PDA

View Full Version : This game kind of makes me re-evaluate Bama.....

HoopsDawg
11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
They weren't impressive against a shitty Va Tech team. They only beat A&M by 7. Then look at the rest of their wins: Colorado St., Georgia State, OM, UK, Arky, UT, and MSU. The LSU game is their best win, but we all saw LSU fumble going in for a TD, etc. They get no pass rush. Their O-line isn't as dominant as last year. Their secondary, particularly at corner, isn't as strong as usual.

I think FSU wins by 2 TD's if Bama can get by AU and SEC Championship.

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Or more likely... we're just a top 20-30 team that's had to play six top fifteen teams this season that are clearly a notch above us. And despite being in the game with all of them at one point or another, we just don't quite have the horses to pull it off... especially after the QB rotation, kicking game problems, and injuries we've suffered on both sides of the ball.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Or more likely... we're just a top 20-30 team that's had to play six top fifteen teams this season that are clearly a notch above us. And despite being in the game with all of them at one point or another, we just don't quite have the horses to pull it off... especially after the QB rotation, kicking game problems, and injuries we've suffered on both sides of the ball.

THIS is about as well as you can say it. If you are unable to see past the win and losses and actually evaluate football teams, then that's on you. We are probably one of the top 30 teams in the country without Dak, and possibly a top 20 caliber team with him.

The schedule, injuries, and kicking game has just made our record not indicate that.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 11:17 AM
THIS is about as well as you can say it. If you are unable to see past the win and losses and actually evaluate football teams, then that's on you. We are probably one of the top 30 teams in the country without Dak, and possibly a top 20 caliber team with him.

The schedule, injuries, and kicking game has just made our record not indicate that.

Sorry, but I think you and Hack are getting a little too carried away after a loss. Don't get me wrong, we played pretty well...but a Top 20 team wins at least 1 out 6 against other top 20-25 teams. We didn't.

Again, I'm more optimistic after what I saw yesterday too...but to say we are a top 20 team is stretching it

Dawgface
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree with hoops to a degee. Bama seems beatable. That's not a putdown to us,
But a team not making the mistakes we made can beat them. Not saying it will happen.

I seen it dawg
11-17-2013, 11:21 AM
"Im not really in the excuse business" "You are what you are" - Bill Parcells

msstate7
11-17-2013, 11:21 AM
I've been saying fsu will roll bama and nothing has changed. If we played fsu last night, we lose by 30 IMO. Fsu is the best team in the country and it isnt close IMO

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Bingo

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 11:45 AM
The teams we've lost to are a combined 52-9, and outside of losing against each other they've only dropped games against West Va, Ole Miss, UGA, and UT. Of those four teams that gave them "bad losses," ALL were on the road.

Meanwhile, out of our six losses, we played only two of those at home.... against Bama and LSU. And out of our other four road losses, only A&M has lost a home game this year. The other three are undefeated at home.

Y'all can bitch all you want, but we've played the most ridiculous schedule I can remember us ever going up against. TO somehow suggest that we're a bad football team tells me that you can't look at the field and see what's going on.

Now don't put words in my mouth... I'm not saying everything is perfect and I've had some major complaints about personnel usage this season, but we're really not that far behind the best schools in the country right now despite having six losses. If we lined up and played everyone in the country, we'd be somewhere in the 20's to 30's IMO. I also think we're better this year than we were last year.

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 11:46 AM
The teams we've lost to are a combined 52-9, and outside of losing against each other they've only dropped games against West Va, Ole Miss, UGA, and UT. Of those four teams that gave them "bad losses," ALL were on the road.

Meanwhile, out of our six losses, we played only two of those at home.... against Bama and LSU. And out of our other four road losses, only A&M has lost a home game this year. The other three are undefeated at home.

Y'all can bitch all you want, but we've played the most ridiculous schedule I can remember us ever going up against. TO somehow suggest that we're a bad football team tells me that you can't look at the field and see what's going on.

Now don't put words in my mouth... I'm not saying everything is perfect and I've had some major complaints about personnel usage this season, but we're really not that far behind the best schools in the country right now despite having six losses. If we lined up and played everyone in the country, we'd be somewhere in the 20's to 30's IMO. I also think we're better this year than we were last year.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2013, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Political Hack;88840If we lined up and played everyone in the country, we'd be somewhere in the 20's to 30's IMO. I also think we're better this year than we were last year.[/QUOTE]

We are much much better than last year. This year's team would give last year's team an ass whooping on the line of scrimmage. Major difference in the physicality of this year's team.

I seen it dawg
11-17-2013, 11:53 AM
i dont think we are a bad football team. But things that can be avoided are killing us. LP continuing to get between the tackles carries is ludicrous and the use of our backs is baffling. Lewis in the return game is baffling. Injuries, youthful mistakes, learning are things that happen and are part of it. Running the same people out and having the same results of failure over and over is just plain stupid. Thats my beef.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Nobody said we were bad. We're just not that damn good. There's a big difference. Top 20-30 means we're good...and good teams win at least 1 out 6 games against top 20-30 teams. We haven't. If you beat one of those teams, they aren't top 12-15 in the country...see how that works.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
i dont think we are a bad football team. But things that can be avoided are killing us. LP continuing to get between the tackles carries is ludicrous and the use of our backs is baffling. Lewis in the return game is baffling. Injuries, youthful mistakes, learning are things that happen and are part of it. Running the same people out and having the same results of failure over and over is just plain stupid. Thats my beef.

Amen

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Injuries and such are excusable. Sometimes an injury can just be in a spot you can't afford. I don't know if AJ goes down in the 1st game if Bama is still undefeated and JFF is definitely required to get them to 10 wins. We really need a FB to block for Dak on his runs. We had one when we were successful and it would at least keep Dak from hitting LBs or DLs. Dak puts out more punishment when he is hitting safeties.

For everyone that says Dan has the offense on track, do we just have to bend over and take it that sometimes Dan is going to do IDIOTIC things like throw a fade to Lewis and run Perk up the gut on 3rd and 1 when he has a success rate of maybe 10% on that play. There is literally no other RB that gives us a less chance of scoring on that play. There is no way that the coaching staff can not see something that EVERY PERSON ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD as seen over the last 2 years.

slickdawg
11-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I like our equipment people that apparently don't know how to change cleats. At TAMU and now at home, slip, slip, slip, slip. slip. It's ridiculous. TAMU players weren't slipping, Aalbama players weren't slipping. OUR players have slipped a lot in two games. It's cost us 10 or more plays, we don't have that margin for error.

Coach34
11-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Normally you and I agree- but not here. The NFL schedule is much more balanced than a college football schedule. 5 of our 6 losses are to the top 11 teams in the country. The other is LSU.

Bama has played only played 2 teams in the top 25- with one more left
SC has played 2 top 25 teams- one more left
Auburn has played 2 ranked teams with one more left
A&M has played 2 ranked teams with 2 more left
OM is about to play their 5th ranked team- and is likely to get their 4th loss

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 12:11 PM
I like our equipment people that apparently don't know how to change cleats. At TAMU and now at home, slip, slip, slip, slip. slip. It's ridiculous. TAMU players weren't slipping, Aalbama players weren't slipping. OUR players have slipped a lot in two games. It's cost us 10 or more plays, we don't have that margin for error.

^This^

I'm so sick of that shit. When I was playing baseball and football, we always had multiple length cleats available. That wasn't the SEC, and we didn't have equipment managers. How is it possible that against the number 1 team in the country we allow our RB to slip multiple times and never do anything about it? We were at home! Run down to the local Hibbet Sports if you have too!

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Normally you and I agree- but not here. The NFL schedule is much more balanced than a college football schedule. 5 of our 6 losses are to the top 11 teams in the country. The other is LSU.

Bama has played only played 2 teams in the top 25- with one more left
SC has played 2 top 25 teams- one more left
Auburn has played 2 ranked teams with one more left
A&M has played 2 ranked teams with 2 more left
OM is about to play their 5th ranked team- and is likely to get their 4th loss

But those teams are also the reason that their opponents aren't ranked. In other words, if we beat Auburn, SC, A&M, LSU, Bama, or OSU, those teams aren't ranked as high. So you truly "are what you are". Those teams are all ranked in the top 25, and they all beat us. So therefore it's clear that we are nowhere near their caliber. Otherwise you win 1 of them.

That's like USM saying last year that their 0-12 wasn't really THAT bad considering all of the teams they lost to were ranked above them. Well no shit! If you lose to all of them, they're getting wins while you're getting losses.

To me this is no different than the Mullen argument. He always beats the teams he should beat and loses to the teams that are favored over him. The problem is, the more you lose, the less you're favored...so eventually a coach could go 0-12 because he's never favored, but "he still beat all the teams he was supposed to beat".

I just think the logic behind such excuses makes no sense. We are what we are, period. We are a team that is good enough to blow out Troy, average enough to squeak past BG and UK, and not good enough to beat any of the above average teams on our schedule. The truth hurts sometimes. Doesn't take away from a decent outing last night, but it was still a loss.

I seen it dawg
11-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Im not talking about our record or comparing us to the NFL. Im talking about the things we continue to do that are baffling and stupid. I agree our schedule may be the worst in our history and I can live with that but I cant stomach the stupid shit. Continuing running guys out there in spots with little to no hope of success. We are what we are and thats a team that does avoidable things that keep us from having more success than we do. Guys are playing hard and I appreciate the effort but that should be a given and the minimum. I want more.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Im not talking about our record or comparing us to the NFL. Im talking about the things we continue to do that are baffling and stupid. I agree our schedule may be the worst in our history and I can live with that but I cant stomach the stupid shit. Continuing running guys out there in spots with little to no hope of success. We are what we are and thats a team that does avoidable things that keep us from having more success than we do. Guys are playing hard and I appreciate the effort but that should be a given and the minimum. I want more.

Completely agree. The bolded sentence says it all

Coach34
11-17-2013, 12:58 PM
But those teams are also the reason that their opponents aren't ranked. In other words, if we beat Auburn, SC, A&M, LSU, Bama, or OSU, those teams aren't ranked as high. So you truly "are what you are". Those teams are all ranked in the top 25, and they all beat us. So therefore it's clear that we are nowhere near their caliber. Otherwise you win 1 of them.

That's a bunch of shit. Those teams arent playing teams that are primarily just outside the top 25.

Bama has played 7 teams with 4 or more losses to this point- plus a 1-AA
A&M has played 6 teams with 4 or more losses to this point- plus a 1-AA
LSU has played 7 teams with 4 or more losses to this point
SC has played 8 teams with 4 or more losses to this point

State?

LSU has 3 losses
SC and A&M have 2 losses
Auburn and Ok State have 1 loss
Bammer undefeated

None with 4 losses

Coach34
11-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Coming into this weekend- BEFORE we played Bama- strength of schedule:

State 13th
SC- 20th
A&M- 44th
LSU- 46th
Auburn- 60th
Bammer- 62nd

bluelightstar
11-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Top 20 teams don't make the mistakes we make EVERY game. /thread

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Top 20 teams don't make the mistakes we make EVERY game. /thread

Do you mean top 20 teams typically don't have the worst kicker in any division of college football? Or do you mean running a zone read with Tyler Russell who can gash you for 3 yards if he is not picked up. Perkins up the middle for no gain on short yardage when he is the WORST RB on your roster for that play?

Mullen does some stuff really well which is why we can compete with Bama, other things he does that are completely moronic that people who barely know anything about football knows better than to do. I got home last night and my wife asked me why we throw deep to Lewis when we have that tall receiver that has been fighting for the ball. All I can say is **** IF I OR ANYONE ELSE KNOWS.

This stuff is why we compete with Bama, SC, A&M, LSU, and Auburn but the moronic things are why Mullen will not beat them. Our defense just gave Mullen the best chance possible and because of stupid shit our coaches on offense don't give the players the best chance to win.

Percho
11-17-2013, 02:52 PM

I agree with you. And I also am not happy with some of the decisions our coaches make but we have had a tough road to how. And I would bet on Bama against FSU if I were a betting man. Our special teams are the worst I have ever seen. And either our coaches can't create or do now how to create a mismatch against a good team in the red zone.

OurState
11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Nobody said we were bad. We're just not that damn good. There's a big difference. Top 20-30 means we're good...and good teams win at least 1 out 6 games against top 20-30 teams. We haven't. If you beat one of those teams, they aren't top 12-15 in the country...see how that works.

We have the 7th hardest schedule in the nation per Sagarin. Things need to be looked at through that prism. However in our 6 losses to ranked opponents we have lost by 96 points. That's a lot and quite frankly how the defense that took the field last night was also capable of giving up 209 points to 6 ranked opponents is maddening.

mek34
11-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Bama gets beat in the Iron Bowl IMO