PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Our Defense Getting A Pass?

confucius say
09-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Dead last in SEC in pass defense. Despite 2 nfl corners.
Bottom half in yards per game.
12th in points per game. Even if you take away the pick 6, fumble 6, and punt return TD they are still 9th (same as our offense, as it is 9th in scoring offense).

Our offense is not good but at least it's improved since last year. Our defense is the same at best. Arguably its worse.

Maverick91
09-27-2021, 02:20 PM
I think they get the pass because we are pretty solid on run defense and we seem more consistent in our play.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 02:24 PM
We def are consistent in stopping the run.
We are equally consistent in being horrible against the pass.

preachermatt83
09-27-2021, 02:24 PM
12th in points per game. Even if you take away the pick 6, fumble 6, and punt return TD they are still 9th (same as our offense, as it is 9th in scoring offense).

Our offense is not good but at least it's improved since last year. Our defense is the same at best. Arguably its worse.

Hear here!!

Saltydog
09-27-2021, 02:25 PM
Really, the only game our defense played that wasn't halfway respectable was La Tech but yeah, they have got to play better and quit giving up the big plays. Unfortunatley that's the achilles of the type of system we run.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 02:29 PM
The safety play is what is keeping this defense from being really good. DL has been good, lbs and corners but safeties have been very much responsible on every one of those big plays. Also, our defense has been given some really short fields because of shanked punts, turnover, etc. There is definitely room for improvement but they've been solid and kept us in these game for long stretches when the offense has sputtered. Need more consistency from the safetys.

NCDawg
09-27-2021, 02:32 PM

I agree. Seems as if we're giving up big plays every game. We stop the run pretty well most of the time, but our DB's are getting beat too often. NC State had 2 guys wide open for TD's but fortunately the QB overthrew them.

msugolf
09-27-2021, 02:34 PM
One reason is because we lack speed at DE and dont really have a pass rusher. We have to gamble and blitz a lot with safeties leaving our secondary exposed if they dont get to the qb.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 02:37 PM
The safety play is what is keeping this defense from being really good. DL has been good, lbs and corners but safeties have been very much responsible on every one of those big plays. Also, our defense has been given some really short fields because of shanked punts, turnover, etc. There is definitely room for improvement but they've been solid and kept us in these game for long stretches when the offense has sputtered. Need more consistency from the safetys.

We're also next to last in the league in sacks, ahead of only Vanderbilt. We haven't rushed the passer well, and when we do we don't get the sack.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 02:38 PM
We're also next to last in the league in sacks, ahead of only Vanderbilt. We haven't rushed the passer well, and when we do we don't get the sack.

Agreed. Pass rush hasn't been great either.

NCDawg
09-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Agreed. Pass rush hasn't been great either.

We had a wide open shot at the LSU QB on their first series, 3rd down also, and we totally miss him-run right by him. He comes up in the pocket a little a throws a TD pass, which puts them ahead 7-0. Very crucial play.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Well our defense/special teams has pretty much won 2/3 of the games during Leach's tenure. They have so much pressure to keep us in the games while our offenses go through these qtr(s) long lulls. They give up 1 too many big plays but they also keep us in every game.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 03:07 PM
We had a wide open shot at the LSU QB on their first series, 3rd down also, and we totally miss him-run right by him. He comes up in the pocket a little a throws a TD pass, which puts them ahead 7-0. Very crucial play.

It drives me nuts when I see pass rushers run by the qb. Just can't do that, you have to at least stay even with him so he can't step up. Once you run past the qb he has nothing but a clear field of vision. Drives me nuts.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Well our defense/special teams has pretty much won 2/3 of the games during Leach's tenure. They have so much pressure to keep us in the games while our offenses go through these qtr(s) long lulls. They give up 1 too many big plays but they also keep us in every game.

That's true. I guess it is a matter of expectation.

I knew the offense was still a work in progress and expected it to make a jump this year. It has so far, from averaging 20 per game to 28.3 right now. I expect it will end up around 26. A TD better.

But I didn't expect the defense to regress. Or at best, stay the same. Same exact issue we had last year still plagues us.

Maverick91
09-27-2021, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I haven't been very impressed with Green as of yet at the safety position. I am hoping that is just him learn the position as he was a CB.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2021, 04:01 PM
That's true. I guess it is a matter of expectation.

I knew the offense was still a work in progress and expected it to make a jump this year. It has so far, from averaging 20 per game to 28.3 right now. I expect it will end up around 26. A TD better.

But I didn't expect the defense to regress. Or at best, stay the same. Same exact issue we had last year still plagues us.

We have 1 player on our team who would be categorized as a pass rusher & that's De'monte Russell who just got his 1st action Saturday. The only other DL who fits that mold is Jordan Davis. So with a lack of natural pass rushers we have to generate pressure & when you do you leave Safeties on an island. Our safeties are solid but not great cover guys. Also Forbes is a playmaker he's not a lockdown CB yet. So you put all that together & we give up some big plays. We're great against the run & you're not going to March up & down the field on us. It also doesn't help that offense & special teams are giving up points on the regular too.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 04:03 PM
We have 1 player on our team who would be categorized as a pass rusher & that's De'monte Russell who just got his 1st action Saturday. The only other DL who fits that mold is Jordan Davis. So with a lack of natural pass rushers we have to generate pressure & when you do you leave Safeties on an island. Our safeties are solid but not great cover guys. Also Forbes is a playmaker he's not a lockdown CB yet. So you put all that together & we give up some big plays. We're great against the run & you're not going to March up & down the field on us. It also doesn't help that offense & special teams are giving up points on the regular too.

Great assessment.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 04:16 PM

I agree with the DL lacking pass rushers. No question. Losing Davis is huge, and We're getting little from charlton. But wheat and brule, I expected more out of. Both come often, but Neither win their 1v1 matchup often. DL or LB, Nobody can consistently win their 1v1 right now.

But my bigger point is, why are we excusing the poor defensive play and chalking it up to personnel, but not doing the same for the offense? Arnett has been doing the same thing for 15 games and giving up the same big play after big play without adjusting.

R2Dawg
09-27-2021, 05:25 PM

They have things to improve and folks have made the comments about such. No one has got a pass as you suggest. Our D has given up a few big plays a game which needs to improve. However, the big rock in the jar is the O that makes 10 times more negative plays than the D.

Also the O puts the D in bad spots all the time.

Yall keep trying to prove a double standard but their isn't one. If the D performs like the O, you'll see the same criticism. Go back to Sirmon D in 16 and you'll find me and others just as critical. Same standard, give it up. O has a long way to go. D is good enough to win.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 05:40 PM
That's factually not true. For every negative thread about our defense, there are a dozen about offense (mostly warranted) despite that our defense has underachieved.

R2Dawg
09-27-2021, 05:45 PM
That's factually not true. For every negative thread about our defense, there are a dozen about offense (mostly warranted) despite that our defense has underachieved.

That is because there is alot more wrong with the O. If D was as bad as O, you'd see the script flipped. Quit trying to make the rest of the fanbase stupid. Go back and look at 2016 threads and ypu'll see the same level of criticism about the D which is about the same level of performance by the air raid so far.

As Gump says......

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2021, 05:52 PM

A lot of that is because before Saturday we had a top 25-30 defense (26th). That's where most predicted we'd be. We had a bad game now we're 43rd. I suspect we have a good game Saturday & jump back up to around 30 or so. So for the most part the defense has been what we thought it would be. Good to very good but not great or elite because we don't have elite defensive talent.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 06:13 PM
A lot of that is because before Saturday we had a top 25-30 defense (26th). That's where most predicted we'd be. We had a bad game now we're 43rd. I suspect we have a good game Saturday & jump back up to around 30 or so. So for the most part the defense has been what we thought it would be. Good to very good but not great or elite because we don't have elite defensive talent.

Remember before last season how a lot of folks were saying our defense wouldn't even break the top 50?

confucius say
09-27-2021, 06:53 PM
That is because there is alot more wrong with the O. If D was as bad as O, you'd see the script flipped. Quit trying to make the rest of the fanbase stupid. Go back and look at 2016 threads and ypu'll see the same level of criticism about the D which is about the same level of performance by the air raid so far.

As Gump says......

Wait wait wait. You think our 2021 offense is on the same level as our 2016 defense? I guess that is the issue then, just a fundamental misunderstanding of where are our offense is compared to the league. Our 2016 defense was dead last or next to last in points allowed and yards allowed. Historically bad.
Our offense right now is 9th in yards and 11th in points (our defense is 8th in yards allowed and 12th in points allowed-9th if you take away offensive TD).

Our defense has been marginally better than our offense compared with to the league. Ironically, it's the explosives that are killing both.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 07:03 PM

I expected them to be a top 20-25 defense and they are 43. I expected the offense to improve from 20 points a game to a TD more. And it has (and then some at this point, but I expect to drop off some). I guess my expectations were different than most.

R2Dawg
09-27-2021, 07:25 PM
I expected them to be a top 20-25 defense and they are 43. I expected the offense to improve from 20 points a game to a TD more. And it has (and then some at this point, but I expect to drop off some). I guess my expectations were different than most.

Again, watch the games. Our D ain't giving up all the other team's points. Nearly 7 a game the O is directly giving the other team.

A pressing D is vulnerable to the big play, it is going to happen. The play on LSU that killed us was a blown play by a 2nd team player who probably shouldn't be in the game.

The D ain't the issue on this year's team.

Our O is near last in SEC just like the 16 D, yep they are about the same.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2021, 07:54 PM

Going into last week the defense was meeting your expectations. They had a bad game. So through 4 games has the offense met your expectations? Consider the 4 opponents this year when comparing #'s to last year.

BuckyIsAB****
09-27-2021, 08:08 PM
Green is a LB playing safety. We dont have many cover guys at that spot. They are thumpers and I like that. And if you cant cover you might as well bring the funk.

I just dont really like how we play vs trips its how LSU scored their first TD I knew it was 6 from when we lined up. We dont give them a lot of help and Peters is not a great cover safety either, he let 3 across his face and that was it.

I like Arnett and he has undoubtedly done a great job but he is still learning and growing. He does a great job of giving you a lot of different stuff to look at and we usually tackle well. We had 1 or 2 times Saturday where we tackled too high but other than that we are usually good there.

BuckyIsAB****
09-27-2021, 08:10 PM
The safeties cost us 2 tds, bit on a split zone glance and it they hit it, and eyes in the backfield on the other out of what looked like cover 2 to me and LSU schemed it up.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2021, 08:13 PM
The safeties cost us 2 tds, bit on a split zone glance and it they hit it, and eyes in the backfield on the other out of what looked like cover 2 to me and LSU schemed it up.

Yeah the safety play has been my biggest area if concern.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 09:55 PM
Again, watch the games. Our D ain't giving up all the other team's points. Nearly 7 a game the O is directly giving the other team.

A pressing D is vulnerable to the big play, it is going to happen. The play on LSU that killed us was a blown play by a 2nd team player who probably shouldn't be in the game.

The D ain't the issue on this year's team.

Our O is near last in SEC just like the 16 D, yep they are about the same.

1. Our offense has give up 14, thats 3.5 a game. Take that away and our defense is still 11th in the sec giving up 22.3 per game.
2. That coverage bust against LSU had nothing to do with being a pressing D. We rushed 3 and played cover 3 behind it.
3. The defense has played meh and has gotten no better since the end of last year. It was expected to be a top 5 sec defense and is 12th, 11th if you take away the points given up by the offense.

confucius say
09-27-2021, 10:00 PM
Going into last week the defense was meeting your expectations. They had a bad game. So through 4 games has the offense met your expectations? Consider the 4 opponents this year when comparing #'s to last year.

The offense is averaging 28.3 a game. I would have expected 31-34 at this point given the teams we've played. I give it a C at this point.

The defense is giving 25.8, 22.3 if you take away the 14 points the offense has given up. I would have expected under 20 at this point given the offenses we played (none of which have been good except Memphis) and the fact that our offense has dominated time of possession. I give it a B- at this point.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-27-2021, 10:27 PM
The offense is averaging 28.3 a game. I would have expected 31-34 at this point given the teams we've played. I give it a C at this point.

The defense is giving 25.8, 22.3 if you take away the 14 points the offense has given up. I would have expected under 20 at this point given the offenses we played (none of which have been good except Memphis) and the fact that our offense has dominated time of possession. I give it a B- at this point.

That's fair. The TOP stat is misleading because we don't have any explosive plays so our drives have to be 8-12 plays to score.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 03:23 AM

Bolchevism throws another fine rep into the collective dumpster fire of what could have been.

Coach34
09-28-2021, 09:07 AM
That's fair. The TOP stat is misleading because we don't have any explosive plays so our drives have to be 8-12 plays to score.

It's a good thing we are dominating TOP with our Wishbone 2020 offense because it gives the other offenses less plays. We ran 83 plays at Memphis to their 53 and ran 88 plays vs LSU to their 54. I expect that trend to continue because we will keep getting the Prevent and wont get explosive plays- but our RB's will catch about 150 passes (they are on pace to catch about 170) combined if one of them doesnt get killed.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 09:54 AM
It's a good thing we are dominating TOP with our Wishbone 2020 offense because it gives the other offenses less plays. We ran 83 plays at Memphis to their 53 and ran 88 plays vs LSU to their 54. I expect that trend to continue because we will keep getting the Prevent and wont get explosive plays- but our RB's will catch about 150 passes (they are on pace to catch about 170) combined if one of them doesnt get killed.

It really does limit our defense's exposure. Only having to defend 50-60 plays a game should help. Just stop giving up multiple explosives per game.

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2021, 10:41 AM

I'm kind of perplexed by the notion that ball control offenses are bad. When we were all about RTDFB, posters raved about how it kept opponents defenses on the field and ground them down 5-6 yards at a time. Our road-grader OL could take over in the 4th quarter and our defense would be relatively fresh. I've seen this for years on this board. We've been SEC top 5 in TOP all but 3 seasons since 2009. And running more plays is bad? I distinctly remember Moorhead getting the SloMo nickname because our offense was only running 60-65 plays a game on overage and being compared to Mullen's offenses that ran 75-80 plays a game. We also ran our RB's 200+ times a season and our QB's 150 times without worrying about the toll that takes - but all the sudden 2 RB's catching 70 passes each is too extreme?

I get that we aren't scoring and we aren't winning. I get that lack of explosive plays is bad. But, arguments like "ball control is bad" just hold no weight when we have been a ball-control RTDFB offense for our entire existence.

Maverick91
09-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Green is a LB playing safety. We dont have many cover guys at that spot. They are thumpers and I like that. And if you cant cover you might as well bring the funk.

I just dont really like how we play vs trips its how LSU scored their first TD I knew it was 6 from when we lined up. We dont give them a lot of help and Peters is not a great cover safety either, he let 3 across his face and that was it.

I like Arnett and he has undoubtedly done a great job but he is still learning and growing. He does a great job of giving you a lot of different stuff to look at and we usually tackle well. We had 1 or 2 times Saturday where we tackled too high but other than that we are usually good there.

Unless you don't breakdown to make a pivotal sack to keep LSU out of the end zone. lol

I get your point.

Maverick91
09-28-2021, 10:56 AM

Gosh if we only had some tempo. These D's against us would be DYING by the 4th quarter.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 11:02 AM
We have given up 13 TD.

2 have come from inside our red zone. NC state scored from the 4 and LSI from the 11.

The other 11 have been from turnovers or explosive plays. We've given up TDs of 72, 59, 24, 21, 25, 64, 58, and 41 yards. And then the punt return, pick 6, and fumble scoop and score.

The explosives for TDs are killing us.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 12:20 PM

thanks for showing sir. Socialism prevented REP. Post more.

Matt3467
09-28-2021, 01:11 PM
The time of possession in our games have been pretty lopsided in our favor so it's not like our D should be tired.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 02:01 PM

One other thing that I didn't realize, as you say our defense is 43. But our offense is 48. Not much difference yet the O gets 10 times the criticism as the D, despite the fact that IMO our D is supposed to be the better unit going into the year while the offense was still coming along.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-28-2021, 02:05 PM
One other thing that I didn't realize, as you say our defense is 43. But our offense is 48. Not much difference yet the O gets 10 times the criticism as the D, despite the fact that IMO our D is supposed to be the better unit going into the year while the offense was still coming along.

I think the biggest problem that fans have with our offense is we've moved the ball but hasn't scored like that. We've played 3 non conference games & a mediocre LSU team & we have scored like we should've. I think that's where the frustration for the offense comes in. Especially when we have an offensive genius as coach.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 02:09 PM
I think the biggest problem that fans have with our offense is we've moved the ball but hasn't scored like that. We've played 3 non conference games & a mediocre LSU team & we have scored like we should've. I think that's where the frustration for the offense comes in. Especially when we have an offensive genius as coach.

I agree. If we were just quit having empty possessions inside the opponents 25 that's work wonders.

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2021, 02:32 PM
I agree. If we were just quit having empty possessions inside the opponents 25 that's work wonders.

But even that is not entirely accurate. We have had 16 possessions inside the 20 and converted on 14 of them. That's good for 8th in the SEC and only 4 behind 2nd place.
Where we really stall out is between the MSU 40 and the opponents 30 - so we are out of FG range and unable to advance.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Yea the two empty possessions inside the LSU 25 (pick and missed fg) and the empty possession on first and goal at the Memphis 2 really stick out. Other than that, we've been ok.

sleepy dawg
09-28-2021, 03:24 PM
Just to be clear, we are 12th in scoring defense, and 7th in ypg on defense. While the bottom half part was technically correct, the dead last part was not.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 03:33 PM
Just to be clear, we are 12th in scoring defense, and 7th in ypg on defense. While the bottom half part was technically correct, the dead last part was not.

Right. I said dead last in pass defense.

But I'm showing us 8th in ypg, not 7th.

Commercecomet24
09-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Also I believe they are showing our defense giving up 25.8 a game when in fact we have given up 21 non-defensive points(14 on pick 6 and fumble and 7 on special teams) so our defense is actually only giving up 20.5 points a game which isn't bad at all.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 03:45 PM
Also I believe they are showing our defense giving up 25.8 a game when in fact we have given up 21 non-defensive points(14 on pick 6 and fumble and 7 on special teams) so our defense is actually only giving up 20.5 points a game which isn't bad at all.

That 20.5 would move us from 12th to 9th in scoring defense.

But you would also have to take off everybody else's points allowed on offense or special teams, and I'm not sure how many that would be.

Commercecomet24
09-28-2021, 03:49 PM
That 20.5 would move us from 12th to 9th in scoring defense.

But you would also have to take off everybody else's points allowed on offense or special teams, and I'm not sure how many that would be.

True, I just really wish they would adjust that to make it truly reflect defensive scoring. This method only shows how many points the team gives up in total.

Commercecomet24
09-28-2021, 03:50 PM
True, I just really wish they would adjust that to make it truly reflect defensive scoring. This method only shows how many points the team gives up in total.

ETA It's kinda like how they place sacks as yardage lost in rushing instead of like the NFL which places yardage lost on sacks in the passing yardage category where it should actually be.

confucius say
09-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Agreed. That's why I can buy the argument that ypg is a better stat to measure a defense.

If our D can just stop giving up huge explosives for TD twice a game they'd be really good.

Commercecomet24
09-28-2021, 03:57 PM
Agreed. That's why I can buy the argument that ypg is a better stat to measure a defense.

If our D can just stop giving up huge explosives for TD twice a game they'd be really good.

Agree on that!

maroonmania
09-28-2021, 10:43 PM

Yea, I feel like our O and our D are sort of polar opposites. We think our O has major issues because even though we eat up a lot of yardage we are not putting up that many points. Our D overall doesn't give up all that many yards but gives up a pretty large number of points because we give up big plays that go straight for TDs. To demonstrate this I looked up on teamrankings.com our statistics and so far our total offense average is 41st in the country but our scoring offense is only 59th. An even worse disparity though is that our total defense is 33rd in the country but our scoring defense is 65th (almost double).

So, in my view, even though our defense LOOKS better than our offense they have actually been no more effective than our offense where it counts which is on the scoreboard. Yes, I know some of the points we've given up have been directly off either the offense or special teams and that has been a factor that makes our points allowed a good bit worse. But still, while I know we don't even try to play bend but don't break defense, regardless we are breaking WAY too much and we have no defensive scores. Someone said that our defense had only played the one bad game against LA Tech. Well, I don't know how you can give up 3 TD passes of over 40 yards in a game to LSU and say your defense played well? And on top of that we gave up ANOTHER TD pass in the game where we had them pinned back at 3rd and goal from the 12. That is just not getting it done. Bottom line goal of a defense is to prevent scoring which we aren't doing very well.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 11:12 PM
Synopsis needed.

Jacknut
09-29-2021, 07:09 AM
We have given up 13 TD.

2 have come from inside our red zone. NC state scored from the 4 and LSI from the 11.

The other 11 have been from turnovers or explosive plays. We've given up TDs of 72, 59, 24, 21, 25, 64, 58, and 41 yards. And then the punt return, pick 6, and fumble scoop and score.

Thank you! Ain't just offense losing all these games.

sleepy dawg
09-29-2021, 08:01 AM
Right. I said dead last in pass defense.

But I'm showing us 8th in ypg, not 7th.

12th isn't last. There are 14 teams in the SEC. We're ahead of Missouri and Vandy.

Coach34
09-29-2021, 08:10 AM
12th isn't last. There are 14 teams in the SEC. We're ahead of Missouri and Vandy.

We are 14th in Pass D- dead last

http://cfbstats.com/2021/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category02/sort01.html

confucius say
09-29-2021, 09:11 AM

We are 14th in pass defense. Dead last.

The Break But Don't Bend defense is killing us.

Prediction? Pain.
09-29-2021, 09:17 AM
I think it's tough to gauge things using stats after four games, especially when only two of those involved Power 5 opponents. That said, the advanced stats are digging our defense way more than some of the traditional stats.

The FEI system, which is based on the results of non-garbage-time drives in FBS games -- % of available yards gained per drive, points per drive, % of drives that end in a TD or turnover, etc. -- and is adjusted for strength of schedule has our defense at 16th nationally (https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-dfei) after four games. Some of the stats that go into that are a little complicated, like drive value. (That considers where drives end then assigns a point value to the drive based upon how many points teams usually score when they get to that yard line on the field.) But some others are a little easier to grasp. Take TDs-per-drive. Right now, our defense has allowed TDs on 20% of our opponents' offensive drives. That's 39th nationally and 6th in the SEC. Likewise, we're allowing 1.67 points per drive, which is 37th nationally and 7th in the SEC.

Again, this is all early and our high ranking is due in part to a strength-of-schedule bump that we're getting for having played two top 40 Power 5 teams (LSU and NC State) and two ok-to-mediocre G5 teams. (For a good counterpoint, look at Arkansas' defense at 17th in these rankings. They've outperformed our D in every category but one -- opponent drives that end in a turnover -- but two of their opponents (Rice and Ga. Southern) are horrific, so they're weighing down the opponent adjustments.) I'll be surprised if we can keep up these kinds of drive-efficiency numbers throughout conference play so the ranking will undoubtedly drop. Though hopefully we're not too far off from where we'll end up. Our D finished last year ranked 38th in this system so it's not outlandish to hope for another Top 40 finish.

By the way, our offense is currently 57th (https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-ofei). High points included being 55th nationally in TDs-per-drive and 37th in % of drives that get at least one first down. The lowlight is being 96th in % of drives that end in a turnover. Last year our offense finished at a woeful 104th overall. I'm interested to see if this plays out in the same way that it did in Leach's first two years at WSU, where his offense was 100th in Year 1 and 62nd in Year 2.

Prediction? Pain.
09-29-2021, 09:26 AM
I'm kind of perplexed by the notion that ball control offenses are bad. When we were all about RTDFB, posters raved about how it kept opponents defenses on the field and ground them down 5-6 yards at a time. Our road-grader OL could take over in the 4th quarter and our defense would be relatively fresh. I've seen this for years on this board. We've been SEC top 5 in TOP all but 3 seasons since 2009. And running more plays is bad? I distinctly remember Moorhead getting the SloMo nickname because our offense was only running 60-65 plays a game on overage and being compared to Mullen's offenses that ran 75-80 plays a game. We also ran our RB's 200+ times a season and our QB's 150 times without worrying about the toll that takes - but all the sudden 2 RB's catching 70 passes each is too extreme?

I get that we aren't scoring and we aren't winning. I get that lack of explosive plays is bad. But, arguments like "ball control is bad" just hold no weight when we have been a ball-control RTDFB offense for our entire existence.

Solid point. And what Leach is doing with T.O.P. and opponents' plays per game is exactly what happened at WSU after his first two years. At or near the top of the PAC 12 every year in those categories. Now, whether that necessarily correlates with wins is a different question. Time of possession is great and all, but only if you're scoring, too.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2021, 09:42 AM
I think it's tough to gauge things using stats after four games, especially when only two of those involved Power 5 opponents. That said, the advanced stats are digging our defense way more than some of the traditional stats.

The FEI system, which is based on the results of non-garbage-time drives in FBS games -- % of available yards gained per drive, points per drive, % of drives that end in a TD or turnover, etc. -- and is adjusted for strength of schedule has our defense at 16th nationally (https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-dfei) after four games. Some of the stats that go into that are a little complicated, like drive value. (That considers where drives end then assigns a point value to the drive based upon how many points teams usually score when they get to that yard line on the field.) But some others are a little easier to grasp. Take TDs-per-drive. Right now, our defense has allowed TDs on 20% of our opponents' offensive drives. That's 39th nationally and 6th in the SEC. Likewise, we're allowing 1.67 points per drive, which is 37th nationally and 7th in the SEC.

Again, this is all early and our high ranking is due in part to a strength-of-schedule bump that we're getting for having played two top 40 Power 5 teams (LSU and NC State) and two ok-to-mediocre G5 teams. (For a good counterpoint, look at Arkansas' defense at 17th in these rankings. They've outperformed our D in every category but one -- opponent drives that end in a turnover -- but two of their opponents (Rice and Ga. Southern) are horrific, so they're weighing down the opponent adjustments.) I'll be surprised if we can keep up these kinds of drive-efficiency numbers throughout conference play so the ranking will undoubtedly drop. Though hopefully we're not too far off from where we'll end up. Our D finished last year ranked 38th in this system so it's not outlandish to hope for another Top 40 finish.

By the way, our offense is currently 57th (https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-ofei). High points included being 55th nationally in TDs-per-drive and 37th in % of drives that get at least one first down. The lowlight is being 96th in % of drives that end in a turnover. Last year our offense finished at a woeful 104th overall. I'm interested to see if this plays out in the same way that it did in Leach's first two years at WSU, where his offense was 100th in Year 1 and 62nd in Year 2.

You are without a doubt the best stats guy on here. You need to post more because you cut through all the subjectivity and surface stats. Always love your posts.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2021, 09:43 AM

Yeah kind of amazing isn't it? I mean this even goes back to JWS before Mullen and Jomo. Great post.

confucius say
09-29-2021, 10:03 AM

Really good stuff here. Please update where our defense and offense ranks in these going forward.

That's massive improvement thus far offensively. Just stop with the fumbles!

Prediction? Pain.
09-29-2021, 10:37 AM
We have given up 13 TD.

I've watched most of those big plays happen but seeing them all lumped together like that is pretty telling. Well done.

Also, contrast this with how well we're playing D in the red zone. Looking at FBS games only, we're 3rd in the SEC at opponents' TD % in the red zone behind only A&M and UGA. (UGA has allowed zero. Good lord, man.) But not just that, look at how many trips our opponents have had to the redzone -- in four games, our opponents have reached inside our 20 yard line only 6 times. That's 2nd in the SEC and 5th nationally, people.

Really good stuff here. Please update where our defense and offense ranks in these going forward.

That's massive improvement thus far offensively. Just stop with the fumbles!

Thanks, man. Will do.

Prediction? Pain.
09-29-2021, 10:39 AM
You are without a doubt the best stats guy on here. You need to post more because you cut through all the subjectivity and surface stats. Always love your posts.

Thanks, man. That pesky job thing I have is always getting in the way of my college football statistical rabbit holes. But I'm guessing my wife wouldn't react too well if she came home from work to find that I've retired to live my dream of being a professional message board research monkey.

Maverick91
09-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Thanks, man. That pesky job thing I have is always getting in the way of my college football statistical rabbit holes. But I'm guessing my wife wouldn't react too well if she came home from work to find that I've retired to live my dream of being a professional message board research monkey.

Those pesky bills, man, freaking bills.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2021, 10:50 AM

LOL, I understand completely. But you know if you retired I'm sure you could make a fortune in vCash on here with your statistical expertise! In all seriousness, always appreciate your analysis! Thanks!

sleepy dawg
09-30-2021, 09:13 AM
We are 14th in Pass D- dead last

http://cfbstats.com/2021/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category02/sort01.html

I see where the difference are now. CBS counts all games. NCAA doesn't count FCS games, so some other teams didn't get to count those towards their stats. If you take out FCS games, we are 12th in scoring defense, and 7th in ypg on defense.

sleepy dawg
09-30-2021, 09:41 AM
Not counting FCS, we're tied for 2nd in the SEC in turnovers gained with 7. Only Georgia has more. On the flip side Only Vandy and Kentucky have given up more turnovers on offense than us.

Also our offense has a .333 4th down conversion percentage while our D is .500 at stopping 4th downs.

These are important stats to factor in as well for obvious reasons, but this they also have a major impact on the flip side of the ball. If our Defense is getting the offense the ball more often, then the offense has more opportunities. If our offense is giving the ball away more, then our defense is being put in more difficult situations than they should be.

When looking at efficiency numbers our defense far outranks our offense. According to football outsiders, who compile multiple efficiency methods, our offense ranks 57th, just behind NC State and just before Texas AM, while our defense ranks 16th, just behind Texas AM and just ahead of Arkansas. I do expect these numbers to get a little worse as we start to play better opponents going forward, but pretty much all efficiency ratings have our defense as superior to our offense... That said, our special teams rank 100th in the country which is pretty pathetic.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2021
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalldef/2021
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overallst/2021

confucius say
09-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Our defense is no doubt superior to our offense. It still hasn't lived up to expectations or improved since last year though. It's really just the explosives for TDs that is killing it.

maroonmania
09-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Our defense is no doubt superior to our offense. It still hasn't lived up to expectations or improved since last year though. It's really just the explosives for TDs that is killing it.

Yea, unfortunately for us, TDs count the same number of points whether they are earned on a 12 play drive or a 2 play drive.

Lord McBuckethead
10-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Bingo. The last 4 games we lost were due to the offense giving the other team points. Whether we are driving and fumble, pick 6s, etc.

Jarius
10-01-2021, 09:14 AM

I believe on the Hadad and Faulk show this week they said our defense was 26th in the country in yards or scoring or something. I don’t really care enough to fact check them. Point being the large majority of our issues are on the offense going long stretches without scoring and Our special teams killing us. Our defense has given up 27, 7 (yea it was 14 but the last one was in garbage time and we were not playing our normal defense), 14, and 28 against LSU (but we gave them the ball on the first possession deep in our territory so they get a bit of a pass for that). We should be able to win with those stats.