PDA

View Full Version : I know Dan doesn't discuss injuries but does anyone really know the truth on the

Saltydog
11-17-2013, 10:13 AM
extent of Dak's injury. I've heard it's his shoulder, then it's his elbow and last night I heard it was his neck and that he was out for the year. Anyone know with some validity? If he's done, so are we.

Coach34
11-17-2013, 10:27 AM
15 has a shoulder- but not certain if he can play Saturday or not

HoopsDawg
11-17-2013, 10:29 AM
It's his shoulder. Get ready for the Damien Williams show the last 2 games and Dan has his excuse for finishing 4-8.

Saltydog
11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
nt

basedog
11-17-2013, 10:49 AM
It's his elbow, and he "might" be back for TSUN is the talk I'm hearing. Doctor doesn't know as of last night if he will be able to play this year. Time will tell.

missouridawg
11-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm not that well connected, but what I've heard it's a nerve issue and those things don't re-generate on any type of schedule. Could be out for the year.

Saltydog
11-17-2013, 10:57 AM
elbow to nerve damage.......Anyone know about Russell's injury? If Dak can't play we have to have Tyler to have any kind of chance.......

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 11:04 AM
first I've heard about an elbow. I know he's got some damage in his shoulder, but the last report I got was pre-MRI. I was told he was almost definitely out against Bama, but they were hopeful it would be only a one week thing. Again... that was pre-MRI.

We'll know this week if he's practicing or not and will likely be able to determine it from there.

Todd4State
11-17-2013, 12:34 PM
My guess based on my medical knowledge and the rumors- the nerves that go to the arm branch off the spinal cord in the neck. If you have a nerve injury that starts in the neck, you can have pain and loss of feeling in the elbow. So, there may be some truth to what everyone is saying to a degree. Of course, I'm just speculating.

As I said last week- nerve tissue is one of the slowest healing tissues in the body.

Saltydog
11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
because I did lose strength and sensation all the way to my fingers.....

Todd4State
11-17-2013, 01:22 PM
because I did lose strength and sensation all the way to my fingers.....

That is certainly possible. Another thing that is normally affected is grip strength, and I think a lot of patients don't realize that until it's actually looked and also because you have two different nerves that control hand function and sometimes the median nerve can compensate to where you can get by. But the ulnar nerve controls the ring and little finger and that is important for gripping a football when running with it.

It's definitely some kind of nerve injury, the MD's just have to figure out exactly what is going on.

EngineerDawg
11-18-2013, 08:26 AM
That's exactly what I hear Todd, but the extent is unknown. Something like this can be career threatening. Very scary. Praying for dak.

I doubt we see him playing again this calendar year.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Didn't they say that Dak had a stinger? So the pinched nerve stuff would be correct.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Dak was on the sidelines throwing the other night, but was only using his right arm to catch and throw, while left arm stayed tucked to his side. This has nothing to do with his right arm or his grip strength. Honestly, the other night, it looked liked a left shoulder problem. I don't think the doctors would have allowed him to throw on the sidelines with a nerve issue.

Also, if it was a shoulder problem or nerve problem that required surgery, it would make all the sense in the world to announce it and allow Dak to have surgery so he can be ready for spring practice.

notsofarawaydawg
11-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Winning is so important. Nothing is more important than this young man healing completely before being exposed to a more devastating injury. How people can even question what this kid is going through is crazy because none of us want to play more than he does. Let it go and let his body heal so that he has a future in football if he wants it. A healthy Dak is better for the future of MSU football.

EngineerDawg
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Dak was on the sidelines throwing the other night, but was only using his right arm to catch and throw, while left arm stayed tucked to his side. This has nothing to do with his right arm or his grip strength. Honestly, the other night, it looked liked a left shoulder problem. I don't think the doctors would have allowed him to throw on the sidelines with a nerve issue.

Also, if it was a shoulder problem or nerve problem that required surgery, it would make all the sense in the world to announce it and allow Dak to have surgery so he can be ready for spring practice.

The message relayed was a nerve problem and could be serious. I am no Dr nor do I have any idea what that means...

HancockCountyDog
11-18-2013, 09:37 AM
The fact that Dak was in street clothes tells me that he was no where close to playing. Now this could have been precautionary, but I don't know.

Also, if Bear catches that 4th down throw all we are talking about is how Damien is ready. I thought he looked great to be honest;

CJDAWG85
11-18-2013, 09:42 AM
What the hell happend to Tyler?

rcsteph1
11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Evidently Tyler injured his throwing shoulder trying to make a tackle on the INT he threw. Said he felt something pop and when he went back in he couldn't get anything on the ball. No zip. He told Mullen that he would only hurt his teams chances being in there and took himself out. That's my understanding of the situation/

Op4isabitch
11-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I was watching Dak on the sideline. He kept his left hand in his pocket the whole game, one time he was throwing the ball to Williams and still had the left hand in his pocket.....looked like he was being very cautious with it. TIFWIW

rcsteph1
11-18-2013, 09:57 AM
I noticed this as well. Hopefully he can make it back. But I only want him back if he's 100% do not want him doing any further damage.

Barking 13
11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
from past experience, I had a torn Labrium in my shoulder and it hurt all the way from the shoulder to my hand when I tried to move my arm. I couldn't even hold a fishing rod in my hand without it making my arm hurt.. Just takes a long time to heal.... (about 4 months)

Red Sox Dawg
11-18-2013, 11:31 AM
It's his shoulder. Get ready for the Damien Williams show the last 2 games and Dan has his excuse for finishing 4-8.

So loosing your top 2 QB's shouldn't have any effect on the last 2 games? Man your hatred for Mullen is unreal...what did he do to you?

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 12:08 PM

This isn't entirely true... While you would like to have the surgery today, it's usually 2-3 weeks for a surgery to happen after scheduled. Theoretically, the surgery(if there is one) could already be scheduled, but Dan is keeping things quite for now.

That being said... If this is a minor rotator cuff injury in his non throwing shoulder, it may not need surgery. An 8 month off season with no contact to the shoulder could be all he needs if it is that... If Dan plays him over the next few weeks, that minor injury could become a big problem, especially if nerves are involved...

This is my guess.... MRI showed a minor injury to his non throwing shoulder... Doctors think he will be fine(can avoid surgery) if he avoids contact the remainder of the year, and takes it easy until fall practice 2014 comes around(we don't want a minor injury blowing up into something big)... Because he doesn't need surgery, there's no need to announce anything.

If Dak can't go this year, we need every edge we can get. If that means making other teams prepare for Dak playing, so be it.

I hope I'm wrong, and he can play through it... Something doesn't seem right though.

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Also... Dan wouldn't hold a player out to save his job, anyone suggesting otherwise is a fool... the team would find out(Dak would never sit out games if healthy, and he wouldn't be happy), and Dan would lose his team...

I thought Dan's job was safe anyway, but losing your starting guy down the stretch makes him untouchable IMO... I'm on the fence when it comes to Mullen, but you can't can a guy after losing 2 QB's... Geeze... That's cold blooded.

Mullen deserves another year after this ridiculous schedule, and now a bad break with injuries. He deserves the opportunity to right the ship next year, and keep us moving forward.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Also... Dan wouldn't hold a player out to save his job, anyone suggesting otherwise is a fool... the team would find out(Dak would never sit out games if healthy, and he wouldn't be happy), and Dan would lose his team...

I thought Dan's job was safe anyway, but losing your starting guy down the stretch makes him untouchable IMO... I'm on the fence when it comes to Mullen, but you can't can a guy after losing 2 QB's... Geeze... That's cold blooded.

Mullen deserves another year after this ridiculous schedule, and now a bad break with injuries. He deserves the opportunity to right the ship next year, and keep us moving forward.

Missing a bowl in your 5th year = moving forward? High standards.

gloworm
11-18-2013, 12:20 PM
you cant blame injuries on Dan,
he isnt the one out there.

Lets face it. , Dak gives us the best chance to win ,
arkansas has a pretty effective pass rush and the extra time that TR takes could give those pass rushers more sacks , Arky ranks much higher than us in that category ... what are we? about
110th -115th

UPIG is ranked top 30

and , they hold the edge in sacks allowed. 7 sacks versus our 18

lets hope Dak's stinger gets better

BeastMan
11-18-2013, 12:24 PM
from past experience, I had a torn Labrium in my shoulder and it hurt all the way from the shoulder to my hand when I tried to move my arm. I couldn't even hold a fishing rod in my hand without it making my arm hurt.. Just takes a long time to heal.... (about 4 months)

Now that just ain't right

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Missing a bowl in your 5th year = moving forward? High standards.

Mullen can't control an injury to our best player...

Did I like the way we've played this year, no... However, with Dak we could easily win the next two. Without him, we could easily lose... That has to be taken into consideration, but like I said... Our admin thought he was safe before the injuries, so this argument is pointless.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Well I think what that thread said was that the admin thought he was safe unless he loses badly to Ole Miss.

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Well I think what that thread said was that the admin thought he was safe unless he loses badly to Ole Miss.

How many times have we lost badly to OM at home???

Again, that whole losing badly thing was before the apparent injury to Dak... Mullen wasn't getting fired, and having our starting QB and best player out only cements that. I'm not making the decisions here, if you have a problem, email Stricklin.

engie
11-18-2013, 01:20 PM
How many times have we lost badly to OM at home???

Again, that whole losing badly thing was before the apparent injury to Dak... Mullen wasn't getting fired, and having our starting QB and best player out only cements that. I'm not making the decisions here, if you have a problem, email Stricklin.

Who is at fault that we've only got 3 scholarship QBs in year 5?

No decisions have been made.

State82
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
That's exactly what I hear Todd, but the extent is unknown. Something like this can be career threatening. Very scary. Praying for dak.

I doubt we see him playing again this calendar year.

Same thing I was told and alluded to yesterday in another post. The CL articles in yesterday's paper specifically mentioned a "stinger" in his throwing elbow. This was stated twice. Not saying he doesn't have a shoulder problem also, but the scary thing is the supposed nerve problem and the fear that something could be permanent. Obviously no one here has any idea for certain and maybe the doctors don't either. At least not yet. But the info some of us have gotten is concerning to say the least. Now, would I be very surprised to see him take the field against USM to open 2014, or even spring practice? Probably not. Would I be surprised to see him take the field in the next two games? Very.

jimbo352
11-18-2013, 01:32 PM

I don't disagree...

I'm trying to look at this through the eyes of our admin. Through the eyes of our admin, Mullen will be back next year. I know hope is clouding some judgement here, but let's be honest, we all know how this works. If Dak really is hurt, it's a sigh of relief in their offices... Dak being hurt makes it a lot easier to answer questions after a losing season, and deep down you know that. I don't like this, but they have to prove me wrong before I start believing.

engie
11-18-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't disagree...

I'm trying to look at this through the eyes of our admin. Through the eyes of our admin, Mullen will be back next year. I know hope is clouding some judgement here, but let's be honest, we all know how this works. If Dak really is hurt, it's a sigh of relief in their offices... Dak being hurt makes it a lot easier to answer questions after a losing season, and deep down you know that. I don't like this, but they have to prove me wrong before I start believing.

You are assuming an administration gets to make a choice that won't likely be theirs to make...

I know this much -- the nameless candidate has what basically amounts to a 2-game lead in his conference with 2 to play -- and his name is just as hot as it's ever.

We were ranked 60th before Dak's injury. What happens now is negligible to that fact.

Bucky Dog
11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Quick Medical Lesson- It sounds like Dak has a left shoulder Brachial Plexus Injury, commonly known as a stinger. It is a bundle of nerves in the shoulder/neck area that comes from the spine and controls feeling in arm. Injury occurs when head goes one way and shoulder is forced in the opposite direction and causes these nerves to be stretched, but in worst case torn. Many are right in saying there is no timetable to how one heals from this and that he is having pain and numbness in elbow. He could wake up tomorrow and be fine or it could take a lot longer.

A problem can occur for long term healing if scar tissue develops around the nerves as they are healing. This is not good and would require surgery and could be career threatening. That is worst case scenario but let's be positive and hope for the best.

Btw, I have no better sources than any of you, just what person close was saying. And I pretend to be a doctor many days!

EngineerDawg
11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Quick Medical Lesson- It sounds like Dak has a left shoulder Brachial Plexus Injury, commonly known as a stinger. It is a bundle of nerves in the shoulder/neck area that comes from the spine and controls feeling in arm. Injury occurs when head goes one way and shoulder is forced in the opposite direction and causes these nerves to be stretched, but in worst case torn. Many are right in saying there is no timetable to how one heals from this and that he is having pain and numbness in elbow. He could wake up tomorrow and be fine or it could take a lot longer.

A problem can occur for long term healing if scar tissue develops around the nerves as they are healing. This is not good and would require surgery and could be career threatening. That is worst case scenario but let's be positive and hope for the best.

Btw, I have no better sources than any of you, just what person close was saying. And I pretend to be a doctor many days!

you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn? ;)

Madkinmecrazy
11-18-2013, 02:40 PM

If only Dylan Favre was still around...

Saltydog
11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
in the brachial plexus area (c5, c6. c7). I can tell you this, it's quite painful. The first solution was to prescribe steroids and I went thru two rounds of this therapy. While on the steroids I felt much better but still had numbness and tingling in the forearm and fingers. I then went thru extended p/t and this seemed to help somewhat but was not a permanent solution. The only permanent solution was to have spinal fusion on the vertebrae. I put that decision off and at some point in time when the pain gets to where it's unbearable I will have to have it to get any relief. It's one of those things that comes and goes and you bear it til one day it comes and doesn't leave. That's when you progress to surgery. Of course, Dak is much younger than I so his outlook could improve but then again I wasn't playing contact sports either and he is. If this is what he has, I'm pessimistic but I'll wait til we hear something official because right now there seems to be so many rumors I'm not sure anyone other than Dak, the coaches and the doctors know. But if anyone is wondering about Salty's status, tell them it's a day by day thing and I'll be in the stands come hell or highwater Thanksgiving night.