PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: Who did Cohen get advice from for the two football hires??

IMissJack
09-25-2021, 03:13 PM
Most AD?s don?t do this by themselves, there are plenty of consultants that assist in these types of hires.

Dawgology
09-25-2021, 03:34 PM
I shit you not. Other ADs in the conference

IMissJack
09-25-2021, 03:39 PM

I’m sure they had our best interest at heart. SMH

War Machine Dawg
09-25-2021, 03:41 PM
Lonnie Tinkle 2.0

msstate7
09-25-2021, 03:41 PM
If leach doesn't make it 4 years, Cohen has to go. You can't miss on 2 football coaches in the sec

IMissJack
09-25-2021, 03:48 PM
If leach doesn't make it 4 years, Cohen has to go. You can't miss on 2 football coaches in the sec

The problem is circular, because Keenum hires the next AD and so on and so forth. Our entire campus is so full of hiring our own alumni that it stinks to high heaven. It’s like CEO’s that hire “yes” men to never disagree with them.

BayouDawg
09-25-2021, 03:49 PM

I honestly still dont understand how he got the job. Although I am glad to have lemmonis instead of Cohen as head baseball coach.

War Machine Dawg
09-25-2021, 05:04 PM
The problem is circular, because Keenum hires the next AD and so on and so forth. Our entire campus is so full of hiring our own alumni that it stinks to high heaven. It’s like CEO’s that hire “yes” men to never disagree with them.

💯 Until we bring in new blood from outside MSU, nothing will change. But the real problem is our Cigar Boys who would rather control everything than so what's best for the University.

schddog72
09-25-2021, 07:16 PM

First call was probably Loafers. . . .

schddog72
09-25-2021, 07:17 PM
I honestly still dont understand how he got the job. Although I am glad to have lemmonis instead of Cohen as head baseball coach.

NO problem at all with Lemmonis, but he was not first choice. Just saying . . . .

BayouDawg
09-25-2021, 07:19 PM
NO problem at all with Lemmonis, but he was not first choice. Just saying . . . .

Well thank god we missed cause schloss hasnt won anything of note.

schddog72
09-25-2021, 07:28 PM
Well thank god we missed cause schloss hasnt won anything of note.

Agree totally, but we backed into a great hire; Schloss/McDonnell - McDonnell/Schloss, take your pick, were First, Second choices.

Dawgology
09-25-2021, 07:34 PM
First call was probably Loafers. . . .

Yep

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2021, 07:36 PM

I agree with this. I think we're pretty good soon though, but yes. He should be gone if Leach gets fired

RocketDawg
09-25-2021, 07:41 PM
I agree with this. I think we're pretty good soon though, but yes. He should be gone if Leach gets fired

I don't see how we can afford to fire Leach, at least before Oklahoma and Texas officially get in. Our income has to be down because of Covid and poor performance since Mullen left. And we're paying him $5M, presumably with a 4-year contract.

memsu06
09-25-2021, 09:34 PM
This is a young team and in 3 years we'll be loaded with Seniors.

Give Mike Leach a chance.

sleepy dawg
09-26-2021, 07:28 AM

The age of our team is average when compared to other teams. We're not that young.

R2Dawg
09-26-2021, 07:46 AM

Agree with that, especially two in a row.

MaroonFlounder
09-26-2021, 01:42 PM
I don't see how we can afford to fire Leach, at least before Oklahoma and Texas officially get in.

Okla and Texas coming into the conference would be a reason to KEEP LEACH. I'm willing to bet that he would be competitive with both those teams. Coached OU, and went head to head and eventually beat UT.

And if Bama rotated off of our schedule, and we were competitive with those other teams, we can close the gap between us and the elite programs.

was21
09-26-2021, 03:15 PM
One of the selling points is that he was" in attendance" at meetings that Byrne and Stricklin held

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-26-2021, 03:23 PM
Things changed for the better when outsiders came in?..Foglesong and Byrne.

schddog72
09-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Things changed for the better when outsiders came in?..Foglesong and Byrne.

We older Dawgs also remember Dr. Zacharis; he was outstanding!!

Dak Holliday
09-26-2021, 11:56 PM
If we fire CML and can rid ourselves of Cohen, I?d say that?s a win, but it needs to happen before CML pulls a Polk 2.0. As it stands, we have a good program, good facilities, pay really good money, have a good bowl streak, and the best fans(minus a few) in college football. Starkville is up and coming. I think it may be better to pull the plug before he ruins us and somehow the media spins it that we ruined him before he retires.

Bothrops
09-27-2021, 12:30 AM
Hiring outsiders is great and all but as soon as they get in the building you'd better start working on a new list of future candidates to replace them. It's a stepping stone job for outsiders, which means short stints.

Dak Holliday
09-27-2021, 12:35 AM
CML is an outsider. JoMo was an outsider. CDM outsider. Croom. JWS. All outsiders. We haven?t had a MSU HC with MSU ties that I can ever remember. I don?t remember the Felker days.

Bothrops
09-27-2021, 12:39 AM
CML is an outsider. JoMo was an outsider. CDM outsider. Croom. JWS. All outsiders. We haven?t had a MSU HC with MSU ties that I can ever remember. I don?t remember the Felker days.

I was referring to AD's.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-27-2021, 12:39 AM
The problem is circular, because Keenum hires the next AD and so on and so forth. Our entire campus is so full of hiring our own alumni that it stinks to high heaven. It?s like CEO?s that hire ?yes? men to never disagree with them.

Is that like cousins in Arkansas???

TaleofTwoDogs
09-27-2021, 12:46 AM
Okla and Texas coming into the conference would be a reason to KEEP LEACH. I'm willing to bet that he would be competitive with both those teams. Coached OU, and went head to head and eventually beat UT.

And if Bama rotated off of our schedule, and we were competitive with those other teams, we can close the gap between us and the elite programs.

Are you serious? Optimism springs eternal in Starkvegas. If reputations won football games we would surely be undefeated this year.

Dak Holliday
09-27-2021, 03:36 PM
I was referring to AD's.

I think Administration jobs are more home cooking, but sometimes outsiders are worse than in house candidates. The basketball player at OM has shown himself to a vast improvement over tricycle riding Bjork or whatever his name was that?s at A&M now.

TStationDawg
09-28-2021, 01:49 PM
His wife- she calls the rest of the shots- why not this one

TStationDawg
09-28-2021, 01:55 PM

Uhm....why?! I don't agree with firing, based on optics alone. But don't tell me "to give him a chance". he's got that now...and he is messing the bed.

BB30
09-28-2021, 02:52 PM
Uhm....why?! I don't agree with firing, based on optics alone. But don't tell me "to give him a chance". he's got that now...and he is messing the bed.

Eh he did bring us our first NC. If he isn't the AD at that point in time that quite possibly doesn't ever happen or at least not as quickly as it did.

I am fine with him as AD, I do wish he would surround himself with some better football minds when it comes time to hire again but none of us truly know who all was involved in the hiring of Jomo and Leach.

Obviously the buck stops with Cohen but I assure you there were plenty of people involved. Jomo on paper wasn't a terrible hire and he seemed to follow the framework that brought us Mullen. A young up and coming offensive mind that many thought to be ahead of the game. Turns out not every good OC makes a good HC.

Football hires are a crap shoot most of the time anyway. People dogged Arkansas for their coaching search and hire and they quite possibly got the best out of the bunch. Can you imagine the uproar on this message board had Cohen hired Sam Pittman after JOMO? Anyone on here saying they would have been thrilled with that hire must not remember all the nonsense that was talked on here about how bad that hire was for Arkansas.

The only guarantee in CFB is 80 miles down the road in Tuscaloosa. Even the Dabo shine is fading a bit.

WinningIsRelentless
09-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Y?all do realize its well documented that Cohen was in the interview for Mullen and told Bryne that he was the guy right?

Moorehead was viewed as an excellent hire by everyone across the country but it didn?t work out. He didn?t have the focus and drive it takes to succeed in the SEC.

Leach the storyline is still out on and only time will tell.

The hires Cohen has made have been decent/good hires at the time.

Canny let success get to his head and that was his end doing. He wasn?t a bad coach at all.

McCray hire you will have a better picture on in about March if it was a bad hire or not. I have a feeling hiring women?s basketball coaches in the SEC is about like hiring football coaches in the SEC. A lot of people are willing to stay put because of the strength of the conference.

Churchill
09-28-2021, 10:03 PM
💯 Until we bring in new blood from outside MSU, nothing will change. But the real problem is our Cigar Boys who would rather control everything than so what's best for the University.

The "Cigar boys" have more control now than they have in the last 50 years. It's taking a huge toll.

Todd4State
09-28-2021, 10:05 PM
The "Cigar boys" have more control now than they have in the last 50 years. It's taking a huge toll.
Huh? The past 50 years MSU has been extremely successful across all sports.

Churchill
09-28-2021, 10:20 PM
Huh? The past 50 years MSU has been extremely successful across all sports.

That's because the "cigar boys" weren't as involved....they're back.

IMissJack
09-29-2021, 10:34 AM
Y?all do realize its well documented that Cohen was in the interview for Mullen and told Bryne that he was the guy right?

Moorehead was viewed as an excellent hire by everyone across the country but it didn?t work out. He didn?t have the focus and drive it takes to succeed in the SEC.

Leach the storyline is still out on and only time will tell.

The hires Cohen has made have been decent/good hires at the time.

Canny let success get to his head and that was his end doing. He wasn?t a bad coach at all.

McCray hire you will have a better picture on in about March if it was a bad hire or not. I have a feeling hiring women?s basketball coaches in the SEC is about like hiring football coaches in the SEC. A lot of people are willing to stay put because of the strength of the conference.

Greg Byrne did not hire Mullen on Cohen?s thumbs up. This is laughable!

Did he also tell Byrne that Croom needed to go? Byrne could run circles around Cohen backwards.