PDA

View Full Version : For those looking to the portal...

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 04:41 PM
For a QB, let me refresh your memory. Think about the last two.

Bass Chaser
09-22-2021, 04:47 PM
I understand what you're saying and agree, but I think we have to look for a backup at least.

WinningIsRelentless
09-22-2021, 05:10 PM
Will has the chance to change the staffs mind in the next 9 game or 10 games if we are looking for a starter or backup. It?s 100% on Will what we are looking for. Mike isn?t going down with Will being nervous to throw it deep.

Dawgfan77
09-22-2021, 05:12 PM
For a QB, let me refresh your memory. Think about the last two.

We as fans don't have a say but what I'm hearing is that we missed on two QBs this last cycle and it's a must to get a transfer. And that ain't what I'm saying that's what's being told.

TheLostDawg
09-22-2021, 05:47 PM
Thunder and lightning had a good point. Basically he has until the Alabama game. That will be his twelfth start. He shows he has it or he doesn't after that.

Homedawg
09-22-2021, 06:13 PM
Thunder and lightning had a good point. Basically he has until the Alabama game. That will be his twelfth start. He shows he has it or he doesn't after that.

When since did a qb get 12 games to prove his worth? Guess the patriots are glad Mac Jones got more than that. Dang he should be a rs freshman sitting on the bench w every Tom dick and Harry on here saying he should be getting his shot Bc the present qb sucks...
ETA and no I'm not comparing him to Mac Jones and he won't ever play in the nfl I get that. But still 12 games??

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2021, 06:36 PM
Past performance has no bearing on future performance. If Leach sees a QB in the portal he think can help the team
it's his job to bring him in.

KOdawg1
09-22-2021, 06:40 PM
We need competition. That's why Abraham leaving hurt. Will was probably the QB anyway, but competition brings out the best in everyone. And we better hope Sawyer, Greek, Locke, or a transfer QB can compete next year.

RiverCityDawg
09-22-2021, 07:02 PM
We as fans don't have a say but what I'm hearing is that we missed on two QBs this last cycle and it's a must to get a transfer. And that ain't what I'm saying that's what's being told.

Any guesses as to the two we missed on last cycle?

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 07:08 PM

Missing on 2 highly rated QBs makes you wonder if the deficiency is in coaching or recruiting analysis

Dawgfan77
09-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Robertson loved baseball more than he loves football so his commitment to football is not 100%. That's all im gonna say about that. Greek was never signed to be the guy was always going to be a 2 QB. We missed it happens unfortunately we missed twice now we have to now go get some transfers.
Before you all flame away and say I'm wrong... our back up is a 5'9 walk on from USA, not one of the freshman and had JA not gotten hurt they would have been 4th.
It's not ideal

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2021, 07:49 PM
Who is hated more for no reason, Will or Fitzgerald? What rumor will yall make up about him? We all remember what it was with Fitz. And for the record I said a long time ago that Robertson would never beat Will and he was more likely to start in Dudy Noble than he was Davis Wade.

But what do I know, Im just Wills EliteDawgs dad?

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2021, 07:51 PM
Yall are gonna just have to complain and cry for the next 3 years bc 2 is the guy as long as Leach is here.

Dawgfan77
09-22-2021, 08:02 PM
Buck. Sit this one out bro. There are multiple reasons we are going after a transfer

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Buck. Sit this one out bro. There are multiple reasons we are going after a transfer

Yes sir. Leach has gotten one every year since his first year at WSU. But carry on

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2021, 08:05 PM
Kinda like how Abraham was gonna beat him too?maybe one day someone will beat Will. He must be pretty good to beat all these guys who are so good after his job and all these QB coaches on his ass

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 08:13 PM

You have to admit Bucky called this

Percho
09-22-2021, 08:18 PM

Let's see. Now, who was the last QB we had that beat Alabama?

Came in rated 8688. How many 8688 rated Qb's have come into the SEC and started 12 games in their first and second year out of high school anf what did they do in those 12 games?

Yep I think we should at the very least give him through the Alabama game to prove himself! LSU and TA&M how much talent is on those teams???????????????????

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 08:18 PM
When since did a qb get 12 games to prove his worth? Guess the patriots are glad Mac Jones got more than that. Dang he should be a rs freshman sitting on the bench w every Tom dick and Harry on here saying he should be getting his shot Bc the present qb sucks...
ETA and no I'm not comparing him to Mac Jones and he won't ever play in the nfl I get that. But still 12 games??

It's like we are QBU and all of a sudden everyone is a talent expert. We have had so many sophomore qbs throw 60 passes a game ...

Percho
09-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Past performance has no bearing on future performance. If Leach sees a QB in the portal he think can help the team
it's his job to bring him in.

That, even I would agree on.

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 08:36 PM
We need competition. That's why Abraham leaving hurt. Will was probably the QB anyway, but competition brings out the best in everyone. And we better hope Sawyer, Greek, Locke, or a transfer QB can compete next year.

Competition is great but don't expect a savior

R2Dawg
09-22-2021, 09:22 PM
Yall are gonna just have to complain and cry for the next 3 years bc 2 is the guy as long as Leach is here.

I believe you are correct. Wait till next year and see. Will be a two year starter after this year. Gonna take a serious recruit to bump him and I don't see it happening. Will has weaknesses but it ain't all on his shoulders.

confucius say
09-22-2021, 10:10 PM
Leach has said he likes to always bring in a veteran qb in the portal. I would be more surprised if he doesn't do this than if he does. And that goes for any year.

Doggie_Style
09-22-2021, 10:28 PM
The QB situation for 2022 doesn?t look much different than where we are today?.either Will who hasn?t improved or a freshman

Cowbell
09-22-2021, 10:31 PM
The QB situation for 2022 doesn?t look much different than where we are today?.either Will who hasn?t improved or a freshman

Why would will not improve?

Todd4State
09-22-2021, 11:03 PM

Exactly. I think Will may respond better to pressure and I think he needs someone to push him. That person was Abraham. We need to find someone like that next year. I bet we end up with another G5 QB that played pretty well and wants a chance at the SEC.

Robertson loved baseball more than he loves football so his commitment to football is not 100%. That's all im gonna say about that. Greek was never signed to be the guy was always going to be a 2 QB. We missed it happens unfortunately we missed twice now we have to now go get some transfers.
Before you all flame away and say I'm wrong... our back up is a 5'9 walk on from USA, not one of the freshman and had JA not gotten hurt they would have been 4th.
It's not ideal

I don't know Sawyer Robertson personally but it could be that his lack of focus is because he knows he's not playing this year. We'll find out in the coming years. So, I don't doubt what you are saying but I also think it's way too soon to say we missed on him. Personally my expectation was for Will start until 2023 and then Sawyer to take over after that with a redshirt year thrown in.

Exactly. There's zero reason to put a definitive "by game 12 you better be performing or else..." I think with all players not just QB's you have to judge them from year to year really rather than a certain number of starts. There is a LOT of development that goes on in the offseason for all football players- physically and also football wise from a player standpoint. To me, by your junior year a typical football player should be mature physically and also have enough game experience as a player to draw from to be effective as a player. All of that adds up. And it's why more experienced college football teams tend to do well. Sure there are unicorns like Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons and the majority of Alabama's roster. Kickers and punters may be an exception too but they're different animals anyway.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2021, 06:42 AM
You have to admit Bucky called this
In no way am I saying Buck is right or wrong. What I am saying and what some have missed is that we are going to go after a scholarship transfer not walk ons like JA or our USA backup. Take that for what it's worth.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 07:15 AM

I get your point, but the 2 players Mac Jones backed up are starting nfl qbs. Tua's days may be numbered though. Our situation is nothing like that. Will is the best we have at the moment, and he woulda been a walk-on in the above mentioned qb room

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Robertson loved baseball more than he loves football so his commitment to football is not 100%. l

Why do you think this?

You're already saying we missed on Robertson?

FISHDAWG
09-23-2021, 07:49 AM
I believe you are correct. Wait till next year and see. Will be a two year starter after this year. Gonna take a serious recruit to bump him and I don't see it happening. Will has weaknesses but it ain't all on his shoulders.

This ... I don't think any of the pure passers like Dan Marino or Elway could make this thing work... Fran Tarkenton maybe but I'm not convinced ML wants anything less than his type QB

IMissJack
09-23-2021, 07:51 AM

At this point, it is not only about competition, but also practicality. Will could go down at any time with an injury. You have to have someone ready to come in.

basedog
09-23-2021, 08:15 AM
This ... I don't think any of the pure passers like Dan Marino or Elway could make this thing work... Fran Tarkenton maybe but I'm not convinced ML wants anything less than his type QB

I agree with you Fish, it's a read and react offense that requires quick throws when a receiver is open. The biggest problem I see is the Sec defenses are much more faster, quicker and aggressive than Big 12 and Pac 12. When receiver isn't open the Qb either has to throw the ball away quickly or be able to scramble and hope one of our receivers can find a seam or open spot in a 8 man zone. Without a running game or deep throw threat the Sec defenses are gonna eat us alive which in the Sec west is just brutal!

RiverCityDawg
09-23-2021, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Leach has never replaced a two year starter at QB who has eligibility remaining with someone new. Granted, having immediate transfers available is a relatively new concept, but I think it would take a special talent AND someone with experience in the Air Raid to even have a chance. Even then, I just don't see Will getting replaced before he leaves. Just not the way it goes with Leach.

And this is way out there in the future, but I said a little while back that I think Locke will be the next QB after Will leaves.

Johnson85
09-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Why would will not improve?

Some QBs don't. I don't expect that to be the case with Rodgers, but it happens. QBs usually don't top out early in their second year on campus, but I guess if he's been in a similar system and been getting good coaching, it's possible the normal low hanging fruit isn't there for him.

Johnson85
09-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Missing on 2 highly rated QBs makes you wonder if the deficiency is in coaching or recruiting analysis

What highly rated QB did we get other than Robertson?

Bass Chaser
09-23-2021, 09:01 AM
My thoughts on the transfer are related to if Will gets injured not just competition. If he's injured you're dependent on Robertson, Greek, or Locke without a transfer.

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Why do you think this?

This has been said several times before, and yes Bucky did call this on being Wills team for this year and next for sure. Sawyer is all about baseball because he thinks he will be drafted earlier meaning possibly sophomore year with baseball. He would have to wait 4 years on football which he is not even a starter. He is very behind the curve with his passing reads in this offense.

Sawyer has a huge arm and lots of talent but much like Costello last year this offense requires more than just arm talent and the ability to throw a ball deep. Costello proved that last year.

Does Will need to air it out deeper downfield? YES ABSOLUTELY, did Costello and Leachs interaction last year with all the interceptions burn in his memory? What do you think? A grad transfer senior QB is brought in for 1 football year then in game 1 sets an all time passing record, then gets benched 3 games later for a true freshman QB? you don?t think that is in the back of Wills mind?

Not to mention all of the loud fans that are being so hardheaded about putting Sawyer in because he was good in High School are screaming their heads off. WILL ROGERS IS THE BEST WE HAVE GET BEHIND THE YOUND MAN AND EASE OFF. He needs to throw deep every now and then just to keep those safeties honest. Hopefully that happens but thinking Sawyer is taking over barring several injuries shows just how out of touch you are with this football team.

Sawyer is a strong armed QB who could be exceptional only problem is HE IS NOT READY and is buried in the depth chart.

Sorry for the long rant but enough is enough, which of your hands filled up faster? Most of you won?t get that but it is an old saying about wanting something in one hand versus the other.

bulldawg28
09-23-2021, 09:41 AM
This has been said several times before, and yes Bucky did call this on being Wills team for this year and next for sure. Sawyer is all about baseball because he thinks he will be drafted earlier meaning possibly sophomore year with baseball. He would have to wait 4 years on football which he is not even a starter. He is very behind the curve with his passing reads in this offense.

Sawyer has a huge arm and lots of talent but much like Costello last year this offense requires more than just arm talent and the ability to throw a ball deep. Costello proved that last year.

Does Will need to air it out deeper downfield? YES ABSOLUTELY, did Costello and Leachs interaction last year with all the interceptions burn in his memory? What do you think? A grad transfer senior QB is brought in for 1 football year then in game 1 sets an all time passing record, then gets benched 3 games later for a true freshman QB? you don?t think that is in the back of Wills mind?

Not to mention all of the loud fans that are being so hardheaded about putting Sawyer in because he was good in High School are screaming their heads off. WILL ROGERS IS THE BEST WE HAVE GET BEHIND THE YOUND MAN AND EASE OFF. He needs to throw deep every now and then just to keep those safeties honest. Hopefully that happens but thinking Sawyer is taking over barring several injuries shows just how out of touch you are with this football team.

Sawyer is a strong armed QB who could be exceptional only problem is HE IS NOT READY and is buried in the depth chart.

Sorry for the long rant but enough is enough, which of your hands filled up faster? Most of you won?t get that but it is an old saying about wanting something in one hand versus the other.

Costello didn't have a strong arm. If he did I missed it with all the check downs

Cowbell
09-23-2021, 09:56 AM
Costello didn't have a strong arm. If he did I missed it with all the check downs

Costello could sling it. To both teams

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 09:56 AM

Might want to go checkout his 2021 NFL draft profile then. He was rated as 5th strongest arm off all draft eligible QBS last year. His downfall, his inability to read the defenses in front of him, almost like he was predetermined on where he was going with the ball.

Those are not my words but words on NFL website of draft profilers for NFL teams. Costello had a very strong arm but simply didn’t know how to defeat a zone, plus our Wideouts didn’t help him by continuing their routes and running into another zone last year. They have done way better this year on stopping their route and sitting there. ThT is why Austin Williams gets all the looks he gets. He sits in the open area of the zone.

Bulldog I have read your commentary for a while. You know football and all this I am saying. You are just being contrary.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 10:07 AM

We should be getting a QB, of Sawyer's talent level, ready quicker. There's no way he's the 4th most talented QB on the roster &, if he's not getting reps, that a huge problem

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 10:18 AM
We should be getting a QB, of Sawyer's talent level, ready quicker. There's no way he's the 4th most talented QB on the roster &, if he's not getting reps, that a huge problem

So with the NCAA regulating practices per week and how long those practices can be, how do you see him getting reps without letting your current starter get reps. That is a recipe for disaster, also I have heard that the best thing Sawyer could do would be to sit down 1 on 1 and go over tape to learn what he is seeing and how to diagnose it. The coach I talked to says that the decision should take 2-3.5 seconds at most to see what the defense is giving you. Sawyer was clocked at best at 5 seconds during film sessions with a timer.

Yes reps would be very beneficial for him but at our teams detriment. So either A) give reps to a sawyer and focus on his growth therefore completely forfeiting this year or B) contour with current QB and do side field work with Sawyer. I will let you guess what is the decision, hence why he is behind. Missing those practices was his own fault and could have bridged his gap but nothing can be done about that now.

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 10:26 AM
You see no way that his talent is 4th strong? I personally know a guy that was, this is baseball mind you, but still relevant, a projected round 1 pitching talent. He threw close to 97 consistently at 18 years old. He had a tremendous arm and tall as well at 6’4. His problem was he had no idea where it was going. Then there was myself just a small 6’1 kid that on my best day could hit 88. I stayed ahead of him on our pitching rotation simply because I could hit my spots. Now we were the same age and I never played pro ball but he did. He got drafted in the 2nd round but yet he never took my spot until my rotator cuff split in half my senior year. I was never going to be in pro ball I knew it and everyone else knew it, but our team needed a consistent strike thrower hence why I never relinquished my role until health intervened.

My story and Will Rogers are similar to the fact that Someone had way more arm talent but couldn’t do what the team needed. Much like Sawyer and reading defenses or even Costello and reading defenses. He will eventually get there but not right now.

FISHDAWG
09-23-2021, 10:30 AM

Gun ... you're a good poster and it's apparent that you have a decent working knowledge of football... I just don't understand how you can hammer Will while propping up Leach . None of us know for sure but I suspect Will is just trying to do what his coach is telling him to do... yes there are more talented QB's out there but Leach has only had two years to procure ... try to appreciate what we have now because we could have been much less fortunate at that position... I don't think most of us are satisfied- it's just human nature but I remember past QB's that we have had to play and Will is good enough to succeed with an offense that is designed to succeed.... and a lot of us don't think this offense is capable of success in this conference

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 10:32 AM
If Leach won't incorporate a run game into the Air Raid - all of this wringing of hands and hoping for a transfer is just message board fodder.

Guys, its the fall that is gonna kill us. Y'all are sitting around worrying about whether we are gonna drown.

Will is not the problem. He just isn't the problem. The problems we are having is scheme related. I don't really like bashing our QB for an offensive scheme's shortcomings, but it seems like everyone doesn't want to admit a bigger failure.

We have watched this movie before guys, Its called the 2012 season where we were trying to run the Dak offense with 6'5" 210 lb Tyler Russell. Guess what? It didn't work and it wasn't Tyler's fault. We were running the wrong offense for him. Mullen didn't change his offense, he brought in Dak. Here, there is no magical QB that can make this offense work, we have to adjust the offense just like every coach on the air raid coaching tree has done.

Cowbell
09-23-2021, 10:55 AM

Tough task trying to get a high schooler ready to play who didn't show up until summer.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 11:13 AM
If Leach won't incorporate a run game into the Air Raid - all of this wringing of hands and hoping for a transfer is just message board fodder.

Guys, its the fall that is gonna kill us. Y'all are sitting around worrying about whether we are gonna drown.

Will is not the problem. He just isn't the problem. The problems we are having is scheme related. I don't really like bashing our QB for an offensive scheme's shortcomings, but it seems like everyone doesn't want to admit a bigger failure.

We have watched this movie before guys, Its called the 2012 season where we were trying to run the Dak offense with 6'5" 210 lb Tyler Russell. Guess what? It didn't work and it wasn't Tyler's fault. We were running the wrong offense for him. Mullen didn't change his offense, he brought in Dak. Here, there is no magical QB that can make this offense work, we have to adjust the offense just like every coach on the air raid coaching tree has done.

In this offense the qb is gonna throw it like every play. We won't survive with an ok qb... we need a difference maker if this offense has any chance. If we had a qb with an electric arm, all-the-sudden, those windows have to tighten up bc he can get the ball there. We aren't gonna run ourselves out of facing a drop 8 (even though we should), so we gonna have to have an arm that make every throw even in tight windows.

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 11:20 AM
In this offense the qb is gonna throw it like every play. We won't survive with an ok qb... we need a difference maker if this offense has any chance. If we had a qb with an electric arm, all-the-sudden, those windows have to tighten up bc he can get the ball there. We aren't gonna run ourselves out of facing a drop 8 (even though we should), so we gonna have to have an arm that make every throw even in tight windows.

I think you would agree that Matt Corral has a big time arm and is a NFL talent?

Go back and watch the Arkansas game that the bears played last year. Arkansas hit him with the 3-8 defense and he could not get balls through the tight windows against an SEC defense. He just couldn't do it. The coaches admitted that they simply failed to run the ball against the 3-8 and forced him into a bad spot. That is Matt Corral. If Matt Corral can't beat a 3-8 defense, who do you think can beat it without a running game.

Kiffin and company made a decision to run the ball more, and that is why they led the league in rushing last year, because teams dared them to run - and Lebby said ok. They ran the ball for 372 yards against Tulane. 372 yards while having an NFL draft pick at QB.

Guys, this isn't hard. Defensive coaches have figured out how to slow down the pure air raid offense. Can we still move the ball? Sure. Can we do it consistently? So far, we can't and that is not a QB problem, that is the scheme. The scheme that the Washington coaches mocked openly because its the same scheme Leach has been running for 20 years.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Why do you think this?

It's not what I think it's what's going on.
Not every kid comes in and is ready to do what it takes to get ready or improve. Sometimes their heart just is in another sport which makes it hard to recruit dual sport guys.

Dawgfan77
09-23-2021, 11:28 AM

Gun. You can do everything in your coaching ability to get a kid ready but ultimately the kid has to buy in and do those things that are necessary to be great. Regardless of talent ability. Sometimes the most talented players aren't t he hardest workers. It just is what it is.
Not saying sawyers not a hard worker but certain things must be done to be successful.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 11:30 AM
I think you would agree that Matt Corral has a big time arm and is a NFL talent?

Go back and watch the Arkansas game that the bears played last year. Arkansas hit him with the 3-8 defense and he could not get balls through the tight windows against an SEC defense. He just couldn't do it. The coaches admitted that they simply failed to run the ball against the 3-8 and forced him into a bad spot. That is Matt Corral. If Matt Corral can't beat a 3-8 defense, who do you think can beat it without a running game.

Kiffin and company made a decision to run the ball more, and that is why they led the league in rushing last year, because teams dared them to run - and Lebby said ok. They ran the ball for 372 yards against Tulane. 372 yards while having an NFL draft pick at QB.

Guys, this isn't hard. Defensive coaches have figured out how to slow down the pure air raid offense. Can we still move the ball? Sure. Can we do it consistently? So far, we can't and that is not a QB problem, that is the scheme. The scheme that the Washington coaches mocked openly because its the same scheme Leach has been running for 20 years.

https://i.postimg.cc/fRb60j3w/DE1-E99-E0-627-F-4984-8549-4-F7-A44-A385-F8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/8jqy2vB3)photo upload (https://postimages.org/)

They ran a ton before, during, and after the ark game. I think you're reading too much into an awful game.

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 11:44 AM
[url=https://postimg.cc/8jqy2vB3]They ran a ton before, during, and after the ark game. I think you're reading too much into an awful game.

Yeah - they run the ball a lot, with an NFL QB. That is the whole point. You can't simply fix an offense that doesn't run the ball in the SEC with a "better" QB. Without a running game, SEC defenses will make the air raid less than effective. IT can still work, but it is simply not consistently effective and no great QB is going to change that, no matter what anyone thinks. Not against good defenses.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 11:56 AM
Yeah - they run the ball a lot, with an NFL QB. That is the whole point. You can't simply fix an offense that doesn't run the ball in the SEC with a "better" QB. Without a running game, SEC defenses will make the air raid less than effective. IT can still work, but it is simply not consistently effective and no great QB is going to change that, no matter what anyone thinks. Not against good defenses.

It isn't working well vs non-sec defenses

Coach34
09-23-2021, 11:58 AM

This all day. 55-60 passes with 15 runs is never going to work in the SEC- no matter who the QB is

Coach34
09-23-2021, 11:59 AM
It isn't working well vs non-sec defenses

That should really tell you something

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 12:02 PM
This all day. 55-60 passes with 15 runs is never going to work in the SEC- no matter who the QB is

Can’t give rep but this all day.

SilentSteel16
09-23-2021, 12:03 PM

Just like with C34, can’t give rep but this is SPOT ON

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 01:14 PM

Is it a chicken or egg situation?

With a more mobile QB, with a stronger arm, wouldn't the defense be forced to play us differently, thus giving us better run looks?

Seems to me that as we stretch the field more, better run looks will be available

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 01:28 PM

With a more mobile QB, with a stronger arm, wouldn't the defense be forced to play us differently, thus giving us better run looks?

Seems to me that as we stretch the field more, better run looks will be available

Yeah, but that isn?t what this offense does.

Go back and watch any WSU or TT film, that?s not what the offense does. He looks for match ups and dunks and dunks his way down the field and occasionally hits you for a big play.

Big plays usually happen when someone misses a tackle or a team blitzes Leach and you go over the top (LSU last year)

Problem is that teams are running more and more 3-8. No matter what anyone says, I?ve watched the PAC -12 tape, he has not faced the 3-8 this consistently in his career. He has to make an adjustment. In the coaching game of chess, it?s his move.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but that isn?t what this offense does.

Go back and watch any WSU or TT film, that?s not what the offense does. He looks for match ups and dunks and dunks his way down the field and occasionally hits you for a big play.

Big plays usually happen when someone misses a tackle or a team blitzes Leach and you go over the top (LSU last year)

Problem is that teams are running more and more 3-8. No matter what anyone says, I?ve watched the PAC -12 tape, he has not faced the 3-8 this consistently in his career. He has to make an adjustment. In the coaching game of chess, it?s his move.

So many of these plays are either over the top or created by Minshew's mobility

https://youtu.be/EO7hBbM4Pvc

Coach34
09-23-2021, 01:53 PM

We won’t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That’s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it’s 3rd and 15. We can’t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn’t matter who plays QB for us

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 02:18 PM
We won’t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That’s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it’s 3rd and 15. We can’t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn’t matter who plays QB for us

I think you can close this thread up. Y'all may not like the answer, but this is the answer.

basedog
09-23-2021, 02:29 PM
I think you can close this thread up. Y'all may not like the answer, but this is the answer.

It's like a basketball game, defense is full court pressing with 3 or 4 players and we are throwing in to one guy who has to get the ball across the half court line. Not likely, all I would say to The Pirate is........SEC SEC SEC SEC. Totally different animal than the soft Big12 and Pac12.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 02:42 PM

Well... that's not encouraging.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 02:43 PM
It's like a basketball game, defense is full court pressing with 3 or 4 players and we are throwing in to one guy who has to get the ball across the half court line. Not likely, all I would say to The Pirate is........SEC SEC SEC SEC. Totally different animal than the soft Big12 and Pac12.

We have performed poorly compared to common opponents vs 3 of our last 4 opponents. None of them were P5, much less sec

msstate7
09-23-2021, 02:44 PM
We can say run more, but we only avg 2.72 per rush. We are terrible in every facet of offensive football

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 02:50 PM
We can say run more, but we only avg 2.72 per rush. We are terrible in every facet of offensive football

That is scheme. We are running some terrible run concepts right now that are very easy to fix. We also have several talented RB's that could really thrive in a run game where we only face 5 in the box, I think our OL would look better as well.

I just don't know if he is willing to adapt. I want to think someone as smart as Leach will adapt his offense to the defense he is seeing and especially incorporate running plays that can take advantage of the looks we are seeing.

Mullen changed his offense to Russell's skill set, even thought it wasn't in the best interest of his overall offensive success. He did adapt. Now, he went back to what worked once Dak was ready, but I always thought Dan did the right thing by changing the offense to account for Russell's skill set. Leach has to adjust his offense to account for the 3-8 defense. He simply has not done that yet. I think we have the talent to do that, the question is will we.

basedog
09-23-2021, 03:17 PM

It's pretty obvious why.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 03:22 PM
That is scheme. We are running some terrible run concepts right now that are very easy to fix. We also have several talented RB's that could really thrive in a run game where we only face 5 in the box, I think our OL would look better as well.

I just don't know if he is willing to adapt. I want to think someone as smart as Leach will adapt his offense to the defense he is seeing and especially incorporate running plays that can take advantage of the looks we are seeing.

Mullen changed his offense to Russell's skill set, even thought it wasn't in the best interest of his overall offensive success. He did adapt. Now, he went back to what worked once Dak was ready, but I always thought Dan did the right thing by changing the offense to account for Russell's skill set. Leach has to adjust his offense to account for the 3-8 defense. He simply has not done that yet. I think we have the talent to do that, the question is will we.

It would be great if leach would adapt, but he won't. Our only chance to improve this offense is find a true difference maker at qb and speed the offense up

HancockCountyDog
09-23-2021, 03:28 PM
It would be great if leach would adapt, but he won't. Our only chance to improve this offense is find a true difference maker at qb and speed the offense up

A difference maker at QB won't make a difference without a run game. I guess its possible we would beat teams like Memphis, but without a run game our ceiling is 7-8 wins, and looking at the schedule next year, i think its a ceiling of 6 wins.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 03:32 PM
A difference maker at QB won't make a difference without a run game. I guess its possible we would beat teams like Memphis, but without a run game our ceiling is 7-8 wins, and looking at the schedule next year, i think its a ceiling of 6 wins.

So if dak and Rogers were running this offense, no difference in performance and wins? You really believe that?

ETA... now this offense would still be inferior to Mullen's, but a better qb absolutely makes a difference. How big? I don't know

Commercecomet24
09-23-2021, 03:34 PM

Actually if you take out the sacks(which should never be included in rushing stats), we are averaging 4.4 a carry. Point is taken though that the run game needs to do more and we should be averaging more yards per carry anyway with defenses playing soft.

msstate7
09-23-2021, 03:39 PM
Actually if you take out the sacks(which should never be included in rushing stats), we are averaging 4.4 a carry. Point is taken though that the run game needs to do more and we should be averaging more yards per carry anyway with defenses playing soft.

Good call.

Marks 3.77 per
Johnson 5.27 per

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2021, 03:47 PM

And Johnson ran real well Saturday until he got dinged up. He was successful hitting the edge.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2021, 03:51 PM
Good call.

Marks 3.77 per
Johnson 5.27 per

I'm not sure it's good, lol.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2021, 03:53 PM
And Johnson ran real well Saturday until he got dinged up. He was successful hitting the edge.

Yeah Johnson, looked good and ran hard, he's tough and really gutted it out saturday cause he was hurting. Just wish we'd let him and marks run a little more, they're both really good backs.

basedog
09-23-2021, 04:19 PM
Yeah Johnson, looked good and ran hard, he's tough and really gutted it out saturday cause he was hurting. Just wish we'd let him and marks run a little more, they're both really good backs.

Especially in the 3rd quarter after interception and we were up 17-7.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2021, 05:33 PM

Maybe your evaluation was just off

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2021, 05:37 PM

The problem is not his arm strength. The problem is we are not tagging any deep shots till we have to and making Will throw it vs 8 guys dropping is not easy. Will missed on 3 or 4 passes but he is also the biggest reason we have done as well as we have.

Cowbell
09-23-2021, 05:40 PM
We won?t get any better run looks than what we are getting right now. As Bucky noted against La Tech- we were getting a Nose and two 9 techs. That?s a run look all day. Throwing against that front is stupid unless it?s 3rd and 15. We can?t possibly get any better run looks than we are getting right now.

A stronger arm is gonna do what exactly? The defense is dropping 8 players in coverage. We are playing 5 against 8. Until we force defenses to commit more defenders to the box or closer to the LOS- it doesn?t matter who plays QB for us

Thank you for spelling this out for people.

BuckyIsAB****
09-23-2021, 05:40 PM

If we hand it to Johnson on the goaline we score instead of running the pick play to Calvin. If Will would pull one or two zone reads we would score too. He isnt scared too, I believe he is coached to give it no matter what. I know he is. Just like he is coached to throw it vs 2 9s and if he checks to run he gets his ass chewed. Leach was abysmal in the red zone last week in my opinion. The two point plays were something we run over and over. Despite what anyone says, a majority of the time when Will checks it down there is nobody open. At all. He is not perfect he missed Polk for a TD that he ended up hitting later. But those are called tag shots. Leach is not giving him enough chances

Commercecomet24
09-23-2021, 05:58 PM
Especially in the 3rd quarter after interception and we were up 17-7.

Exactly. I honestly believe Johnson scores down there on the goal line. He reminds me a little of Aeris, always seems to be going forward and hard to bring down in those situations.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2021, 06:00 PM
If we hand it to Johnson on the goaline we score instead of running the pick play to Calvin. If Will would pull one or two zone reads we would score too. He isnt scared too, I believe he is coached to give it no matter what. I know he is. Just like he is coached to throw it vs 2 9s and if he checks to run he gets his ass chewed. Leach was abysmal in the red zone last week in my opinion. The two point plays were something we run over and over. Despite what anyone says, a majority of the time when Will checks it down there is nobody open. At all. He is not perfect he missed Polk for a TD that he ended up hitting later. But those are called tag shots. Leach is not giving him enough chances

Yeah we gotta run more often and take more deep shots to get the heat off of Will and open up some more throwing lanes for him. I agree we need more of those chances

Bothrops
09-23-2021, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up a transfer qb, if he was a previous starter in the SEC only.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2021, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up a transfer qb, if he was a previous starter in the SEC only.

I'm fine going with the Chad Kelly, KJ Costello model. Just go get highly rated, talented players that haven't done much at their school & offer them a change of scenery.

This works all the time in MLB. Find ability & coach it up.

Cowbell
09-23-2021, 11:07 PM
He was hurting from getting blown up on check downs. It's why i want to punch leach in the teeth when he runs them down in pressors. It's why I take up for Will on here. Our fans have to realize we need to give these young men a break because we are not utilizing them to the best of their abilities and it's not their fault. Our coach needs to improve before he expects our players to.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-24-2021, 01:48 AM
This isn?t going to end well for MSU.

Dawgfan77
09-24-2021, 06:32 AM
This isn?t going to end well for MSU.

Best thing we can hope for is if we are seeing this isn't going to work then so will leach. He is an arrogant SOB and isn't going to change. As much as it would suck to have to replace another coach after two years it's going to be almost necessary. Administration can't stand and watch him piss away some of the young talent we have currently playing.
And don't give me that shit who can we hire. We can make a good hire. I would even say that this year would be the best opportunity for us to make a change.

CaptainObvious
09-24-2021, 12:10 PM
It's not ideal

So you are saying 4 star QB that several Power 5 teams wanted isn?t good enough to play QB at State, while a 3 Star Freshmen from Denton Texas is good enough to start for the G5 team that just beat us? Got it. That ain?t talent evaluation or a QB unable to get it. That is a bullheaded Coaching staff that doesn?t want to give the True Freshman a chance. So I guess Robertson will be playing baseball in his hometown of Lubbock Texas next year because he sure ain?t beating out anyon me on States roster.

Dawgfan77
09-24-2021, 12:27 PM
So you are saying 4 star QB that several Power 5 teams wanted isn?t good enough to play QB at State, while a 3 Star Freshmen from Denton Texas is good enough to start for the G5 team that just beat us? Got it. That ain?t talent evaluation or a QB unable to get it. That is a bullheaded Coaching staff that doesn?t want to give the True Freshman a chance. So I guess Robertson will be playing baseball in his hometown of Lubbock Texas next year because he sure ain?t beating out anyon me on States roster.
Yo cap.... may need another user name. It ain't about talent bro it's about his willingness to do the things the right way it's about him caring more about baseball than football. I said not a thing about his talent. If he was committed to football he wouldn't be 4th string.

CaptainObvious
09-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Yo cap.... may need another user name. It ain't about talent bro it's about his willingness to do the things the right way it's about him caring more about baseball than football. I said not a thing about his talent. If he was committed to football he wouldn't be 4th string.

Yo Dawg... then why is he here? He didn?t sign a Football Scholarship at Mississippi State OVER his other offers if he really wanted to play baseball. He could have signed with 3 P5 universities in the State of Texas that take baseball very seriously in Tech, TCU, or Texas. Heck, Dallas Baptist takes baseball serious. So are you saying he really accepted a football scholly at a mid-level SEC school so he could be a reserve baseball player at said school?

Makes no sense.