TNDawg35
10-02-2021, 09:25 PM
This man for president…

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Coming in hot lol

SailingDawg
10-02-2021, 09:27 PM
Made a few downfield completions tonight, correct?

Tough Dawg
10-02-2021, 09:28 PM
C34 wants to be the smartest guy in the room. But he lacks self awareness. Great win for the dawgs.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2021, 09:28 PM
What happened to that super great A&M defense?

basedog
10-02-2021, 09:30 PM
Jimbo is not worth $7 million. Just saying.
Rogers was great and I'm really happy for him. He showed he is a gamer!

TNDawg35
10-02-2021, 09:31 PM
What happened to that super great A&M defense?

They ran out of Coach34’s coffee…

Vandownbytheriver
10-02-2021, 09:31 PM
We will hear all about how he's smarter than A&Ms DC and they gifted us the game. A&M made too many mistakes. Will finally read his Sunday Mornin qb from last week and pushed the ball down the field. Something of that sort.

WeDemBoyz
10-02-2021, 09:32 PM
I cant wait for his Monday Morning QB where he says how he was still right. He been active all day but now he?s quiet. I feel sorry for his dog.. you know he just got a kicking.

Turfdawg67
10-02-2021, 09:38 PM
I cant wait for his Monday Morning QB where he says how he was still right. He been active all day but now he?s quiet. I feel sorry for his dog.. you know he just got a kicking.

Gotta be so sad to so quiet after a win... truly pathetic to revel in defeat.

HoopsDawg
10-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Great win tonight. A&M is a bad football team, but everyone should enjoy it. I don't get the need to come on here and call Coach34 out, but to each his own.

Vandownbytheriver
10-02-2021, 09:44 PM
Great win tonight. A&M is a bad football team, but everyone should enjoy it. I don't get the need to come on here and call Coach34 out, but to each his own.

Maybe because that's what he and a few others on here love to do? Just a thought.

Turfdawg67
10-02-2021, 09:46 PM

Course you dont, Lol. But we're a bad team too, right?!? 5 stars vs 3 stars, but whatever...

WeDemBoyz
10-02-2021, 09:46 PM
Maybe because that's what he and a few others on here love to do? Just a thought.

This exactly

HoopsDawg
10-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Course you dont, Lol. But we're a bad team too, right?!? 5 stars vs 3 stars, but whatever...

Rent free.

Coach34
10-02-2021, 09:48 PM
I joined after years of lurking just to call Coach34 a dipshit

The Airbone didnt face the 3-8 very much tonight. A&M tried to show us they can play man and beat us. They learned that lesson against the Airbone

BayouDawg
10-02-2021, 09:48 PM
The Airbone didnt face the 3-8 very much tonight. A&M tried to show us they can play man and beat us. They learned that lesson against the Airbone

This is fantastic. Keep saying it

Turfdawg67
10-02-2021, 09:50 PM
Rent free.

Awww, so sorry we won tonight douchebag.

Turfdawg67
10-02-2021, 09:51 PM
His name will soon be Airbone, like Rosebowl... Coach Airbone! Lol!

WeDemBoyz
10-02-2021, 09:52 PM

You and my wife are always right.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2021, 10:02 PM
A few of yall sitting around tonight....

https://twitter.com/fantasynrlblog/status/332029050086375424?s=20

StoneDawg
10-02-2021, 10:27 PM

This ^^^^^^^

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 10:35 PM
We're going to be in ATL in a few years & C34 will still be calling DCs dumb for not running a 3-8. All these multi-million $ DCs are idiots apparently

Coach34
10-02-2021, 10:51 PM
We're going to be in ATL in a few years & C34 will still be calling DCs dumb for not running a 3-8. All these multi-million $ DCs are idiots apparently

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha

Coach34
10-02-2021, 10:52 PM

Has Mike Leach ever won a conference title?

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 10:54 PM

It was more of a joke. Until Saban retires or TX & OU change the schedule, no one but Bama is winning the West.

My main point is that I think you're going to be sitting here in 5 years, after a ton of success, still blaming DCs for not running the 3-8 as if it were that easy to stop this offense

Coach34
10-02-2021, 10:56 PM
It was more of a joke. Until Saban retires or TX & OU change the schedule, no one but Bama is winning the West.

My main point is that I think you're going to be sitting here in 5 years, after a ton of success, still blaming DCs for not running the 3-8 as if it were that easy to stop this offense

A&M didnt play Prevent as others have. They paid the price. We'll see what happens after Bama

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 11:02 PM
A&M didnt play Prevent as others have. They paid the price. We'll see what happens after Bama

I think we are getting crisp enough that we'll destroy prevent

MrCoachKlein
10-02-2021, 11:10 PM
I see we've already got a new moniker. Airbone is an upgrade from wishbone2020?

I personally liked wishbone2020. Didn't even have the correct year.

memsu06
10-02-2021, 11:11 PM
I did join the forum after being a long time lurker due to some of the comments people were making. It's like they wish to see us fail.

I know what failure is and that was during the Croom years when I was at MSU. I graduated and we finally beat Bama, lol.

We are far from that and when we get all the pieces in place it's going to take us places we haven't gone before.

maroonmania
10-03-2021, 12:02 AM

He has won the PAC 12 North and the Big 12 South. That's at least more than Mullen has ever won.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 12:34 AM

But all of our garbage points late in games have come against the prevent. Or at least so I was told.

OLJWales
10-03-2021, 04:18 AM
They ran out of Coach34?s coffee?

Holy shit. I want to know where funny India Dude is.

OLJWales
10-03-2021, 04:21 AM

Shit post after a road upset.

RezDog7
10-03-2021, 07:48 AM

They ran zone all night. You're an idiot and it's not up for debate.

RezDog7
10-03-2021, 07:52 AM

You come to this board everyday and prove you will never be more than a jr high offensive analyst.

TrapGame
10-03-2021, 08:04 AM
They ran zone all night. You're an idiot and it's not up for debate.

Even freaking Jordan Rogers was talking about "Death by a thousand cuts." as we were finding hole after hole in the drop 8. Elko switched to man to at least try to pressure Will. And Will blew up his defense every time he did.

Last night destroyed the narrative and the Leach Haters can't stand it.

FISHDAWG
10-03-2021, 08:11 AM

For sure ... we win one SEC game and some folks act like we just won the Sugar Bowl.... wonder how loud these guys will be after the season is over... I also don't think the air raid will consistently work here but I can enjoy a win while not calling anyone out when we lose games

TNDawg35
10-03-2021, 08:52 AM
For sure ... we win one SEC game and some folks act like we just won the Sugar Bowl.... wonder how loud these guys will be after the season is over... I also don't think the air raid will consistently work here but I can enjoy a win while not calling anyone out when we lose games

That’s the problem, not with you or anything, but SOME PEOPLE wanna get on here when we loose and make sure we all know What went wrong and how this ain’t gonna work and that ain’t gonna work… We ain’t doing nothing but paying a certain 17er back l, because by god he will be sure to post some stupid ass Monday morning The View bullshit when he wants when we loose , but he goes missing when we win…

basedog
10-03-2021, 08:54 AM

I think we all should feel proud but like you I'm not fully convinced either, but I did grow a little wool. Hell Croom beat Bama so anything can happen on a given Saturday!

Let's take a deep breathe and enjoy the victory and a deserving week off. Reality hits in two weeks.

TrapGame
10-03-2021, 09:00 AM
That’s the problem, not with you or anything, but SOME PEOPLE wanna get on here when we loose and make sure we all know What went wrong and how this ain’t gonna work and that ain’t gonna work… We ain’t doing nothing but paying a certain 17er back l, because by god he will be sure to post some stupid ass Monday morning The View bullshit when he wants when we loose , but he goes missing when we win…

This^^^

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 09:02 AM

This. I used to enjoy C34 but goodness gracious he would rather see this offense fail than MSU succeed.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 09:46 AM
I think we are getting crisp enough that we'll destroy prevent

One win against a bad over rated football team has many more arrogant than what they are accusing others. Pot meet kettle.

Great win, takes more than one win to say we have arrived. Remember Leach's still greatest game? We seem to have learned nothing.

After seeing the SEC field more clearly now, we can win 6-7 games with some breaks. After Bama, UGA just not much greatness in the SEC and a few doormats Vandy, Mizzou and USC on other end. Everyone else is meh.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 09:59 AM
One win against a bad over rated football team has many more arrogant than what they are accusing others. Pot meet kettle.

Great win, takes more than one win to say we have arrived. Remember Leach's still greatest game? We seem to have learned nothing.

After seeing the SEC field more clearly now, we can win 6-7 games with some breaks. After Bama, UGA just not much greatness in the SEC and a few doormats Vandy, Mizzou and USC on other end. Everyone else is meh.

You seem real excited about your team winning.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2021, 10:13 AM

A whole lot of us said from the beginning that the SEC was tightly bunched this year - and that was why many said the only non-winnable game on the schedule was Bama and possibly A&M. Well, now A&M has entered the chat and proven that they are the same ol Aggies. We won't win 10 - but also won't lose the 10 that so many were convinced of. What has people excited is that we are competitive, and outside of 1 team on our schedule our destiny is in our own hands. The SEC hasn't been like that in a long time and it makes every game count. We may only win 6 games, but its a helluva lot more exciting than the years where we could look at the schedule and predict with certainty the wins and losses.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 10:33 AM

We won a game, I said great win. I'm as much pro MSU as anyone on here. You sound like you love Leach more than MSU. It ain't about the HC.

If you are expecting me to say Leach is going to win SEC and bring MSU to the promised land well that ain't going to happen. Great win, I want MSU to at least win 6 every year with Leach but until he finds some balance, we ain't winning more than Mullen or JWS.

Leach is a stop gap HC at best in my opinion and I'm OK with that as long as we play 500 ball and compete.

If we win the SEC and compete for a NC with Leach, I'll eat crow and like it because MSU > HC.

OLJWales
10-03-2021, 11:27 AM

No. 17ing. Shit. How stupid can you be spewing negativity after defeating a ranked team on the road?

And this "everything had to go right" shit. 17 that too. The harder you work, the "luckier" you get. "Everything going right" does not happen accidentally.

Lance Harbor
10-03-2021, 11:29 AM
"Airbone" is his new skin care pyramid scheme....shooting for that pink caddy.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 11:37 AM
We won a game, I said great win. I'm as much pro MSU as anyone on here. You sound like you love Leach more than MSU. It ain't about the HC.

If you are expecting me to say Leach is going to win SEC and bring MSU to the promised land well that ain't going to happen. Great win, I want MSU to at least win 6 every year with Leach but until he finds some balance, we ain't winning more than Mullen or JWS.

Leach is a stop gap HC at best in my opinion and I'm OK with that as long as we play 500 ball and compete.

If we win the SEC and compete for a NC with Leach, I'll eat crow and like it because MSU > HC.

Yes natty or bust is a reasonable expectation

TNDawg35
10-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Some of y’all act like we are this big ass sleeping Giant in football… those same people need to go over to wiki and look up Mississippi State football and see we have never won shit to matter. Maybe a put of the box strategy is what we needed and hence that’s what we’re getting in Leach…

Win as much as JWS or Mullen? Hell every single one of us will take win as much as those 2 guys… How many teams whether they were over ranked or not did Mullen beat on the road?

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 12:59 PM

Also the only reason I am pro leach is because I am pro MSU. If it becomes obvious that he has lost the program like slomo then I will be the first one to say he has to go.
But if you hate leach so much that you would rather him fail than state win then I hope you are continually disappointed.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Also the only reason I am pro leach is because I am pro MSU. If it becomes obvious that he has lost the program like slomo then I will be the first one to say he has to go.
But if you hate leach so much that you would rather him fail than state win then I hope you are continually disappointed.

I have exactly the same perspective. Good post.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Yes natty or bust is a reasonable expectation

You putting words in my mouth. Never said that. Stop spreading lies.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 03:05 PM

I'm not anti Leach, I just don't see him every doing anything better than mediocre. I am pro MSU. We have been mediocre for decade. We should expect more than average.

Some of you need to get off your high horse after one win to anyone that disagrees with Leach. Yall read what you want to read and omit other things I've said.

Typical bully cancel culture mentality by some. I got as much maroon in me as anyone on here.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Don't hate Leach, I hate his approach. 1st in passing plays, last in running plays in nation. How does that lead to anything great? How many SEC championship teams are that one dimensional and win a championship? I'll save you the trouble - none.

I'll flip it for you. If you are pro MSU why do you support something that will no lead to long term success for MSU?

I have never and will never pull for MSU to lose anything. I can't even sacrifice a meaningless game of checkers for MSU if it meant something good later. Not in my blood.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Some of y’all act like we are this big ass sleeping Giant in football… those same people need to go over to wiki and look up Mississippi State football and see we have never won shit to matter. Maybe a put of the box strategy is what we needed and hence that’s what we’re getting in Leach…

Win as much as JWS or Mullen? Hell every single one of us will take win as much as those 2 guys… How many teams whether they were over ranked or not did Mullen beat on the road?

The whole ranked team is BS. TAMU ain't good. NCstate is best win of the year. Just like the bowl streak (which I hope continues) and comparing JWS bowls. Apples and oranges.

When did I say we were a football power?

Give you a little insight - nothing achieves higher than the expectations. If you expect average, that is the best you can get.

I don't like Saban, but he has that part down which is why he wins. Guess MSU will always be average with an average fan base.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2021, 03:29 PM

I think MSU is a damn good program when well coached.

Turfdawg67
10-03-2021, 03:52 PM

Oh...^^^ here's another that is awfully quiet when we win, but chimes in 40 times on every thread when we lose.

Todd4State
10-03-2021, 04:07 PM
You putting words in my mouth. Never said that. Stop spreading lies.

You were talking about how Leach isn't going to lead us to the promised land. No one else has mentioned anything like that. We're assuming you're talking about National Championships because everyone else is taking about Dan era consistency with occasional Jackie level wins over ranked teams.

maroonmania
10-03-2021, 04:39 PM
A whole lot of us said from the beginning that the SEC was tightly bunched this year - and that was why many said the only non-winnable game on the schedule was Bama and possibly A&M. Well, now A&M has entered the chat and proven that they are the same ol Aggies. We won't win 10 - but also won't lose the 10 that so many were convinced of. What has people excited is that we are competitive, and outside of 1 team on our schedule our destiny is in our own hands. The SEC hasn't been like that in a long time and it makes every game count. We may only win 6 games, but its a helluva lot more exciting than the years where we could look at the schedule and predict with certainty the wins and losses.

That is why I laugh my ass off when folks on here say the Air Raid won't work in the SEC. The defenses in the SEC ain't all that some here try to crack them up to be. What they are really saying is the Air Raid won't work against the likes of Alabama and Georgia just like any other offense we try to run won't work very well against those teams. OM was raping everyone with their offense until they hit Bama yesterday. I'm very excited to see our offense do that well against a TA&M defense because beyond Bama and Georgia they are as good and as talented as any other SEC defense out there we will see besides Bama and Georgia. LSU should be very glad our game with them ended when it did because its pretty obvious our players are starting to figure some things out.

OLJWales
10-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Don't hate Leach, I hate his approach. 1st in passing plays, last in running plays in nation. How does that lead to anything great? How many SEC championship teams are that one dimensional and win a championship? I'll save you the trouble - none.

I'll flip it for you. If you are pro MSU why do you support something that will no lead to long term success for MSU?

I have never and will never pull for MSU to lose anything. I can't even sacrifice a meaningless game of checkers for MSU if it meant something good later. Not in my blood.

You don't for sure whether Leach will or will not have success here therefore your pessimism is unwarranted especially after beating a ranked team on the road.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 07:16 PM

Well Nostradamus I dont know whether it will lead to long term success or not and neither do you. But I will sure as hell root for it to work and not just wait for something bad to happen so I can come on here and bitch and moan.
But in 2 weeks you can celebrate a loss and beat your chest about it like you want. Just dont get your panties in a wad when you get called out for pushing your agenda. Put on your big girl pants and take it.

memsu06
10-03-2021, 08:46 PM

We rush the football, but not in a traditional way. We had more rushing yards against LSU than LSU did. They stayed in the 3-8 forcing us to rush and hoping on one of our 17 play drives we'd screw up. It mostly worked, but we still should have won that game.

TAMU tried the 3-8 until they got tired of giving up the 5 yard runs. Then they tried bringing pressure and boom we hit our receivers. Air Raid offense is taking advantage of what the defense forces you to do.

These SEC defenses want to play man and attack the line all the time, but they really can't do that against us. We're figuring it out and the future is bright.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 08:59 PM
You don't for sure whether Leach will or will not have success here therefore your pessimism is unwarranted especially after beating a ranked team on the road.

Never said I know the future; it is an opinion board, that is my opinion. I'm not a betting man but odds are way in my favor on that.

We beat a bad TAMU team. Great win, proud for out team. We can win 6-8 games this year. Great year for MSU.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 09:04 PM
Well Nostradamus I dont know whether it will lead to long term success or not and neither do you. But I will sure as hell root for it to work and not just wait for something bad to happen so I can come on here and bitch and moan.
But in 2 weeks you can celebrate a loss and beat your chest about it like you want. Just dont get your panties in a wad when you get called out for pushing your agenda. Put on your big girl pants and take it.

Not pushing an agenda bro. I have never celebrated an MSU loss in anything. The arrogance is from the Leach pushers after a win they come on here acting like we won the super bowl trying to push any realistic discussion. Puff your chest out like you are some great MSU fan.

We played a good game and won a big game on road.

Heck even Leach said we had lots of stuff to fix and improve. That is all I said and yall are freaking out. I think you need to toughen up buttercup.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 09:04 PM
Never said I know the future; it is an opinion board, that is my opinion. I'm not a betting man but odds are way in my favor on that.

We beat a bad TAMU team. Great win, proud for out team. We can win 6-8 games this year. Great year for MSU.

I agree. We shall see how it works out.

R2Dawg
10-03-2021, 09:08 PM
You were talking about how Leach isn't going to lead us to the promised land. No one else has mentioned anything like that. We're assuming you're talking about National Championships because everyone else is taking about Dan era consistency with occasional Jackie level wins over ranked teams.

I guess the promised land is competing with the blue bloods as so many have claimed that Leach is the only one that can do that at MSU because we have no talent and can't compete normally. If you compete with the blue bloods, well that is competing for a championship. Leach lovers have said that. So I didn't bring that up, just working off others commentary.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 09:08 PM
Not pushing an agenda bro. I have never celebrated an MSU loss in anything. The arrogance is from the Leach pushers after a win they come on here acting like we won the super bowl trying to push any realistic discussion. Puff your chest out like you are some great MSU fan.

We played a good game and won a big game on road.

Heck even Leach said we had lots of stuff to fix and improve. That is all I said and yall are freaking out. I think you need to toughen up buttercup.

Sure we have lots to work on. This team could easily lose out. Margin for error is slim to none this year. Your opinion is that this cannot work. Your mind is made up so every thing will be bent to fit that narrative. Which is fine. You do you. But people with differing viewpoints will call you out. I mean you started a thread to call out any leach supporters after a loss so that seemed a little low. If you can dish it out then at least take it.

BayouDawg
10-03-2021, 09:10 PM
I guess the promised land is competing with the blue bloods as so many have claimed that Leach is the only one that can do that at MSU because we have no talent and can't compete normally. If you compete with the blue bloods, well that is competing for a championship. Leach lovers have said that. So I didn't bring that up, just working off others commentary.

I am hoping for 6 to 8 wins a year with a chance to jump to 10 plus every 4 or 5 years. I dont know of any sensible person that is expecting us to compete with the blue bloods year in and year out.

OLJWales
10-04-2021, 06:30 AM
Sure we have lots to work on. This team could easily lose out. Margin for error is slim to none this year. Your opinion is that this cannot work. Your mind is made up so every thing will be bent to fit that narrative. Which is fine. You do you. But people with differing viewpoints will call you out. I mean you started a thread to call out any leach supporters after a loss so that seemed a little low. If you can dish it out then at least take it.

This team could NOT easily lose out. They would hafta try REAL hard to do that.

BayouDawg
10-04-2021, 08:14 AM
This team could NOT easily lose out. They would hafta try REAL hard to do that.

Let me rephrase. Outside of vandy and TSU we could lose. I dont think we do

yjnkdawg
10-04-2021, 06:13 PM
TAMU tried the 3-8 until they got tired of giving up the 5 yard runs. Then they tried bringing pressure and boom we hit our receivers. Air Raid offense is taking advantage of what the defense forces you to do.

That's basically what Jimbo said in his presser, but a few people on here have always had their own agenda (no reference to your comment). I also hate the name Airbone, but you have to consider the source.

My bad. I was reading your comment as offense and not runs. Jimbo basically said that their 3-8 couldn't stop our offense, but when they went to man and a few other things then that didn't work either.

Todd4State
10-04-2021, 08:02 PM

Well, we've certainly competed with LSU and Texas A&M and had a chance to win one and did win the other. I have no problem with that.

Coach34
10-04-2021, 08:06 PM
Well, we've certainly competed with LSU and Texas A&M and had a chance to win one and did win the other. I have no problem with that.

And LSU is trying to figure out how to fire Orgeron and not pay him. A&M is looking at 3-5/2-6 in the SEC this year. A&M may put him on the hot seat for 2022

msstate7
10-04-2021, 08:11 PM
That's basically what Jimbo said in his presser, but a few people on here have always had their own agenda (no reference to your comment). I also hate the name Airbone, but you have to consider the source.

There were 3 runs over 5 yards the whole game. 2 were by RBs (both in first half) and 1 by will in the 2nd half. Our RBs had 11 carries for 35 yards on the night.

These are the 3 carries over 5 yards:
Marks for 11
Johnson for 7
Will for 10

Commercecomet24
10-04-2021, 08:17 PM
There were 3 runs over 5 yards the whole game. 2 were by RBs (both in first half) and 1 by will in the 2nd half. Our RBs had 11 carries for 35 yards on the night.

Marks for 11
Johnson for 7
Will for 10

Dillon Johnson had 2 carries for 11 yards on the very last drive so one of those has to be over 5 yards. But yeah there weren't very many

msstate7
10-04-2021, 08:23 PM
Dillon Johnson had 2 carries for 11 yards on the very last drive so one of those has to be over 5 yards. But yeah there weren't very many

You're correct. Johnson for 6 on last drive. For some reason, the last drive was bolded, so I didn't look at it. Thanks

Coach34
10-04-2021, 08:25 PM
What is happening?

Some teams are concerned about letting us control the TOP and plays run in the game- aka the Airbone controlling the game. Makes them nervous. So they are trying other things other than the prevent to try and force us into a mistake. As I've talked about- coaches not going with what works- but trying something else to outcoach Leach

Commercecomet24
10-04-2021, 08:27 PM
You're correct. Johnson for 6 on last drive. For some reason, the last drive was bolded, so I didn't look at it. Thanks

Not a lot of explosive plays in the run game are there? We could stand a little improvement there and I believe we're capable with then backs we have. I would like to see Leach expand the creativity in the run game just a little.

msstate7
10-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Not a lot of explosive plays in the run game are there? We could stand a little improvement there and I believe we're capable with then backs we have. I would like to see Leach expand the creativity in the run game just a little.

And I feel like marks is a guy that can make long runs.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2021, 08:32 PM
And I feel like marks is a guy that can make long runs.

Same here. I like the way the passing game is starting to work. If Leach would just add a little more in the run game it would make us better for sure. Just a little more.

Coach34
10-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Marks will be an NFL RB

BayouDawg
10-04-2021, 08:38 PM
What is happening?

Some teams are concerned about letting us control the TOP and plays run in the game- aka the Airbone controlling the game. Makes them nervous. So they are trying other things other than the prevent to try and force us into a mistake. As I've talked about- coaches not going with what works- but trying something else to outcoach Leach

Airbone fishbone hell dinosaur bone. Whatever we run I just wanna win.

Schultzy
10-04-2021, 08:39 PM

Our backs do a good job of running north and south but it seems like they hardly ever break a tackle or make somebody miss to get that long gainer or even that extra 10 yards.

It just seems like they’re too easy t get a bead on for the tackler.

Schultzy
10-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Marks will be an NFL RB

I like his toughness but I just don’t see enough wiggle or breaking of tackles going on to make an NFL roster. Both ours catch it and block well but damn when is one of them going to break a tackle and get us a few extra yards.

Dak Holliday
10-04-2021, 10:32 PM
I would like to see us overcome a team using the drop 8 99% of the game. Jimbo and his DC should be run out of town. He thought they could get cute and out talent us, but that?s where the AirRaid is an equalizer. No one is more excited about beating Jimbone than me, but it?s shown that CML gets a win or 2/year over better teams and it seems that it?s teams that are too egotistical to play a boring defense that has shown itself to be the Achilles heel to the AirRaid so far. I say that to say this, while this win was great, it in no ways indicates future success or that it works in the SEC, but here?s to hoping. Hail State!

yjnkdawg
10-04-2021, 10:35 PM

Marks for 11
Johnson for 7
Will for 10

My bad 7. I lacked reading comprehension on that reply. I was reading it as our offense and not "runs" :rolleyes: Jimbo basically said that their 3-8 couldn't stop our offense, but when they went to man and a few other things then that didn't work either.

BayouDawg
10-04-2021, 10:39 PM
My bad 7. I lacked reading comprehension on that reply. I was reading it as our offense and not "runs" :rolleyes: . Jimbo basically said their 3-8 couldn't stop our offense , but their main coverage and some other things didn't work the way they thought they would either.

Yea we got to their zone pretty good and they felt they had to change it up some.

BayouDawg
10-04-2021, 10:41 PM
I would like to see us overcome a team using the drop 8 99% of the game. Jimbo and his DC should be run out of town. He thought they could get cute and out talent us, but that?s where the AirRaid is an equalizer. No one is more excited about beating Jimbone than me, but it?s shown that CML gets a win or 2/year over better teams and it seems that it?s teams that are too egotistical to play a boring defense that has shown itself to be the Achilles heel to the AirRaid so far. I say that to say this, while this win was great, it in no ways indicates future success or that it works in the SEC, but here?s to hoping. Hail State!

I hear what youre saying but Jimbo himself said their drop 8 wasnt working so they tried changing it up. At what point does it become we are getting better against the drop 8 and forcing teams to make changes?

msstate7
10-04-2021, 10:42 PM
My bad 7. I lacked reading comprehension on that reply. I was reading it as our offense and not "runs" :rolleyes: Jimbo basically said that their 3-8 couldn't stop our offense, but when they went to man and a few other things then that didn't work either.

Gotcha.

msstate7
10-04-2021, 10:43 PM

Kentucky is that team. That will be a good test.

OLJWales
10-05-2021, 12:29 AM
Same here. I like the way the passing game is starting to work. If Leach would just add a little more in the run game it would make us better for sure. Just a little more.

A little more running would reduce my heartburn.

TrapGame
10-05-2021, 08:27 AM

I'm telling y'all if Leach would incorporate a dual threat QB into his scheme this offense would be straight fire.

yjnkdawg
10-05-2021, 08:36 AM
I'm telling y'all if Leach would incorporate a dual threat QB into his scheme this offense would be straight fire.

Agree. In this day and time a dual threat quarterback seems to be a necessity. Especially when you play in the SEC. Not saying by any means that we could beat Bama with a good dual threat quarterback, but the offenses that have given their defense trouble are the ones with a good RPO and a dual threat quarterback.

Maverick91
10-05-2021, 08:46 AM
Marks will be an NFL RB

You think he will learn to break a tackle?

Maverick91
10-05-2021, 08:48 AM

This makes me happy!

Tbonewannabe
10-05-2021, 09:30 AM

Rogers just needs to take the 5-10 yards when it is given. He is getting better and should be a redshirt freshman right now learning under a junior/senior. I try to remind myself that when he is checking down quickly. He was thrown into the fire and he is doing as well as any other young QB that has ever played for MSU. He has the chance to own all the records at MSU even without the extra covid year.

Dak Holliday
10-05-2021, 09:41 AM
I hear what youre saying but Jimbo himself said their drop 8 wasnt working so they tried changing it up. At what point does it become we are getting better against the drop 8 and forcing teams to make changes?

I completely understand what you?re saying. For me, it will be when a team stays with drop 8 to no avail. Jimbo had better say that it wasn?t working because there?s been quite the book written by teams against AirRaid that say differently. Did it work, or was he tired of the constant chipping away and thought he could do better? That seems to be kind of how it works.

Dak Holliday
10-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Kentucky is that team. That will be a good test.

Agree. I also get the feeling that Stoops will sell out on the drop 8.

Johnson85
10-05-2021, 09:47 AM

This is not right. If you can't block three, the 3-8 will destroy this offense. But of course, if you can't block three, you aren't going to be successful with any offense.

The 3-8 doesn't stop the offense. It lets the offense march down the field unless and until it makes a few mistakes. Last year, we were pretty much going to make enough mistakes for that to be successful. This year, it appears to be semi-successful. We have certainly shot our selves in the foot enough to kill a lot of drives. We are getting good enough at execution that it's at least hard for a DC to sit there and watch us march down the field against a 3-8. We still aren't that good and are going to have drive stalls because of mistakes and/or lack of execution, but we are going to be successful enough that DC's are going to have to at least watch us march down and get some touchdowns. I still think we are not quite consistent enough and that anybody with a good offense should just sit in the 3-8, know that we are going to score some but that ultimately we will make enough mistakes to allow them to pull away. But that decision appears to be getting harder to make each week. I think it's going to be easy for Ole Miss and Bama because they are going to know they can outscore us. It's going to be hard for UK because they might not be able to score. For Arkansas and Auburn, we really need to have some success early because them getting a lead will make it a lot easier for them.

BayouDawg
10-05-2021, 12:04 PM
I completely understand what you?re saying. For me, it will be when a team stays with drop 8 to no avail. Jimbo had better say that it wasn?t working because there?s been quite the book written by teams against AirRaid that say differently. Did it work, or was he tired of the constant chipping away and thought he could do better? That seems to be kind of how it works.

Matt Wyatt film study has a good break down of the coverages. They had their linebackers walked down a lot to deter us from running the ball that lead to them being late getting back into their zones a lot too.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2021, 12:07 PM
Matt Wyatt film study has a good break down of the coverages. They had their linebackers walked down a lot to deter us from running the ball that lead to them being late getting back into their zones a lot too.

Yes. He also showed how A&M would switch from man to zone at the snap.

From what I can see, the best & maybe the only way to stop this offense is to mix it up & attempt to confuse us with coverage. Problem with that though is that the defense gets out of position because they're moving around so much

Dak Holliday
10-05-2021, 08:26 PM
This is not right. If you can't block three, the 3-8 will destroy this offense. But of course, if you can't block three, you aren't going to be successful with any offense.

The 3-8 doesn't stop the offense. It lets the offense march down the field unless and until it makes a few mistakes. Last year, we were pretty much going to make enough mistakes for that to be successful. This year, it appears to be semi-successful. We have certainly shot our selves in the foot enough to kill a lot of drives. We are getting good enough at execution that it's at least hard for a DC to sit there and watch us march down the field against a 3-8. We still aren't that good and are going to have drive stalls because of mistakes and/or lack of execution, but we are going to be successful enough that DC's are going to have to at least watch us march down and get some touchdowns. I still think we are not quite consistent enough and that anybody with a good offense should just sit in the 3-8, know that we are going to score some but that ultimately we will make enough mistakes to allow them to pull away. But that decision appears to be getting harder to make each week. I think it's going to be easy for Ole Miss and Bama because they are going to know they can outscore us. It's going to be hard for UK because they might not be able to score. For Arkansas and Auburn, we really need to have some success early because them getting a lead will make it a lot easier for them.

The point of dropping 8 is so that the defense picks up 2 additional pass defenders knowing that the 5 lineman are most likely limited to within 3 yards of the LOS in an offense like ours. I?m sure that you buy into the when run 100% correct, this offense is unstoppable- almost every OC says this about their preferred scheme, but if this were the case, CML would have a Natty or two. I like Wyatt, but learned long ago that he skews everything he does to paint MSU in the best light possible, almost to the point of being a school spokesperson. He knows where his bread is buttered, and for this reason, I don?t blame him, but take much of his analysis and opinion with a grain of salt just like I do most other talking heads.

Johnson85
10-06-2021, 08:40 AM
The point of dropping 8 is so that the defense picks up 2 additional pass defenders knowing that the 5 lineman are most likely limited to within 3 yards of the LOS in an offense like ours. I?m sure that you buy into the when run 100% correct, this offense is unstoppable- almost every OC says this about their preferred scheme, but if this were the case, CML would have a Natty or two. I like Wyatt, but learned long ago that he skews everything he does to paint MSU in the best light possible, almost to the point of being a school spokesperson. He knows where his bread is buttered, and for this reason, I don?t blame him, but take much of his analysis and opinion with a grain of salt just like I do most other talking heads.

And if just giving yourself two extra pass defenders stopped this offense (or any offense), you would have seen it happen for the past decade. People really take this SEC superiority stuff wayyyy too far. Yes, the SEC is a better conference than the PAC12, but that doesn't mean that PAC12 coaches are part time coaches that don't scout teams or watch game film. They are still multimillion dollar coaches that could track down a video of a few of the Apple Cup games if the 3-8 really shut down the air raid like y'all think.

Maverick91
10-06-2021, 08:55 AM
And if just giving yourself two extra pass defenders stopped this offense (or any offense), you would have seen it happen for the past decade. People really take this SEC superiority stuff wayyyy too far. Yes, the SEC is a better conference than the PAC12, but that doesn't mean that PAC12 coaches are part time coaches that don't scout teams or watch game film. They are still multimillion dollar coaches that could track down a video of a few of the Apple Cup games if the 3-8 really shut down the air raid like y'all think.

This does beg the question as to why Washington was able to run this formula and win. does it work if your talent is so much better than Leach's, Washington v Washington State talent. If that is the case I hope Bama only runs the 3-8 so we can see where our talent lines up. Something isn't adding up with the Apple Cup games.

dawgman15
10-06-2021, 08:57 AM
This does beg the question as to why Washington was able to run this formula and win. does it work if your talent is so much better than Leach's, Washington v Washington State talent. If that is the case I hope Bama only runs the 3-8 so we can see where our talent lines up. Something isn't adding up with the Apple Cup games.

I have not seen the apple cup but a handful of times but it seems everytime I watched the Apple Cup their seemed to be a blizzard going on. I could see where bad weather could really hinder the scheme.

Maverick91
10-06-2021, 09:08 AM
I have not seen the apple cup but a handful of times but it seems everytime I watched the Apple Cup their seemed to be a blizzard going on. I could see where bad weather could really hinder the scheme.

Hey! That is a good point. hmmm it is much easier to make a ball fly weird than to make a man running run weird. lol

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 09:09 AM

For the PAC12 the Washington D was elite. They put a bunch of dudes in the league. Their recruiting profile was 30+ spots better than Wash St.

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 10:19 AM
For the PAC12 the Washington D was elite. They put a bunch of dudes in the league. Their recruiting profile was 30+ spots better than Wash St.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/nov/29/john-blanchette-washington-happy-to-let-mike-leach/

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 10:22 AM
The biggest thing that makes the drop 8 work so effectively is CML being so determined to make the point that a short pass is as good or better than a run, IMO. It?s his devotion to being one dimensional that makes him susceptible to this defensive scheme.

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 10:37 AM
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/nov/29/john-blanchette-washington-happy-to-let-mike-leach/

Yeah, I've read that article. So what? If the 3-8 is the Kryptonite everybody assumes it is Mike Leach would have been out of coaching a long time ago. Again, Washington's D was LEGIT and well coached.

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 10:40 AM
The biggest thing that makes the drop 8 work so effectively is CML being so determined to make the point that a short pass is as good or better than a run, IMO. It?s his devotion to being one dimensional that makes him susceptible to this defensive scheme.

And when you keep hitting those 5 yards with a RB that can get an extra 2 or 3 YAC then you have what we saw with Elko. He had to try something to pressure Will. We were going to nickle and dime his defense all the way down the field.

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 10:48 AM
I hope you are correct, but in a world of analytics, if it were near as good as you think it is, don?t you think it would be the prevailing offensive scheme in both college and the NFL? It has some good parts, but very seldom, if ever outside of CML, is it run in its entirety. I think there?s a reason for that.

Maverick91
10-06-2021, 11:00 AM
I hope you are correct, but in a world of analytics, if it were near as good as you think it is, don?t you think it would be the prevailing offensive scheme in both college and the NFL? It has some good parts, but very seldom, if ever outside of CML, is it run in its entirety. I think there?s a reason for that.

Yeah, coaches wont to look like a big dummy in Jimbo Fisher with his HUGE play sheets for different downs and distances, at certain times of games. Sometimes simple is just better, but people want to come across as so smart.

Johnson85
10-06-2021, 11:06 AM

It is the basis for a ton of offenses in the NFL and NCAA. Leach focuses on more reps and better execution rather than adding wrinkles or additional plays. The fact that every other high profile coach takes the opposite approach is pretty good evidence that that's the way to go, but it's not definitive. We'll see after Leach gets done at MSU, which I think will be the smallest talent disadvantage he will have had to deal with in his career (assuming NIL doesn't wreck our recruiting, which is a big assumption).

I also would not be shocked to see him add more wrinkles after we are executing at a high level. I could believe the argument that he wasn't going to focus on adjustments until we can run the basic offense correctly, even if that makes us worse in the short run.

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 11:06 AM

You mean like the Giants throwing to Sequon Barkley in the flat over and over and over? Just like Leach does. You spot your RB 5 yards and let him get 3 or 4 more. Sometimes, in Barkley's case, he gets a lot more.

msstate7
10-06-2021, 11:10 AM
You mean like the Giants throwing to Sequon Barkley in the flat over and over and over? Just like Leach does. You spot your RB 5 yards and let him get 3 or 4 more. Sometimes, in Barkley's case, he gets a lot more.

Are you implying the giants run leach's offense? Lol

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 11:14 AM
It has some good parts, but very seldom, if ever outside of CML, is it run in its entirety. I think there?s a reason for that.

👆🏼👆🏼👆🏼Many people use parts of it, but almost no one beside CML and Hal Mumme are 100%. I think that says something about the system. I like the sunshine is pumping approach, but it defies most logic.

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 11:14 AM
Are you implying the giants run leach's offense? Lol

Of course not. Geez.

Go get another Jimbo tattoo.**

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Can you name any other coach that runs the 100% AirRaid besides CML and CHM? Why do you think that is?

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Can you name any other coach that runs the 100% AirRaid besides CML and CHM? Why do you think that is?

Dude, I get it. You don't like Leach. He ain't going anywhere for another couple of years at least. I'm looking at the positives and not getting mired down by negatives. Life's a lot better that way.

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 11:33 AM
I actually love CML, but see serious flaws. I think he?s funny and watched lots of his interview antics before he came here. I had hoped OM would hire him when they promoted Luke just so I could see him upclose while watching his style wreak havoc on their fanbase instead of what it?s doing to ours.

msstate7
10-06-2021, 11:49 AM
I wish leach would follow kingsbury's lead and grab a dual threat qb, add TEs, and actually rush the ball some.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2021, 11:50 AM
I wish leach would follow kingsbury's lead and grab a dual threat qb, add TEs, and actually rush the ball some.

If that guy can actually throw as well, he's probably a 5 star

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2021, 11:51 AM
I actually love CML, but see serious flaws. I think he?s funny and watched lots of his interview antics before he came here. I had hoped OM would hire him when they promoted Luke just so I could see him upclose while watching his style wreak havoc on their fanbase instead of what it?s doing to ours.

What serious flaws do you see?

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 12:09 PM
What serious flaws do you see?

That his winning percentage has diminished steadily over his career, seemingly corresponding to opponents growing in familiarity with AirRaid.
TT: 84-43
WSU: 55-47
MSU: 7-9
His success seems to come heavily when he plays a team not accustomed to seeing the AirRaid. It looks to become less effective over time, and the most glaring flaw is his devotion to not change so that he can prove it still works. Do you disagree?

memsu06
10-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Everyone should go and read Swing Your Sword. Mike Leach explains the Air Raid quite well and why he does what he does.

1. It's simple which means the players aren't overthinking every play. Unlike Jimbo's play book with chapter markings.

2. Since we run the same plays so much it's simple muscle memory for your receivers, QB, etc and that makes us crisp.

3. This is why CML focuses on the fundamentals and being able to execute the plays properly.

4. With us being able to execute the plays properly it gives us an edge and slows the opponents down who may have more skilled players and now your players are performing at the same or better than theirs.

We're running 70 plays or more a game. Our offense probably has another game worth of plays under their belt right now than several other teams in the SEC. We'll get better with more reps.

CML wants to win and when he was at Oklahoma as the OC they made a fake play book to leave on the opposing side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUy1wFhIvWs

KOdawg1
10-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Dak Holliday is making some good points..

Dak Holliday
10-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Yes, perspective is important, but in swing your sword, you see it from CMLs eyes. While this is great for understanding his MO, it does little to show it from the perspective of the DCs that seemingly have his number. Once again, if this offense were so simple and effective, wouldn?t EVERYONE run it? Why don?t we see more 100% AirRaid coaches?

QuadrupleOption
10-06-2021, 12:44 PM
That his winning percentage has diminished steadily over his career, seemingly corresponding to opponents growing in familiarity with AirRaid.
His success seems to come heavily when he plays a team not accustomed to seeing the AirRaid. It looks to become less effective over time, and the most glaring flaw is his devotion to not change so that he can prove it still works. Do you disagree?

Dave Bartoo has Leach as a career +2 coaching effect coach. In other words, given comparable talent to a +0 coach, Leach will on average win 2 extra games per season with that talent.

Bad coaches don?t do that. He?s not perfect but he?s a good coach.

msstate7
10-06-2021, 12:52 PM
Dave Bartoo has Leach as a career +2 coaching effect coach. In other words, given comparable talent to a +0 coach, Leach will on average win 2 extra games per season with that talent.

Bad coaches don?t do that. He?s not perfect but he?s a good coach.

Good stat, but recruiting is a big part of being a college coach. Wonder how much of a negative his recruiting is

TrapGame
10-06-2021, 12:54 PM
Yes, perspective is important, but in swing your sword, you see it from CMLs eyes. While this is great for understanding his MO, it does little to show it from the perspective of the DCs that seemingly have his number. Once again, if this offense were so simple and effective, wouldn?t EVERYONE run it? Why don?t we see more 100% AirRaid coaches?

Stop. It.

We just went against a damn good SEC defense/DC Saturday night in their house in front of over 87,000 rowdy fans. And WON.

Elko was throwing everything at us but the kitchen sink. We still marched down the field.

msstate7
10-06-2021, 01:02 PM
This quote from lake (Washington DC) should be a concern...

https://i.postimg.cc/fRVbLXTT/5-C2839-D3-0-ABA-4789-97-D1-5-BFA6-CE39-E83.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/washington-dc-jimmy-lake-blasts-mike-leachs-offense-after-apple-cup-win/

Commercecomet24
10-06-2021, 01:04 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/fRVbLXTT/5-C2839-D3-0-ABA-4789-97-D1-5-BFA6-CE39-E83.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/washington-dc-jimmy-lake-blasts-mike-leachs-offense-after-apple-cup-win/

It's funny but Les Miles said the same thing about Mullen's offense.

Johnson85
10-06-2021, 01:13 PM

What DC has his number? UW has managed to consistently beat them by outrecruiting them by 30 spots in the recruiting rankings. With him at MSU (unless and until NIL screws us), that's a playbook that Bama, UGA, CLemson, and OSU can sort of copy?

What other DC do you know of that has consistently shut down Leach's scheme? I'm not saying it's perfect or that he couldn't do better if he was more adaptive, but I'm just curious as to where people are getting their information from that it's easy to shut down once it's installed and executed at the level that his typical teams do?

BayouDawg
10-06-2021, 01:23 PM

The biggest reason for UW dominating that series is they were able to blow up wazzu o line by only rushing 3. Dropping 8 alone wasnt enough. Their d line dominated by rushing 3 due to superior talent there.

Tbonewannabe
10-06-2021, 01:37 PM
The biggest reason for UW dominating that series is they were able to blow up wazzu o line by only rushing 3. Dropping 8 alone wasnt enough. Their d line dominated by rushing 3 due to superior talent there.

There isn't an offense that works against a defense that can dominate 5 Oline with 3 DLine. You are essentially playing 5 or 6 (depending on running QB) vs 8 at that point.

Captain Falcon
10-06-2021, 01:43 PM

I mean we don't really have enough of a sample size of his MSU tenure to be able to say it will or won't work in the long run. But to just look at his Wazzu record and use that as proof that his system has gotten worse over time ignores a ton of context. Specifically that his offenses were always good there and his worst teams were bad because of issues on defense. Also, his record improved DRASTICALLY over time at Wazzu. He averaged 4 wins a year his first three seasons and then averaged almost 9 wins a year in his last six years there.

WeDemBoyz
10-06-2021, 02:02 PM
How many imaginary like buttons would have been clicked on my original post?

Cowbell
10-08-2021, 12:03 AM

This is so true. Leach is still running the exact offense he peaked with in 2008. You can't achieve great success in this league without adapting and adjusting. We are yet to do either much. Proud of our guys for the win though. Scheme is still lackluster.

PCHSDawg
10-08-2021, 12:20 AM
This is so true. Leach is still running the exact offense he peaked with in 2008. You can't achieve great success in this league without adapting and adjusting. We are yet to do either much. Proud of our guys for the win though. Scheme is still lackluster.
After watching Kentucky beat Florida I really miss those exciting QB draws on 3rd and forever. As someone else posted somewhere "at least I can watch a MSU qb throw a pass and expect it to be caught".

msstate7
10-08-2021, 06:55 AM
After watching Kentucky beat Florida I really miss those exciting QB draws on 3rd and forever. As someone else posted somewhere "at least I can watch a MSU qb throw a pass and expect it to be caught".

So we better off without mullen? Somehow, I doubt it

ETA... just looked up FEI offensive numbers for this year vs Mullen's 2nd year.

2021 - 52nd
2010 - 43rd

This was after a full season. We haven't faced a top 25 FEI defense yet, but we have 4 (Kentucky, ark, bama, and auburn) remaining on schedule. In 2010, we faced 3 (LSU, ark, and bama) top 25 FEI defenses.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2021, 07:45 AM

2021 - 52nd
2010 - 43rd

This was after a full season. We haven't faced a top 25 FEI defense yet, but we have 4 (Kentucky, ark, bama, and auburn) remaining on schedule. In 2010, we faced 3 (LSU, ark, and bama) top 25 FEI defenses.

You know that's not what he is saying. However, Mullen can be extremely predictable. Especially when he is losing. We all know QB draw on 3rd and 8 was a Mullen staple and by the end of his run here even our disinterested wives could predict when Dan would run it. We also know outside of 2 seasons, our passing game was our weakest asset and people on here bitched regularly about it.

msstate7
10-08-2021, 08:31 AM
You know that's not what he is saying. However, Mullen can be extremely predictable. Especially when he is losing. We all know QB draw on 3rd and 8 was a Mullen staple and by the end of his run here even our disinterested wives could predict when Dan would run it. We also know outside of 2 seasons, our passing game was our weakest asset and people on here bitched regularly about it.

We're sorta predictable now too, maybe more so. Last week was a step in the right direction though, so there's hope. Ready to see the Kentucky game

TrapGame
10-08-2021, 08:37 AM

Mullen hasn't changed his offense either. It's still the same plays he had at Florida in 2008 as OC. It just looks really good with a Dak, Trask or Tebow.

msstate7
10-08-2021, 08:55 AM
Mullen hasn't changed his offense either. It's still the same plays he had at Florida in 2008 as OC. It just looks really good with a Dak, Trask or Tebow.

Lol. Dak ran the same offense in 2014 and 2015? Fitz ran the same offense in 2016 dak ran in 2015? Trask ran the dak offense of 2014 and fitz of 2017?

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2021, 09:12 AM
We're sorta predictable now too, maybe more so. Last week was a step in the right direction though, so there's hope. Ready to see the Kentucky game

Lol. Dak ran the same offense in 2014 and 2015? Fitz ran the same offense in 2016 dak ran in 2015? Trask ran the dak offense of 2014 and fitz of 2017?

Same base offense? Yes. Now, what Dan tends to be very good at is adapting his play calling to his personnel. But even then you see him revert to norm on occasion. Go watch film of us trying to run Tyler Russell in his concrete shoes.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Same base offense? Yes. Now, what Dan tends to be very good at is adapting his play calling to his personnel. But even then you see him revert to norm on occasion. Go watch film of us trying to run Tyler Russell in his concrete shoes.

Or Brandon Holloway up the middle. That guy was a warrior for trying to run up the gut in the SEC weighing about 150 lbs.

TrapGame
10-08-2021, 09:17 AM

Yes. It's the same offense. Quit being being so obtuse.

msstate7
10-08-2021, 09:29 AM

Jones already has more carries than trask did last year.

2021 Florida 58.9% run heavy
2020 Florida 56.3% pass heavy

Maybe it's technically the same offense, but it sure seems different philosophy to me. Florida is running 15.2% more this season than last

memsu06
10-08-2021, 09:39 AM
I now fully expect our WRs to catch the ball. Unlike previous years when we only completed 50% of our passes. Think about that for a second. We used to run 50% and pass 50%, but only half of those passes were caught. Now we're successful passing 75% of the time which is most of our plays.

I could see Mullen's offense definitely improve if he focused on recruiting some solid WRs that caught the ball and a QB that had a 75% completion rate. However, we never got to experience that except for maybe a brief period of Dak's time. If we had the receiver we didn't have the QB we needed, when we got the QB we didn't have the receivers.

msstate7
10-08-2021, 09:56 AM
I now fully expect our WRs to catch the ball. Unlike previous years when we only completed 50% of our passes. Think about that for a second. We used to run 50% and pass 50%, but only half of those passes were caught. Now we're successful passing 75% of the time which is most of our plays.

I could see Mullen's offense definitely improve if he focused on recruiting some solid WRs that caught the ball and a QB that had a 75% completion rate. However, we never got to experience that except for maybe a brief period of Dak's time. If we had the receiver we didn't have the QB we needed, when we got the QB we didn't have the receivers.

Better stat to use would be yds/play. Currently, we're 11th in the sec. Mullen finished higher than that all but 1 year (11th in 2017). We were 13th last year

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:00 AM

2021 - 52nd
2010 - 43rd

Mullen could clearly implement his system faster than Leach due to adjusting the scheme to the players. Absent a $100 mil QB , this system gives us a much greater chance of competing for SEC West though due to how it neutralizes the DL.

So, if you've been Ok with it taking time for Leach to get the WRs & QB up to speed, then this offense is better. If you needed to win day 1, then Mullen would be a better option

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Not sure predictability matters in the Air Raid

msstate7
10-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Mullen could clearly implement his system faster than Leach due to adjusting the scheme to the players. Absent a $100 mil QB , this system gives us a much greater chance of competing for SEC West though due to how it neutralizes the DL.

So, if you've been Ok with it taking time for Leach to get the WRs & QB up to speed, then this offense is better. If you needed to win day 1, then Mullen would be a better option

We're in a division with Alabama... we ain't winning this conference. We had a shot with mullen. Let's see if leach can do that. He hasn't done it in easier conferences

Coach34
10-08-2021, 10:07 AM
I now fully expect our WRs to catch the ball. Unlike previous years when we only completed 50% of our passes. Think about that for a second. We used to run 50% and pass 50%, but only half of those passes were caught. Now we're successful passing 75% of the time which is most of our plays. .

In our worst year we never only completed 50% of our passes. We were at 52% in 2018 under JoVester. We were usually high 50's to 60 under Mullen. Even Relf was at 59% in 2010. And he didnt have to throw to a RB every 3rd play to do it

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:09 AM
We're in a division with Alabama... we ain't winning this conference. We had a shot with mullen. Let's see if leach can do that. He hasn't done it in easier conferences

Absent a $100 mil QB, we had no chance with Mullen.

Give Leach a Dak type QB & we'd be just as good if not better due to how this offense neuters the defense & takes away almost all advantage on the DL

msstate7
10-08-2021, 10:11 AM

Give Leach a Dak type QB & we'd be just as good if not better due to how this offense neuters the defense & takes away almost all advantage on the DL

Who recruited and developed that qb?

ETA... did dak even have a qb offer out of HS?

Coach34
10-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Mullen's problem was WR/OL recruiting. We had the WR's to beat Bama in 2014 and 2015. 2014 was on the road but in 2015 our OL was inexperienced and not very good. We should have beat Bama in 2017 but our lack of WR's hurt. Mullen didnt put one legit WR in the NFL while at State. The only position he didnt put a starter in the NFL.

BayouDawg
10-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Mullen's problem was WR/OL recruiting. We had the WR's to beat Bama in 2014 and 2015. 2014 was on the road but in 2015 our OL was inexperienced and not very good. We should have beat Bama in 2017 but our lack of WR's hurt. Mullen didnt put one legit WR in the NFL while at State. The only position he didnt put a starter in the NFL.

This is very accurate. If we had gotten some elite receivers we would have been dangerous under Mullen. His WR talent at Florida seems to be declining as well relative to Florida standards.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:18 AM

I agree but he wasn't ever going to recruit WRs with that offense to MSU.

This offense can recruit WRs, which is the only way to beat Bama

basedog
10-08-2021, 10:19 AM

"Give Leach a Dak type QB & we'd be just as good if not better due to how this offense neuters the defense & takes away almost all advantage on the DL"

I'd imagine Dak would strive under any system Gun. DM was a very good Coach for Msu, the verdict like so many including myself, says it's a wait and see, time will tell the story.

Coach34
10-08-2021, 10:24 AM
I agree but he wasn't ever going to recruit WRs with that offense to MSU.

This offense can recruit WRs, which is the only way to beat Bama

There is no doubt this offense will recruit WR's. But Mullen's problem with WR's wasnt his offense. It was about approach and lack of commitment to recruiting. The Country Club was terrible at recruiting divas- which is what 95% of WR's are.

You dont joke with WR recruits about "teaching them how to block". They dont want to hear that BS

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2021, 10:38 AM
"Give Leach a Dak type QB & we'd be just as good if not better due to how this offense neuters the defense & takes away almost all advantage on the DL"

I'd imagine Dak would strive under any system Gun. DM was a very good Coach for Msu, the verdict like so many including myself, says it's a wait and see, time will tell the story.

I loved Mullen. Great coach for MSU.

To my eye, we can move the ball easier & more consistently against blue bloods with this offense than *******.

Percho
10-08-2021, 01:02 PM
There is no doubt this offense will recruit WR's. But Mullen's problem with WR's wasnt his offense. It was about approach and lack of commitment to recruiting. The Country Club was terrible at recruiting divas- which is what 95% of WR's are.

You dont joke with WR recruits about "teaching them how to block". They dont want to hear that BS

How many NFL WR's do not block?

Coach34
10-08-2021, 02:03 PM
How many NFL WR's do not block?

How many NFL WR's are recruited, asskissed, and begged before being drafted?

Did you tell your wife how much she was going to cook, wash, and clean when you proposed to her?

Dak Holliday
10-08-2021, 10:25 PM
Like button 👆🏼

Todd4State
10-08-2021, 11:51 PM

I agree 110% with this. I think his loyalty affected his judgement too. 2015 we had Holloway up the middle, Zach Jackson starting at OLB and Kivon Coman starting at safety. And Aeris and future NFL All-Pro JT Gray on the bench.