PDA

View Full Version : Staley is spot on, and our Pirate could learn a thing or two from him...

CadaverDawg
10-08-2021, 10:28 AM
https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1445731193199083528?s=21

AROB44
10-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Shame that our coach won't learn anything new.

TrapGame
10-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Y'all do realize Leach has had games where the backs have combined for 30+ runs a game. He does run the ball. He just doesn't run it the way and the amount that you guys feel is appropriate.

Go look at the 2008 Texas Tech/Texas game. He ran the ball a lot that night.

My thing with Leach is this offense screams dual threat QB. A good dual threat QB and this offense would be tough to stop.

99jc
10-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Y'all do realize Leach has had games where the backs have combined for 30+ runs a game. He does run the ball. He just doesn't run it the way and the amount that you guys feel is appropriate.

My thing with Leach is this offense screams dual threat QB. A good dual threat QB and this offense would be tough to stop.

My thoughts exactly!

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 12:09 PM

Yeah, dual threat would be tough in this offense

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 12:10 PM

I don't think we need to do anything different between the 10s. We don't even have a red zone issue as much as we have a goal line issue. We must find a way to get more physical on the goal line.

bulldawg28
10-08-2021, 01:19 PM
I don't think we need to do anything different between the 10s. We don't even have a red zone issue as much as we have a goal line issue. We must find a way to get more physical on the goal line.

The defense gets more physical. It's also easier for the defense to do when you only have 4 plays to do it.

Commercecomet24
10-08-2021, 01:20 PM

I think this is a good point, we do struggle at the goal line more than just the red zone itself. Something I read from Josh Mcdaniels is that if you incorporate mis direction in your goal line plays TD success rate goes up by 25%, whether it's a run play or a pass play. It's so congested from the goal line to 2-3 yard line if you run mis direction if the defense takes a false step they have zero time to recover. Some boot leg plays or some jet sweep motions or anything that gets the defense flowing one way can open everything up down there and Leach wouldn't have to really change any of his basic plays to incorporate this. I also would really love to see a QB sneak from under center inside the one(but I know that ain't happening). Just some thoughts.

PGHBulldogBG
10-08-2021, 01:30 PM
Honestly I?m more concerned with our situation between the 20 and 40. That seems to be the part of the field we get stuck the most and it?s extra bad with Ruiz being hurt. The goal line is bad too because we can?t run the ball but the red zone itself hasn?t been horrible. It?s more so just getting to that point

Commercecomet24
10-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Honestly I?m more concerned with our situation between the 20 and 40. That seems to be the part of the field we get stuck the most and it?s extra bad with Ruiz being hurt. The goal line is bad too because we can?t run the ball but the red zone itself hasn?t been horrible. It?s more so just getting to that point

Does anyone even know what happened to Ruiz and if he's ever coming back?

HoopsDawg
10-08-2021, 01:40 PM
I've given up on the idea that Leach will adapt. Wasted energy.

viverlibre
10-08-2021, 02:46 PM
Yeah, dual threat would be tough in this offense

Strong buy and mix in a wildcat formation a few times per game.

MoreCowbell
10-08-2021, 03:32 PM
A dual threat QB in this offense would crush it. If Will could run that would be perfect

Todd4State
10-08-2021, 04:23 PM
Our run game is in the form of swing passes and screens. As well as the running plays we do run. It's just a different way than it's traditionally done.

TrapGame
10-08-2021, 04:30 PM
Our run game is in the form of swing passes and screens. As well as the running plays we do run. It's just a different way than it's traditionally done.

"My grandpa and my daddy ran the ball twixt the tackles! That's how you run the ball! Durrrrr!"

(Insert GIF of Randy Marsh from South Park)

Todd4State
10-08-2021, 05:07 PM
"My grandpa and my daddy ran the ball twixt the tackles! That's how you run the ball! Durrrrr!"

(Insert GIF of Randy Marsh from South Park)

I do find it amusing that pretty much every time a MSU fan talks about adapting to personnel it basically is code for "we want a dual threat/running QB".

That said I do think there is merit for running the ball and be able to do so. But there is a misnomer that "you have to do it this way or else it doesn't work or we'll call it gimmicky if it does work."

DownwardDawg
10-08-2021, 07:05 PM
A dual threat QB in this offense would crush it. If Will could run that would be perfect

It's funny so many of us want this. I wonder if Leach even considers this.

PCHSDawg
10-08-2021, 07:31 PM
I wonder if Will is told not to run because if he gets hurt we are SOL on a backup.

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2021, 08:47 PM

2008 game was damn 11 years ago. Like that figures into what he does today or what does today. 11 years ago I was an intern. Now I own my own company and have increased our under contract money by 360%. So what the 17?

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2021, 08:56 PM
I will agree that a QB that runs would destroy defenses in this offense. Will is not that type of guy, but if he would just add 3-4 7 yard slides, that would put so much pressure on the defense that when he brings the icons down, the defense reaction would open up throws all over the place in between the numbers.

TrapGame
10-08-2021, 09:08 PM
2008 game was damn 11 years ago. Like that figures into what he does today or what does today. 11 years ago I was an intern. Now I own my own company and have increased our under contract money by 360%. So what the 17?

Almost 13 years ago. I know, math is hard.

I guess it figures today b/c you guys swear he'll never change. That 2008 game was an example of focused running in the Air Raid.

R2Dawg
10-08-2021, 10:01 PM

Yep, said that when Leach got here if he would adapt with a dual threat QB we could be tough to deal with but he will not adapt anything.

I'm not asking for him to turn into smash mount but get at least 120-150 a game on the ground including some QB scrambles which should be possible with a drop 8.

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2021, 10:12 PM
k)

...and you are talking about more QB runs.... for the.... "air raid" to be more effective.

https://c.tenor.com/mcyLvmQ_qQwAAAAC/alanis-morissette-and-isnt-it-ironic-dont-you-think.gifYes

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 10:15 PM
I find it amusing that people are saying how a dual threat QB would kill it in this offense, not remembering that CML was the only other D1 offer Will had coming out of Brandon. CML inherited what he wanted. He?s not looking for a running QB. Running QBs abandon the pass too soon, so they?re not even on his radar.

R2Dawg
10-08-2021, 10:30 PM
I find it amusing that people are saying how a dual threat QB would kill it in this offense, not remembering that CML was the only other D1 offer Will had coming out of Brandon. CML inherited what he wanted. He?s not looking for a running QB. Running QBs abandon the pass too soon, so they?re not even on his radar.

I agree. I think some others agree with you too. Just an obvious observation how a dual threat QB could do some damage. CML got and runs what he wants. We are doing exactly what he wants done.

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 10:33 PM
Like button 👆🏼