PDA

View Full Version : Any Fall Baseball News?

AlSwearengen
09-30-2021, 07:29 PM
Gautreau sounded pretty positive in his interview with Bart Gregory but he didn?t really mention anyone in particular other than general statements about Tanner, James, and K. Clark?s talent, as well as Hancock?s hitting ability.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2021, 10:47 PM
Sims, Preston Johnson, and Fristoe resting their arms so far this fall. We have a scrimmage with Samford coming up on Saturday.

Cade Smith is looking the part of a Saturday starter. Sunday up for grabs.

Walling struggling with command. Corder hurt. Jess Davis struggling with the bat so far. RJ Yeager and Davis Meche swinging a good bat. Tanner, Hancock, Kam James all swinging it well.

Battle in CF between Davis and Skinner. Davis is a gold glover. Skinner can cover ground. 1 of those 2 need to step up at the plate, but it's only been 7 scrimmages. Cumbest hasn't played fall ball yet. Need another outfielder to step up. Clark playing RF.

Hunter Hines is swinging a good bat. Got a good chance to DH or play 1B this year.

Todd4State
09-30-2021, 10:54 PM
Sims, Preston Johnson, and Fristoe resting their arms so far this fall. We have a scrimmage with Samford coming up on Saturday.

Cade Smith is looking the part of a Saturday starter. Sunday up for grabs.

Walling struggling with command. Corder hurt. Jess Davis struggling with the bat so far. RJ Yeager and Davis Meche swinging a good bat. Tanner, Hancock, Kam James all swinging it well.

Battle in CF between Davis and Skinner. Davis is a gold glover. Skinner can cover ground. 1 of those 2 need to step up at the plate, but it's only been 7 scrimmages. Cumbest hasn't played fall ball yet. Need another outfielder to step up. Clark playing RF.

Hunter Hines is swinging a good bat. Got a good chance to DH or play 1B this year.

That's a good synopsis. I think Hines takes over at first base with Hancock moving to DH and if the season started today Meche would start at second.

The Federalist Engineer
10-01-2021, 01:33 AM
That's a good synopsis. I think Hines takes over at first base with Hancock moving to DH and if the season started today Meche would start at second.

Hey Todd good to know about Hines. Any insights on Alford, Downs, and Higgins?

confucius say
10-01-2021, 07:05 AM
The true freshman pitcher from Louisiana whose name I can't remember has looked good from what I was told.

VandelayIndustries
10-01-2021, 07:43 AM
Jack Walker from Barbe HS, that’s good to hear

Saltydog
10-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Davis = Willie Mayes Hayes.......Runs like Mayes, hits like shit.......Hearing really good things on RJ Yeager......LT has been hammering the ball.......

Coach34
10-01-2021, 08:20 AM
Cumbest had surgery so he probably wont be seen in the Fall depending on his rehab

dawgman
10-01-2021, 08:27 AM
"We have a scrimmage with Samford coming up on Saturday."

Samford taking advantage of out National Championship with a $10 a head admission.

Coach34
10-01-2021, 08:28 AM
Jack Walker from Barbe HS, that’s good to hear

alot of people think he will log some innings this Spring. Just have to find his role

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2021, 08:43 AM
alot of people think he will log some innings this Spring. Just have to find his role

Hearing he looks like a future Friday night guy.

Hearing Walling is struggling with command but he's only thrown a couple times. It'll come.

Homedawg
10-01-2021, 08:46 AM
Hearing he looks like a future Friday night guy.

Hearing Walling is struggling with command but he's only thrown a couple times. It'll come.

That's what has always held him back. If he had command he wouldn't be here.

confucius say
10-01-2021, 10:51 AM

I think he can compete for the Sunday spot.

trob115
10-01-2021, 01:37 PM
Walker throws a whiffle ball, pun intended. He has great swing and miss stuff.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Walker throws a whiffle ball, pun intended. He has great swing and miss stuff.

Yeah I've seen him throw a few times in some tournaments and the kid has some great stuff. As you said he misses a lot of bats and I love that. He may make the rotation but I believe they'll start him as a long guy, but he will definetly be in the rotation at some point.

Todd4State
10-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Hey Todd good to know about Hines. Any insights on Alford, Downs, and Higgins?

I don't expect any of those three to crack the starting lineup this year but they will be good players in time. Higgins is a bit more raw than the other two.

Todd4State
10-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Yeah I've seen him throw a few times in some tournaments and the kid has some great stuff. As you said he misses a lot of bats and I love that. He may make the rotation but I believe they'll start him as a long guy, but he will definetly be in the rotation at some point.

I think he may be the midweek guy. Really depends on Walling and Fristoe to me. I think Sims and Cade Smith are weekend guys right now. If neither Fristoe nor Walling lock downs a weekend spot there is a decent chance Walker gets it.

LSU is going to be kicking themselves for letting Walker go.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2021, 06:54 PM
I think he may be the midweek guy. Really depends on Walling and Fristoe to me. I think Sims and Cade Smith are weekend guys right now. If neither Fristoe nor Walling lock downs a weekend spot there is a decent chance Walker gets it.

I'm expecting Walker to be really good. He has more command and is more polished than fristoe and walling.

AlSwearengen
10-01-2021, 07:20 PM

Did LSU pass on Walker? Maybe I’m getting my pitchers mixed up, but I thought he was the top pitcher in the state and the only negative with him was TJ surgery and that is almost a positive anymore. Get it out of the way before you get to college or the pros.

OLJWales
10-01-2021, 07:28 PM
So awesome seeing threads like this. Thanks Gentlemen.

AlSwearengen
10-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Just went and looked Walker up. Average size and doesn’t throw mid 90’s so LSU may have passed on him. **** them anyway.

There are some good home plate POV videos of him pitching. He throws wiffle balls that move both ways and it looks like he tunnels them pretty well.
Love those pitchers that tunnel their pitches.

ZedFedder
10-01-2021, 07:58 PM
Just went and looked Walker up. Average size and doesn’t throw mid 90’s so LSU may have passed on him. **** them anyway.

There are some good home plate POV videos of him pitching. He throws wiffle balls that move both ways and it looks like he tunnels them pretty well.
Love those pitchers that tunnel their pitches.

I’m thinking Walker might make a Pitching Ninja Twitter mention.

The Federalist Engineer
10-01-2021, 09:27 PM
Corder interesting player, evidently injured presently - Madison kid

This kid seems to be a natural hitter. 367 in Summer League and hit 458 at Hinds. Also has 3 years of eligibility.

Hit 100 points better than the next best hitter on his JC team. 458, Is that Good?

Is he Brett Pirtle 2.0?

OLJWales
10-01-2021, 09:47 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/nfl-dak-prescott-college-world-series-baseball-mississippi-state-world-champions/

Dak locker room baseball STATE NATTY

SilentSteel16
10-01-2021, 10:44 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/nfl-dak-prescott-college-world-series-baseball-mississippi-state-world-champions/

Dak locker room baseball STATE NATTY

We have had such a privilege watching players such as Dak, Vivica, Big T and The Mayor. I know we all give crap to a lot of players but man the past decade we have had some special brand building players. They are such a good symbol of why MSU is the real flagship for Mississippi sports.

They have been nothing short of exceptional as alumni.

OLJWales
10-01-2021, 11:05 PM
Screw it. Wuz gonna do the better one on youtube but I suck at this on phone and not laptop.

Drinkin can cause onion choppin watchin DAK DO DAT

HoopsDawg
10-01-2021, 11:35 PM

If the season started today, Stone Simmons would be the Sunday guy. Remember, he was the Friday night guy for Furman before he transferred.

The Federalist Engineer
10-02-2021, 07:27 AM
If the season started today, Stone Simmons would be the Sunday guy. Remember, he was the Friday night guy for Furman before he transferred.

Who starts is a dynamic thing, especially Sunday. Could be Simmons, Walling, Fristoe, or Tepper in February and Finally exclusively Tepper by July.

I think we get C Smith, Fristoe, and Tepper when it is all said and done.

But you have Walling, B Smith, and Simmons as really good challengers and options. Tullar is talented and possible also.

FISHDAWG
10-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Cumbest had surgery so he probably wont be seen in the Fall depending on his rehab

Is this the reason we aren't seeing him on the football field or has he made the decision to go straight baseball?

TNDawg35
10-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Is this the reason we aren't seeing him on the football field or has he made the decision to go straight baseball?

He is straight baseball now.

ZedFedder
10-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Speaking of baseball, we got a commit from Ernie Day. He is a JUCO out of Illinois I believe. Said he touched 95 and slider is at 2500 RPMs.

Homedawg
10-02-2021, 10:45 AM

I'll be shocked if Yeager doesn't start at second. Meche might get some opportunities. But Yeager is the guy.

BeardoMSU
10-02-2021, 10:47 AM
With Sims to friday nights, who will fill his role from last year? Or will it be closer by committee?

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 10:49 AM
I'll be shocked if Yeager doesn't start at second. Meche might get some opportunities. But Yeager is the guy.

Agreed it's gonna be Yeager and he's gonna be pretty good.

Coach34
10-02-2021, 10:55 AM
With Sims to friday nights, who will fill his role from last year?

I wonder about that myself. Johnson could get a shot at it. Got to find out who else has the killer instinct in this year's group

HoopsDawg
10-02-2021, 11:40 AM
With Sims to friday nights, who will fill his role from last year? Or will it be closer by committee?

Going to be situational/committee:

But could look something like this....

Friday: Sims for 6, Preston Johnson for 3.
Saturday: Cade Smith for 6, Hunt for 1 or 2, Stinnett for 1 or 2
Sunday: Simmons, followed by Fristoe, Tepper, Brandon Smith and Maybe Johnson again.

Those are the top 9 guys with Walling, Tullar, and Auger having chances to contribute with good offseasons. I think Jack Walker will get some midweek work.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 11:41 AM
I wonder about that myself. Johnson could get a shot at it. Got to find out who else has the killer instinct in this year's group

I don't think Johnson has the stuff or talent. Need Wallling, Hunt, or Stinnett to step up.

Coach34
10-02-2021, 11:47 AM
I don't think Johnson has the stuff or talent. Need Wallling, Hunt, or Stinnett to step up.

I dont think Stinnett has the stones to close. You know mentality goes a long way in that job.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 11:51 AM

I don't know Johnson got a ton of big outs last year against some elite teams and hitters and he's got ice water in his veins and big stones. He definitely has the mentality to close.

basedog
10-02-2021, 12:29 PM
I don't know Johnson got a ton of big outs last year against some elite teams and hitters and he's got ice water in his veins and big stones. He definitely has the mentality to close.

I like Johnson also. I think Stinnett will or should be improved. I'm mixed about Sims starting although he would be great.

Homedawg
10-02-2021, 01:44 PM

The plan is to make him a starter

Offshore Dawg
10-02-2021, 02:00 PM

Sims has earned that chance.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 02:17 PM
I dont think Stinnett has the stones to close. You know mentality goes a long way in that job.

Agree

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 02:19 PM

He just doesn't have the stuff IMO. Need better on the backend

I would count out Fristoe either. If we find other starters, he could be 98 with a slider back there.

BeardoMSU
10-02-2021, 02:31 PM

I know that, hence the "move to Friday night" part. I was just asking who would fill the closer role now.

AlSwearengen
10-02-2021, 02:55 PM
I don’t see Johnson as a closer. How has Tepper looked so far? He has good stuff but command was not quite there last year, I believe.

If Sims starts all year and we don’t find a reliable closer, move Sims back to closer for the post season. He will have had the season to prove himself to scouts and figuring out the front end of the game will be easier than trying to close by committee.

trob115
10-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Tepper and Tullar are both vying for the Sunday starter spot. I think both guys are going to have really big years for us.

Cade Smith has Saturday locked up and looks to be taking really big strides with the off speed stuff. I'm sure basedog can elaborate more.

As far as closers go, Walker is going to be given a chance. Fox is really high on him.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Tepper and Tullar are both vying for the Sunday starter spot. I think both guys are going to have really big years for us.

Cade Smith has Saturday locked up and looks to be taking really big strides with the off speed stuff. I'm sure basedog can elaborate more.

As far as closers go, Walker is going to be given a chance. Fox is really high on him.

I don't see either of those starting on Sunday.

Fristoe quit? LOL. Why not mention him?

Walling will be good. Give it time. He's better than both Tepper & Tullar, who I don't think will pitch much

trob115
10-02-2021, 04:41 PM
Fristoe has major major issues between the ears. He's working with a psychologist but I wouldn't expect him to contribute too much early on. He hasn't thrown a pitch since arriving back on campus

basedog
10-02-2021, 05:09 PM

Unfortunately I want be making any post or comments concerning Cade. It's a family issue.
I will say this last thing, he has always been a strike thrower and can and will throw strikes pretty consist with his breaking stuff. He is a great kid!!! Just saying.

Coach34
10-02-2021, 05:09 PM
I would count out Fristoe either. If we find other starters, he could be 98 with a slider back there.

I’ve thought about this as well. He certainly has the mentality to be that guy also. If he progresses as he should- could see him taking that job. I think we have the starters to allow it

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:12 PM
He just doesn't have the stuff IMO. Need better on the backend

Naw he got us out of some high leverage situations a ton last year. Yeah he doesn't have the natural stuff of some our other guys but he's got 2 nasty pitches and he has bulldog mentality. I'm not saying he will
Be this closer I'm saying I think he could do a very good job.

ETA I've watched Will Smith close for the Braves all year with some of the worst stuff in baseball lol

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:15 PM
Naw he got us out of some high leverage situations a ton last year. Yeah he doesn't have the natural stuff of some our other guys but he's got 2 nasty pitches and he has bulldog mentality. I'm not saying he will
Be this closer I'm saying I think he could do a very good job.

ETA I've watched Will Smith close for the Braves all year with some of the worst stuff in baseball lol

Could see him being the closer early while someone else emerges. I'd be scared to death to go into regionals & the CWS with him as our closer

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:20 PM
Could see him being the closer early while someone else emerges. I'd be scared to death to go into regionals & the CWS with him as our closer

I think Landon spoiled us. Do you not remember some of the big innings Preston put in for us in the regionals and cws? I would feel very confident with him out there. I mean sure would love somebody throwing 96-98 obviously.

Homedawg
10-02-2021, 05:25 PM
I know that, hence the "move to Friday night" part. I was just asking who would fill the closer role now.

My bad

Homedawg
10-02-2021, 05:26 PM
I don't see either of those starting on Sunday.

Fristoe quit? LOL. Why not mention him?

Walling will be good. Give it time. He's better than both Tepper & Tullar, who I don't think will pitch much

Tepper has really good stuff. And you've never seen walking pitch. .... good grief.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:28 PM
Tepper has really good stuff. And you've never seen walking pitch. .... good grief.

Tepper has nasty nasty stuff. Love watching him pitch, he's got electric stuff. Needs more command but he could be a great one!

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:35 PM

I've seen both. Walling is significantly better when he's right

AlSwearengen
10-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Tepper has nasty nasty stuff. Love watching him pitch, he's got electric stuff. Needs more command but he could be a great one!

Yeah, Tepper was throwing mid 90’s with a nasty breaking ball. Basedog or Commerce or anyone else know why he was getting hit last year? Does his fastball lack spin/movement or was he letting the ball get out over the plate (command)?

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Tepper was throwing mid 90?s with a nasty breaking ball. Basedog or Commerce or anyone else know why he was getting hit last year? Does his fastball lack spin/movement or was he letting the ball get out over the plate (command)?

He also has a nasty change up. Mikeys problem was command. If he gets command down with his stuff he's gonna be tough. Imo

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:41 PM
He also has a nasty change up. Mikeys problem was command. If he gets command down with his stuff he's gonna be tough. Imo

Command will always be his issue due to his delivery. He's not a guy

Homedawg
10-02-2021, 05:43 PM

Yet you are saying walling will be better and he's always had command issues. You are so bi polar.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:45 PM

Yeah that's your opinion. Also walling has some pretty good command issues of his own. I'm not gonna get a long discussion with you but let's see how it plays out.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Yet you are saying walling will be better and he's always had command issues. You are so bi polar.

This lol

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:46 PM

Walling is much better when he's right.

Walling only walked 3.4/9 last year in 69.2 IP. Not sure where this narrative of him having control or command issues comes from.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:47 PM
This lol

Really Commerce? Really?

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:48 PM
Really Commerce? Really?

I still love ya man, even when we don't agree.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2021, 05:49 PM
I still love ya man, even when we don't agree.

What don't we agree on?

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 05:51 PM
What don't we agree on?

Well let's see just in this thread, Preston Johnson, Tepper. You do have a lot of good takes but you can go from one extreme to the other sometimes and that's ok, we all have our thoughts and opinions.

basedog
10-02-2021, 06:02 PM

I agree. Main thing is keeping the ball OFF the middle of the plate.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 06:04 PM
I agree. Main thing is keeping the ball OFF the middle of the plate.

Yep. Command doesn't just mean walking people it includes getting behind in counts and having to throw balls right down the middle or just missing spots and that's when you get hit no matter how great your velo is.

basedog
10-02-2021, 06:30 PM
Yep. Command doesn't just mean walking people it includes getting behind in counts and having to throw balls right down the middle or just missing spots and that's when you get hit no matter how great your velo is.

That was his biggest problem. He has good stuff, but many times too good. LOL.