PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year: Gus or Cut?

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
I think those two have to be the front runners and I'm not sure you could go wrong with either.

Who you got?

MrKotter
11-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Good question. Both have done outstanding. I give the edge to Gus only due to being in the SEC. You could make valid arguments for either.

The Croom Diaries
11-17-2013, 10:02 AM
It's got to be Gus because he's completely changed the culture from a dumpster fire to a national championship contender in one year. I know they had talent but the turnaround is incredible. Ellis Johnson gets a major assist. Cut has done a great job as well, but he has at least been there for a number of years so he's been building towards this, albeit Duke.

BulldogBear
11-17-2013, 10:28 AM
It's got to be Gus because he's completely changed the culture from a dumpster fire to a national championship contender in one year. I know they had talent but the turnaround is incredible. Ellis Johnson gets a major assist. Cut has done a great job as well, but he has at least been there for a number of years so he's been building towards this, albeit Duke.

I hear y'all on GM and agree he's done a great job and is worthy of some accolades. BUT it is Auburn. No coach of an SEC Big 7 should be considered unless it there are extremely unusual circumstances. That means an Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia coach should almost never win this. They are playing with an entirely different deck of cards than almost anyone else, even in their own conference. This should go to DC hands down. Comparing the 2 and then going with Malzahn would be like declaring me some awesome fighter because I defeat a 13 year old in the boxing ring just because I never been in a real boxing ring before. I'm working with ciccumstances than the 8th grader.

BulldogBear
11-17-2013, 10:34 AM
....that was supposed to say "different" circumstances. Also, I don't consider Auburn nat title contender. OSU (unfortunately) and FSU aren't likely to lose, though 17eyes have better chance to drop one against Mich or Mich State. If Bama loses to Plainsmen it'll probably mean those to 2 aforementioned schools will play for title. Auburn is a real threat as a spoiler but less so as a contender unfortunately for SEC.

Political Hack
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Auburn is more of a threat than Duke though. He's elevated them to the biggest stage in college football in a matter of months.

As shocking as it seems, Coach O could be in the running too. I can't help but pull for him now.

BulldogBear
11-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Auburn is more of a threat than Duke though. He's elevated them to the biggest stage in college football in a matter of months.

As shocking as it seems, Coach O could be in the running too. I can't help but pull for him now.

True but I feel that DC has done more by getting Duke where they are than by anybody getting Auburn to win in the SEC. Let that sink in. Auburn win games and have success in the SEC = not really a big deal. Duke playing for ACC title = much bigger deal. ...as for Ed "Oregon" you know you are right. I haven't thought consciously about it but now that you make me have a cognitive thought about it, I HAVE BEEN UNCONSCIOUSLY ROOTING FOR "O" TOO. And it's a big deal 'cause USCw is #4 on my peronsal "Great Satan" List of schools I almsot never pull for. I did same thing with Spurrier. Almost never rooted for him at Florida but after taking lumps in NFL and returning to college game I've been more or less amused by him and pull for the way someone has just enough impudence to make you almost like him rather than despise.

mek34
11-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I say Gus hands down

C222
11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I hear y'all on GM and agree he's done a great job and is worthy of some accolades. BUT it is Auburn. No coach of an SEC Big 7 should be considered unless it there are extremely unusual circumstances. That means an Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia coach should almost never win this. They are playing with an entirely different deck of cards than almost anyone else, even in their own conference. This should go to DC hands down. Comparing the 2 and then going with Malzahn would be like declaring me some awesome fighter because I defeat a 13 year old in the boxing ring just because I never been in a real boxing ring before. I'm working with ciccumstances than the 8th grader.

You don't think a coach that took a team from zero SEC wins to a National Title contender should be considered for Coach of the Year?

SignalToNoise
11-19-2013, 05:25 PM

This has got me thinking- why couldn't the Ogre get anything going at Mississippi?

Political Hack
11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
This has got me thinking- why couldn't the Ogre get anything going at Mississippi?

he was a victim of what have you done for me lately IMO. A couple of bad seasons and he's fired. Same with Cut getting ousted too quickly there. They expect sustained success, which isn't realistic. He was recruiting and building the program's talent level, but wasn't very refined and viewed as a Mongolian by others throughout the college football world. If they had kept him, they could've had sustained success with the right assistants.

CapitolCityDawg
11-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Question for the board...

Will we/should we use, the fact that two of the coaches up for COTY were fired from OM, against them in recruiting?

Cutcliff probably should have been retained and Coach O was awful at OM, but this years recruits won't remember that. Will we use the fact that, at the first sign of adversity, they quit on those two guys? Where as, (regardless of what others opinions are) it appears we will stick with Mullen through the good times and the bad. Two mediocre seasons (by their standards) and Freeze could be gone...

Just a thought...

The Croom Diaries
11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
....that was supposed to say "different" circumstances. Also, I don't consider Auburn nat title contender. OSU (unfortunately) and FSU aren't likely to lose, though 17eyes have better chance to drop one against Mich or Mich State. If Bama loses to Plainsmen it'll probably mean those to 2 aforementioned schools will play for title. Auburn is a real threat as a spoiler but less so as a contender unfortunately for SEC.

I'm not really sure how a team ranked 6th in the country, with 3 weeks in the season and a game vs. #1 and if they win that vs. a top 10 team isn't a national title contender. I've seen teams jump from #7 to #2 on the last week of the season.

Political Hack
11-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Question for the board...

Will we/should we use, the fact that two of the coaches up for COTY were fired from OM, against them in recruiting?

Cutcliff probably should have been retained and Coach O was awful at OM, but this years recruits won't remember that. Will we use the fact that, at the first sign of adversity, they quit on those two guys? Where as, (regardless of what others opinions are) it appears we will stick with Mullen through the good times and the bad. Two mediocre seasons (by their standards) and Freeze could be gone...

Just a thought...

I think it speaks volumes about how someone who is clearly capable of success at the highest levels of BCS football were failures within that program.