PDA

View Full Version : Air Riad 8 Qtrs vs AlaBama, ZERO TDs

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2021, 09:32 PM
The press conference is sooooo interesting though.

msstate7
10-16-2021, 09:35 PM
We went air raid to compete with bama, right?

Quaoarsking
10-16-2021, 09:36 PM
We hired Leach to beat teams like NC State and Texas A&M. There was no hire that was going to beat Alabama in anything beyond a rare fluke.

msstate7
10-16-2021, 09:37 PM
We hired Leach to beat teams like NC State and Texas A&M. There was no hire that was going to beat Alabama in anything beyond a rare fluke.

We beat aTm with the offense we had, and we didn't lose to lesser teams much at all

Dawgfan77
10-16-2021, 09:38 PM
No we went air raid cuz Cohen thought he would outsmart everyone. Look we got beat that's that but this isn't going to work long term. We just are a school that attracts run first type QBs and OL.

R2Dawg
10-16-2021, 09:39 PM

We already beat those teams. That is not good logic. Wake up.

Quaoarsking
10-16-2021, 09:39 PM
We beat aTm with the offense we had, and we didn't lose to lesser teams much at all

I mean, you could argue that Moorhead's win over Texas A&M in 2018 (who finished #16) was better than any win over the entire Mullen era (no wins better than 2017 LSU, who finished #18), but that means Leach might top it twice this year.

R2Dawg
10-16-2021, 09:40 PM
No we went air raid cuz Cohen thought he would outsmart everyone. Look we got beat that's that but this isn't going to work long term. We just are a school that attracts run first type QBs and OL.

The type players we get is one thing but that ain't why it won't work. That has been beat to death. We see proof every week.

msstate7
10-16-2021, 09:42 PM
I mean, you could argue that Moorhead's win over Texas A&M in 2018 (who finished #16) was better than any win over the entire Mullen era (no wins better than 2017 LSU, who finished #18), but that means Leach might top it twice this year.

And we finish 5-7, awesome

lastmajordog
10-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Mullen could have beaten bama with the 16 team.... but he left....TY you ****

msstate7
10-16-2021, 09:43 PM
Mullen could have beaten bama with the 16 team.... but he left....

'18, and I doubt it. We shouldn't base anything on bama game though

Quaoarsking
10-16-2021, 09:44 PM
And we finish 5-7, awesome

I mean, I hope not. That would suck pretty hard.

MaroonFlounder
10-16-2021, 09:45 PM
Doesn't work in the redzone. We kick FGs or (last year) go for it on 4th and either don't make it or throw in INT.

It is what it is.

msstate7
10-16-2021, 09:46 PM
I mean, I hope not. That would suck pretty hard.

We'll beat vandy and tn st for sure. Out of Kentucky, ark, auburn, and OM, I say we get 1, so 6-6

Dawgfan77
10-16-2021, 09:46 PM
The type players we get is one thing but that ain't why it won't work. That has been beat to death. We see proof every week.
Yes I was trying to be more specific. We won't get the types of players to compete.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-16-2021, 09:47 PM
Mercer has scored more TDs against BAMA in one game than we have in the last 4 against BAMA.

IMissJack
10-16-2021, 09:48 PM

Our AD puts effort and money into football to win 6-8 games per year, and that is what we will mostly do (6-7). They are not going to spend more to get 1-2 more wins. That is very evident. This is what our administration has settled to be. There is no plan or inclination to try to do better.

Dawgfan77
10-16-2021, 09:50 PM
We won't win 6. Next week will be closer than it should.

parabrave
10-16-2021, 09:54 PM
Guys here is one that our resident coach/coffee salesman will harp on and rightfully should. -1 yard rushing. Suck it Leach

Dawgfan77
10-16-2021, 09:58 PM
Guys here is one that our resident coach/coffee salesman will harp on and rightfully should. -1 yard rushing. Suck it Leach

Was this directed at me?

Homedawg
10-16-2021, 10:01 PM
We'll beat vandy and tn st for sure. Out of Kentucky, ark, auburn, and OM, I say we get 1, so 6-6

Just get me to 6-6 and I'll take it after the debacle to Memphis. I thought we were 5-7 6-6 before the year started and had Memphis as a win

msstate7
10-16-2021, 10:02 PM
Just get me to 6-6 and I'll take it after the debacle to Memphis. I thought we were 5-7 6-6 before the year started and had Memphis as a win

6-6 is a good season, I agree. I won't be disappointed at all with that

Quaoarsking
10-16-2021, 10:05 PM

Sounds like we're actually on the same page.

HoopsDawg
10-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Most thought 6-6 with this schedule was the floor.

msstate7
10-16-2021, 10:09 PM

I didn't

parabrave
10-16-2021, 10:10 PM
Was this directed at me?

Nope but I can't wait to read his Sunday Morning commentary/

Quaoarsking
10-16-2021, 10:12 PM

That's not the impression that I get when I look at the preseason prediction threads...

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2021, 10:36 PM
I'd be on board with this rebrand, offense if leach was stacking up 4 star QBs and wrs. But he isn't.

Throw the ball. Run it. Whatever. You better get some players in here. Otherwise, we are stuck with a roster of 3 star wrs and QBs in 3 years and screwed for years.

I'm so pissed. We were sold the "air raid." Its garbage.

vindastra
10-16-2021, 11:25 PM
I'd be on board with this rebrand, offense if leach was stacking up 4 star QBs and wrs. But he isn't.

Throw the ball. Run it. Whatever. You better get some players in here. Otherwise, we are stuck with a roster of 3 star wrs and QBs in 3 years and screwed for years.

I'm so pissed. We were sold the "air raid." Its garbage.

But isn't this what we have done all along? Have a bunch of 3 stars and no stars and keep "believing" that some miracle will happen. Whether we pound the ground or raid the air, it doesn't matter, we are not breaking through.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2021, 12:05 AM
But isn't this what we have done all along? Have a bunch of 3 stars and no stars and keep "believing" that some miracle will happen. Whether we pound the ground or raid the air, it doesn't matter, we are not breaking through.

Yeah. Mississippi State is what it is. There is 40 years (at least) of proof in the modern era. However in those 40 years we've been much more competitive with Alabama and others doing it the "old way".

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 12:27 AM
Yeah. Mississippi State is what it is. There is 40 years (at least) of proof in the modern era. However in those 40 years we've been much more competitive with Alabama and others doing it the "old way".

Have we though? We haven't beaten Alabama since 2007 and have only come close in 2014 and 2017. We've beaten them 7 times in the last 60+ years, but only the 1980 and 1996 Alabama teams were any good at all. We just can't judge a coach by how he does against Alabama - it's always going to be very bad until something changes with how talent is distributed.

Mullen beat 3 teams that finished ranked in 9 years, Moorhead once in 2 years (though that one really is more of a credit to what Mullen left behind). We'll see how this year ends up, but it's probably going to be at least 2 in Leach's second year alone.

That's not nearly enough of a sample size for any conclusions, but it's possible to make a case that the air raid is showing some early signs of changing what's "normal" for us.

Dawgology
10-17-2021, 12:28 AM

This is what I have been saying ad nauseum. Until this school gets serious about football recruiting nothing will really change. Probably will get worse as all other SEC programs up their ante but we stay the same. This administration has no real plan or vision for football recruiting. We need a change in compliance and AD but we will have to have a change at President first.

IMissJack
10-17-2021, 12:30 AM
This is what I have been saying ad nauseum. Until this school gets serious about football recruiting nothing will really change. Probably will get worse as all other SEC programs up their ante but we stay the same. This administration has no real plan or vision for football recruiting. We need a change in compliance and AD but we will have to have a change at President first.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawgology again.

Bothrops
10-17-2021, 06:06 AM
If you ever want Mississippi State to beat Saban, you have to do what Ole Miss did and buy/add about 12-15 blue chip recruits to your roster. Then you have to have a quarterback, a real one, and a quick strike vertical passing offense.

RezDog7
10-17-2021, 07:43 AM

Mullen should be available soon.

RezDog7
10-17-2021, 07:45 AM
'18, and I doubt it. We shouldn't base anything on bama game though

Yet, here you are, bitching we lost to bama.

R2Dawg
10-17-2021, 08:44 AM
Have we though? We haven't beaten Alabama since 2007 and have only come close in 2014 and 2017. We've beaten them 7 times in the last 60+ years, but only the 1980 and 1996 Alabama teams were any good at all. We just can't judge a coach by how he does against Alabama - it's always going to be very bad until something changes with how talent is distributed.

Mullen beat 3 teams that finished ranked in 9 years, Moorhead once in 2 years (though that one really is more of a credit to what Mullen left behind). We'll see how this year ends up, but it's probably going to be at least 2 in Leach's second year alone.

That's not nearly enough of a sample size for any conclusions, but it's possible to make a case that the air raid is showing some early signs of changing what's "normal" for us.

Of those 7 times, what kind of teams were they? This years version of Bama is one of Sabans most vulnerable and air raid got destroyed.

Agree can't judge everything just off Bama.

On the talent thing, unless we become a power, we ain't getting Bama talent - no one is. But a few years ago, NFL top 100 players were ranked and MSU was 4th most of college schools. So we may not have had recruiting titles like so many want. I don't care, that is what OM wants. We have produced some talent to win and compete.

You also can't just judge on end of year rankings. Teams change, get worse, get better. We've beaten lots of good teams the only way MSU can. We can do it again too.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 08:55 AM
I didn't

Wait, so let me get this straight.....If I went in to this season thinking we were shit, and we turned out to be shit....that's a "good" thing since they met my expectations?

Am I understanding y'all correctly?

msstate7
10-17-2021, 09:00 AM
Wait, so let me get this straight.....If I went in to this season thinking we were shit, and we turned out to be shit....that's a "good" thing since they met my expectations?

Am I understanding y'all correctly?

I don't think we're good. I hate our system. Am I happy with 6-6? No, not really, but I realize we're very limited. "Good" was probably a bad word choice... "acceptable" woulda been better.

ETA... I don't think we can fire leach any time soon, so I'm hoping to tread water until we can move on

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 09:05 AM
I don't think we're good. I hate our system. Am I happy with 6-6? No, not really, but I realize we're very limited. "Good" was probably a bad word choice... "acceptable" woulda been better.

ETA... I don't think we can fire leach any time soon, so I'm hoping to tread water until we can move on

I would have rather kicked rocks with JoMo than watch this garbage. At least he recruited and wasn't one dimensional. We still would suck balls, but at least we wouldn't need a total personnel overhaul like we will when the "national treasure" leaves.

And I F'ing hated JoMo as a coach. (Seemed like a decent guy though)

msstate7
10-17-2021, 09:06 AM
"Well, this is the first time we've had back to back 40 point losses to Bama since 1971-1972. Of course we all knew we were going to lose to Alabama. But the way we lost is concerning, to say the least." -patdog on sps

Ouch

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 09:07 AM
"Well, this is the first time we've had back to back 40 point losses to Bama since 1971-1972. Of course we all knew we were going to lose to Alabama. But the way we lost is concerning, to say the least." -patdog on sps

Ouch

Yikes

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 09:17 AM
I would have rather kicked rocks with JoMo than watch this garbage. At least he recruited and wasn't one dimensional. We still would suck balls, but at least we wouldn't need a total personnel overhaul like we will when the "national treasure" leaves.

And I F'ing hated JoMo as a coach. (Seemed like a decent guy though)

JoMo would have lost to LSU and Missouri last year, and to NC State and Texas A&M this year. He damn sure wouldn't have won any games Leach lost.

But at least he would have run the ball some?

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 09:20 AM
JoMo would have lost to LSU and Missouri last year, and to NC State and Texas A&M this year. He damn sure wouldn't have won any games Leach lost.

But at least he would have run the ball some?

Who cares. You're missing the point. Neither is taking us where we want to go, so I'd have rather gone with the one that will have left us a little talent and some semblance of personnel for a balanced team when we get a new coach

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 09:22 AM
Who cares. You're missing the point. Neither is taking us where we want to go, so I'd have rather gone with the one that will have left us a little talent and some semblance of personnel for a balanced team when we get a new coach

I don't know, I'd rather be 4-7 and 3-3 than 1-9 and 1-5.

CadaverDawg
10-17-2021, 09:24 AM
I don't know, I'd rather be 4-7 and 3-3 than 1-9 and 1-5.

Is your goal 4-7 (3-3)???

I want to ****ing WIN! I don't want to be the skinniest kid at fat camp.

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Is your goal 4-7 (3-3)???

I want to ****ing WIN! I don't want to be the skinniest kid at fat camp.

I think we all want to fuсking win. I just don't see us as being in bad of shape as you do. Let's see how the last 6 games go.

Maroonthirteen
10-17-2021, 09:39 AM
I think we all want to fuсking win. I just don't see us as being in bad of shape as you do. Let's see how the last 6 games go.

Yep. Let's see. So far with Costello for two quarters and Rogers for 6 quarters, this offense has produced zero TDs vs Alabama. This offense was supposed to neutralize the playing field for us. So far, nope.

Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas and OM will be good test. If this offense is truly gives us some competitive advantage, we should see it in those games. Which are closer in terms of talent (recruiting)

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 09:43 AM
I know that many want to justify how we currently feel by saying yesterday was worse, but looking back at a 1000 ft view, I?m not sure I feel that way.

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 09:47 AM
Yep. Let's see. So far with Costello for two quarters and Rogers for 6 quarters, this offense has produced zero TDs vs Alabama. This offense was supposed to neutralize the playing field for us. So far, nope.

Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas and OM will be good test. If this offense is truly gives us some competitive advantage, we should see it in those games. Which are closer in terms of talent (recruiting)

Agreed. If we don't make it to a bowl (which would require us to just go 1-3 against those 4 teams you listed), I will have no choice but to admit Leach isn't working out as well as I desperately want him to.

I think we're more likely to finish 7-5 than 5-7 though. Kentucky and Ole Miss are going down. (And still finishing ranked, which will give Leach more wins over ranked teams this year than Mullen had in his whole career here.)

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Agreed. If we don't make it to a bowl (which would require us to just go 1-3 against those 4 teams you listed), I will have no choice but to admit Leach isn't working out as well as I desperately want him to.

I think we're more likely to finish 7-5 than 5-7 though. Kentucky and Ole Miss are going down. (And still finishing ranked, which will give Leach more wins over ranked teams this year than Mullen had in his whole career here.)
Aside from help from injuries, what logical reasoning do you have that leads you to believe that UK and OM are going down? Are they both going to have their worst game of the year Vs MSU?

TrapGame
10-17-2021, 09:55 AM

Absolutely. This will be a mark of how well this offense has come along. Win two of those and have a good showing in the losses. That would mean sufficient progress. Lose all four and some serious questions emerge no one can ignore.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 09:56 AM
Like button push 👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼

Quaoarsking
10-17-2021, 10:04 AM
Aside from help from injuries, what logical reasoning do you have that leads you to believe that UK and OM are going down? Are they both going to have their worst game of the year Vs MSU?

Neither one of them has resumes or talent levels sufficient enough to make me think they'll come into Starkville and beat us?

I mean, they might. I don't think we're a 100% lock to beat either, not even close. I just predict we lose on the road to Arkansas and Auburn and win at home against Ole Miss and Kentucky. Maybe we'll steal one of those road ones.

msstate7
10-17-2021, 10:08 AM
Neither one of them has resumes or talent levels sufficient enough to make me think they'll come into Starkville and beat us?

I mean, they might. I don't think we're a 100% lock to beat either, not even close. I just predict we lose on the road to Arkansas and Auburn and win at home against Ole Miss and Kentucky.

I like our chances vs Kentucky the best. OM's biggest strength (big plays) on offense is our biggest weakness. Not sure we'll be able to keep pace.

Our starting qb had a shoulder injury last night too. I know he played thru it, but we still don't know what's going on there.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 12:33 PM
👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼 AC joint separation makes already weak arms weaker and will nag him until he can rest it.

Dak Holliday
10-17-2021, 12:48 PM

I mean, they might. I don't think we're a 100% lock to beat either, not even close. I just predict we lose on the road to Arkansas and Auburn and win at home against Ole Miss and Kentucky. Maybe we'll steal one of those road ones.

OM and UK are one loss teams. OM has a better QB, RBs, WR, OL, and better offensive scheme/coaching. UK is the 2020?s version of MSU and looks to be doing it as good or better than we ever did. Barring benefiting from an injury- and we might need luck on Rogers shoulder- I don?t see us beating either. I can see UK wanting to beat us more badly than OM.

parabrave
10-17-2021, 01:12 PM
OM and UK are one loss teams. OM has a better QB, RBs, WR, OL, and better offensive scheme/coaching. UK is the 2020?s version of MSU and looks to be doing it as good or better than we ever did. Barring benefiting from an injury- and we might need luck on Rogers shoulder- I don?t see us beating either. I can see UK wanting to beat us more badly than OM.

Remember both of them will be playing for the Sugar Bowl if Bama wins out.