PDA

View Full Version : I was looking at an overhead view of MSU practice facility.

CaptainObvious
10-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Where is there enough room for an IPF? Would they have to take one of the outdoor practice fields? Not sure that is enough room for fully functional building plus practice field inside.

HoopsDawg
10-07-2021, 11:40 PM
Many will disagree but incredible waste of money

preachermatt83
10-08-2021, 02:55 AM

I agree

OLJWales
10-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Interesting topic. How many SEC teams don't have one?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2021, 07:27 AM

I definitely disagree.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2021, 07:39 AM
Interesting topic. How many SEC teams don't have one?
Every SEC school now has one - but ours is "one of the oldest" and we share with baseball.

trob115
10-08-2021, 09:06 AM
New one will eventually be built where the turf practice field sits.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2021, 09:09 AM
New one will eventually be built where the turf practice field sits.

I really like that turf practice field. Nearly impossible for practice to be rained out. Happens maybe once or twice per season.

dawgman15
10-08-2021, 09:22 AM

You have to have facilities to compete for recruiting. At this point even Vanderbilt will have nicer indoor facilities than us

HoopsDawg
10-08-2021, 09:27 AM
You have to have facilities to compete for recruiting. At this point even Vanderbilt will have nicer indoor facilities than us

Invest in the player experience for sure. AU has a barber shop and a recording studio, lol. If we are going to do an IPF, better make it multi-purpose and not half ass it. The Palmerio center is pretty bland. If we are always trying to catch up, we will never get ahead.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Imagine living in the nicest neighborhood in town. This neighborhood has the biggest houses in town. Your house is 1 of the smaller in the neighborhood but you're still in the neighborhood. Now everyone in the subdivision builds the biggest largest fanciest pools you can get. Well you decide to go to Walmart & buy a little splash pool for your kids. The neighbors don't say anything to your face but all talk behind your back. All of a sudden your house & property loses value because of that cheap pool. That's MSU & the Palmeiro.

If recruiting is the lifeblood of your program & every one of your competitors are walking recruits through their stadium, football facilities, & IPF then we take them to the Palmeiro or say we don't have 1 it looks 2nd rate. Everyone has 1 but us. It makes no sense & it's not that hard to build around the turf field with a walkway from the weight room. I've heard David Murray say it would stop the coaches from being able to see the field from the balcony of the Seal or their offices. I've seen several IPF's with either glass windows on the side or the raised garage door style openings on the side. It's a weak excuse. We're bringing in more money than we ever have & it's about to go up with Texas & Oklahoma coming. Get it done.

confucius say
10-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Not disagreeing. But what if instead of building the fancy pool to look like the rest of the neighbors, you use that money to build something even nicer that nobody else in the neighborhood has and then show it off? You gain property value bc nobody else has what you have.

Just food for thought.

Maverick91
10-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Not disagreeing. But what if instead of building the fancy pool to look like the rest of the neighbors, you use that money to build something even nicer that nobody else in the neighborhood has and then show it off? You gain property value bc nobody else has what you have.

Just food for thought.

IPF.... with a pool and a slipping slide. :D

OLJWales
10-08-2021, 10:00 AM
So what's more important, access to better practice options or nice shit for croots to admire?

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:04 AM
I really like that turf practice field. Nearly impossible for practice to be rained out. Happens maybe once or twice per season.

Not just about rain. Also gives players a cooler place to work out in during the Summer & Warmer in the winter.

Allows our players to get more reps together.

We're an SEC program for goodness sakes

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Imagine living in the nicest neighborhood in town. This neighborhood has the biggest houses in town. Your house is 1 of the smaller in the neighborhood but you're still in the neighborhood. Now everyone in the subdivision builds the biggest largest fanciest pools you can get. Well you decide to go to Walmart & buy a little splash pool for your kids. The neighbors don't say anything to your face but all talk behind your back. All of a sudden your house & property loses value because of that cheap pool. That's MSU & the Palmeiro.

If recruiting is the lifeblood of your program & every one of your competitors are walking recruits through their stadium, football facilities, & IPF then we take them to the Palmeiro or say we don't have 1 it looks 2nd rate. Everyone has 1 but us. It makes no sense & it's not that hard to build around the turf field with a walkway from the weight room. I've heard David Murray say it would stop the coaches from being able to see the field from the balcony of the Seal or their offices. I've seen several IPF's with either glass windows on the side or the raised garage door style openings on the side. It's a weak excuse. We're bringing in more money than we ever have & it's about to go up with Texas & Oklahoma coming. Get it done.

This

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:07 AM
So what's more important, access to better practice options or nice shit for croots to admire?

Seems like in this case both those goals aline

OLJWales
10-08-2021, 10:11 AM

Thank you IYOK for that education. Enjoyed the hell outta reading that.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2021, 10:14 AM

slapping a roof over our already nice turf practice field doesn't fire me up. I like how our weight room has a bay door that opens right out onto the practice field.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2021, 10:27 AM

Just food for thought.

What would that be I'm all ears?

TUSK
10-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Y?all need this:

Or maybe not??

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2021, 10:29 AM
slapping a roof over our already nice turf practice field doesn't fire me up. I like how our weight room has a bay door that opens right out onto the practice field.

That doesn't have to be the situation. That's just the easiest way to get it done. We're low on space on that side of campus. We have multiple grass fields beside the turf field, we could build it there. Where & how is just semantics to me. It needs to be done no matter how it gets done.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2021, 10:34 AM
Definitely need an IPF. And I'm not sure building it around the turf field is the answer, unless we really pump funds into it...the worst thing would be pump a ton in it and it still look meh bc we tried to build around the turf field instead of just starting from scratch and hitting a homerun that we can be proud of for years to come.

Get with Dak Prescott and tell him we're going to put a statue of him in it and call it the Dak Dome, or whatever the hell he wants if he will help fund it. Make it a spectacle

Maverick91
10-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Definitely need an IPF. And I'm not sure building it around the turf field is the answer, unless we really pump funds into it...the worst thing would be pump a ton in it and it still look meh bc we tried to build around the turf field instead of just starting from scratch and hitting a homerun that we can be proud of for years to come.

Get with Dak Prescott and tell him we're going to put a statue of him in it and call it the Dak Dome, or whatever the hell he wants if he will help fund it. Make it a spectacle

This!

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2021, 11:08 AM

It makes sense to use the location of the turf field because it can be integrated into the existing football complex. Go straight from the weight room and meeting rooms into the IFP.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 11:19 AM

Agree. Go all out if we're going to do it.

dawgman15
10-08-2021, 11:55 AM

We have some great architects and engineers who are alumni that I believe could make it turn out wonderfully. I say that without having any real knowledge of the existing conditions. I'm sure my firm could do it though

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2021, 12:51 PM

It's the best choice. Only other option would be the field I remember mostly used by the kickers that is next to the tennis and softball complex. but then it's wayyy away from the weightroom and football complex.. not a good choice.
wondered if we could flip the fields and put it on the NW corner of the football complex but nope.. would be sitting in the middle of HWY 12

Commercecomet24
10-08-2021, 01:02 PM

I like this idea! Dak's got a little discretionary income to spend right now, lol!

Commercecomet24
10-08-2021, 01:03 PM
Agree. Go all out if we're going to do it.

Absolutely right, do it right and don't halfway do it.

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2021, 01:09 PM
A look at other faculties in the SEC from 7 year
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-football-indoor-practice-facilities/s ago..

UGA just built a massive one that took up 2 of their practice facilities and it's shared with indoor track and field.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/project-galleries/architectural-showcase/pfTHdcM4J2/william-porter-payne-and-porter-otis-payne-indoor-athletic-facility-athens-ga#next-slide

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2021, 01:15 PM
My biggest concern... Yes we just won a NC in Baseball but we need to strike while the iron is hot and do more upgrades in the Palmeiro Center.

Arkansas has some of the best baseball indoor facilities. we were ranked #3 behind vandy and them last year.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/may/09/ua-baseball-recognized-for-top-notch-fa/

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/facility/fowler-family-baseball-track-training-center/

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2021, 01:17 PM
What would that be I'm all ears?

An outdoor kitchen! Sam's got dem griddles on sale.

Seriously, How many fields are used on any given practice? Or for the most part? There are 4 fields currently. Also, doesn't Leach use Scott Field on occasion?

Seems to me you build a new IPF on top of one of the existing fields and you still have 4-5 fields to practice on. One just happens to be indoors.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2021, 01:39 PM
It's the best choice. Only other option would be the field I remember mostly used by the kickers that is next to the tennis and softball complex. but then it's wayyy away from the weightroom and football complex.. not a good choice.
wondered if we could flip the fields and put it on the NW corner of the football complex but nope.. would be sitting in the middle of HWY 12

Yes and that's my concern. Don't do it, just to do it. Maybe there are other player experience upgrades we can make that would help in recruiting.

IMissJack
10-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Jomo could have used a lazy river at the practice facility.*

R2Dawg
10-08-2021, 10:04 PM

And we will still beat Vandy every time we play them. I doubt it will change recruiting one bit.

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 10:23 PM
We built the Carnegie Hall of baseball and look how it has paid off. We are finally off the list of nobodies? if we can?t or won?t do the same for football, our biggest revenue driver, it?s an indictment on JC.

R2Dawg
10-08-2021, 10:28 PM
We built the Carnegie Hall of baseball and look how it has paid off. We are finally off the list of nobodies? if we can?t or won?t do the same for football, our biggest revenue driver, it?s an indictment on JC.

We were called the Carnegie Hall of baseball before the new Dude because of the atmosphere not the facility.

We were going to win a NC in baseball at some point regardless of a new Dude or not. Not saying it wasn't good and puts us in an even better spot but just having nice facilities doesn't win NC. There is a long list of schools who have spent tons of money and no NC - look at TAMU for one.

preachermatt83
10-08-2021, 11:02 PM

Yup

IMissJack
10-08-2021, 11:02 PM
We were called the Carnegie Hall of baseball before the new Dude because of the atmosphere not the facility.

We were going to win a NC in baseball at some point regardless of a new Dude or not. Not saying it wasn't good and puts us in an even better spot but just having nice facilities doesn't win NC. There is a long list of schools who have spent tons of money and no NC - look at TAMU for one.

So true. Look at the basketball facility Duke plays in, vs what Tennessee plays in.

preachermatt83
10-08-2021, 11:05 PM
Guys, we don’t have unlimited funds like some of you all seem to think we do. We would need a very large donation to even consider this

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2021, 11:13 PM
Guys, we don’t have unlimited funds like some of you all seem to think we do. We would need a very large donation to even consider this

It wouldn't be hard to get done.

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 11:19 PM

I was talking about building the structure to match our atmosphere. I know many think that it was bound to happen sooner or later, but we went a very long time being the bridesmaid, and when we got that shiny new diamond, we got our NC. I guess my biggest point is that a National championship isn?t a clearance budget item.

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 11:24 PM
SEC network money has opened possibilities that most schools can?t imagine. If we choose not to reinvest it in our cash cows, then we might need to find another team. While I know we pride ourselves on baseball, football and basketball move the meter on national perception.

dotcomdawg
10-08-2021, 11:55 PM
Approach Dak. Offer to name it the Peggy Prescott Center in honor of his mom. They players are going to end up calling it something like the "Dak Shack" anyway. Maybe employ the architecture firm Jerry Jones used on their practice facility to do a small project (in their scope of work), and build an indoor practice facility to the east of the Seal Center at the edge of the Loft parking lot where the big pile of dirt and construction dumpsters are now. It would be closer to the outdoor practice fields and on unused property that overlooks the practice fields.

Dak Holliday
10-09-2021, 12:02 AM
Like button 👆🏼

Dawgfan77
10-09-2021, 05:15 AM
Guys, we don?t have unlimited funds like some of you all seem to think we do. We would need a very large donation to even consider this
You have no clue. We aren't poor Ol Mississippi State of years past. Some on here need to drop that mentality. We have quite a few alumni and supporters that this IPF is not a matter of will but when it will happen

Dawgbite
10-09-2021, 07:20 AM
Why not just replace The Palmiero Center. Tear it down and the little baseball office so that it can be enlarged. Incorporate the baseball offices into the new structure.

CaptainObvious
10-09-2021, 01:32 PM
We have multi millionaire NFL players as Alumni. We need our dynamic AD to schedule a little off season meeting with all of them!!

Homedawg
10-09-2021, 01:43 PM
Approach Dak. Offer to name it the Peggy Prescott Center in honor of his mom. They players are going to end up calling it something like the "Dak Shack" anyway. Maybe employ the architecture firm Jerry Jones used on their practice facility to do a small project (in their scope of work), and build an indoor practice facility to the east of the Seal Center at the edge of the Loft parking lot where the big pile of dirt and construction dumpsters are now. It would be closer to the outdoor practice fields and on unused property that overlooks the practice fields.

Dak has been approached. We met w him in California this summer.

Bothrops
10-09-2021, 06:17 PM

Somewhat agree, just put that money into the south endzone project.

IMissJack
10-09-2021, 06:31 PM
My biggest concern... Yes we just won a NC in Baseball but we need to strike while the iron is hot and do more upgrades in the Palmeiro Center.

Arkansas has some of the best baseball indoor facilities. we were ranked #3 behind vandy and them last year.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/may/09/ua-baseball-recognized-for-top-notch-fa/

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/facility/fowler-family-baseball-track-training-center/

The weather in Fayetteville requires good indoor practice facilities for baseball in early Spring

R2Dawg
10-10-2021, 01:59 PM
I was talking about building the structure to match our atmosphere. I know many think that it was bound to happen sooner or later, but we went a very long time being the bridesmaid, and when we got that shiny new diamond, we got our NC. I guess my biggest point is that a National championship isn?t a clearance budget item.

Ok, guess we disagree. You think we have to have some massive structure in order to win.

My point is you don't buy a NC. Every school has good facilities. Clemson, FSU in football were not world class facilities when they won.

Sticking to baseball, where is USC or Coastal Carolina's great facility for their baseball NC runs?

I'm not against good facilities but we got nice facilities. NC programs is a lot more than that.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-11-2021, 12:20 AM

I agree with you and think we need an IPF. I don?t agree with the analogy because most of the folks in the big houses have mortgages and car payments. Maybe the dude in the smaller house has all his stuff paid for. In football you have to keep up with the Jones. In life it ain?t worth it.

Bothrops
10-11-2021, 07:02 PM
I don't think an IPF would move the needle much for our recruiting, and wouldnt make any difference after about 4-5 years. The return isn't worth the investment. Northwestern has the paragon of IPFs and it doesn't change things that much recruiting wise, and it is a truly a marvel of a place. We will be hitting the portal every year anyway, since we can't recruit well enough to fill our all needs every year.

Ari Gold
10-11-2021, 07:12 PM
I definitely disagree.

I disagree 100% as well

HoopsDawg
10-12-2021, 10:46 AM
I don't think an IPF would move the needle much for our recruiting, and wouldnt make any difference after about 4-5 years. The return isn't worth the investment. Northwestern has the paragon of IPFs and it doesn't change things that much recruiting wise, and it is a truly a marvel of a place. We will be hitting the portal every year anyway, since we can't recruit well enough to fill our all needs every year.

Agree! And they actually need an IPF with the weather they have.