PDA

View Full Version : Rogers - more talk

TaleofTwoDogs
10-03-2021, 01:24 AM
I think we can all agree this was the best complete performance by Rogers in the maroon and white. Still a long way to go, but he is far better than just a serviceable QB. I think I started to become more of a believer on the play where he was flushed out of the pocket and ran with determination to pick up the 1st down rather than slide at the first sign of trouble. That play alone was a huge step forward for his confidence.

With that, I have a question. Much has been written about Roger's physical strengths and weaknesses, particularly arm strength. Something I have not noticed in our discussions has been Will's hand-size. A QB's ability to control and power a football begins with his hand size. It looks to me like Rogers may have a smaller hand then most QBs based on soft throws and lack of force applied at the time of release.

Any thoughts? By the way, the largest hand-size among active NFL QB's - our own Dak Prescott at 10.88 inches (measuring the wingspan from thumb to pinky).

Todd4State
10-03-2021, 01:32 AM
I think Will is going to be a really good QB for us and will continue to get better.

I also think a lot of the arm strength/physical/hand size stuff is going to affect him more as far as being a NFL prospect but that doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good college QB.

I think he is basically a lot like Graham Harrell or other QB's that Leach has had that are very productive QB's in the Air Raid in college but maybe don't translate as well to the NFL. But I also think he is a high football IQ guy that could end up being a coach one day.

I remember Steve Young who didn't have the strongest arm ever saying one time in an interview that arm strength even in the NFL- as long as you can throw the ball 50 yards downfield you can function because even in the NFL they're not going to ask you to throw it more than 50 yards more than a couple of times a game. I think Will can do that now. We don't ask him to throw the ball more than 50 yards very often so it's OK.

He just has to continue to get more familiar with our offense, get reps and continue to learn from being exposed to college defenses and he will improve.

OLJWales
10-03-2021, 01:49 AM
Hand size. Shoulda known all along.

bulldawg28
10-03-2021, 05:32 AM
I give Will credit. Whenever he becomes truly consistent he'll be elite.

Ranchdawg
10-03-2021, 06:40 AM
I think aTm QB was shown several times on the sideline trying different footballs. It appeared that he was trying to find one that was less inflated than others. Less inflated would lend itself to a QB that has a smaller hand.