PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time we stormed the field?

Charlie_Sheen420
10-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Just watched the end of Iowa and Penn State game, and Iowa stormed the field for some reason. It made me start to think when was the last time Davis Wade was stormed? I was a student in the early Mullen years and we never did that I can recall, not even after Auburn in 2014. Does anyone remember the last time? It?s a big IF, but IF we upset Bama, that would be good reason to storm the field...

Fader21
10-09-2021, 06:59 PM
I was there at the 99 Egg Bowl and when we beat Florida with Croom.

TUSK
10-09-2021, 07:02 PM
Just watched the end of Iowa and Penn State game, and Iowa stormed the field for some reason. It made me start to think when was the last time Davis Wade was stormed? I was a student in the early Mullen years and we never did that I can recall, not even after Auburn in 2014. Does anyone remember the last time? It?s a big IF, but IF we upset Bama, that would be good reason to storm the field...

Nov 3, 1980, Jackson, MS, for sure?. I Was (really) There😩

Maybe in 1996 in Starkville, as well???

PGHBulldogBG
10-09-2021, 07:04 PM
I?m glad we don?t do that. I want us to act like we?ve been there before. When Ole Miss beat Bama in 2014 and did it and we didn?t when we beat Auburn to go to #1 it was great. Even if we aren?t a top program act like we are

SailingDawg
10-09-2021, 07:08 PM
Nov 3, 1980, Jackson, MS, for sure?. I Was (really) There&#

I stormed that field with my brothers. We had to jump fences. My older brother was putting grass in his wallet. I was in the circle surrounding Bond and had my picture in many publications as the years went on.

My son, ten or so at the time, was reading a Sports Illustrated in BAMM and said, ?Dad? Didn?t you say you were in Sports Illustrated once?? They had run the photo again after almost 20 years in some special edition and he recognized me.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-09-2021, 07:14 PM
I probably should have just googled it, but the last time was against Florida, October 2004 with Croom...the year of the Maine...kinda crazy it?s been that long

RocketDawg
10-09-2021, 07:19 PM

Alabama 1996, but I'm sure there's been one since then.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2021, 07:24 PM
2004, Florida. And a coach got "Croomed" the next day.

RocketDawg
10-09-2021, 07:29 PM

We probably hold the record for getting the opposing coach fired after losing to us. I suppose losing to MSU must be the most embarrassing and career-ending move ever.

QuadrupleOption
10-09-2021, 07:30 PM

Yeah I was just about to post that I remembered folks storming the field that day. I don't think it happened much after that (if at all) because the university started posting security around the field. Also because we sucked until Mullen came along.

BrunswickDawg
10-09-2021, 07:30 PM
Alabama 1996, but I'm sure there's been one since then.
I was swinging from the crossbar when the north end zone posts came down.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2021, 07:32 PM
We probably hold the record for getting the opposing coach fired after losing to us. I suppose losing to MSU must be the most embarrassing and career-ending move ever.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the first of the "croomed". Too bad memes didn't exist back then, because that would've been a good one.

RocketDawg
10-09-2021, 07:33 PM
I was swinging from the crossbar when the north end zone posts came down.

That was a cold night with a strong northerly wind. The parachutists landed with the wind, one of them stalled, and it about killed him. Game start was delayed quite a while.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2021, 07:37 PM
That was a cold night with a strong northerly wind. The parachutists landed with the wind, one of them stalled, and it about killed him. Game start was delayed quite a while.

I like to think he took a bump, shot-gunned a beer, and said "yo bitches, watch this!" right before he jumped. Then...Splat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMup0JXRX8c&ab_channel=BTE1390

Todd4State
10-09-2021, 07:38 PM
I probably should have just googled it, but the last time was against Florida, October 2004 with Croom...the year of the Maine...kinda crazy it?s been that long

Yeah. But I can't think of very many other times that may have warranted it. Maybe Auburn 2014? 2013 Egg Bowl?

BrunswickDawg
10-09-2021, 07:39 PM

Yep. That's the day I learned the human body could bounce when it hit the ground.

I had gotten married that August and my wife and I would drive over from Atlanta. With about a minute left I turned to her and said "I'll meet you at the tailgate in about an hour" and headed toward the student section from section 21. I wasn't going to miss that insanity. Somehow, my wife is still here.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2021, 07:42 PM
Maybe Auburn 2014? 2013 Egg Bowl?

Both of these would've been acceptable, IMO. 2014 for what it meant, both in the moment, and for when the rankings came out on Sunday. 2013 for the emotion of it all, Dak being hurt, coming in and leading the drive, the OT fumble, etc. The 2014 season really started that night.

Coach34
10-09-2021, 07:42 PM
I stormed the court in 1991 when we beat LSU and won the SEC title for the 1st time since the 60's. I stormed in 1996 after the Bama win.

Good times

If we win Saturday? Storm that bitch again

Lord McBuckethead
10-09-2021, 07:44 PM
2004 against UF. Ron Zook got Croomed.

Todd4State
10-09-2021, 07:45 PM
Both of these would've been acceptable, IMO. 2014 for what it meant, both in the moment, and for when the rankings came out on Sunday. 2013 for the emotion of it all, Dak being hurt, coming in and leading the drive, the OT fumble, etc. The 2014 season really started that night.

I'm not exactly sure why we haven't. Does it have to do with the fact that the new student section makes it more difficult to access the field? Back in the day all we had to do was jump the fence and the bushes not to mention there were some gates open and I think you could go around and access the field on the sides kind of.

Todd4State
10-09-2021, 07:45 PM
I stormed the court in 1991 when we beat LSU and won the SEC title for the 1st time since the 60's. I stormed in 1996 after the Bama win.

Good times

IF that happens I'll be down there.

Lord McBuckethead
10-09-2021, 07:47 PM
After that day, every single big win, the university goes out and lowers the uprights very quickly at the buzzer.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2021, 07:52 PM
After that day, every single big win, the university goes out and lowers the uprights very quickly at the buzzer.

This is true. We are so ****ing cheap, lol.

But we've never even threatened to rush, though....you can tell when it's going to happen, and there's never been a whiff of it. I doubt the grounds-crew would be out there ready to remove the goal posts if a rush was imminent, just for their own safety.

memsu06
10-09-2021, 07:55 PM
I was a student in 2004. I had already witnessed us lose to Maine, Vanderbilt, and UAB. Florida came to town 11am game I think. Why bake in the end zone bleachers at us getting mauled by FL?

At half time it was close or we had the lead can't remember which. My roommates and I debated going to the game, but decided not to. Surely they're going to lose.

We missed storming the field that day.

LC Dawg
10-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Not storming the field after the 2014 Auburn win was awesome. It showed we felt we belonged.
Now, if we somehow pull off a win over #1 while unranked we definitely should rush it and Cohen can pay the fine with all the money he saves bu not marketing our brand.

Coach34
10-09-2021, 08:25 PM
Not storming the field after Auburn 2014 was dumb. Celebrate. It’s college football. Enjoy the moment.

PGHBulldogBG
10-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Not storming the field after Auburn 2014 was dumb. Celebrate. It’s college football. Enjoy the moment.

No I was so proud of our fans for not doing this. When do blue bloods storm the field? Never. Even though we aren?t a blue blood let?s act like it because we want to show we have the same attitude and mentality.

Coach34
10-09-2021, 08:49 PM
**** that. We aren’t a blue blood and never will be.

Celebrate goddammit. Enjoy moments when we do something great. Because they don’t happen that often. **** “being cool”. That’s stupid

Dawg_Lover
10-09-2021, 09:05 PM
It was not our field, but at Ole Miss, in the early 2000s when we were down significantly in the last few minutes, then we came back and won it. I cannot remember for sure what happened, but that would have been a good time to storm a field!

jacksondawg
10-09-2021, 09:58 PM
I think it was the 2017 season we were playing bama close they moved every security guard in a green vest they could find in front of the student section just incase we pulled it out and the students decided to try and rush the field. Which I thought was ridiculous if we were to beat the #1 ranked team let the students rush the field it's not like it happens all the time.

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2021, 10:00 PM
Yeah. But I can't think of very many other times that may have warranted it. Maybe Auburn 2014? 2013 Egg Bowl?

I was at Auburn 14. We did NOT storm the field for that one.

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2021, 10:01 PM

Bull. We expected to win that one and we did. No need to storm the field there.

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2021, 10:04 PM

Good times

I was at that LSU game, not many were with you. Not surprised you did it.

BayouDawg
10-10-2021, 12:01 AM
They started issuing the school fines for fans storming the field sometime around 2005 so our penny pinching administration started having security guards stationed to prevent having to pay the fine. Other schools just pay the fine and enjoy the moment.

Coach34
10-10-2021, 07:37 AM
I was at that LSU game, not many were with you. Not surprised you did it.

What? The court was full of people. The 15 rows below me stormed before I did

Gypsy_RoadDawg
10-10-2021, 07:55 AM
1998, when we played Arkansas and won the game on a last second field goal. The goal post came down that day. I was on the field it was great. The win gave us a chance of winning the west by beating Ole Miss the next week which we did.

NWADAWG
10-10-2021, 08:47 AM

'98 vs UPig is the last I remember. I remember sitting in traffic trying to leave and about half the goal post came walking by on the shoulder of a bunch of screaming students. Good times.

OLJWales
10-10-2021, 11:20 AM
I stormed that field with my brothers. We had to jump fences. My older brother was putting grass in his wallet. I was in the circle surrounding Bond and had my picture in many publications as the years went on.

My son, ten or so at the time, was reading a Sports Illustrated in BAMM and said, ?Dad? Didn?t you say you were in Sports Illustrated once?? They had run the photo again after almost 20 years in some special edition and he recognized me.

Awesome story as my Dad and I scaled the chain link too and we are the 1st 2 seen in the low quality video eventually getting within 10 feet from the remaining mass of humanity who didn't know the line judges saw the bamer NG popped the ball from Kent's hand Pre-Snap.

I was the first fan Kent saw and he remembered sitting next to me all year in a class back in h.s. and he lifted my back then 120 lb ass for an epic STATE "Bear" hug. He was so much bigger than I had remembered it kinda skeered me a little. Lol

Bully was nervous and took a chunk outta my drunk Dad's lip when Dad tired to sneak a kiss.

I actually didn't know about the nose guard deal that bear ordered until Kent's younger brother Maury told me when we met up at a game about a year later.

Tater
10-10-2021, 12:35 PM
We literally designed our stadium with the thought to prevent rushing the field in mind. Students have two access points to the field, small slivers of the corner end zones.

2013 Egg Bowl it was in the air but not enough people at the game. 2014 Auburn it was in the air but security was blocking the two corners and stopped the few people who did.

We'll never again successfully rush the field unless the Alumni sections instigate it. The students are neutered by the scoreboard club.

Maroonthirteen
10-10-2021, 12:46 PM
I believe the last rush the field, was 2000 Florida. However I don't believe the goal post came down. Just lots of people on the field.

Bgame
10-10-2021, 01:24 PM
We stormed the field and tore down the north end zone goal posts after beating LSU in 1984. Dawgs Bite wrote that no one could remember when that happened previously, at least going back decades.

viverlibre
10-10-2021, 04:09 PM
The outfield fans tried to when we won the CWS, but the mighty TD Ameritrade Security Commandos rebuffed their efforts. I got a neat video of one of our fans in a walking boot battling it out with a fat security guard and a two large heifers (one a bulldog fan and one security) in a pushing contest.

OLJWales
10-10-2021, 04:23 PM
The outfield fans tried to when we won the CWS, but the mighty TD Ameritrade Security Commandos rebuffed their efforts. I got a neat video of one of our fans in a walking boot battling it out with a fat security guard and a two large heifers (one a bulldog fan and one security) in a pushing contest.

Man I bet that was awesome. They should have made an exception for us because we are STATE.

Memphisbulldog
10-10-2021, 07:03 PM
I know people think getting fined for storming the field is no big deal. However, some years ago the SEC asked the teams to quit storming the field. I assume for safety reasons. Added a fine to this. First offense $50K. I think second offense $250K. That is a lot. I'd rather MSU spend that money somewhere else. I think we already got our $50K fine.

BeardoMSU
10-10-2021, 10:02 PM
I know people think getting fined for storming the field is no big deal. However, some years ago the SEC asked the teams to quit storming the field. I assume for safety reasons. Added a fine to this. First offense $50K. I think second offense $250K. That is a lot. I'd rather MSU spend that money somewhere else. I think we already got our $50K fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww3jzAkSOQI&ab_channel=IrishRebel

StarkVegasSteve
10-11-2021, 09:45 AM
I think it was the 2017 season we were playing bama close they moved every security guard in a green vest they could find in front of the student section just incase we pulled it out and the students decided to try and rush the field. Which I thought was ridiculous if we were to beat the #1 ranked team let the students rush the field it's not like it happens all the time.

I can promise you that if we'd have pulled it out that night they could've had 1000 security guards and they couldn't keep us off the field. I still remember when Bama clanked the FG that would've put them ahead and watching all the security guards rush towards that student section end zone.

Choctaw Dawg
10-11-2021, 09:53 AM
People above commenting the difficulty of rushing the field from the student section are right, with the club level below the student section it makes it difficult to jump over and bottlenecks the access points to the corners.

The easiest access points would be in front of the band and students having to get creative and walking around to jump the hedges on both sides of the field to get to the goal post unless there is a massive rush to the bottlenecked points and the attitude persists "they cant arrest all of us"

Another point: with shortages of help out there they probably have less security guards at games this year than in years past, so it might be easier with less security.

Choctaw Dawg
10-11-2021, 09:54 AM

Man seeing 150 police officers sprint out of the centerfield fence as soon as the final out was recorded was pretty hilarious, it didn't look like they arrested anybody either and just pushed everyone off the field.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2021, 10:00 AM
1998, when we played Arkansas and won the game on a last second field goal. The goal post came down that day. I was on the field it was great. The win gave us a chance of winning the west by beating Ole Miss the next week which we did.

What a great memory! Me and my 5 year old son were on sitting on the 10 yard line about row 10 when Hazlewood made the game winning FG! We were on the field as soon as the game ended and I still have, in a zip lock bag, 2 pieces of Maroon and White grass and dirt we dug up out of the south end zone! Never forget that day!

OLJWales
10-11-2021, 10:13 AM
What a great memory! Me and my 5 year old son were on sitting on the 10 yard line about row 10 when Hazlewood made the game winning FG! We were on the field as soon as the game ended and I still have, in a zip lock bag, 2 pieces of Maroon and White grass and dirt we dug up out of the south end zone! Never forget that day!

I was there near end zone and my angle looked like he may had missed. TV angle looked near miss too. Those who were direct said it snuck comfortably thru.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2021, 10:16 AM
I was there near end zone and my angle looked like he may had missed. TV angle looked near miss too. Those who were direct said it snuck comfortably thru.

From where we were sitting there was gonna be no way for me to tell if it went through or not, so after I saw it go up I looked immediately at Hazlewood for his reaction. And of course it was good!

FISHDAWG
10-12-2021, 07:13 AM
aTm was just fined 100K by the conference for storming the field

OLJWales
10-12-2021, 09:25 AM
From where we were sitting there was gonna be no way for me to tell if it went through or not, so after I saw it go up I looked immediately at Hazlewood for his reaction. And of course it was good!

Hazlewood's reaction was an awesome Bulldog moment. I stormed the field but didn't have the balls to hep out with with the goal posts though. Left that to the drunk younger boys but sho enjoyed watching them do it. Glad that one kid didn't get hurt too bad cuz he busted his ass hard when it went down.

TUSK
10-12-2021, 10:48 AM
aTm was just fined 100K by the conference for storming the field

1) It was a "field stormin'" occasion....
2) those effers have pleeeeeenty of dollas....
3) If they have a problem, they can just send back my check...

R2Dawg
10-12-2021, 12:08 PM
98 is last time I remember.

We didn't even storm the field beating #2 Aub and knowing we were going to #1.

BeardoMSU
10-12-2021, 01:17 PM
98 is last time I remember.

We didn't even storm the field beating #2 Aub and knowing we were going to #1.

2004 vs Florida. That was the last time.

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-12-2021, 01:27 PM
I was standing right next to Jabar Gaffney in the endzone as the game ended in 2000 when we beat UF. Fun times.

R2Dawg
10-12-2021, 07:50 PM
2004 vs Florida. That was the last time.

I was there that day, Norwood is still running. I guess I was leaving the stadium and didn't notice storming the field. It was a great win for a program that needed some hope similar to now. That was not a great UF team though. Dang Norwood was bad to the bone though.

Bdawg
10-12-2021, 10:55 PM

Yes it was. I had a piece of that goal post on my shelf for the longest time with the score written on it.

'98 vs UPig is the last I remember. I remember sitting in traffic trying to leave and about half the goal post came walking by on the shoulder of a bunch of screaming students. Good times.

You might have seen me that day. We carried the crossbars to the frat house and cut pieces up for everyone!! Heck of a day!!

Awesome memory. Right before we tore the post down my cousin had the pad that goes around the bottom of the goal post running across the field with trying to take it home. An old high school coach of our tackled him at the 50 and took it away. He was pissed. I couldn't believe he did that either. Ha.

I almost had a Florida gator helmet when we got on the field one time against them. Some player left it sitting on the bench but he saw me out of the corner of his eye and snatched it up. I don't think that was the Croom game though. I think that's the game Sherrill had our team running all over them and beat them like a drum( 2000 maybe?). Think it was against Spurrier but y'all correct me if I'm wrong. My mind was probably a little fuzzy during some of those games if you know what I mean!!

Bdawg
10-12-2021, 11:01 PM
I was standing right next to Jabar Gaffney in the endzone as the game ended in 2000 when we beat UF. Fun times.

This has to be the game I'm thinking about when we ran the ball down their throats and we hit the field that day. I swear I think Spurrier was coaching and that visor was getting wore out!!! Man I almost had a gator helmet!