PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Getting Better Edition

Coach34
11-17-2013, 11:19 AM
1. Crowd showed up and did their part last night. Even worked hard to combat the jumbotron attempting to suck the life out of the stadium.

2. Once again, we had a good plan- Bama is just so ****ing good on Defense. We had some scoring ops we just couldnt finish off. Our coaching staff really does some things well. However, we did have some glaring mistakes.

3. Tyler didnt play a bad football game. He made a few good throws and he obviously has a rapport with MoJo. But he is soft. No other way to say it without being mean. He is soft. And when we needed him in the 4th, he couldnt go yet again. He held the ball too long a few times costing us some plays- and then the pick he threw into triple coverage was ridiculous. He bounced the 1st pass of the game to a wide open Perkins. He is what he is and I wish him well in whatever major he has studied- because he wont be on any NFL roster.

4. Lather-rinse-repeat. Perkins plays wayyy more than he should, JRob and the others dont. 2nd and 1 from the Bama 2 yd line- and we hand it to Perkins? Why????? We have 3 RB's that run it harder than he does and we are playing the nation's best defense. Why is Perkins even in the game?
3rd and 1 and we throw- getting a penalty. RTGDF!!!! and with a bigger RB. I would rather run the ball 3 straight times and not make it than do the shit we do all the time there. 5-wide on 3rd and 1 from the 2 is just a shitty playcall with our personnel.

5. WR's dropping critical passes still. We put our true Freshmen in there- and he throws a bullet to Jameon who drops it. Then he throws a strike to Wilson who drops what would have been a TD. That shit can't happen in big games.

6. Jameon absolutely killed us in the punt return game. We have got to have someone better than him. We have to.

7. Hats off to Collins and Crew for a great defensive plan and effort. I told you guys we had one of the better DL's in the SEC coming into the season- and they are certainly showing it. And we get almost all of them back for next year. Eulls is finally making some plays. Jones is a beast DT- but he did get reached a couple of times that led to big runs. But Jones forces the pocket back which is huge, and even when he wasnt able to get pressure- he got those big mitts up to deflect a pass or make it hard for AJ to deliver.

8. How good are we going to be at LB next year with the Killer B's? Benardrick, Bennie, and R, Brown. McKinney and Bennie Brown played some outstanding football last night. They should play well again next week against UPig's grind it out offense. They are still a work in progress in coverage and that's why they are up and down vs Spread teams. But this group has really gotten better- along with Wells.

9. Secondary played well. Whitley not playing as much helped also. Love dropping that potential Pick-6 was huge- but State is gonna State in big games like that and not take advantage. Redmond got beat on the TD but he had good coverage- not much more he could do. AJ made some really good throws against us in zone- getting them some big 1st downs. This group has been relatively healthy lately and it's starting to show with better results.

10. Aaaaaaaaand the CB blitz gives up another TD pass. Worst defensive call in football. I'll never understand what makes a coach think that it's a good idea under any circumstances.

Bottom line- this football team is getting better. We have gone toe-to-toe with 3 top 10 teams the last 3 weeks and are showing we can indeed compete. We just commit a bad turnover, drop a pass, miss a FG, or couldnt stop Manziel from getting the ball to one of his 5-star WR's. It sux to be 4-6, but with our worst loss being to a 7-3 LSU team, thats our reality. 5 of our losses are to the top 11-12 in the country. Nobody else can remotely come close to that.

Hopefully we have a QB healthy enough to get us a win next week. Obviously we need Dakota to play badly, but I'm not sure our offense wouldnt be about as good with Williams as it would with Russell. At least there would be more toughness. Hopefully we can come out pumped up and build off last night's effort.

Goat Holder
11-17-2013, 11:24 AM
95% agree except for RB personnel. I just don't think we have it. I think Perkins is the best we got, thus the calls we get. JMO from what I saw last night.

And we're going 4-8, especially after the news I just received. I just hope it's not true. Put it this way, I COMPLETELY disagree with you about Williams running the offense.

Dawgface
11-17-2013, 11:29 AM
I hope Dak plays too, if not Williams should play some even if
Tyler can go. He can run the ball and showed he can pass a little.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Good post, Coach, I completely agree.

There are several things during a game that as fans we just have to learn to live with....like Love not catching the pick, Wilson dropping the pass, Swedenburg shanking a punt, etc. but there are several things that we don't have to just accept, and that we get sick to death of, like...

Perkins. Why the hell is he even playing? Why is he in on short yardage? Where is JRob and Shump? How many times does Perkins have to slip before someone gets the bastard some longer cleats?

Lewis on punts. How many times does he have to kill us in the return game before we replace him with someone else? When it happens once, fine...but 2, 3, and 4 times?? Our ST coach needs to start working with someone like Redmond at returning punts, and get Lewis out of there. 99% of our skill players probably returned punts in high school...it can't be that hard to find a replacement.

Corner blitzes. Have we ever come close to getting to the QB on a corner blitz? Just a dumb, dumb, play call.

I pretty much agree with the whole post.

State82
11-17-2013, 01:24 PM
And we're going 4-8, especially after the news I just received. I just hope it's not true. Put it this way, I COMPLETELY disagree with you about Williams running the offense.[/QUOTE]

You must have heard the same thing I did.

Jsndawg
11-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Come on guys... This is a gd message board! Rumors are encouraged.

cbrunt29
11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
You must have heard the same thing I did.

What have ya'll heard?

MSUDeltadawg1971
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Why do we not run Nick Griffin more?

War Machine Dawg
11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Why do we not run Nick Griffin more?

Because Nick isn't the same player after 2 ACL tears, one to each knee. He's clearly lost a step or two and doesn't have the explosiveness he had last season. That said, he's still the best blocking RB we have. I've been saying for months now that he'd be the perfect fullback for us. Even with the step or two he's lost, he's still got good speed for a FB. And he's a big, physical guy that can handle the pounding they'd take. He's also still pretty athletic, especially for a FB, even after the ACL tears. And he's got good hands, which is good for a FB in our offense. We have been a much better team running the ball with him in the backfield as part of a 2 or 3 back set. That isn't a coincidence. Hopefully that's a move we look at in the offseason. I really believe Nick could be one of the best FBs in the nation with a little work.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Because Nick isn't the same player after 2 ACL tears, one to each knee. He's clearly lost a step or two and doesn't have the explosiveness he had last season. That said, he's still the best blocking RB we have. I've been saying for months now that he'd be the perfect fullback for us. Even with the step or two he's lost, he's still got good speed for a FB. And he's a big, physical guy that can handle the pounding they'd take. He's also still pretty athletic, especially for a FB, even after the ACL tears. And he's got good hands, which is good for a FB in our offense. We have been a much better team running the ball with him in the backfield as part of a 2 or 3 back set. That isn't a coincidence. Hopefully that's a move we look at in the offseason. I really believe Nick could be one of the best FBs in the nation with a little work.

Don't count on it.

I agree that it SHOULD happen though.

Coach 57
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Good points. I agree whole heartedly on almost all of them. I hope Williams gets the majority of the snaps this week for prep. It will help his chemistry with the 1's. To me that's all I saw from him in those 8 snaps. It looked like he knew the play, but was a little out of sorts on his chemistry. I think our offense will in fact be the same under him Vs Russell too. We can beat Arky without Dak or Tyler. But need Dak FOR sure to beat UM.

War Machine Dawg
11-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Don't count on it.

I agree that it SHOULD happen though.

Thus the "Hopefully." But you're probably right.

MSUDeltadawg1971
11-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Good information, I just thought he should of been the back to get 3 carries from the 2 yard line last night, or at least 2 and block 1 for JRob as you said as the lead fullback.

tcdog70
11-18-2013, 12:11 PM
All-American Right Guard, Remington Watch Center, 1 yard for a first down, 2 yards for a TD with 3 downs to get it done and we call some bullshit. The SEC is Big Boy football , Dan needs to quit being a Chicken Shit. Put a QB under center with a Fullback and a downhill running Back and make the fricking 1 yard.

FISHDAWG
11-18-2013, 12:21 PM
another good assessment WMD .... one positive that we now enjoy is the # 1 scoring Offensive line in the conference

BeastMan
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I like Collins but what in the hell is his fascination with CB blitzes?

Barking 13
11-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I like Collins but what in the hell is his fascination with CB blitzes?

He comes from the Mullen school of "I bet they won't expect this"

Radddawg
11-19-2013, 02:14 PM
I told you guys we had one of the better DL's in the SEC coming into the season- and they are certainly showing it.

Bottom line- this football team is getting better. We have gone toe-to-toe with 3 top 10 teams the last 3 weeks and are showing we can indeed compete. We just commit a bad turnover, drop a pass, miss a FG, or couldnt stop Manziel from getting the ball to one of his 5-star WR's. It sux to be 4-6, but with our worst loss being to a 7-3 LSU team, thats our reality. 5 of our losses are to the top 11-12 in the country. Nobody else can remotely come close

Chris Jones played a great game but other than that our Dline disappointed me. Yeldon finished the game with a career high in rushing yards. I agree that we will a handful next season.

PassInterference
11-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Chris Jones played a great game but other than that our Dline disappointed me. Yeldon finished the game with a career high in rushing yards. I agree that we will a handful next season.

Yeldon had two good carries all night. Despite the stats, the Bama run game was not a factor. Unlike they'd like to do, they couldn't reliably use it to sustain long drives and run clock.