PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's thoughts: Don't be surprised when we are next year's Auburn

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Quick thoughts on this game:

1. Our d-line and linebackers are hell on wheels and they return most everybody next year. We should control the line of scrimmage in all games next season except Bama.

2. Our secondary is getting better and better each game. Really impressed with the way they competed tonight. Will Redmond is a stud, Calhoun played well, and next year we get Hughes back.

3. We have to keep Jeff Collins. Our defense is showing improvement every single week.

4. Our offensive line is obviously very well coached. Pass protection was excellent and NO pre-snap penalties.

5. Tough night for the wide-receivers, we are young here and must continue to get better. Many WR units struggle against Bama because they are scared of getting their dick knocked off.

6. QB position is a mess right now. In order to beat ARK and OM, we need Dak or Tyler to be healthy, preferably Dak. Williams is decent player, but it will be tough to win in Little Rock with him. Just didn't look ready, but that may have been a practice reps problem.

7. We must find a kicker before next year. An adequate kicker could be the single greatest position need going into next year. You simply can't afford the lack of production we have been seeing at this position. Since Dak is the holder, I'm not sure how much that effected the kicker tonight. Still no excuse though.

8. Not sure why we have a targeting rule in college football if it isn't going to be enforced. Bama should have been called at least twice for targeting. Just inexplicable

9. Chris Jones is a man amongst boys. Some people may say that McCarron just played bad tonight with 2 ints, but if you back and watch the video, you will see that #96 was up his ass all night long and caused those poor throws. He also had a sack and batted down ball. Possibly the best true freshman in the country.

Overall, this game went about like I expected; very few surprises. I expected to lose, and expected our offense, with Tyler, to struggle. However, I did think our d-line and linebackers would give us a chance, and they did. Our secondary actually played better than I thought they would. Earlier this week, I said that I thought we had to find a way to keep Bama under 17 points to win the game and we almost did. I thought we could score 17 and we should have. With a TD or field goal when we were close in the first half and the opposite in the second half, we would have scored 17.

Although my opinion could change with a bad effort against ARK and OM, I am really liking the direction this team is heading right now. I know we have lost the last 3 games, but at some point in the last 3 games we have started to play physical ass, SEC, Mississippi State style defense, and that is the style we have won with in the past. Throw in a healthy Dak on offense, and we are one of the more physical teams in college football.

Mullen got two 4 star 2015 commits tonight, and we had a great atmosphere and performance in front of 200+ recruits. Guys, I know the injuries and losses are frustrating, but I have seen a fundamental change in the style of football we play in the last 3 weeks and I believe this ship is headed in the right direction. We still have to clean up the kicking game and little things, but the physicality of this team, the effort, and ability to control the line of scrimmage is growing by the day. Very impressed.

I always reserve the right to change my mind, but as of right now, I don't see any way in hell Mullen isn't back next year. This team is primed for a big season next year barring Dak getting hurt, big if.

Going forward, I want to continue to see our defense play at this level and continue to get better. I want to see us go over to Little Rock and play like a team that was in the game against Bama tonight. I hope that Dak is healthy and I want to see us play the style offense that we know works.

IMO, I don't think we lose to ARK or OM if Dak is healthy, and if we lose without Dak, I don't see the administration firing Mullen with all the QB injuries we have had this year. If Dak is healthy, we beat ARK, OM, and win bowl game, and go into next season with opportunity to be what Auburn is this year.

We are close, and whoever said that Mullen had lost this team was either incorrect or the team decided to change their attitude. Whatever attitude they've developed over the last three weeks need to continue for the rest of Mullen's tenure. If it does, with the improved recruiting and improved Mullen style QB play, we can have a ton of success.

QB injuries this year have caused a major offensive identity problem. Here's the timeline:

Spring Ball - Dak is hurt, Tyler gets all reps

Fall practice - we prepare for Tyler to be the QB

OK State - Tyler gets a concussion, and we now have to switch gears and prepare for Dak

Lose Auburn game and South Carolina game, in part due to Dak's inexperience.

Offense starts clicking at aTm, but Dak gets hurt.

Bama game - We have to switch gears again, and the Tyler gets hurt and we have to play our 3rd string QB in crucial situations.

Dan certainly has his flaws, but it will be exciting to see what Dan can d

cbrunt29
11-17-2013, 07:46 AM
I think we have a really good chance at have a 9-3 possibly a 10-2 type season next year. All the ingredients are there for it, just gotta go make it happen.

Dawgfan77
11-17-2013, 08:18 AM
We need a big fast JUCO WR that can go get the ball in the air, we need a JUCO Kicker who is solid from 37 yds and in, we need a JUCO DE that can actually rush the QB, along with the JUCO OL we have coming in that should get our talent level up. I think we go 4-8 this year due to injuries at QB, no way win on the road at ARK and home against OM with a true Freshman at QB.

Dawgface
11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
And Mullen will be forced to use other running backs next year.;)

maroonmania
11-17-2013, 09:07 AM

and we won't be able to call running plays that involve TR running the ball.

Barking 13
11-17-2013, 09:10 AM

X10

maroonmania
11-17-2013, 09:21 AM
I think we have the potential to be much better next year but a few things need to happen. Special teams have to be shored up in general but most importantly finding a consistent FG kicker. Secondary play and coaching has GOT to improve significantly. Its one thing to get beat in coverage but the last couple of weeks we have just turned receivers loose for HUGE gains and that can't happen. Guys don't understand who they have in certain packages and that is as much a coaching issue as a player issue. And in general we just need more playmakers on offense both in the run game and pass game. We aren't breaking off any long runs and we are dropping passes that should be big gainers. You can tell the reason a lot of our skill guys were slightly lower rated in the recruiting rankings than a lot of other SEC recruits is because they are not as polished and that causes us to "fail to make a play" or "not execute" when its crunch time. Our guys have all the physical tools but aren't as skilled and consistent.

I will say though that I don't expect us to do the things Auburn is doing this year because unfortunately we don't have a coach like Malzahn on staff. I just think he is one heck of an offensive coach.

Corey♥DemDawgs
11-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Great stuff, agree completely. Our defense should be lethal. Gotta sure up the secondary no doubt. Our wrs will be experienced, our run game will be chaotic with Dak-Robinson-Shumpert. By the way I don't see Aeris not seeing the field his freshman year the kid is just too good.

bluelightstar
11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Will we have Auburn's coach or something too?**

EngineerDawg
11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
2014 is a big year..

USM comes to town.
Decent depth.
Many leaders are returning.
Mullen has his QB in his system.

I just hope Mullen is not looking ahead and focused on winning out '13 like we are very capable of doing.

Goat Holder
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
I just about whole-heartedly agree with this post. Great points all around.

Our offensive line is obviously very well coached. Pass protection was excellent and NO pre-snap penalties.

I think Hevesy does well when he has good players, as all coaches do. So I really won't complain too much about him. But he HAS to get better in recruiting. The guy is a prick, he ran off Donald Hawkins AND Deon Mix, two guys that wanted to be at MSU. He needs to tone down the ego.

QB injuries this year have caused a major offensive identity problem. Here's the timeline:

Spring Ball - Dak is hurt, Tyler gets all reps

Fall practice - we prepare for Tyler to be the QB

OK State - Tyler gets a concussion, and we now have to switch gears and prepare for Dak

Lose Auburn game and South Carolina game, in part due to Dak's inexperience.

Offense starts clicking at aTm, but Dak gets hurt.

Bama game - We have to switch gears again, and the Tyler gets hurt and we have to play our 3rd string QB in crucial situations.

You have a great handle on the situation. It has sucked THIS year, but it will pay off NEXT year. I think that Russell would have beaten at minimum Auburn. A future 2014 Prescott probably would have too, but he just wasn't completely ready this season.

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I honestly think we have a real shot at going 10-2 next year. The only teams that might be better than us are Bama, Auburn, and LSU. Bama and LSU lose their QBs and their best offensive weapons. Auburn loses half their defense. I'd be surprised if we don't win at least 1 of those if not more. A&M will be terrible, Vandy loses their best offensive weapon, and our OOC is easy. The only team that might improve slightly next year is the bears, but we match up well against them and should win easily.

Goat Holder
11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
I'd replace Auburn with Ole Miss out of your list. I think we'll go 9-3, losing on the road to Bama, LSU and Ole Miss. Still a great season.

EngineerDawg
11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd replace Auburn with Ole Miss out of your list. I think we'll go 9-3, losing on the road to Bama, LSU and Ole Miss. Still a great season.

that is a very realistic projection. I like.

smootness
11-19-2013, 10:33 AM
A&M will not be terrible.

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 10:37 AM
A&M will not be terrible.

Maybe terrible was a stretch, but I'd be VERY surprised if they finish above .500 in the SEC. Of course, this is assuming Manziel and Mike Evans both go pro. If they do, they will basically lose their entire offense other than their O-line. Their terrible defense is losing a few players as well, but I still expect minor improvement on that side of the ball.

A&M's identity is score points and win in a shootout. They are going to have serious problems scoring next year, at least like they have been.

cheewgumm
11-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Don't be shocked if we go 7-5.

We have been "close" some 2009. Check those 2009 scores against ranked teams.

smootness
11-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe terrible was a stretch, but I'd be VERY surprised if they finish above .500 in the SEC. Of course, this is assuming Manziel and Mike Evans both go pro. If they do, they will basically lose their entire offense other than their O-line. Their terrible defense is losing a few players as well, but I still expect minor improvement on that side of the ball.

A&M's identity is score points and win in a shootout. They are going to have serious problems scoring next year, at least like they have been.

We'll see, but I've never seen a Sumlin team struggle to score many points. They've recruited at an incredible clip the last few years and will have options at both QB and WR. Obviously it would be crazy if they produced another Manziel, but they'll still be tough to stop on offense.

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
We'll see, but I've never seen a Sumlin team struggle to score many points. They've recruited at an incredible clip the last few years and will have options at both QB and WR. Obviously it would be crazy if they produced another Manziel, but they'll still be tough to stop on offense.

I can agree with that. I still think we should be able to beat them, especially since we've got them at home and after a bye.

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
I honestly think we have a real shot at going 10-2 next year. The only teams that might be better than us are Bama, Auburn, and LSU. Bama and LSU lose their QBs and their best offensive weapons. Auburn loses half their defense. I'd be surprised if we don't win at least 1 of those if not more. A&M will be terrible, Vandy loses their best offensive weapon, and our OOC is easy. The only team that might improve slightly next year is the bears, but we match up well against them and should win easily.

If we play defense like we did against Bama next year, we can be really good. I expect the offense to be better since we will finally be rid of Russell and Perkins. I love those 2 guys but they are horribly misused, and the only way to make it stop is for them to no longer be an option it appears.

I would like to see Cox be moved back to Safety where he was an all American last year, and I think our defense will be stout.

Offensively, we have tons of playmakers at RB returning, all of our WR's and TE's returning, and of course Dak. Some question our OLine next year, but after looking at the depth chart, we actually have a lot returning with experience beyond just Clausell and Day. Malone, Beckwith, Senior, Clayborne have all gotten experience this year and will return. Plus, we will have the JUCO guys. Not to mention we have 2-3 classes worth of redshirts below them.

It will all be about coaching next year. Mullen has brought in some talent, now can he coach it to win big games? If he can't win 8+ with the team we're returning next year, will he ever win 8+'again?

Madkinmecrazy
11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
It will all be about coaching next year. Mullen has brought in some talent, now can he coach it to win big games? If he can't win 8+ with the team we're returning next year, will he ever win 8+'again?

If he can't win at least 8 next year, I think it's time for him to go.

I'm 100% behind him this year, just because I see so much potential for this team and his system, and I think a change in coach would eliminate some of the system advantages we will have.

That being said, if we go 7-5 next year and make a bowl game, I doubt he will go anywhere unless he chooses to make a move (especially if he is able to get bowl eligible this year).

SignalToNoise
11-19-2013, 11:17 AM
No more bullshit excuses from the pro Mullen crowd if we flop again next year.

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 11:17 AM
If he can't win at least 8 next year, I think it's time for him to go.

I'm 100% behind him this year, just because I see so much potential for this team and his system, and I think a change in coach would eliminate some of the system advantages we will have.

That being said, if we go 7-5 next year and make a bowl game, I doubt he will go anywhere unless he chooses to make a move (especially if he is able to get bowl eligible this year).

Yep. And that's where you start getting into the reasons why some of us want(ed)'to make a change this year if we didn't make a bowl. Because like you said, next year he could win 6-7 games and have underachieved, and then we know there will be no change. But I just hope he can find a way to win these last two where it doesn't matter.

If he prepares the team and gets them to fight for 4 quarters like he did the last two weeks....I see no reason why we can't have one of our best seasons in history next year. But it will still take some upsets, because Auburn, ole miss, and Arkansas will also be getting better....A&M will only be slightly worse....and Bama and LSU may take small steps back due to losing AJ and Mett, but it won't be a big drop off I doubt. So Mullen will have to learn to beat teams that are equal or better than him at some point. We're in the SEC, so we can't schedule 10 teams worse than us...next year he has got to step the hell up.

CadaverDawg
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM

I agree. But then the question will be...what is considered a flop with that schedule and our returning talent?

Tbonewannabe
11-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Vandy also lost their best weapon last year. This isn't an easy win. As Coach34 had said numerous times, don't expect to win the Eggbowl unless you are at home. If you lose at home the coach has pretty much been fired. There aren't any easy wins in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Completely agree. I am still pro Mullen at the moment, but if he gets another year, 8 wins is the minimum to me with no blowout losses.

I think we are improving and are very close to being a really good team, but at some point, it has to turn into wins or getting better is useless.

Next year win or be gone for me.

Sam&DeansDawg
11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Hell if we play our cards right we might even make a BCS bowl. Every team will be down in the West but Auby and the bears. Auby got lucky early this year with us and the black bears won't want none next year!

lachepas565
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Quick thoughts on this game:

3. We have to keep Jeff Collins. Our defense is showing improvement every single week.

The first step in keeping Geoff Collins may be to learn how to spell his name.

mek34
11-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I think we will be greatly improved next year