PDA

View Full Version : Make your argument

Maverick91
09-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Since I am in the group of I really want Leach to succeed, but he has to prove it to me. I am going to take the side of we are so full of youth that we cannot get out of our way.

Looking at Memphis they didn't stop us not once during that whole first half. If we had to punt is was because we sputtered ourselves. We should have had 28 points in the first half.

On the game we had 9 penalties for 64 yards. In this offense with the way Will is playing we cannot get behind the 8ball. Nine times we got behind the 8ball, we fumbled once that lead to a TD.

Say what you want about the dink and dunk our average per pass was 6.7 yards, that is way more than enough to march down the field and score. Again penalties killed us.

Leach did bring up a good point in his presser, if we don't roll the ball back to Will on the 4th and goal we more than likely get that TD, mind you Polk caught the ball he just couldn't hold onto it when he landed on the ground. Leach said, since we rolled the ball back there then whos to say we don't roll the ball back on the field goal. He said we had 82 out of 83 good snaps, just on that one it was bad. youth!

All the above I blame youth and inexperience, outside of LaTech our oline has done a great job of pass pro. Especially with Will holding the ball for the entire "Gone with the Wind" movie before he throws it. I don't know how much more you could ask of them for pass pro.

What I don't understand and Leach alluded to it in his presser is that we need to try and go downfield more. Now that Leach has FINALLY brought that up I look forward to the forward pass taking place more next week. I really think Will is scared to throw it downfield. Way? IDK! I mean it is nice to see a 8-1 TD to INT ratio. But, I would rather have an 15-5 ratio honestly. Again I blame youth on this and there is LITERALLY no one who can beat Will at this point.

So, all the above, we are full of youth and until that youth grows the heck up we will continue to see this crap.

I can live with the above, if youth is the true issue.

What I cannot live with is Leach not know that the official was calling the punt dead that is sad on our whole staff level. I cant justify that at all. This is the one thing that truly bothers me from this past weekend.

Lord McBuckethead
09-20-2021, 10:58 AM
Agreed. If we are holding the ball for 4 seconds, we should be able to throw a 60 yarder, or how ever far Will can deliver it.

You almost always have to call a deep shot once every 20 throws just to keep their safeties thinking. It will open up the deep cut routes too if you pump fake the deep throw.

Also, we need to get our RBs to play the middle of the field on the dump off. Multiple times Sat we lined up two RBs and both went straight to the sideline. One running the wheel and the other waiting on the screen. What if one got a chip block on the DE first and then ran a flag? What if one goes for the chip block abd we hand it to the sweeping motion WR. Seems like a good play for our Tulu to get the ball.

Either way, we need to add 6 more plays to our 6 play playbook. Too easy to cover. Too easy to come up and tackle. And our RBs are paying the price.

Last thing, seeing as we only run 6 plays, it shouldn?t take 34 seconds to snap the ball. Get lined up, get the play called and snap the ball. Half of the time, we should be snapping the ball with 25 seconds to 30 seconds left on the clock.

We are giving defenses too much time to diagnose the play.

Rawdawg
09-20-2021, 11:10 AM
6.7 yards per pass is abysmal. If you complete 50 passes you should be approaching 600 yards of total offense.

Catfish
09-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Since I am in the group of I really want Leach to succeed, but he has to prove it to me. I am going to take the side of we are so full of youth that we cannot get out of our way.

Looking at Memphis they didn't stop us not once during that whole first half. If we had to punt is was because we sputtered ourselves. We should have had 28 points in the first half.

On the game we had 9 penalties for 64 yards. In this offense with the way Will is playing we cannot get behind the 8ball. Nine times we got behind the 8ball, we fumbled once that lead to a TD.

Say what you want about the dink and dunk our average per pass was 6.7 yards, that is way more than enough to march down the field and score. Again penalties killed us.

Leach did bring up a good point in his presser, if we don't roll the ball back to Will on the 4th and goal we more than likely get that TD, mind you Polk caught the ball he just couldn't hold onto it when he landed on the ground. Leach said, since we rolled the ball back there then whos to say we don't roll the ball back on the field goal. He said we had 82 out of 83 good snaps, just on that one it was bad. youth!

All the above I blame youth and inexperience, outside of LaTech our oline has done a great job of pass pro. Especially with Will holding the ball for the entire "Gone with the Wind" movie before he throws it. I don't know how much more you could ask of them for pass pro.

What I don't understand and Leach alluded to it in his presser is that we need to try and go downfield more. Now that Leach has FINALLY brought that up I look forward to the forward pass taking place more next week. I really think Will is scared to throw it downfield. Way? IDK! I mean it is nice to see a 8-1 TD to INT ratio. But, I would rather have an 15-5 ratio honestly. Again I blame youth on this and there is LITERALLY no one who can beat Will at this point.

So, all the above, we are full of youth and until that youth grows the heck up we will continue to see this crap.

I can live with the above, if youth is the true issue.

What I cannot live with is Leach not know that the official was calling the punt dead that is sad on our whole staff level. I cant justify that at all. This is the one thing that truly bothers me from this past weekend.

YOUTH !!

Will has only started eight or nine games. Give him a little more time.

TrapGame
09-20-2021, 11:38 AM
YOUTH !!

Will has only started eight or nine games. Give him a little more time.

Saturday was Will's 8th start and he's a true sophomore so I think we need to cut him a little slack. However, there are receivers open downfield on almost every play but Will hesitates. Those times he hasn't hesitated he's thrown for big gains. He hit Polk in double coverage Saturday. Polk high pointed the ball beautifully. Those throws are there. Will has to take them.

Coach34
09-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Saturday was Will's 8th start and he's a true sophomore so I think we need to cut him a little slack. .

Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

Add to the fact that Rogers is the son of a coach and ran some of this offense in HS- age is really not an excuse. His football intelligence is Sr level

Catfish
09-20-2021, 11:47 AM
Saturday was Will's 8th start and he's a true sophomore so I think we need to cut him a little slack. However, there are receivers open downfield on almost every play but Will hesitates. Those times he hasn't hesitated he's thrown for big gains. He hit Polk in double coverage Saturday. Polk high pointed the ball beautifully. Those throws are there. Will has to take them.

You're right.

Maverick91
09-20-2021, 11:49 AM
I really don't think the game has slowed down for him as of yet, as yall have stated this was his 8th start. 1 spring game and 8 starts to run an offense that needs a legit field general to run it. That's hard. But, yeah stop think and take the shots.

Maverick91
09-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

Add to the fact that Rogers is the son of a coach and ran some of this offense in HS- age is really not an excuse. His football intelligence is Sr level

Then why has the game not slowed down for him? He is clearly over thinking and not just reading and reacting as he should be. Does he just enjoy standing back there like a statue?

TrapGame
09-20-2021, 11:55 AM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

Are those guys all true sophomores?

dawgman15
09-20-2021, 11:59 AM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

What is the significants of these other schools having true sophomore QBs?

Rawdawg
09-20-2021, 12:01 PM
All but Seals have a better yards per attempt and yards per completion

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

There you go bringing facts and logic into opinions.

dawgman15
09-20-2021, 12:28 PM
What is the significants of these other schools having true sophomore QBs?

I just assumed you did your research. Connor Bazelak is a JR. Zack Calzada is a redshirt Sophomore. KJ Jefferson is a redshirt sophomore. The only other true sophomores playing in the SEC are Johnson, Seals, and Young

Coach34
09-20-2021, 12:36 PM
I just assumed you did your research. Connor Bazelak is a JR. Zack Calzada is a redshirt Sophomore. KJ Jefferson is a redshirt sophomore. The only other true sophomores playing in the SEC are Johnson, Seals, and Young

Bazelak is a R-Soph-

But all those are Sophs at the end of the day. You dont get 3 years to grow and make excuses. People expect results by your 2nd year in college ball. People been saying Nix at Auburn sux for 2 years. Why was he not given the young excuse his 1st 2 years? This season his QBR is higher than Rogers. He has 5 TD's to no picks. He completes 66% of his passes and doesnt throw mostly to RB's.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Much like some of y'all did with croom and SloMo y'all would rather die on a hill about a coach or player than see them truth about the state of our football program.
We are bad bad bad. We hired an offensive genius yet the best part of our team is defense.
I knew after the KY game in 18 SloMo wasn't the right hire. Well I'm 100% sure now after this Memphis game Leach ain't it either. We need leach to say ok I'm ready to head to key west because the look on his face on the sidelines and in interviews is a guy that's checked out mentally.

Santiago
09-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Much like some of y'all did with croom and SloMo y'all would rather die on a hill about a coach or player than see them truth about the state of our football program.
We are bad bad bad. We hired an offensive genius yet the best part of our team is defense.
I knew after the KY game in 18 SloMo wasn't the right hire. Well I'm 100% sure now after this Memphis game Leach ain't it either. We need leach to say ok I'm ready to head to key west because the look on his face on the sidelines and in interviews is a guy that's checked out mentally.

I do not recall any time in the past 20 years where we could quick strike, like we are starting to show. I hear you on your take but, I can also see freshmen and sophomores with skill sets we did not have in the past.
I still remember our receivers could not get separation in the spread and the griping on the site about our receivers.
The plays are there to make, and in a way we have not had before.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 12:56 PM
I do not recall any time in the past 20 years where we could quick strike, like we are starting to show. I hear you on your take but, I can also see freshmen and sophomores with skill sets we did not have in the past.
I still remember our receivers could not get separation in the spread and the griping on the site about our receivers.
The plays are there to make, and in a way we have not had before.

There's plays to be made by every team every Saturday. Didn't mean they are made. Geez! Agree skill position is better but we have issues that are related to bigger problems.
Look at the little things and see how bad this is. Like the fact we lead the SEC in penalties, we have our HC look like he doesn't give a damn.

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Leach?s demeanor on sidelines has always been that way as far as I?ve seen. Right or wrong, we knew that?d be the case when we hired him.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

4 run first offenses whose throw game is built off play action. The other two are surrounded by nothing but 5 and 4 stars. Will is having to do everything himself.

Santiago
09-20-2021, 01:22 PM
There's plays to be made by every team every Saturday. Didn't mean they are made. Geez! Agree skill position is better but we have issues that are related to bigger problems.
Look at the little things and see how bad this is. Like the fact we lead the SEC in penalties, we have our HC look like he doesn't give a damn.

Agree on the penalties. Seems one thing leads to another. Like holding the ball too long, puts those guys in a tough position to hold the blocks, etc. Then again we are just getting beat outright from the snap sometimes. I agree with your reasoning and always like your posts on here also.
I could be wrong but just seemed in the past 20 years we would see teams with quick strike abilities and wish we had that instead of QB up the middle. Just a reminder of how we could not get separation or plays to get the big plays. I see that every week now with us having several big plays each game.
IF we are still having the issues later in the season then my concern goes up. But usually Leach's teams get better through the season, so for that I want to see if we work out these issues and get in a rhthym.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 01:22 PM

The penalties, especially all the dead ball ones, bother me more than anything. And fumbles. I expected the offense to still struggle (I thought we all did) but the undisciplined play and not personal fouls and not running off the field, that is a bad sign

Coach34
09-20-2021, 01:30 PM
4 run first offenses whose throw game is built off play action. The other two are surrounded by nothing but 5 and 4 stars. Will is having to do everything himself.

Our WR group is top 3-4 in the SEC. Leach is very unlikely to have a better group on campus while in Sville

Johnson85
09-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Bazelak is a R-Soph-

But all those are Sophs at the end of the day. You dont get 3 years to grow and make excuses. People expect results by your 2nd year in college ball. People been saying Nix at Auburn sux for 2 years. Why was he not given the young excuse his 1st 2 years? This season his QBR is higher than Rogers. He has 5 TD's to no picks. He completes 66% of his passes and doesnt throw mostly to RB's.

Digging in when you're wrong is quite the tradition to uphold. Dak's progression from his RS JR to RS Sr. Season was abnormal. Him making a good jump during this RS sophomore year and into his RS Jr year really wasn't. Rogers is a true sophomore and you'd hope he will continue to get a lot better this year and through the off season. The reasons for pessimism are that he did get to play a lot last year and he was in a similar system in high school. And of course just that sometimes QB's stop getting better that I assume aren't because of work ethic and coaching problems; their decision making just doesn't get any better/faster.

An argument potentially in Will's favor is that he is doing a better job protecting the ball, so it's not like he's not getting better, he's just being overly conservative. But I'm not sure if he's doing better or if we are just playing much weaker competition.

Regardless, our OLine seems to have gotten better and our WRs have gotten better, and our RBs at least seem serviceable for air raid backs. Unless Leach has quit coaching, I don't know why we'd have trouble getting the air raid to work against Memphis and La Tech unless it's the QB play.

Johnson85
09-20-2021, 01:34 PM

There is a good argument that Will didn't have the weapons to do better last year. Our receivers look pretty good to me this year. Our RBs aren't very effective, but I don't think that's because they aren't good. Our OLine seems to be doing much better this year (or at least they are good enough to protect against G5 and NC St's DLine.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 01:46 PM
There is a good argument that Will didn't have the weapons to do better last year. Our receivers look pretty good to me this year. Our RBs aren't very effective, but I don't think that's because they aren't good. Our OLine seems to be doing much better this year (or at least they are good enough to protect against G5 and NC St's DLine.

Yea I meant zero running game, as compared to the other qb 34 prepared will to.

Jack Lambert
09-20-2021, 01:58 PM
Bazelak- Mizzou- Soph
Johnson- LSU - Soph
Young= Bama- Soph
Jefferson- UPig- Soph
Calzada- A&M- Soph
Seals- Vandy- Soph

How many of those guys are red shirt Soph? I know Jefferson is.

Maverick91
09-20-2021, 03:34 PM
The penalties, especially all the dead ball ones, bother me more than anything. And fumbles. I expected the offense to still struggle (I thought we all did) but the undisciplined play and not personal fouls and not running off the field, that is a bad sign

These are my biggest issues as of yet. If we weren't having these we would have won by 20 Saturday.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 05:00 PM
These are my biggest issues as of yet. If we weren't having these we would have won by 20 Saturday.
No one plays clean but we let two huge opportunities get away due to lack of coaching. One was an lack of hustle when two players didn't get off the field.
Second was How do you not, run the ball first goal from the three any time , then go for it on forth and not take points. Dumb coaching move.

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Agree on the penalties. Seems one thing leads to another. Like holding the ball too long, puts those guys in a tough position to hold the blocks, etc. Then again we are just getting beat outright from the snap sometimes. I agree with your reasoning and always like your posts on here also.
I could be wrong but just seemed in the past 20 years we would see teams with quick strike abilities and wish we had that instead of QB up the middle. Just a reminder of how we could not get separation or plays to get the big plays. I see that every week now with us having several big plays each game.
IF we are still having the issues later in the season then my concern goes up. But usually Leach's teams get better through the season, so for that I want to see if we work out these issues and get in a rhthym.
We can get decent skill players here and run an up tempo style. Air raid is not going to work here. Our best bet is to hire a young spread concepts with run elements built in. Run tempo With those concepts and still get skill guys
Not arguing with you here but there more to it than what we see 20 to 20. We just lack that kill element we need. I think we need to go back to a physical mind set.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 05:04 PM
No one plays clean but we let two huge opportunities get away due to lack of coaching. One was an lack of hustle when two players didn't get off the field.
How do you not, run the ball first goal from the three any, then go for it and not take points.

Especially when 23 averaged 7.0 yards per carry. It was stupid.

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 06:46 PM
Our WR group is top 3-4 in the SEC. Leach is very unlikely to have a better group on campus while in Sville

True again.

ScooterDog
09-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Some of you guys are dancing around the problem, but most of you in my opinion have nailed it. It all boils down to BAD COACHING, BAD COACHING, BAD COACHING. That's where the buck stops, does it not?

defiantdog
09-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Some of you guys are dancing around the problem, but most of you in my opinion have nailed it. It all boils down to BAD COACHING, BAD COACHING, BAD COACHING. That's where the buck stops, does it not?

Yes and no..... The team still has to buy to in. Understand the plays and the roles they have in each play. Joe and Leach's systems are completely different. And we have to rely on a lot of young guys. So there's going to be growing pains. But the coaches can't be over patient. You see a problem, you need to make a change. Our QB can't see the field, OL consistently miss assignments and get caught holding, receivers aren't hitting their spots (may be open, but not where the QB thinks they'll be), not comfortable with the playbook (plays take too long to snap and develop). We have a lot of problems and hopefully the coaches develop and the players buy in and adjust.

ImissCityBagel
09-20-2021, 11:44 PM
All of this just reeks of the Moorhead era. You know what you are seeing on the field is an abomination.......but you keep telling yourself:
-once he gets his players/qb
--once he changes the culture
-once he gets used to SEC defences
-once he starts acting like he cares on the sidelines
-x,y,z are good we just need to develop our players

I hope my gut feeling is wrong.