole Miss...... 2-3 and Leach will make most happy. 2-3 with a W over OM, indignation disappears. No excuses to not finish 2-3 Wyatt and every other Leach backer says this offense gives us some advantage when the talent gap is even or close. Well....one team, maybe 2, in those last 5 have a talent advantage. Just win. W I N.

msstate7
10-24-2021, 08:05 AM
Last week, the mantra was....."Its Alabama." Meaning the game doesn't mean anything because they are so much more talented. Is the same not true this week? "Its Vandy." They are small and slow. Sure, credit MSU and Leach for winning the game convincingly. However, the Vandy win was expected by all.

Arkansas, Auburn, TSU and Ole Miss...... 2-2 and Leach will make most happy. 2-2 with a W over OM, indignation disappears. No excuses to not finish 2-2. Wyatt and every other Leach backer says this offense gives us some advantage when the talent gap is even or close. Well....one team, maybe 2, in those last 4 have a talent advantage. Just win. W I N.

Yeah, I didnt give a crap about the bama loss or vandy win. Our season starts back next Saturday night.

Indndawg
10-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Musta missed that

tcdog70
10-24-2021, 12:08 PM

They have two wins.. and should have beaten the woeful Cocks.

R2Dawg
10-24-2021, 12:30 PM
Having a meltdown after losing to Alabama should not be expected. It?s just silly. We look like 50 % of the teams Mullen fielded at MSU and our fans want to build him a statue.

The problem with the Bama loss is the air raid that we hired to beat or compete with Bama hasn't even sniffed the endzone in 2 years.

Jarius
10-24-2021, 02:22 PM
The problem with the Bama loss is the air raid that we hired to beat or compete with Bama hasn't even sniffed the endzone in 2 years.

If we are going to be throwing a bitch fit with every coach we hire that struggles to move the ball and score touchdowns against Alabama we are going to be throwing a lot of bitch fits. That output in year 2 with a hurt quarterback was better than most of Mullen’s offensive showings against the Tide, as sad as that is.

StoneDawg
10-24-2021, 02:31 PM

No one will.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2021, 04:15 PM
If we are going to be throwing a bitch fit with every coach we hire that struggles to move the ball and score touchdowns against Alabama we are going to be throwing a lot of bitch fits. That output in year 2 with a hurt quarterback was better than most of Mullen’s offensive showings against the Tide, as sad as that is.

Yeah outside of 2014 and 2017(Dak and Nick) Danny boys offenses got pretty much stoned every year. Not saying Leach will ever put 30+ on Saban but Danny boy and JoMo didn't either.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2021, 04:54 PM
Yeah outside of 2014 and 2017(Dak and Nick) Danny boys offenses got pretty much stoned every year. Not saying Leach will ever put 30+ on Saban but Danny boy and JoMo didn't either.

In 102 games against Alabama, we are 16-83-3.
We have scored 20 points or more only 15 times.
We have been held to 7 points or less 59 times.
We have been shut out 25 times.

Alabama has more wins against MSU than any other team in their history. Our history against them is terrible - and anyone who wants to measure us against them in any form needs to be placed in an asylum.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2021, 05:00 PM

Alabama has more wins against MSU than any other team in their history. Our history against them is terrible - and anyone who wants to measure us against them in any form needs to be placed in an asylum.

Agreed. You always have great takes.

Percho
10-24-2021, 05:00 PM

That's the reality of HELL!

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Leach's offense in year 2 against Alabama- 9 points.

Dan's offense in year 2 against Alabama- 10 points.

That's why people are complaining.**

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 05:30 PM

That's pretty unbelievable. I'm guessing we scored our most points against them in 1997 if I had to guess without looking.

msstate7
10-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Leach's offense in year 2 against Alabama- 9 points.

Dan's offense in year 2 against Alabama- 10 points.

That's why people are complaining.**

Bama scoring defense is 34th nationally at the moment. From 2009-2020, their lowest finish was 13th in 2019 and 2020. They finished 3rd nationally in 2010 FWIW

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Bama scoring defense is 34th nationally at the moment. From 2009-2020, their lowest finish was 13th in 2019 and 2020. They finished 3rd nationally in 2010 FWIW

So they're not top 25 and only top 50? Yeah they totally suck.**

I'll also add that they are among the top teams in the SEC at intercepting passes which makes it a more difficult match up for us. Because we can't afford turnovers and overcome them.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2021, 05:40 PM
That's the reality of HELL!
It got me think about if anyone else is as bad historically. Amazingly, there are others

Iowa State is 15-84-2 against Nebraska.
Kansas is 18-87-3 against Nebraska.
Oklahoma State is 18-82-7 against Oklahoma

Those are the only series I can find similar to us and Bama.

msstate7
10-24-2021, 05:41 PM
So they're not top 25 and only top 50? Yeah they totally suck.**

I'll also add that they are among the top teams in the SEC at intercepting passes which makes it a more difficult match up for us. Because we can't afford turnovers and overcome them.

Just posted the stats. We aren't beating bama, and we should base nothing on them. Our seasons hinge on Kentucky, OM, auburn, LSU, aTm, and Arkansas, not bama. We don't recruit well enough to compete with them

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2021, 05:41 PM
That's pretty unbelievable. I'm guessing we scored our most points against them in 1997 if I had to guess without looking.

Yep - 32 points in '97 is our most ever.

msstate7
10-24-2021, 05:43 PM
It got me think about if anyone else is as bad historically. Amazingly, there are others

Bama is 53-10-2 vs OM

Todd4State
10-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Just posted the stats. We aren't beating bama, and we should base nothing on them. Our seasons hinge on Kentucky, OM, auburn, LSU, aTm, and Arkansas, not bama. We don't recruit well enough to compete with them

Watching Wyatt's film actually made me feel better about down the road at least as far as competing. They did some pretty elite things disguising their coverages that Will really probably hasn't seen yet and one resulted in an INT on the first drive. Now that we have that on film I think we will be better prepared for it going forward.

Defense was as much if not more of an issue than offense this year. Our tackling was Peter Sirmon horrendous in that game.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2021, 06:13 PM
Bama is 53-10-2 vs OM

Bad, but no where near as bad as us. They also spent the better are of 40 decades being allowed to dodge playing Bama. Amazingly, since OM started playing Bama annually in 1980 - we have won more. We have 7 wins to Ole Miss' 5.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2021, 07:24 PM
Bad, but no where near as bad as us. They also spent the better are of 40 decades being allowed to dodge playing Bama. Amazingly, since OM started playing Bama annually in 1980 - we have won more. We have 7 wins to Ole Miss' 5.

Yeah they dodged playing bama every year for ages, they knew better or their all time record would be as bad as ours. They would play them like 2 times a decade lol.

travis
10-24-2021, 07:39 PM

Mississippi State vs Alabama:

Prior to 1962, the Bulldogs played 6 games in Starkville and 11 total games in the state of Mississippi.
At one point State played 12 straight games in Alabama (11 straight in Tuscaloosa).

Between 1961 and 1986, the series was more evenly split, however State played ALL their home games in Jackson.

Prior to 1986, State played SIX games total at Scott Field. Six true home games in 84 years!!

Bothrops
10-24-2021, 10:58 PM
MSU-Bama is the longest running rivalry for both schools.

Maroonthirteen
10-25-2021, 09:37 AM
I imagine the proximity of the schools plays a large part in why we have played them for so many years. However, I know for most east Mississippi, State fans, the Bama game was a huge rivalry game. (I am not arguing if they consider it a rivalry but it is for us.) So, that is why it was played so much. Also, even though we lost almost every time, the game was usually tightly contested most years. Those 92, 94, 98, 00 games were some of the best on campus game day/games until around the UF and AU game of 2000 and then the Mullen era. The 81 and 91 games were very entertaining.

With all that said.....as a long time MSU fan that enjoys playing them or did......the games aren't competitive any longer. GET THEM OFF THE SCHEDULE... when the conference gets shaken up with Texas and OU. We payed our dues.

HoopsCoach21
10-25-2021, 11:31 AM

Not to go all "actually" on you. But I can't stand giving Ole Miss credit for anything. Percentage of wins per game wise (if those numbers are right - I didn't research anything), we've done slightly better than them.

We've won 19.2%, they've won 18.8% of games vs Bama.

R2Dawg
10-25-2021, 12:11 PM
Not to go all "actually" on you. But I can't stand giving Ole Miss credit for anything. Percentage of wins per game wise (if those numbers are right - I didn't research anything), we've done slightly better than them.

You can thank JWS for 4 of those wins against good Bama teams and Croom (gulp) for 2 of those wins against not as good Bama teams.

BrunswickDawg
10-25-2021, 12:47 PM
You can thank JWS for 4 of those wins against good Bama teams and Croom (gulp) for 2 of those wins against not as good Bama teams.

Jackie always had that game circled on the calendar. I think sometimes that was to the detriment of our performances against Arkansas.

BrunswickDawg
10-25-2021, 12:52 PM

Yeah - I get the math. To me that .04% is just dwarfed by the sheer volume of losses. You are right about the game being competitive in the '90s. That was a fun era in the series.