PDA

View Full Version : In honor of Jack Cristil, great sayings Jack had in his career

R2Dawg
09-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Of course #1 was "Wrap it in Maroon and White" but others

""mass of humanity" when we plugged up the middle

"and he cannot go" when we stuffed a run

If anyone had done there research they should have filled up his segment with his sayings.

Thought this topic deserved its own thread. Others for those of you with better memory than I have.

Coach34
09-27-2021, 12:25 PM
"Blow the ***damn whistle"- Jack during a basketball at Kentucky when he thought the mic was off

parabrave
09-27-2021, 12:28 PM
Best Drive of the night will be my drive back to Tupelo/

MaroonFlounder
09-27-2021, 03:45 PM
Equidistant to the sidelines

Uniforms with grey piping and maroon numerals

The Land of Milk and Honey (the endzone)

The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page that time, but it's only week 11.

Utah pass. (shovel pass)

lastmajordog
09-27-2021, 04:16 PM
“He CAN NOT GO,,!!!” is a phrase I”ve used many times in life.....unfortunately the humor is lost on some ......

R2Dawg
09-27-2021, 05:17 PM
?He CAN NOT GO,,!!!? is a phrase I?ve used many times in life.....unfortunately the humor is lost on some ......

That one stuck with me too.

Jack had a way of describing the teams - uniforms and formations too.

Maroonthirteen
09-27-2021, 09:16 PM
"Colder than a pawn brokers heart."

BuckyIsAB****
09-27-2021, 09:46 PM
The red elephants and after the first play of Jackson St in 2009 we ran a reverse pass and he said it was better than the traditional plunge off right tackle

Saltydog
09-28-2021, 07:13 AM
Of course #1 was "Wrap it in Maroon and White" but others

""mass of humanity" when we plugged up the middle

"and he cannot go" when we stuffed a run

If anyone had done there research they should have filled up his segment with his sayings.

Thought this topic deserved its own thread. Others for those of you with better memory than I have.

He used to say something like: ?he?s 6 tall and 200 pounds?

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 08:07 AM
"Blow the ***damn whistle"- Jack during a basketball at Kentucky when he thought the mic was off

Awesome. Had forgotten that.

grinnindawg
09-28-2021, 08:15 AM
"Going at it Hammer and Tongs"

"State takes the field with what resembles an offense" //3Q in Gainesville. I think we had 1st down.

He was just above the student section for a while at basketball games. Sitting in front of him was great entertainment.

State82
09-28-2021, 08:32 AM
Hotter than a depot stove

was21
09-28-2021, 09:45 AM
"Mississippi State thus far has been unable to generate anything that remotely resembles an offense"

StarkVegasSteve
09-28-2021, 10:05 AM
"Chris Relf can throw it far. He cannot throw it accurately, but he can throw it far."

Mjoelner34
09-28-2021, 10:40 AM
In basketball: "Kentucky comes out in their typical kung-fu defense."

In football during the Croom Error when Jim was listing the frequency you could hear their broadcast on in Tiger Stadium next week at LSU, a highly frustrated Jack said "That is, if anybody even wants to listen!"

lastmajordog
09-28-2021, 11:19 AM
I would really like to hear his call of the Dick Pace interference penalty, does anyone have a link to that. Don’t think I ever got to hear it, My bottom jaw is probably still on the stands in Jackson.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 11:21 AM
"Colder than a pawn brokers heart."

Remember dat one. Classic.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 11:24 AM
"Chris Relf can throw it far. He cannot throw it accurately, but he can throw it far."

I heard that one during game. Laughed my ass off. I had forgotten who the QB was. We were wooly when he signed.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 11:31 AM
I would really like to hear his call of the Dick Pace interference penalty, does anyone have a link to that. Don’t think I ever got to hear it, My bottom jaw is probably still on the stands in Jackson.

Was near the end zone on dat one. I never heard what Jack said. I think Walt Harris covered?
Our defender had his BACK to the confed on the INT. Penalty thrown immediately after INT. then they said the "interference" took place 5 yards BEFORE entering end zone. Yea.

tcdog70
09-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Was near the end zone on dat one. I never heard what Jack said. I think Walt Harris covered?
Our defender had his BACK to the confed on the INT. Penalty thrown immediately after INT. then they said the "interference" took place 5 yards BEFORE entering end zone. Yea.

KENNETH JOHNSON I THINK--- HE INTERCEPTED THE PASS.

tcdog70
09-29-2021, 10:18 AM
he doesn't stand a Chinaman's chance

R2Dawg
09-29-2021, 12:06 PM
he doesn't stand a Chinaman's chance

Ha great one.

IMissJack
09-29-2021, 12:31 PM
?In the words of Winston Churchill, never have so many, owed so much to so few.? After beating Bama I think, maybe on Bellard?s show.

IMissJack
09-29-2021, 12:34 PM
One of my favorite things about Jacks’ broadcast was the vivid description of both uniforms that were being worn. He painted the picture.

OLJWales
09-29-2021, 01:51 PM
"Mississippi State thus far has been unable to generate anything that remotely resembles an offense"

Cool thread. Bump. Good one 21

OLJWales
09-29-2021, 01:56 PM
One of my favorite things about Jacks’ broadcast was the vivid description of both uniforms that were being worn. He painted the picture.

Was so good for laymen like me describing formations Pre-Snap.

OLJWales
09-29-2021, 02:03 PM
?He CAN NOT GO,,!!!? is a phrase I?ve used many times in life.....unfortunately the humor is lost on some ......

Damn I loved hearing him say that many times. Especially in crunch time. Fired me up big time.

R2Dawg
09-29-2021, 07:57 PM
Damn I loved hearing him say that many times. Especially in crunch time. Fired me up big time.

Same here OLJ. That was great on the old Philco with cowbells in the background. Jack made me a Bulldog before I even sat foot on campus.

OLJWales
09-29-2021, 10:16 PM
Same here OLJ. That was great on the old Philco with cowbells in the background. Jack made me a Bulldog before I even sat foot on campus.

Yep. I begged my Dad to take me to the egg bowl when I was 6 but he insisted I was too young. I sat down in my room listening to Jack while Archie sat with an arm cast. Didn't miss a beat. My mama cried. She couldn't believe a 6 yr old gave that many shits. My dad got his ass worn the 17 out when he got home. Daddy took me every time going forward. I wish I could remember the poem in its entirety. "Johnny Reb, Johnny Reb what happened today when you and The Bullies came to play. It was a shame Ole Arch was lame but not even he coulda changed this game. In the opening quarter our first downs were plenty but the poor Ole Rebs didn't get any. "

Joe Reed was our QB and 2 confeds kicked him after he was knocked out of bounds on their sideline. "17 them all to death" as Mr Garrison would say.

HeCannotGo
09-30-2021, 03:38 PM
As you can tell from my username, I'm a Jack Cristil fan. Here's a copy-and-paste from a post I made on SPS soon after Jack's death with a list of some of my favorite phrases.

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback for the Bulldogs. The six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi reads a four man defensive front with a three-linebacker set."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white trousered Bulldogs have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes, first and three and goal to go."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the four yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson," [Aaron then celebrates wildly] "and Aaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."

R2Dawg
09-30-2021, 03:51 PM
As you can tell from my username, I'm a Jack Cristil fan. Here's a copy-and-paste from a post I made on SPS soon after Jack's death with a list of some of my favorite phrases.

1. "Don Smith is engineering at quarterback for the Bulldogs. The six-tall youngster hailing from Hamilton, Mississippi reads a four man defensive front with a three-linebacker set."

2. "Head coach Richard Williams is stylishly bedecked in his grey suit, harmonized with his maroon tie."

3. "The Bulldogs are seven yards away from the land of milk and honey, trailing nothing to three with two times out remaining."

4. "John Fourcade is hit and he is dropped, into the customary seating position. They will spot the ball along the forty-four yard stripe, 'they' being the working officials."

5. "The maroon-headgeared, maroon-jersied, white trousered Bulldogs have football possession with the ball equidistant from the sideline stripes, first and three and goal to go."

6. "The Bulldog offensive linemen are performing yeoman duty along the forward wall."

7. "The handoff is to the tailback and he cannot go, as he is stacked up by a writhing mass of humanity along the four yard line, led by Glenn Collins and Johnny Cooks."

8. "It's as cold as a pawnbroker's heart, but this crowd is alive here at Scott Field."

9. "Reggie Collier wants to throw . . . now under pressure and he's hit and dropped for a loss by Aaron Pearson," [Aaron then celebrates wildly] "and Aaron is aroused."

10. "And Dampier slams it in the goal. Kentucky asks for and receives time out, and we'll now pause for these messages on the Mississippi State network from Coke, from State Farm, and from our good friends at Iupe's, on the Square in Canton."

Awesome. Dang brought back some memories. Wow, great post. I vividly remember many of those calls. Jack the Legend that is absolutely part responsible for Bulldog football.

Boy so wish he had been around to call the #1 ranked Bulldogs in 2014. Oh my, oh my.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
10-02-2021, 07:34 AM
There was one phrase he used about Citation not being able to catch him, when he was describing a player who had a lot of speed.

dstatechamps
10-02-2021, 07:55 AM

I read every one of these in his voice. Nice!

mudbugs
10-02-2021, 10:59 AM
These are all so good, and bring back such great memories. A couple I don't think I have seen;

" The crowd is alive" and

"looking resplendent with white trousers with the maroon piping, Maroon jerseys and maroon headgear"

Coach34
10-02-2021, 11:01 AM

haha- so did I

Joebob
10-02-2021, 11:08 AM
"Going at it Hammer and Tongs"

"State takes the field with what resembles an offense" //3Q in Gainesville. I think we had 1st down.

He was just above the student section for a while at basketball games. Sitting in front of him was great entertainment.

I can still smell his cigarette smoke wafting over me.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 11:21 AM

This and he painted such a vivid picture of everything that was happening. You could see it in your minds eye the pictures he painted of everything that was going on. Outside of Vin Scully I've never heard another radio announcer be able to let you "see" what was happening without actually seeing it. There'll never be another Jack!

Commercecomet24
10-02-2021, 11:22 AM

Same here!

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-02-2021, 01:00 PM
These took me back to listening with my grandad and my grandad cussing state! Great memories! That?s why sports are great.