PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatts Memphis Post Game Podcast

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 08:36 AM
I like Matt's podcast. Matter of fact, it is my go to podcast right now. Great stuff. But, I am going to have to disagree with his take on Will Rodgers in the Memphis game.

Now hang with me here. I am not here to say that Will is a bad QB or should be replaced. The kid is good. I have faith one day he is going to turn into a baller that not only plays at a higher level, but basically takes over games and gives us a shot to beat some heavily favored teams. Hopefully soon. But, when it comes to the Memphis game, his production, and the outcome, Will has to be better.

Matt basically stated that Will's stats almost had to be perfect to overcome the 17-20 points we left on the field or gave Memphis Saturday. I disagree. Stats don't me crap to me, other than 3 of them.
1. 3rd down conversions.
2. Turnovers
3. TDs scored.

If you look at Will's stat line and take out all the run extension passes, you might as well take 30 attempts and 200 yards off his stat line. If we can all agree, that those are extensions of the running game, well Will doesn't get credit for 75% of them.

Next, I would trade all of his other 5 yard completions for 2 additional TDs.

Will played pretty good in spots, but he didn't get the job done last Saturday. In this offense, he has to get the ball in the endzone, PERIOD. Everything else is window dressing.

Is this unreasonable, yes. Is it the reason we lost the game, yes. Is that fair, yes.

The entire team is responsible to keep them out of the endzone and for us to get into the endzone. But when one player directly controls 80% of the production, dude better come out slinging.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Don't even get me started on drops.

TrapGame
09-22-2021, 08:54 AM
I agree w/ most of that.

He completed a pass to Polk in the 1st half in double coverage. We have some WRs that can do that. Will has to trust his guys to make the play and quit holding on to the ball and getting DJ and Marks lit up on a 3 yard play.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 08:57 AM
Also, to be fair, he did throw a TD after the Pick but it was dropped. Perfectly thrown ball, I don't put that on him that is on the receiver.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 09:04 AM
Also, to be fair, he did throw a TD after the Pick but it was dropped. Perfectly thrown ball, I don't put that on him that is on the receiver.

That is true, but the ball got there late. 1/2 of a second earlier and dude doesn't have a guy draped all over him.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 09:05 AM

Agreed. It takes a team, but the buck stops with Will.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Either way, Will is my guy. Like I said, I don't care about stats, individual records, or whatever. All that matters is the scoreboard. Will and Company worked for almost an entire year to blow the season against Memphis. Hope they come out ready to 17n punch LSU in the balls.

Literally all of our season's goals still lies before us. We have 8 conference games. Let's see what we can do.
Again, it is 100% about us not the opponent. If we play for 60, and fight for every yard, and execute..... we win.
No more of this 30 minutes in the middle of the game where we are coasting.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 12:52 PM
That is true, but the ball got there late. 1/2 of a second earlier and dude doesn't have a guy draped all over him.

and like Leach said in his post game presser. If the ball wasn't rolled back there its 98% chance its an easy pitch and catch. "We had 82 good snaps out of 83." What do ya know the one bad one really cost us big time.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 12:53 PM
Either way, Will is my guy. Like I said, I don't care about stats, individual records, or whatever. All that matters is the scoreboard. Will and Company worked for almost an entire year to blow the season against Memphis. Hope they come out ready to 17n punch LSU in the balls.

Literally all of our season's goals still lies before us. We have 8 conference games. Let's see what we can do.
Again, it is 100% about us not the opponent. If we play for 60, and fight for every yard, and execute..... we win.
No more of this 30 minutes in the middle of the game where we are coasting.

That is a major tell tell sign of a young and inexperienced team.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 01:17 PM
and like Leach said in his post game presser. If the ball wasn't rolled back there its 98% chance its an easy pitch and catch. "We had 82 good snaps out of 83." What do ya know the one bad one really cost us big time.

Both excellent points. The snap was terrible, messing up the timing of the entire play, and our team hasn't learned to stomp on someone's neck yet. Someone needs to bring a box full of rattlesnakes into the locker room Saturday morning. Time to figure this out.

R2Dawg
09-22-2021, 01:21 PM
Agreed. It takes a team, but the buck stops with Will.

No the buck stops with Leach. He is the one getting paid 5mil a year.

Coach34
09-22-2021, 01:48 PM

But we arent young on offense. We start 8 Jr's and Sr's on Offense.

TrapGame
09-22-2021, 02:06 PM

Yeah, but the true sophomore QB just started his 8th game. We don't have experience at QB. That's a huge reason this offense isn't clicking.

msstate7
09-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Yeah, but the true sophomore QB just started his 8th game. We don't have experience at QB. That's a huge reason this offense isn't clicking.

So when we lose 4 olinemen this year, next year's excuse will be young on oline?

Coach34
09-22-2021, 02:35 PM

Johnson at LSU has fewer starts and a new OC. QB advantage to us this weekend

TrapGame
09-22-2021, 02:39 PM
So when we lose 4 olinemen this year, next year's excuse will be young on oline?

Johnson at LSU has fewer starts and a new OC. QB advantage to us this weekend

Whatever.

Carry on with The Agenda.

HancockCountyDog
09-22-2021, 02:43 PM
Whatever.

Carry on with The Agenda.

They make valid points.

Also how many starts had Relf had in 2009 before he wore the bears out? A lot less than Jevan Snead.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 02:43 PM
Both excellent points. The snap was terrible, messing up the timing of the entire play, and our team hasn't learned to stomp on someone's neck yet. Someone needs to bring a box full of rattlesnakes into the locker room Saturday morning. Time to figure this out.

Lol.... I out! I hate snakes, I'd be running like a little kid who still thinks monsters are under his bed.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 02:45 PM
No the buck stops with Leach. He is the one getting paid 5mil a year.

Yeah because on that play that Leach called would have been a TD if the players would have executed.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 02:48 PM

Okay? So, run with inexperience. It is well documented that our o-line is extremely inexperienced, and a lot of play makers on offense are freshman and sophomores MAINLY the QB which also is well documented that Leach's system needs a very experienced QB to run it well. We are seeing the side affects of youth and inexperience at every turn when it comes to our offense.

Maverick91
09-22-2021, 02:50 PM

Everyone got a do over year last year, unless they need the cash ( Josh Robinson) or get a great NFL scout grade. I would be very surprised if we lose all four.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Experience is over-rated. We need 17n difference makers. Give me Johnny Football in his first year as a starting D1 QB over anyone you can name.
We need ball players, ready to win games. Who gives a crap how many games you have played.

Until we have 22 guys that are ready to win and go out there and make the plays, it isn't going to happen.

We have what we have. These players need to take ownership.