PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach

Dawgfan77
10-17-2021, 09:24 AM
I think there is a large percentage of fans who are enamored or star struck that we have Leach as our coach.
Remove the name and look at our program? Would you still feel the way you do?
Also, can we drop the young narrative? These guys played last year and most of the guys we have are older. I'm sick of well we are young...

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Bbbbbbut when we're 5-7, 2 of those 5 wins will be over A&M and NC State!**

Yeah, and those teams will be saying "how tf did we lose to those scrubs...how embarrassing"

confucius say
10-17-2021, 09:29 AM
The overreact on this board when we win or lose is astonishing.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 09:46 AM
Fan is short fanatic, so, what would you expect.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2021, 09:47 AM
I listened to about 7-8 minutes of JoelColemans pod cast interview of Leach. It seems some are most interested in getting a funny quip, or cool key west story rather than learn what we can do to build a football program.

Leach may be serious AF about football behind the scenes. However I do wonder often how much the laid back demeanor trickles down.

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 09:48 AM

Yeah, it's the absolute loathing of Leach and the Air Raid. We lost to a Bama team that was embarrassed by a team we beat. They weren't losing this game. Not even close. It sucks but it is what it is.

HoopsDawg
10-17-2021, 09:53 AM
Yeah, it's the absolute loathing of Leach and the Air Raid. We lost to a Bama team that was embarrassed by a team we beat. They weren't losing this game. Not even close. It sucks but it is what it is.

I'm in this camp. I hate the offense. I can't be objective about Leach. I don't think he's the right guy for us.

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 10:01 AM
I'm in this camp. I hate the offense. I can't be objective about Leach. I don't think he's the right guy for us.

Thank you for your honesty. Leach might not be the guy but I'm willing to give him a couple of seasons to get his kind of offensive guys in and Will more experience. Firing Mike Leach after two seasons is just retarded. If we go 5-7 next season, yeah, I'm on the next guy bandwagon.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your honesty. Leach might not be the guy but I'm willing to give him a couple of seasons to get his kind of offensive guys in and Will more experience. Firing Mike Leach after two seasons is just retarded. If we go 5-7 next season, yeah, I'm on the next guy bandwagon.

He can beat saban. I saw enough in the first half to make me believe. He doesn’t have the horses. And he’s only going to have the horses if we go buy them for him. I don’t like the scheme personally. But, I saw enough to show me it will work. And this scheme is sabans Achilles heal. We need to spend the majority of our money on defense, obviously. We’re only talking having to buy 3 really good players on O. Two Michael Crabtree’s and one bad ass gunslinger.

We’re stuck with Leach for a few years. Might as well put up the money and see what we can do. And in the grand scheme of things, having to only buy 3 is pretty cheap.

parabrave
10-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Second this. Since even when the rumors started.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 10:30 AM
He can beat saban. I saw enough in the first half to make me believe. He doesn?t have the horses. And he?s only going to have the horses if we go buy them for him. I don?t like the scheme personally. But, I saw enough to show me it will work. And this scheme is sabans Achilles heal. We need to spend the majority of our money on defense, obviously. We?re only talking having to buy 3 really good players on O. Two Michael Crabtree?s and one bad ass gunslinger.

We?re stuck with Leach for a few years. Might as well put up the money and see what we can do. And in the grand scheme of things, having to only buy 3 is pretty cheap.

What did he show you? Share it with me because I don?t see it. We?ve lost by 40 the last 2 years.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 10:34 AM
What did he show you? Share it with me because I don?t see it. We?ve lost by 40 the last 2 years.

Watch the film. The scheme works. Execution was lacking. Hence, we need better talent. The Xs and Os is not the problem.

Dawgfan77
10-17-2021, 10:36 AM
It's not that we got beat by Bama, it's how. It's losing to Memphis almost losing to LA Tech.
This system was supposed negate the talent difference against more talented teams, but it also negated that when you play teams with less talent.
It's not a fit here. Those of you who are willing to give it a couple of years are blinded by well it's worked everywhere else just be patient. 17 that

HoopsDawg
10-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Watch the film. The scheme works. Execution was lacking. Hence, we need better talent. The Xs and Os is not the problem.

I think we could have run 40 plays in the red zone and still not scored a TD. Saban easily destroyed the scheme.

tcdog70
10-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Yesterday’s loss wasn’t about Leach or Saban —it was about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. Usually the team that has superior athletes win, true in any sport. Nobddy has better players than Alabama. Who,thinks a Coach can take over a program and completely change the style of play and be successful in 1 year in the SEC west? Just a couple weeks ago everyone was loving Sam Pittman, now 3 loses in a row, he doesn’t look so great. What about ole Dan. Left us to go to a big time program, his ass is now sucking wind. Give Leach some time and then love him or crucify him. The potential , I can see it. Shit, we’ve beaten A&M and NC State. Get on board and see what can happen.

We know Leach wins if given time. Remember When John Cohen came , he was always a winner. But It took Him time to turn us around. The same whinny ass fans were wanting to fire Him. Guess what —he got us in a National Championship game. Let’s at least see how,this season turn out.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 10:40 AM
It's not that we got beat by Bama, it's how. It's losing to Memphis almost losing to LA Tech.
This system was supposed negate the talent difference against more talented teams, but it also negated that when you play teams with less talent.
It's not a fit here. Those of you who are willing to give it a couple of years are blinded by well it's worked everywhere else just be patient. 17 that

I get it. We don’t have a choice. We’re stuck with him for two more years. I don’t like the scheme and cringed the day we hired him. But, let’s give him some semblance of talent before we run him off.

parabrave
10-17-2021, 10:44 AM

This isn't Texas or Pac 10 7 0n 7 football. You have to have a running threat to take the heat off the QB. That is just a plain fact for SEC football.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 10:47 AM
I think we could have run 40 plays in the red zone and still not scored a TD. Saban easily destroyed the scheme.

I pulled up the stats at the end of the first half. Yeah, I know. Lies, damn lies, and statistics. Execution is the problem. And that comes down to talent.

If you’re going to create another 1980 and end the dynasty, you’re going to have to do it with a guy like Leach.

gtowndawg
10-17-2021, 10:50 AM
I listened to about 7-8 minutes of JoelColemans pod cast interview of Leach. It seems some are most interested in getting a funny quip, or cool key west story rather than learn what we can do to build a football program.

Leach may be serious AF about football behind the scenes. However I do wonder often how much the laid back demeanor trickles down.

My friends and I said the same thing during the off week. Do you think Saban sits around and waste time giving detailed answers about what meal he would eat if he had to eat it the rest of his life? How about what Netflix shows he likes and which coaches would be characters in those shows? Saban would kick you out of his office for stupid questions like that. Yes, it's entertaining, but SEC football needs someone obsessed with football, preparing, and recruiting.

I think football is just one of Leach's many hobbies, plain and simple. Admirable in real life but unfortunately it doesn't work in major college football.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 10:50 AM
This isn't Texas or Pac 10 7 0n 7 football. You have to have a running threat to take the heat off the QB. That is just a plain fact for SEC football.

Man. I 100% agree with this. But. We are where we are.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-17-2021, 10:57 AM

Truly amazing. You couldn't find one State fan before the game yesterday that truly thought we were going to win, but then when exactly what they thought was going to happen happens, everyone wants to fire the coach.

While it is frustrating to see us stall in the red zone, the real criticism needs to be on the defense. Why they get such a constant pass on this board is beyond me.

*** But they BLITZ all the time though!!***

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 11:00 AM
Truly amazing. You couldn't find one State fan before the game yesterday that truly thought we were going to win, but then when exactly what they thought was going to happen happens, everyone wants to fire the coach.

While it is frustrating to see us stall in the red zone, the real criticism needs to be on the defense. Why they get such a constant pass on this board is beyond me.

Need to spend some money on safeties.

RougeDawg
10-17-2021, 11:07 AM
Execute you can compete. Don?t execute and you get last night. Executed again A&M. End of discussion.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 11:09 AM
Execute you can compete. Don?t execute and you get last night. Executed again A&M. End of discussion.

Agree. It’s why I’m still giving him a chance.

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Exactly. Our defense has been equally as bad as our offense or hell I'll say it- worse. They suck at tackling. Our safeties just somehow leave people wide open. How many 50 yard plus touchdowns have we allowed this year? We have no pass rush. Watson, Emerson, and Jett Johnson who everyone bashes are our only consistent players.

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 11:11 AM

Exactly.

The wide receivers running wrong routes was confusing to me.

We haven't done that all year.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Exactly. Our defense has been equally as bad as our offense or hell I'll say it- worse. They suck at tackling. Our safeties just somehow leave people wide open. How many 50 yard plus touchdowns have we allowed this year? We have no pass rush. Watson, Emerson, and Jett Johnson who everyone bashes are our only consistent players.

Harris played his nutts off as well

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 11:16 AM
Look. I get why people are upset.

But here’s the thing for me. We executed like shit. But that is a well disciplined team that gives effort. And to go from the two years prior to now is an improvement

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 11:24 AM
The defense isn't great, but the offense is what this guy is supposed to bring to the table. When Leach came in nobody expected great defense, so Arnette has overachieved in that regard because we've been decent on D. Meanwhile the AIR RAID is a damn joke, and we can't score points. If you're blaming the D, you need to just admit you were wrong about Leach and stop trying to find ways to defend him. This shit ain't on the D. And the D will only get worse as we fail to recruit on that side bc nobody wants to play defense for a team whose AIR RAID never gives them a lead.

Dawgology
10-17-2021, 11:27 AM
He can beat saban. I saw enough in the first half to make me believe. He doesn?t have the horses. And he?s only going to have the horses if we go buy them for him. I don?t like the scheme personally. But, I saw enough to show me it will work. And this scheme is sabans Achilles heal. We need to spend the majority of our money on defense, obviously. We?re only talking having to buy 3 really good players on O. Two Michael Crabtree?s and one bad ass gunslinger.

We?re stuck with Leach for a few years. Might as well put up the money and see what we can do. And in the grand scheme of things, having to only buy 3 is pretty cheap.

This is the main issue. MSU and our big money booster will never?NEVER?deliver the recruits needed to compete in football. We are completely disorganized in that area and those activities are hampered by our compliance. Intentionally.

NCDawg
10-17-2021, 11:32 AM

But here’s the thing for me. We executed like shit. But that is a well disciplined team that gives effort. And to go from the two years prior to now is an improvement

Improvement when you get beat 40 points by Alabama 2 straight years? OK.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Improvement when you get beat 40 points by Alabama 2 straight years? OK.

Did you miss the moorehead years?

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 11:44 AM
Harris played his nutts off as well

Who?

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 11:47 AM
The defense isn't great, but the offense is what this guy is supposed to bring to the table. When Leach came in nobody expected great defense, so Arnette has overachieved in that regard because we've been decent on D. Meanwhile the AIR RAID is a damn joke, and we can't score points. If you're blaming the D, you need to just admit you were wrong about Leach and stop trying to find ways to defend him. This shit ain't on the D. And the D will only get worse as we fail to recruit on that side bc nobody wants to play defense for a team whose AIR RAID never gives them a lead.

Nice double standard based on arbitrary "expectations" and not actual results.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-17-2021, 11:48 AM

I am not a die hard Leach defender. I think he can win here, and have success. We have improved on offense, but we will have a lot of things to improve on. Turnovers and stalling in the red zone are our two biggest problems that I see. This season we moved the ball pretty decently between the 20's.

Our entire fanbase is acting like Bama's defense sucks because they had a bad game last week at A&M. Well they don't. They are second overall in the SEC in total defense only behind UGA and top 20 in the nation.

Our D on the other hand is not very good. Sure they blitz a lot and get some sacks, but I would trade that in a heartbeat to not have opposing receivers running 30 yards open downfield.

I will save judgement on Leach until the end of the season. I would not even be in favor of firing after next season unless we had a complete catastrophe of a season (something like 4-8)

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 11:48 AM

People hate Leach so much they have forgotten how terrible JoMo was. They're actually some that think he deserved another year or two. The locker room was an opium den and the S&C program was no better than a day spa. Yeah, let's give that two more years.

If Leach doesn't work out he's leaving us a better disciplined, more athletic team that will work well in the Air Raid tree. Bring in a coach from the AR tree that runs the ball and uses a dual threat QB. We're set.

NCDawg
10-17-2021, 11:55 AM

Moorhead didn't beat Alabama either his 2 years at State, but didn't lose to them as bad as we have lost under Leach. We scored ONE Touchdown against Alabama the past 4 years and that was under Moorhead. Talk about pathetic.

defiantdog
10-17-2021, 12:08 PM
This is the main issue. MSU and our big money booster will never?NEVER?deliver the recruits needed to compete in football. We are completely disorganized in that area and those activities are hampered by our compliance. Intentionally.
Our commits for next year are nothing to brag about either. We're gonna get a surprise win here and there but won't be successful unless we adapt.

Coach34
10-17-2021, 12:16 PM
Our commits for next year are nothing to brag about either. We're gonna get a surprise win here and there but won't be successful unless we adapt.

We are currently 31st in composite recruiting and lower than that on Star average.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 12:16 PM
Moorhead didn't beat Alabama either his 2 years at State, but didn't lose to them as bad as we have lost under Leach. We scored ONE Touchdown against Alabama the past 4 years and that was under Moorhead. Talk about pathetic.

We’re passing the hat for the slush fund. There’s a way to fix your complaint.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 12:19 PM
It won?t matter considering that Leach likes to overachieve with lesser guys. He doesn?t really seem to care about recruiting and I believe it?s due to his- it?s the system not the guys running it mentality that he portrays.

FriarsPoint
10-17-2021, 01:09 PM
It won?t matter considering that Leach likes to overachieve with lesser guys. He doesn?t really seem to care about recruiting and I believe it?s due to his- it?s the system not the guys running it mentality that he portrays.

If you buy him the best available, he doesn’t really have a choice does he?

BayouDawg
10-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Some people hardly posted after the tamu win. They have been licking their chops for this this Bama beat down. What a miserable way to live.

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 01:57 PM
Some people hardly posted after the tamu win. They have been licking their chops for this this Bama beat down. What a miserable way to live.

And the same people our hoping we look like shit against Vandy to support the narrative.

BayouDawg
10-17-2021, 01:59 PM
And the same people our hoping we look like shit against Vandy to support the narrative.

Ill never understand being joyful about your team losing. I hate losing no matter what I think about the coach or scheme.

Commercecomet24
10-17-2021, 01:59 PM

Unfortunately this is true. Sad.

Coach34
10-17-2021, 02:04 PM
I bet we look great against Vandy. They are terrible. We are a 23 point favorite. We may be able to score 30 points this week

BayouDawg
10-17-2021, 02:06 PM
I bet we look great against Vandy. They are terrible. We are a 23 point favorite. We may be able to score 30 points this week

In all honesty I will be disappointed if we dont score at least 35. I may join you all on the anti leach train if we only score like 17.

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 02:19 PM

We should look very good against Vandy. If we don't then I'll be pissed. Losing to Bama is one thing but looking like shit against Vandy is totally unacceptable even in my sunny side opinion.

Commercecomet24
10-17-2021, 02:28 PM
We should look very good against Vandy. If we don't then I'll be pissed. Losing to Bama is one thing but looking like shit against Vandy is totally unacceptable even in my sunny side opinion.

Agreed this is one we need to come out and dominate

Percho
10-17-2021, 03:16 PM
Yesterday?s loss wasn?t about Leach or Saban ?it was about the Jimmy?s and the Joe?s. Usually the team that has superior athletes win, true in any sport. Nobddy has better players than Alabama. Who,thinks a Coach can take over a program and completely change the style of play and be successful in 1 year in the SEC west? Just a couple weeks ago everyone was loving Sam Pittman, now 3 loses in a row, he doesn?t look so great. What about ole Dan. Left us to go to a big time program, his ass is now sucking wind. Give Leach some time and then love him or crucify him. The potential , I can see it. Shit, we?ve beaten A&M and NC State. Get on board and see what can happen.

We know Leach wins if given time. Remember When John Cohen came , he was always a winner. But It took Him time to turn us around. The same whinny ass fans were wanting to fire Him. Guess what ?he got us in a National Championship game. Let?s at least see how,this season turn out.

Best post I have seen in a while. Just how long did it take to build Rome? Instant gratification is what is wrong with mankind.

confucius say
10-17-2021, 05:09 PM
Nice double standard based on arbitrary "expectations" and not actual results.

The offense has improved the last 12 months.
The defense has not.
Neither is good.

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 05:17 PM
The offense has improved the last 12 months.
The defense has not.
Neither is good.

This is the truth.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 05:59 PM

Call them out. 😂

BayouDawg
10-17-2021, 06:16 PM
Call them out. 😂

Nah Ive got too much to do this week. I cant be starting any keyboard wars.

Todd4State
10-17-2021, 11:06 PM

We didn't get beat as bad because we had the number one defense in the country.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
10-18-2021, 12:51 AM
Best post I have seen in a while. Just how long did it take to build Rome? Instant gratification is what is wrong with mankind.

I?ve been a state fan since 1987. During that stretch. Most conference wins has been 6 including the run to 1 in the country. Not to mention 17 losing seasons. I come to the realization long ago that it doesn?t matter the coach. Many were fire Mullen, then Moorhead.
, now leach. State will always sprinkle in some nice seasons but they are few and far in between. Getting 7 wins a year and a bowl is the absolute ceiling any fan should realistically hope otherwise it?s gonna to be real disappointment.

Dawgfan77
10-18-2021, 06:51 AM
I?ve been a state fan since 1987. During that stretch. Most conference wins has been 6 including the run to 1 in the country. Not to mention 17 losing seasons. I come to the realization long ago that it doesn?t matter the coach. Many were fire Mullen, then Moorhead.
, now leach. State will always sprinkle in some nice seasons but they are few and far in between. Getting 7 wins a year and a bowl is the absolute ceiling any fan should realistically hope otherwise it?s gonna to be real disappointment.
So you think the ceiling should be 7? Not the floor?
This just drips of the old state attitude. Well let's just be competitive and hope we go to a bowl...
Mullen showed us we can compete, we were all in until SS left us for UF. When Keenum hired JC as AD we reverted back to the old days and it appears some of our fans did as well.

basedog
10-18-2021, 09:22 AM
Agreed this is one we need to come out and dominate

IFFY with a banged up QB, I see another conservative offensive game plan. Now on defense I think we have a better chance of being aggressive and go all out on a terrible Vandy team.

I hope we win 45-0, but the next game with Kentucky will be the game we need to come out "smoking"!

Santiago
10-18-2021, 09:24 AM

I hope if up that much we try to get QB2 some reps, just in case of injury rest of the way to QB1

Thick
10-18-2021, 11:12 AM

Me too Hoops! I?m just letting it all play out until it?s time to hire someone else. I don?t even get upset, bc I have no expectations of success.

Tbonewannabe
10-18-2021, 11:19 AM
Yesterday?s loss wasn?t about Leach or Saban ?it was about the Jimmy?s and the Joe?s. Usually the team that has superior athletes win, true in any sport. Nobddy has better players than Alabama. Who,thinks a Coach can take over a program and completely change the style of play and be successful in 1 year in the SEC west? Just a couple weeks ago everyone was loving Sam Pittman, now 3 loses in a row, he doesn?t look so great. What about ole Dan. Left us to go to a big time program, his ass is now sucking wind. Give Leach some time and then love him or crucify him. The potential , I can see it. Shit, we?ve beaten A&M and NC State. Get on board and see what can happen.

We know Leach wins if given time. Remember When John Cohen came , he was always a winner. But It took Him time to turn us around. The same whinny ass fans were wanting to fire Him. Guess what ?he got us in a National Championship game. Let?s at least see how,this season turn out.

I am all about giving Leach the entire year before making a decision. However, Cohen took over a roster that had no balance and was mostly devoid of SEC level talent. This is not even close to what Cohen had to deal with. In those first two years, we had a right fielder that came in to close a game against a good Ole Miss team. Normally that isn't a huge deal but that RF was a redshirt senior who hadn't pitched in 5 years. That was our roster at the time.

Cowbell
10-18-2021, 11:26 AM

I don't see the great discipline

Cowbell
10-18-2021, 11:28 AM
The biggest issue with Leach is he lacks humility. He rarely places blame on himself and is yet to realize that he is not putting our players in the best position to succeed. We have been out coached in every game but two this year.

FISHDAWG
10-18-2021, 11:59 AM
The biggest issue with Leach is he lacks humility. He rarely places blame on himself and is yet to realize that he is not putting our players in the best position to succeed. We have been out coached in every game but two this year.

^^^ THIS is the camp I'm in

Bdawg
10-18-2021, 06:18 PM

Hey I'm not really happy either right now, but every postgame interview I've seen this year(haven't seen Bama) he's said he has to coach better every single time. Im still on the fence right now and I think the man at least deserves proper time, but I think he better learn to adapt a some to put the ball in the endzone(especially in the redzone).

NCDawg
10-18-2021, 09:02 PM
Hey I'm not really happy either right now, but every postgame interview I've seen this year(haven't seen Bama) he's said he has to coach better every single time. Im still on the fence right now and I think the man at least deserves proper time, but I think he better learn to adapt a some to put the ball in the endzone(especially in the redzone).

We have a tough time running the ball, especially in the red zone, and that makes it difficult for us to score touchdowns.

R2Dawg
10-18-2021, 09:18 PM

I'm not sure what he means by that. I think it is just coach speak. If he means it then do something about it. Change something. Saban came up with a new D to play us, what has he done in 25 years? Not changed a thing. He doesn't change anything in game either. You will never win anywhere like the SEC if you don't change long term and in game. Too much good coaching and players.

Bdawg
10-18-2021, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure what he means by that. I think it is just coach speak. If he means it then do something about it. Change something. Saban came up with a new D to play us, what has he done in 25 years? Not changed a thing. He doesn't change anything in game either. You will never win anywhere like the SEC if you don't change long term and in game. Too much good coaching and players.

I agree. I think he needs to adapt some, especially in the redzone. We have to have some kind of power play on goal line and other plays to get us in. Right now, we might as well take a penalty if we get inside the 15 to give us room to operate, because our success rate on TDs is pathetic inside the 10 or 15. I figured we would at least try all kinds rub routes and pick plays down there to at least get a guy open(and maybe we do and I just can't see it on tv or we really suck at it), I mean it's not like it's hard to draw up something and add new wrinkles. Heck we did it in high school. We would create new plays or put in different wrinkles each week based on film. Can't be that hard for an offensive "genius" like him!

Bdawg
10-18-2021, 09:48 PM
We have a tough time running the ball, especially in the red zone, and that makes it difficult for us to score touchdowns.

Well we don't really try it enough or have enough plays in the arsenal right now. And sadly, probably never will. If we would just hit the back out of the backfield on the first read instead of the last sometimes, that would at least be like a toss sweep. But instead we wait till he's 20 yards away and fling it out there right in front of defenders to get him killed after he's gone through all the progressions. Our RBs should have a lot more routes than just that one(sometimes they turn it into a wheel but very seldom).

yjnkdawg
10-18-2021, 09:52 PM

It's sad, but that's got be pretty much the norm on ED now. Some come out of the woodwork so they can post negative things on our athletic programs, and/or they post to feed their agendas.

BayouDawg
10-18-2021, 09:59 PM
Well we don't really try it enough or have enough plays in the arsenal right now. And sadly, probably never will. If we would just hit the back out of the backfield on the first read instead of the last sometimes, that would at least be like a toss sweep. But instead we wait till he's 20 yards away and fling it out there right in front of defenders to get him killed after he's gone through all the progressions. Our RBs should have a lot more routs than just that one(sometimes they turn it into a wheel but very seldom).

I watched a lot of Washington state games over the summer and they were successfull in the red zone because they ran it better. I think our lineman are getting the pass blocking every play down but they struggle going back to the run blocking mentality on run plays. So I think red zone woes will be cured with better running.

Coach34
10-18-2021, 10:02 PM
I watched a lot of Washington state games over the summer and they were successfull in the red zone because they ran it better. I think our lineman are getting the pass blocking every play down but they struggle going back to the run blocking mentality on run plays. So I think red zone woes will be cured with better running.

What you are missing is that they were going against Pac-12 defenses instead of SEC defenses. It's like buying a chevrolet vs a toyota.

Bdawg
10-18-2021, 10:06 PM
What you are missing is that they were going against Pac-12 defenses instead of SEC defenses. It's like buying a chevrolet vs a toyota.

Yep. But why do we struggle with run blocking it seems? Just don't practice it? Hell it ain't hard. Fire off and push the hell out of people in front of you!!! They been doing it ever since they were playing football. Our guys should be big and strong enough to move some SEC Dlinemen out of the way.

confucius say
10-18-2021, 10:12 PM
Slanting into and shooting gaps with big splits. When defenses do it on the goal line or short yardage it kills us. When the sit back and only rush 4 in those situations we run it fine.

BayouDawg
10-18-2021, 10:12 PM

Fair point but my point was that their lineman were better at staying low on their run blocking plays. Our lineman stand straight up on run plays.

Barking 13
10-19-2021, 04:17 AM
In my 50ish years of watching bulldog football, I’ve seen the same mistakes and such happening no matter who the coach is or what ever scheme we are running. Could it just be the Indian curse?

Maverick91
10-19-2021, 11:56 AM

Yeah, I agree. That is one of the first things he said is that the staff has to reach these kids.

Dawgfan77
10-20-2021, 06:36 AM

Actually he says coaches have to coach better not him. God for bid someone questioning the great Mike Leach and his Air Raid.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 06:54 AM
Actually he says coaches have to coach better not him. God for bid someone questioning the great Mike Leach and his Air Raid.

Are you kidding me? Really knit picking aren't you? You don't think he includes himself when referring to coaches? I'm pretty sure he's used the word "we" when referring to the coaches on multiple occasions. Secondly, you can criticize him all you want. I think he deserves some for sure. But I'm not the kind who gives a man only 2 years(including a crappy Covid practice year) and ready to fire him because things aren't going great. JoMo was my exception, because it was on obvious he had lost the team. But no, he's not above criticism and if there is no improvement next year his seat will certainly be warmer for me.

Dawgfan77
10-20-2021, 07:55 AM
Are you kidding me? Really knit picking aren't you? You don't think he includes himself when referring to coaches? I'm pretty sure he's used the word "we" when referring to the coaches on multiple occasions. Secondly, you can criticize him all you want. I think he deserves some for sure. But I'm not the kind who gives a man only 2 years(including a crappy Covid practice year) and ready to fire him because things aren't going great. JoMo was my exception, because it was on obvious he had lost the team. But no, he's not above criticism and if there is no improvement next year his seat will certainly be warmer for me.

We hired a 60 year old coach set in his ways and will not adapt and thinks this system will. work no matter what. Want some insight... here you go. Only film he watches is us, he says the AR is simple but demands reps, so all we do is rep... we don't game plan for other teams we just rep and rep and rep... this a damn SEC school and at practice we rep against sometimes.... yep....AIR...
Something else that needs brought up. In all ML stops he has not once added or adapted plays... yep in 20 years as a HC he is running the same plays and system he did in 2000....20 years. Also out of his coaching tree, he considers non of those coashes as AR coaches and therefore doesn't look to them for ways to improve. Those coaches, holgerson, Riley, Briles, and Kingsberry all have adapted cause they know the true AR is a dinosaur.. we are seeing how bad it really is against sec defense. And now we see a crusty old man stuck in his ways passing the blame to others coaches and players... sound familiar. Don't get me started on recruiting. By all means flame away but this is what's happening to our program right now.

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-20-2021, 07:59 AM
IMO, the fault is on Cohen because of what 77 just laid out. If Leach doesn?t work out, it?s on Cohen. What makes us think Leach would change now if he never has?we can?t hire a coach that has always done the same thing and then get mad when he doesn?t change. A track record has been established.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 08:13 AM
We hired a 60 year old coach set in his ways and will not adapt and thinks this system will. work no matter what. Want some insight... here you go. Only film he watches is us, he says the AR is simple but demands reps, so all we do is rep... we don't game plan for other teams we just rep and rep and rep... this a damn SEC school and at practice we rep against sometimes.... yep....AIR...
Something else that needs brought up. In all ML stops he has not once added or adapted plays... yep in 20 years as a HC he is running the same plays and system he did in 2000....20 years. Also out of his coaching tree, he considers non of those coashes as AR coaches and therefore doesn't look to them for ways to improve. Those coaches, holgerson, Riley, Briles, and Kingsberry all have adapted cause they know the true AR is a dinosaur.. we are seeing how bad it really is against sec defense. And now we see a crusty old man stuck in his ways passing the blame to others coaches and players... sound familiar. Don't get me started on recruiting. By all means flame away but this is what's happening to our program right now.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Like I said, he's not above criticism. But it's not like we didn't know this when hiring him. What you just laid out sounds like a hiring problem to me. But you are still wrong about him not taking blame, which is what you were originally taking about. Now you've morphed into scheme and running a program, which I agree a lot with you.

Coach34
10-20-2021, 08:15 AM
Get to 6 and continue the bowl streak. Thats what matters for him this season.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 08:17 AM
IMO, the fault is on Cohen because of what 77 just laid out. If Leach doesn?t work out, it?s on Cohen. What makes us think Leach would change now if he never has?we can?t hire a coach that has always done the same thing and then get mad when he doesn?t change. A track record has been established.

I agree. What else can we expect. He believes in tons of reps. I'm sure he doesn't believe it running like a sewing machine right now either. And you know what, he may never get the players to run it either, because we are always an average recruiter no matter the coach. Until that changes, expect similar results.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 08:19 AM
Get to 6 and continue the bowl streak. Thats what matters for him this season.

Yeah you got to show steady improvement. We will see if that happens.

Dawgfan77
10-20-2021, 08:25 AM
I agree. What else can we expect. He believes in tons of reps. I'm sure he doesn't believe it running like a sewing machine right now either. And you know what, he may never get the players to run it either, because we are always an average recruiter no matter the coach. Until that changes, expect similar results.

You also have to understand the talent gap between 200-09 Big 12 and 13-18 pac 12 compared to the SEC. hell he lost to Eastern Washington and Portland state at WSU. But yeah. Hell of coach! You can now add Memphis to his list of teams he loses to as well

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-20-2021, 08:40 AM
When Leach came to prominence, teams were still running the ball the majority of the time. He was an anomaly airing it out. Now, everyone throws it around. Defenses are built to defend the pass. LB aren?t just run stoppers anymore.

Maverick91
10-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Start listening at 2:05. how is the world can you not say he is not including himself in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsmtBj0Fdw

Lord McBuckethead
10-20-2021, 09:06 AM

When teams drop back to throw the ball, I assume and are quickly proven correct, their receivers are wide open, behind our guys, or both almost every play. We simply do not play tight defense.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 10:46 AM
You also have to understand the talent gap between 200-09 Big 12 and 13-18 pac 12 compared to the SEC. hell he lost to Eastern Washington and Portland state at WSU. But yeah. Hell of coach! You can now add Memphis to his list of teams he loses to as well

I haven't called him a "hell of a coach" by any means. That loss sucked and shouldn't have happened. We played crappy, but you have to credit him for NC State and aTm. I think you and I are closer to the same feelings about Leach than you think. I said in first post I'm still on the fence right now.

NCDawg
10-20-2021, 11:30 AM

I agree. Seems blitzing is the only way we can put pressure on the QB and when we do, it leaves somebody open. When you have a QB with a quick release like the Alabama QB, you will more than likely get burned. Pretty clear that out safety's are having a lot of problems keeping up with speedy W/R's. One of them especially doesn't tackle very well.

Bdawg
10-20-2021, 11:48 AM
Start listening at 2:05. how is the world can you not say he is not including himself in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsmtBj0Fdw

I heard us and we an awful lot and none of them and they when referring to coaches.