PDA

View Full Version : Backup

Dawgsfanalongtime77
10-17-2021, 11:58 PM
What really is the deal with the backup qb situation? I mean if will has to play inured that really is a red flag. Surely he could have come out of the game and just let the others have one snap considering the circumstances. That?s what backups do especially in a blowout. Maybe I missed the memo.

Dawg_Lover
10-18-2021, 01:03 AM
What really is the deal with the backup qb situation? I mean if will has to play inured that really is a red flag. Surely he could have come out of the game and just let the others have one snap considering the circumstances. That?s what backups do especially in a blowout. Maybe I missed the memo.

I have the same question .... Anybody?

Todd4State
10-18-2021, 02:11 AM
Jack Abraham was supposed to be the back up. Somehow he got a concussion in practice and decided to stop playing football.

Lovertich is a Sun Belt/FCS caliber QB who loves MSU and I don't mind him being on the team. He's supposed to be third string.

Robertson and Greek aren't ready. Not sure how into football Sawyer really is so I wouldn't be surprised if Greek ends up being the guy in the future.

Dawgtini
10-18-2021, 04:28 AM
And the qb in this system is the key. So they need plenty of reps. Leach said Will is the youngest starting qbs he has coached in 20 yrs other than Will last year. That tells me Will is all we have until the younger guys get some years in the system, or we get an experienced qb from the portal.

Maroonthirteen
10-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Mike Pizinski. Come on down.

basedog
10-18-2021, 09:18 AM
Not having a backup ready is crazy, it was kinda dumb not letting Lovertich or even Sawyer get in the game.

Dawgfan77
10-18-2021, 11:27 AM
Not having a backup ready is crazy, it was kinda dumb not letting Lovertich or even Sawyer get in the game.
Greek is ahead of Sawyer. And a walk-on from south Alabama is our current number 2...
I'll let you marinate on that a little while

Maverick91
10-18-2021, 11:49 AM
This is what happens when you overhaul your system completely and all the old experienced QBs because they just aren’t built for your system. It’s just what it is.

basedog
10-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Greek is ahead of Sawyer. And a walk-on from south Alabama is our current number 2...
I'll let you marinate on that a little while

Why not let back ups play late in the 4th quarter? I understand he is a walk on, it ain't like it could have gotten any worse to me.

Dawgface
10-18-2021, 12:06 PM
Why not let back ups play late in the 4th quarter? I understand he is a walk on, it ain't like it could have gotten any worse to me.

True. Lovertich has played some college ball. Surely he could have got us through the 4th quarter. Don't understand taking the additional risk by playing Will.

Coach34
10-18-2021, 12:07 PM
One thing is for sure- Rogers shoulder is sore and he is hurting this week.

Dawgfan77
10-18-2021, 01:12 PM
Might get your wish this week...

basedog
10-18-2021, 01:26 PM

I don't wish an injury for a backup to play, I was hoping to get an injured Rogers out of the game somewhere in the 4th quarter while the game was well in doubt.

Homedawg
10-18-2021, 01:41 PM

Yeah for those clamoring, play someone else at QB.................be careful what you wish for.........

NCDawg
10-18-2021, 01:44 PM

All the hype on Robertson when we signed him and he's not ready? I thought he was going battle Rogers for the starting position.

Dawg_Lover
10-18-2021, 01:58 PM
So much of what some have said makes sense .... Ex: basedog, Coach34, dawgfan, dawgface, to name a few ....
Why sacrifice an injured key player, in what quickly became a hopeless cause? Number one, the wellbeing, of the player, should be tantamount. And number two, would not common sense make you reason it was not worth possibly worsening the damage, causing him to miss future games we could have won?? Even if Will wanted to keep playing, which I would doubt because of his obvious demonstrations of pain, there are supposed to be reasoning adults making good decisions.

Commercecomet24
10-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Yeah for those clamoring, play someone else at QB.................be careful what you wish for.........

Yes, be very careful what you wish for.

NCDawg
10-18-2021, 02:29 PM
Yes, be very careful what you wish for.

I think Rogers is a good QB, however, clearly he and some of his receivers weren't on the same page against Alabama. Rogers is pretty accurate with his passes most of the time.

Dawgology
10-18-2021, 02:53 PM
Jack Abraham was supposed to be the back up. Somehow he got a concussion in practice and decided to stop playing football.

Lovertich is a Sun Belt/FCS caliber QB who loves MSU and I don't mind him being on the team. He's supposed to be third string.

Robertson and Greek aren't ready. Not sure how into football Sawyer really is so I wouldn't be surprised if Greek ends up being the guy in the future.

Sawyers not into Football??? Wtf. Only MSU

ShotgunDawg
10-18-2021, 02:57 PM
Not sure how into football Sawyer really is

I find it really really hard to believe this

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2021, 03:17 PM

I believe everyone is of the opinion that Will is needed for games that matter. Losing to Bama 49-9 or 60-6 doesn't 17ing matter. What does matter is Will being banged up to the point that we lose to Vandy or UK because he made an injury worse.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Sawyers not into Football??? Wtf. Only MSU

Dead Injuns going hard in the paint. Highest rated QB in MSU history can't even get on the field in a blowout when the starter is hurt.

Dawgface
10-18-2021, 03:21 PM

Clamoring only when the game is out of reach which was obvious against AL. Same goes with other positions.

msstate7
10-18-2021, 03:25 PM
A qb with limited arm strength already having a shoulder injury could make this offense even more limited

Commercecomet24
10-18-2021, 03:35 PM
There's a strong chance we get to see what the offense looks like without Will this weekend.

CadaverDawg
10-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Just what we need, a reason to give Leach another pass due to "QB injury". We'll be paying his ass and running the AirBone until 2025 won't we. Gonna have to stock up on bourbon cuz lord knows I am a glutton for punishment and can't stop tuning in.

msstate7
10-18-2021, 03:41 PM
There's a strong chase we get to see what the offense looks like without Will this weekend.

This is the perfect week to give that shoulder some rest. If we need will to beat vandy, we have no shot vs Kentucky, ark, auburn, and OM anyway

Homedawg
10-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Dead Injuns going hard in the paint. Highest rated QB in MSU history can't even get on the field in a blowout when the starter is hurt.

This isn't a fact. It's an opinion made someone and a follow up to it........

Homedawg
10-18-2021, 03:51 PM
Clamoring only when the game is out of reach which was obvious against AL. Same goes with other positions.

No, there are numerous posters wanting for Sawyer to play and play now. I get the take him out of the bama game part. I would have.

Todd4State
10-18-2021, 05:25 PM

Is it? He's on the baseball team and he skipped spring practice for his prom.

Meanwhile Greek has been here since the spring and is way more engaged during the game than Sawyer. He's in the huddle before the offense takes the field every series.

Sawyer has a way higher ceiling. No doubt. But we'll see what the future holds.

Dawgfan77
10-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Well he is fourth team of that helps any...

parabrave
10-18-2021, 05:40 PM
So much of what some have said makes sense .... Ex: basedog, Coach34, dawgfan, dawgface, to name a few ....
Why sacrifice an injured key player, in what quickly became a hopeless cause? Number one, the wellbeing, of the player, should be tantamount. And number two, would not common sense make you reason it was not worth possibly worsening the damage, causing him to miss future games we could have won?? Even if Will wanted to keep playing, which I would doubt because of his obvious demonstrations of pain, there are supposed to be reasoning adults making good decisions.

Well we know how well Leach treats injured players. Just ask Craig James.

Todd4State
10-18-2021, 06:56 PM
This is the perfect week to give that shoulder some rest. If we need will to beat vandy, we have no shot vs Kentucky, ark, auburn, and OM anyway

Huh? You don't think a passing team needs their QB?

msstate7
10-18-2021, 07:07 PM
Huh? You don't think a passing team needs their QB?

If our 2nd string isn't good enough to beat vandy, he's terrible

Coach34
10-18-2021, 07:24 PM

This is a very valid point. Especially since we could lean on our run game to help him.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2021, 07:42 PM
Well he is fourth team of that helps any...

Yep, only at MSU could you get one of the highest rated QBs to ever sign and he is 4th on the depth chart behind walk ons.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-18-2021, 09:38 PM
Is it? He's on the baseball team and he skipped spring practice for his prom.

Meanwhile Greek has been here since the spring and is way more engaged during the game than Sawyer. He's in the huddle before the offense takes the field every series.

Sawyer has a way higher ceiling. No doubt. But we'll see what the future holds.

Every MSU podcast has hinted around this at some point this season and that this could be a huge miss for the football team.

yjnkdawg
10-18-2021, 09:44 PM

Players will play through pain. Especially when you are playing Bama. If Will had wanted to come out of the game, he would have been on the sidelines. Now why CML didn't take him out anyway later in the game, I don't know?

yjnkdawg
10-18-2021, 09:47 PM
Yep, only at MSU could you get one of the highest rated QBs to ever sign and he is 4th on the depth chart behind walk ons.

Sawyer may love Dudy Noble more than he does Davis Wade. Time will tell on that.

basedog
10-19-2021, 05:39 AM

You might want to get started with drinking real early, being a 20 point favorite is very unusual for our History as a football program. I'd take the points if I was a betting man.

OLJWales
10-19-2021, 08:26 PM

Dead Injuns going hard in the paint... Damn dats skrong. LMAO.

Seriously though, that sucks. HARD!!

Saltydog
10-19-2021, 08:37 PM

Yeah it's not a good look at all......BTW, he's not the highest rated QB we've signed......

OLJWales
10-19-2021, 08:52 PM
Yeah it's not a good look at all......BTW, he's not the highest rated QB we've signed......

John Bond?

SilentSteel16
10-19-2021, 08:55 PM

This has been said for months now. Some of you just thought we were crazy for saying it. Sawyer could be great IF he wanted to be. Realistically he will see the Dude more consistently earlier than he would on Davis Wade because that is where he really wants to be.

I feel like this has been said before?. Hmmm

Bothrops
10-19-2021, 09:20 PM

Tyler Russell? I didn't think he was that high.

Bothrops
10-19-2021, 09:24 PM
If what all I'm reading in this thread is true, we have to get the best qb available in the entire portal like as soon as they get in it!! Leach probably needs to have a sit down with Sawyer.

Dawgology
10-19-2021, 09:31 PM
It amazes me that I’m any of the scouting that occurred no one figured out he wanted to play baseball…

Homedawg
10-19-2021, 10:40 PM
If what all I'm reading in this thread is true, we have to get the best qb available in the entire portal like as soon as they get in it!! Leach probably needs to have a sit down with Sawyer.

Why? Bc he's 4th string or Bc we had a guy early in the thread who stated his opinion that sawyer didn't like football Bc he stayed for his sr year of baseball? It was an opinion based on a guy wanting to play baseball his sr year. Not a crime or a fact he didn't like football. I have some sources, and I have zero clue if he likes football or baseball more. Doesn't matter yet. But nobody has said he doesn't like football Bc he went to prom..... except the message boards.

Tbonewannabe
10-20-2021, 06:16 AM

Must be some QB from the late 80 early 90s. I thought I read that Sawyer was the highest rated in the info MSU releases when they sign but I could be wrong.

Of course that doesn't mean anything since I thought Marvin Byrdsong was a lock for the NFL when he signed.

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2021, 06:33 AM

According to 24/7 he is. Sawyer was a 4* .9393
Next highest was KT, a 4* .9258

Dak Holliday
10-20-2021, 06:31 PM
He must be counting someone that was prior to the rating system. I?d like to know who he considers a higher rated QB.

Saltydog
10-20-2021, 08:51 PM

Nope......1992, Rodney Hudson from LaGrange, GA was a 5 star QB that signed with JWS....Kid never saw much p/t at all.......Don't think he was 5 star but Todd Jordan was very highly recruited out of Tupelo in the early 90's......Derrick Taite was also highly recruited as well.......

BrunswickDawg
10-20-2021, 09:20 PM
Nope......1992, Rodney Hudson from LaGrange, GA was a 5 star QB that signed with JWS....Kid never saw much p/t at all.......Don't think he was 5 star but Todd Jordan was very highly recruited out of Tupelo in the early 90's......Derrick Taite was also highly recruited as well.......

I really don't think there were star ratings that early - at least not that I remember. I know in GA if you made the AJC Super 11 you were a big deal, and Hudson was on that list. Hudson was definitely the most hyped recruit of that time for MSU, and came with some bonafides - Hudson led Lagrange (a GA power at the time) to an undefeated State Title and was AJC and AP Georgia Player of the Year. He also brought Walt Harris with him.

Commercecomet24
10-20-2021, 09:24 PM

Tyler Russell was .9197 4 star.

preachermatt83
10-20-2021, 11:44 PM
I’ve heard from two different places that will is very questionable for Saturday at this point. Prob nearer to doubtful

Maroonthirteen
10-21-2021, 08:26 AM
What's the scoop on Lovertich? The guy was here for spring. He played in JuCo and South Alabama. He looks short but serviceable.

NCDawg
10-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Walt Harris panned out to be a good player and played in the pro's. I remember Rodney Hudson coming in and playing a little in one game and that was about it.

OLJWales
10-21-2021, 11:42 AM
I’ve heard from two different places that will is very questionable for Saturday at this point. Prob nearer to doubtful

Wish somebody would figger it out cuz there's another here saying he"s playing. But I guess uncertainty in commode door camp is best for now.

Maverick91
10-21-2021, 04:21 PM
What's the scoop on Lovertich? The guy was here for spring. He played in JuCo and South Alabama. He looks short but serviceable.

He looks like he has good zip on the ball, but yeah he is short 5'11 I think. nothing like me on a good day im 5'751285.

FISHDAWG
10-22-2021, 08:30 AM
Saw a report saying the Vandy back-up QB will be starting due to the #1 starter getting hurt against SC

Lord McBuckethead
10-22-2021, 08:49 AM

Jack Abraham hasn't been a factor since the summer. Think about this, in 5 months we couldn't get a guy ready to take 15 snaps in a game we were down 28-40 pts to one of if not the best team in the country, where we had zero chance of even scoring a touchdown against.
I really do not care if Sawyer or Greek couldn't even get a throw off, after 5 months they should have some basic understanding on how to take a snap and run for their life and throw it out of bounds or take a slide.

I want to hear it directly out of Sawyer's mouth that he doesn't care about football. And if that is the case, we need to move on, unless we are just using football for an extra baseball scholly. And if that is the case, with the NIL that is retarded.

Tbonewannabe
10-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Jack Abraham hasn't been a factor since the summer. Think about this, in 5 months we couldn't get a guy ready to take 15 snaps in a game we were down 28-40 pts to one of if not the best team in the country, where we had zero chance of even scoring a touchdown against.
I really do not care if Sawyer or Greek couldn't even get a throw off, after 5 months they should have some basic understanding on how to take a snap and run for their life and throw it out of bounds or take a slide.

I want to hear it directly out of Sawyer's mouth that he doesn't care about football. And if that is the case, we need to move on, unless we are just using football for an extra baseball scholly. And if that is the case, with the NIL that is retarded.

You also have to think, we kept trotting Costello out there throwing pick sixs like crazy until he was hurt and physically couldn't go. Rogers was soooo much better last year overall running the offense but he doesn't see the field if Costello can throw the ball.

OLJWales
10-22-2021, 10:01 AM
Well we know how well Leach treats injured players. Just ask Craig James.

That was a BS story from what I've heard cuz of who his diddy is.

gtowndawg
10-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Walt Harris panned out to be a good player and played in the pro's. I remember Rodney Hudson coming in and playing a little in one game and that was about it.

Not to split hairs, but he did more than pan out. He's one of 6 (or 7??) players in the ring of honor.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Not to split hairs, but he did more than pan out. He's one of 6 (or 7??) players in the ring of honor.

All SEC(twice), first round draft pick(13th player picked) and pro bowler. Ol Walt did pretty good for himself.

tcdog70
10-22-2021, 05:48 PM
Chance’s GrandFather one of MSU’s best athlete’s. Payed basketball and baseball.

Tater
10-22-2021, 09:19 PM

Craig James Killed 5 Hookers

Matt3467
10-22-2021, 09:26 PM
You also have to think, we kept trotting Costello out there throwing pick sixs like crazy until he was hurt and physically couldn't go. Rogers was soooo much better last year overall running the offense but he doesn't see the field if Costello can throw the ball.

KJ Costello was incredibly talented and had the tools to make us a very good team last year. He just played like his mind was somewhere else.

SPMT
10-22-2021, 10:11 PM

Total bullshit. Kid was a *****.

Bdawg
10-22-2021, 10:29 PM
This has been said for months now. Some of you just thought we were crazy for saying it. Sawyer could be great IF he wanted to be. Realistically he will see the Dude more consistently earlier than he would on Davis Wade because that is where he really wants to be.

I feel like this has been said before?. Hmmm

Then why the hell are we signing these types. Your QB better have a hard on for football and that needs to be figured out before signing them. This is why I hate recruiting. Just when you think you got something, it doesn't pan out, or when you do get a good one they are only here for one good year then leave for the draft early. It's always something when it domes to MSU!!