PDA

View Full Version : Here's the reality of the Air Raid

Todd4State
10-03-2021, 12:08 AM
The only way to stop it is to do one of two things:

1. Have Alabama or 2018 MSU talent on the defensive line. Not many teams have that who we will play.

2. Run the 3-8 and hope that we screw up somewhere along the way.

So teams are basically having to run something that they don't typically care to run in hopes that we beat ourselves. That works pretty good in Leach's first year somewhere that his team hasn't gotten enough reps to master the Air Raid. See last year. But it's going to work less and less the more we run this scheme, master it, and add players to it. Teams are basically asking us to pick them apart 5-15 yards at a time. If that doesn't work then they have to decide whether they want to keep doing what isn't working or bring pressure and get gashed in the air. Basically it's pick your poison. Right now we're at the point where we aren't quite good enough at running the offense to overcome turnovers. But there's more to it than that. By asking us to pick people apart what ends up happening is the other team doesn't get to run their offense as much. In a way the offense acts as the defense. Yes, like the triple option. However, unlike the triple option this offense has better comeback ability as we have seen this year. Essentially what all of this does is level the playing field for us against teams with much higher rated players like LSU and Texas A&M and at least gives us a chance to win. This offense allows us to automatically dictate to the other team what we want them to do on defense. So, going in it's all about getting reps with our offense and getting better and better at it.

Tonight we forced Texas A&M to choose between running the drop 8 or get gashed running man. They choose to get picked apart and then gambled by blitzing in the red zone and we burned them. It didn't matter though. If they had kept running zone we probably would have just kept picking them apart. That's the quandry that teams face.

And as I said we are not quite good enough at mastering this offense to overcome turnovers yet. Once we get to that point we will win a LOT of games because this system will be completely implemented. As it is for us the key is to not turn the ball over and keep Marc Curles the hell away from Starkville. And then pair that with a typical MSU blitzing defense and Brock's special teams units and we will be really fun to watch.

Tonight I think was a turning point for our program. We'll see. I'm sure we'll lose to Alabama but whatever. Regardless I think we finish the year strong and keep getting better and better.

memsu06
10-03-2021, 12:15 AM
I'm in full agreement.

We're never going to go head to head against and elite Bama or Georgia team, but the Air Raid allows us to do more with less talent compared to Mullen's offense. We're gonna get some upsets once we put it all together.

Todd4State
10-03-2021, 12:29 AM
I'm in full agreement.

We're never going to go head to head against and elite Bama or Georgia team, but the Air Raid allows us to do more with less talent compared to Mullen's offense. We're gonna get some upsets once we put it all together.

Or Jackie or Moorhead's offense for that matter too. With most of those offenses it was the opposite. We could run the ball but we couldn't pass very well unless Dak was our QB. So, teams basically would load up 9 in the box and dare us to throw if we couldn't run. There was always a risk of us not being able to do that. And if we weren't a lot of times we would not only lose but get blown out.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2021, 12:37 AM
Or Jackie or Moorhead's offense for that matter too. With most of those offenses it was the opposite. We could run the ball but we couldn't pass very well unless Dak was our QB. So, teams basically would load up 9 in the box and dare us to throw if we couldn't run. There was always a risk of us not being able to do that. And if we weren't a lot of times we would not only lose but get blown out.

Nailed it. And it was painful to watch too.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2021, 12:40 AM
The Air Raid is summed up at the top of Leach's Twitter account.

The enemy's strength IMO is blue blood defensive lines. The Air Raid virtually removes them from the game.

https://twitter.com/coach_leach/status/1003391155352920065?s=21