PDA

View Full Version : I'd buy season tix to hop on the Gus Bus

Indndawg
09-25-2021, 05:28 PM
With our somewhat improved receivers, I'd like to see where he could take our offense, even with Will still there

BayouDawg
09-25-2021, 07:56 PM
I will not be hopping on the Gus Bus. Dude cant recruit a qb or develop one.

CaptainObvious
09-25-2021, 08:35 PM
I will not be hopping on the Gus Bus. Dude cant recruit a qb or develop one.

Might not be as hard as you think. It looks like there was a darn good QB right up the road in Sardis that could run the Malzhan offense.

BayouDawg
09-25-2021, 08:40 PM
Might not be as hard as you think. It looks like there was a darn good QB right up the road in Sardis that could run the Malzhan offense.

Do you not remember the 4 star quarterbacks that never developed under him? He routinely had to depend on jucos and transfers. His best year was with a juco defensive back.

Hambone
09-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Yea count me out on him as well. Couldn’t win consistently with actually money men who would help bring in the recruits.

Apoplectic
09-26-2021, 09:36 AM
The guy was within minutes of winning a title - i?d take him if leach can?t get it done after year 3.

MetEdDawg
09-26-2021, 09:59 AM
No thanks on Malzahn. No one on this board can name one QB he developed. And if you haven't figured this out yet, you don't win games in the SEC without a good QB.

Malzahn would be a horrible hire in my opinion.

BuckyIsAB****
09-26-2021, 10:03 AM
I would take him too.

CadaverDawg
09-26-2021, 10:26 AM
No. Although he'd be a much better fit than Leach. But still no

SteelCurtain74
09-26-2021, 10:33 AM
This will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think Malzahn would give us the time of day and he's probably has a better chance of success at UCF. With UCF joining the Big 12, he has a better chance of sniffing the playoffs with UCF than with us. Not to mention the recruiting base of Florida in his backyard, the allure of coming back to the SEC is probably not as big as it would be if UCF was not joining the Big 12.

Dawgface
09-26-2021, 10:37 AM
That's all we need......another retread.

dawgoneyall
09-26-2021, 10:42 AM
No!

TNDawg35
09-26-2021, 11:28 AM
If make Kendell Briles say no or let Arnette take over and then let him go hire someone like Lebby or a heck of a OC…

gtowndawg
09-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Leach is terrible and I want him gone but I'm passing on Gus. It's just another retread that has plenty of money already. Get me someone with a chip on their shoulder and is hungry (aka a Mullen when we hired him).

RiverCityDawg
09-26-2021, 11:46 AM
One of the worst QB evaluaters/recruiters/developers the SEC has ever seen. Every QB he brought in sucked or got worse as he was there. The only HS QB he brought in that kept the starting job for any amount of time was Nix and he stinks and got benched last night.

And his scheme sucks ass.

Hard pass.

Apoplectic
09-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Well damn if QB is all you?re worried about then hire hevasey.

BuckyIsAB****
09-26-2021, 08:48 PM
He also beat Saban more than anyone else and won a lot of ball games. I think he is a good coach and Auburn will regret firing him

BiscuitEater
09-26-2021, 09:13 PM
With our somewhat improved receivers, I'd like to see where he could take our offense, even with Will still there

Gus couldn't win at 'cheater U' .. exactly 'what' makes you think he can win at MSU?

DownwardDawg
09-26-2021, 09:17 PM
He also beat Saban more than anyone else and won a lot of ball games. I think he is a good coach and Auburn will regret firing him

He beat Saban a bunch

OLJWales
09-26-2021, 09:56 PM
Ain't no sense hoping cuz ain't no way we cut Leach after yr 2. No?

Todd4State
09-26-2021, 10:48 PM
Hiring Mahlzahn wouldn't bother me at all but I wouldn't be super excited about it. He seems fairly unstable.

HaggardDawg
09-26-2021, 11:59 PM
He was a finalist for our job in 2009.

Dak Holliday
09-28-2021, 12:04 AM
Malzahn had arguably the toughest CFB job in the nation. Living, playing, and recruiting in the same state as Bama? He actually did a fairly admirable job considering he was firmly in the shadow of Saban whose reach goes far beyond the SEC, much less Alabama. We could definitely do worse and I?m not convinced that we haven?t.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 03:00 AM
Malzahn had arguably the toughest CFB job in the nation. Living, playing, and recruiting in the same state as Bama? He actually did a fairly admirable job considering he was firmly in the shadow of Saban whose reach goes far beyond the SEC, much less Alabama. We could definitely do worse and I?m not convinced that we haven?t.

Words of Iron. But would hafta be after year 3 I reckon.

TNDawg35
09-28-2021, 08:50 AM
I just watched the documentary on Amazon Prime about Mitch Mustain. It had a big thing about Malzahn when he was hired by Ark as the OC. If you go by the documentary, he got railroaded on that job. I don’t remember much about that season, but Arkansas was rolling and the they benched Mustain and it went downhill from there with Nutt and Malzahn.

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2021, 09:33 AM
I think Malzahn would do OK... at MSU, but it would be another 180 on offensive scheme, so it's a hard pass for me right now.

We're getting better. Let's see where this goes over the next few years. Need to stick with Leach for now

PGHBulldogBG
09-28-2021, 11:28 AM
Malzahn would just be a very average hire. I think he would do decent here but his lack of QB development would be my biggest concern. We would have more talent overall but I don?t think the results would be another more than average

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Malzahn would just be a very average hire. I think he would do decent here but his lack of QB development would be my biggest concern. We would have more talent overall but I don?t think the results would be another more than average

Cajun O, Miles, chick Dick, dudn't Gus have one too at Barn? Amazing. Rodney Dangerfields.

StarkVegasSteve
09-28-2021, 12:01 PM
I think Malzahn would do OK... at MSU, but it would be another 180 on offensive scheme, so it's a hard pass for me right now.

We're getting better. Let's see where this goes over the next few years. Need to stick with Leach for now

I don't necessarily think it'd be a 180. Gus has shown he can tailor his offense to a QB. They threw the ball a lot more with Stidham than he did with Marshall or Nix. I think Gus could bring excitement to the fan base once again and that's the main thing we're lacking at the moment. I do agree that we'd run it more, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. And......he's coached in this league and recruited in this league. I'd take him right now.

OLJWales
09-28-2021, 12:06 PM
I don't necessarily think it'd be a 180. Gus has shown he can tailor his offense to a QB. They threw the ball a lot more with Stidham than he did with Marshall or Nix. I think Gus could bring excitement to the fan base once again and that's the main thing we're lacking at the moment. I do agree that we'd run it more, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. And......he's coached in this league and recruited in this league. I'd take him right now.

Words of Iron. I think he is top tier. I can't imagine the hell he took from Barn Cigar Boy.

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2021, 12:23 PM
Gus possibly did less with more than anyone not at UGA. Yes, he beat Bama 3 times. But that series is just like MSU/OM - everything goes out the window for that game and either team can win.

I think Gus is a lesser coach than Mullen and we would be staring at a lot more 6-6/7-5 type seasons because of it. He's not a difference maker.