PDA

View Full Version : For those that blame Will, Will is what Leach wants

R2Dawg
09-19-2021, 08:37 PM
Can you imagine Shrader in this O but with liberty to run when needed? We would be potent but Leach didn't want that. He sent Shrader to WR. Shrader could throw it 5 yards but he would run for 20.

He don't want his QB to run, so that is why Will is the starter. Like it or not, that is the facts.

preachermatt83
09-19-2021, 08:42 PM
This is not close to the truth. It would be IF will took chances down feild. That’s a fact. He even said as much yesterday.

R2Dawg
09-19-2021, 08:49 PM
This is not close to the truth. It would be IF will took chances down feild. That’s a fact. He even said as much yesterday.

That is Leach throwing his QB under the bus. He says Will plays a good game all the time. If he don't like Will, guess what he can play someone else or guess what, he can coach Will to do something else. Leach gets what Leach coaches - he is the HC. HC make QB changes when their guy ain't doing what they want.

Homedawg
09-19-2021, 09:00 PM
That is Leach throwing his QB under the bus. He says Will plays a good game all the time. If he don't like Will, guess what he can play someone else or guess what, he can coach Will to do something else. Leach gets what Leach coaches - he is the HC. HC make QB changes when their guy ain't doing what they want.

I'm going to say this ONE more time, there is no charge to be made. The second guy is way behind Will. The third is way behind the second. The third is way way behind the second and the savior sawyer is well behind Greek. Is what it is. But we can start another thread saying sawyer should start the rest of the year.... it's coming before Saturday by people that have no clue

SailingDawg
09-19-2021, 09:28 PM
74.8 passing completion percentage. At least we're scoring, unlike the 3-2 years.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2021, 09:32 PM
Can you imagine Shrader in this O but with liberty to run when needed? We would be potent but Leach didn't want that. He sent Shrader to WR. Shrader could throw it 5 yards but he would run for 20.

He don't want his QB to run, so that is why Will is the starter. Like it or not, that is the facts.

Leach wants a better athlete & arm than Will.

preachermatt83
09-19-2021, 10:16 PM

No. I have eyeballs. I can see receivers running open down the field.

confucius say
09-19-2021, 10:20 PM

And put in who? Good grief.

Look I'm not happy with a lot of what leach is doing, but who would you like him to put in at qb?

Commercecomet24
09-19-2021, 10:25 PM
No. I have eyeballs. I can see receivers running open down the field.

It's not just you seeing it. Most of us are seeing it and Matt Wyatt's pointing out every week in his video review. It's crazy when Will is forced to have to make deeper throws, like when we're behind he's doing it, but other times he's just not getting it out on time or checking down to much. I appreciate him taking care of the ball but it's also bogging us down at times

TNDawg35
09-19-2021, 10:52 PM
It's not just you seeing it. Most of us are seeing it and Matt Wyatt's pointing out every week in his video review. It's crazy when will is forced to have to make deeper throws like when we're behind he's doing it but other times he's just not getting out on time or checking down to much. I appreciate him taking care of the ball but it's also bugging us down at times

THIS RIGHT HERE.... When Will HAS to push the ball down field, we see what happens, hence the late LA Tech and Memphis games. This is all on Will. He is holding the ball waiting for someone closer or whatever the hell he is looking for. He isnt reading stuff near as quick. Like i said the other day, go back and look at the 2 point conversion. He had DJ if he hits him as soon as DJ hits the flat. By the time he looked towards DJ, DJ was covered. A backer from Memphis saw DJ open and cut towards him. He was open and I will take DJ's up the field hard nose running any day against a backer running laterally to get those 3-4 yards needed.

Will can do it, and I think he could run this offense really well, IF HE WOULD JUST DO IT. That is the whole problem, well that and his arm strength. Will can make this offense work. He just has to push the ball downfield. Plain and simple. We start doing that, it will literally open up everything from the running game to the short passes.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2021, 10:58 PM
THIS RIGHT HERE.... When Will HAS to push the ball down field, we see what happens, hence the late LA Tech and Memphis games. This is all on Will. He is holding the ball waiting for someone closer or whatever the hell he is looking for. He isnt reading stuff near as quick. Like i said the other day, go back and look at the 2 point conversion. He had DJ if he hits him as soon as DJ hits the flat. By the time he looked towards DJ, DJ was covered. A backer from Memphis saw DJ open and cut towards him. He was open and I will take DJ's up the field hard nose running any day against a backer running laterally to get those 3-4 yards needed.

Will can do it, and I think he could run this offense really well, IF HE WOULD JUST DO IT. That is the whole problem, well that and his arm strength. Will can make this offense work. He just has to push the ball downfield. Plain and simple. We start doing that, it will literally open up everything from the running game to the short passes.

I honestly don't know what he's looking at or reading sometimes cause I can see guys open in space and then bang a check down or throw away. I think he's just being to cautious but if this is gonna work at some point he's gotta let it rip(like he does when we're behind!) i mean we scored 2 tds in 3 minutes when they were really playing prevent so you know the plays are there.

preachermatt83
09-20-2021, 12:35 AM

Exactly

preachermatt83
09-20-2021, 12:35 AM
I honestly don't know what he's looking at or reading sometimes cause I can see guys open in space and then bang a check down or throw away. I think he's just being to cautious but if this is gonna work at some point he's gotta let it rip(like he does when we're behind!) i mean we scored 2 tds in 3 minutes when they were really playing prevent so you know the plays are there.

Correct

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 06:37 AM
I'm going to make some controversial post here and feel free to do with it what you will...see what I did there...
Ok so yesterday I went and watched the game again, then looked at fourth quarter of NCST and some random plays from LA TECH. OL is not the problem. Are they great, hell no they are average but that's ok for what we need to get done. The issues are Will. Will is doing three things that are killing us. One. He holds the ball way way to long. He needs to make two reads and get it out. When he has done this the offense moves at a much better pace and we usually score. Two . It's apparent he is to scared to make those tight window throws. Wills arm ain't great but he can get it 20 yds down field, but he waits to long and by that time the open WR is now covered or in traffic. Third Will throws to the back either to soon, or to late. See screen passes as well. When he throws quickly he rushes the throw and back has to adjust to make catch or he has waited to late and the defense sees it and slams down hill for the tackle or massive hit. See Marks injury.
Yes we have been penalized on the OL but we throw it 60 times and for the most part will has had time. So sooner or later refs are gonna call holding.
We need a QB that's going to get the ball out quicker and will just ain't what we need. I'm hearing we will hit the Transfer portal hard this year. Take that for what it's worth.

Jack Lambert
09-20-2021, 07:11 AM

My question would Shrader be able to score TD's in the same span of time? You have to give Will credit for his ability to move the ball down field. When drives stall it's not on him. It's on those lineman who keeps making mistakes.
Also if we had healthy running backs on those two point conversions we might have gotten them.

smootness
09-20-2021, 07:30 AM

This is nonsensical. You are arguing that every QB who is playing is doing exactly what their coach wants. That is nonsense.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Look the problem with will is something that has be ingrained in him since he was about 10. His dad?s philosophy was ball security and live to play another down.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-20-2021, 08:47 AM
What harm would it be for Will to sit a series or two a game?

smootness
09-20-2021, 08:49 AM
What harm would it be for Will to sit a series or two a game?

What's the purpose of sitting him? If he's our best option and he needs to improve, then he needs to play.

Coach34
09-20-2021, 08:55 AM
I'm hearing we will hit the Transfer portal hard this year. Take that for what it's worth.

That's not any inside info or anything. Helen Keller can see we are going to do that

confucius say
09-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Look the problem with will is something that has be ingrained in him since he was about 10. His dad?s philosophy was ball security and live to play another down.

Well in his defense, it was plenty to coast us to a 31-17 win Saturday in a game we were favored by 3. The marks fumble scoop and score and punt return/missed call TD can't happen.

Maverick91
09-20-2021, 09:03 AM
One thought I have on a few points that have been brought up. People keep saying that Will is literally the only QB we have everyone else is so far behind him. If that is the case could it be that Leach is working with one hand behind his back? Meaning, he isn't going to go out into a press conference and say "look I get it. I wish any of my other QB's knew the offense like Will does because they would be starting in a heart beat." HECK NO, Leach is never going to do that. So, he has to make the statements that he makes, and keeps trying to coach Will to see the field better? I mean Leach cannot be out there making the throws and if there is NO ONE that is close to Will in knowledge of the scheme, Leach is just currently having to ride or die with Will?

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Finally got a chance to listen to Bart and Charlie's sunday morning coffee. They have a pretty good, middle of the road take on the offense. Start at the 20 minute mark to get past the official talk and on to the offense talk.

Depth of Target.......Polk 12.9; Heath 8.2; Walley 7.3.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 09:21 AM
The yards per attempt are right in line with past leach offenses.
What is killing us is penalties (particularly dead ball fouls like false starts, too many men on the field, and 57's personal foul) and fumbles. You can't get behind the chains in what essentially is a wishbone offense at this point in its installment here.
Be disciplined and Play clean and even though we aren't very good we are 3-0 coming off two double digit wins and we all feel better.

Coach34
09-20-2021, 09:58 AM
. You can't get behind the chains in what essentially is a wishbone offense at this point in its installment here.
Be disciplined and Play clean and even though we aren't very good we are 3-0 coming off two double digit wins and we all feel better.

a) It's def Wishbone 2020. We are dominating time of possession and being forced into double-digit play drives to score. Few explosive plays

b) Its interesting at how people look at things. Some people see us as a team that should be 3-0 that got a win stolen from us. While others see us as very lucky we aren't 1-2 with 2 bad losses to G5 teams.

Santiago
09-20-2021, 10:05 AM
I like Charlie's comment that maybe tell Will it is ok if you throw 2-3 Int's in a game if you are taking the shots downfield. Because then it is a 40 yard punt.

WinningIsRelentless
09-20-2021, 10:17 AM
Well in his defense, it was plenty to coast us to a 31-17 win Saturday in a game we were favored by 3. The marks fumble scoop and score and punt return/missed call TD can't happen.

Well from my view the fumble was on will. He didn?t put the ball in deep enough on the handoff.

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2021, 10:26 AM
a) It's def Wishbone 2020. We are dominating time of possession and being forced into double-digit play drives to score. Few explosive plays

b) Its interesting at how people look at things. Some people see us as a team that should be 3-0 that got a win stolen from us. While others see us as very lucky we aren't 1-2 with 2 bad losses to G5 teams.

....and defense and special teams played a large role in winning the NCSt game.

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2021, 10:29 AM
The yards per attempt are right in line with past leach offenses.r.

Yep. Which is why I don't get the piling on Will. Is he perfect? No. However, statistically he is performing at the same level as Minshew and others in this offense.

Rawdawg
09-20-2021, 10:46 AM
What makes the air raid successful is spacing and timing. When you don?t use the whole field you limit your space. When got hold the ball you mess up the timing.

Marks averaged 4.3 yards per catch last years. Marks is averaging exactly 4.3 yards per catch this year. Thats on the QB.

54% of Rogers completions are between Johnson, Marks, Polk and the walk-on back we played Saturday. The average yard per completion on those passes is 6.3. You can not play in a six yard box.

Rogers is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt and 8.87 yards per completion. The yards per attempt is second worst in the league behind Seals at Vandy.

Just thought I?d share this, do with it what you want.

TrapGame
09-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Will had receivers wide open vs NC State. Polk was so far open one play in the 4th quarter with his speed it would have been a race to the end zone. Saturday I'm watching them replay a previous play and notice Will had Austin Williams at the 1st down marker sitting in the middle of the zone wide ass open...and he dumps it to DJ for two yards. That can't happen. First, Will has to drop his nuts and start taking shots downfield. Second, he can't miss seeing a wide open receiver for an easy 1st down.

Irondawg
09-20-2021, 11:04 AM
Go watch the spring game and watch what Abraham sees as open vs what Will sees as open - running same playbook but you can see the personality difference in the qb.

I?d love to say being more aggressive is better but KJ was downright awful after the LSU game and his turnovers directly lost us games. Now at the same time it won the LSU game to start the season.

So was it KJ being terrible at reading a zone defense or something else. Will is definitely leaving a lot of plays on the field but you?ve still got to be smart with the ball

confucius say
09-20-2021, 11:18 AM

On B, that's true. I just see it as we played horrible against la tech with 4 turnovers and still won. We earned that late, we weren't handed the game by refs.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 11:22 AM
What makes the air raid successful is spacing and timing. When you don?t use the whole field you limit your space. When got hold the ball you mess up the timing.

Marks averaged 4.3 yards per catch last years. Marks is averaging exactly 4.3 yards per catch this year. Thats on the QB.

54% of Rogers completions are between Johnson, Marks, Polk and the walk-on back we played Saturday. The average yard per completion on those passes is 6.3. You can not play in a six yard box.

Rogers is averaging 6.6 yards per attempt and 8.87 yards per completion. The yards per attempt is second worst in the league behind Seals at Vandy.

Just thought I?d share this, do with it what you want.

Yards per attempt is useless when you throw it 60 times a game. It's like yards per carry for navy. If you run it 70 times a game like navy, 6 yards a carry is good. Same with us, you throw it every down, 6 yards an attempt is fine. The thing is navy doesn't have numerous false starts, fumbles, personal fouls, holds, etc to get behind the chains. Margin for error is small when you lack explosives.

Hot Rock
09-20-2021, 11:24 AM
It is interesting what you chose to see. Count me in the group that still thinks it can succeed but:

I see an offense that is not working very well. It's not that it won't work, it's that the guys running it can't do it. I think everyone has seen issues, they have been discussed but what I see is this:

Even the Croom years had play calls that should have worked. It wasn't the play call but the execution. Croom never could teach or recruit a QB to run his offense. He had five years and it never really got better. There is a big difference, Leach has taught his system for 20 plus years and taught it to multiple QB, WR & OL groups and had success. Yes, at other places but they were power five conferences. Memphis did not out athlete State, they didn't even outplay them. They got enough breaks to win a game they should not have won. Why did they have that chance?

Mississippi State's terrible offensive execution kept them in the game. That is one of the problems with the Leach offense, you can lose to people you have no business losing to when you don't execute it well. It's easy to line up and hand the ball off and run over these type teams but it's not so easy run this offense.

I still think it can work but I am not optimistic that it will. Every aspect has to improve. We better start seeing some results or there won't be any fans at the games. Mississippi State fans will go hunting / fishing / golfing instead.

Jack Lambert
09-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Really what can they do? Call them up and raise hell. They probably did that. Raise hell in public? Threaten to leave he SEC? There is absolutely nothing they can say or do that is going to change things. If you know let us know. It will never change. There will be other screwed up games for other SEC schools this season. Nothing will be done.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 11:39 AM
It is interesting what you chose to see. Count me in the group that still thinks it can succeed but:

I see an offense that is not working very well. It's not that it won't work, it's that the guys running it can't do it. I think everyone has seen issues, they have been discussed but what I see is this:

Even the Croom years had play calls that should have worked. It wasn't the play call but the execution. Croom never could teach or recruit a QB to run his offense. He had five years and it never really got better. There is a big difference, Leach has taught his system for 20 plus years and taught it to multiple QB, WR & OL groups and had success. Yes, at other places but they were power five conferences. Memphis did not out athlete State, they didn't even outplay them. They got enough breaks to win a game they should not have won. Why did they have that chance?

Mississippi State's terrible offensive execution kept them in the game. That is one of the problems with the Leach offense, you can lose to people you have no business losing to when you don't execute it well. It's easy to line up and hand the ball off and run over these type teams but it's not so easy run this offense.

I still think it can work but I am not optimistic that it will. Every aspect has to improve. We better start seeing some results or there won't be any fans at the games. Mississippi State fans will go hunting / fishing / golfing instead.

I agree with you. We are not good right now. I told us all last week Memphis would be a 3 point game and I didn't know who the winner would be. But we had a 3-0 start taken away from us. We prob go 5-7 now. That's the gut punch.

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 12:14 PM
This is nonsensical. You are arguing that every QB who is playing is doing exactly what their coach wants. That is nonsense.

That is not what I'm saying. That is stupid. You are taking a macro comment I made and making a micro comment which is stupid. Do you know the difference?

No one controls every single move of another player but at the end of the day he prepares them how he wants them to play. He recruits his players, coaches his players, every day, every play.

If Leach wants Will to take shots down field then guess what he can call a play and make him do it. Coaches do it all the time. Leach's thing is take what the D gives you which is dink and dunk his whole career.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-20-2021, 01:36 PM
I'm hearing we will hit the Transfer portal hard this year. Take that for what it's worth.

With our track record with transfer QB's is that necessarily a good thing?

Dawgfan77
09-20-2021, 02:36 PM
With our track record with transfer QB's is that necessarily a good thing?

Just being told that leach and co are all in on getting a transfer

BB30
09-20-2021, 03:17 PM

Reading defenses from a TV screen with nobody rushing you is exceptionally easy compared to taking a snap from center and reading a defense. Those guys you are seeing open up don't necessarily translate to what Will is seeing. Now, some guys are better at it than others obviously but to act like because we are seeing guys open downfield Will should be hitting those every time too is a little unrealistic. It should be happening more than it is but the kid is a sophomore.

I don't know if he is ultimately the answer moving forward into next year or not but if Sawyer is a distant 3rd right now we better be hoping someone transfers in or they find a stud in this recruiting class because he won't be anymore ready by next year than Will is now.

Commercecomet24
09-20-2021, 03:23 PM
Reading defenses from a TV screen with nobody rushing you is exceptionally easy compared to taking a snap from center and reading a defense. Those guys you are seeing open up don't necessarily translate to what Will is seeing. Now, some guys are better at it than others obviously but to act like because we are seeing guys open downfield Will should be hitting those every time too is a little unrealistic. It should be happening more than it is but the kid is a sophomore.

I don't know if he is ultimately the answer moving forward into next year or not but if Sawyer is a distant 3rd right now we better be hoping someone transfers in or they find a stud in this recruiting class because he won't be anymore ready by next year than Will is now.

I'm not saying everytime and have never said he should see them everytime, what I'm saying is he seems hesitant to make those throws until we are behind and have to take shots then somehow he's finding a way to make that happen. We scored twice within 3 minutes in the 4th quarter when they were playing prevent and Will somehow found the way to get the ball downfield then. And it's not just me seeing and saying. Check out Matt Wyatt's film study every week cause he's pointing it out too. And he's holding the ball way to long. This offense is made to get the ball out quick and he just aint doing it enough. Will has shown signs of being able to make this work(end of la tech game, second quarter against Memphis, 4th quarter against Memphis) but it has to be more consistent.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 04:13 PM

Sawyer is a distant fourth. Not third.

Rawdawg
09-20-2021, 06:23 PM
Yards per attempt is useless when you throw it 60 times a game. It's like yards per carry for navy. If you run it 70 times a game like navy, 6 yards a carry is good. Same with us, you throw it every down, 6 yards an attempt is fine. The thing is navy doesn't have numerous false starts, fumbles, personal fouls, holds, etc to get behind the chains. Margin for error is small when you lack explosives.

We are currently 120 out of 130 teams in yards per completion.

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 06:31 PM

I bet most or all of the teams behind us are running teams too. But it is all Will's fault.

Rawdawg
09-20-2021, 06:38 PM
I bet most or all of the teams behind us are running teams too. But it is all Will's fault.

Interpret the numbers however you want, I?m just presenting the information.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2021, 06:40 PM
I truthfully believe that, if Corral and Rogers switched team, MSU? offense would immediately be better than OM?s.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 06:41 PM

That sucks. Will always be bad, but has to be better.

Yards per attempt will always be low bc the very high number of attempts

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 06:42 PM
I truthfully believe that, if Corral and Rogers switched team, MSU? offense would immediately be better than OM?s.

One reason would be Corral will run. Bet Leach would bench him if he ran too much or he didn't take what the D gave him the check down Charlie. Corral would be less of a QB, I bet you that.

Homedawg
09-20-2021, 06:50 PM

This.... for the 100th time. But we should start him ****

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2021, 07:13 PM
One reason would be Corral will run. Bet Leach would bench him if he ran too much or he didn't take what the D gave him the check down Charlie. Corral would be less of a QB, I bet you that.

No. He'd be lighting up the field because his arm strength and deep accuracy would have the defense incredibly spread out

He'd dominate in this offense

BuckyIsAB****
09-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Leach wants a better athlete & arm than Will.

Yeah thats why he offered him twice basically. Spurrier flew to Brandon HS for him. Leach didnt do that for Gardner. Just saying

BuckyIsAB****
09-20-2021, 08:10 PM
That's not any inside info or anything. Helen Keller can see we are going to do that

Leach has done that every single year he has been anywhere so before yall throw Will to the fire remember that

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2021, 08:11 PM
Yeah thats why he offered him twice basically. Spurrier flew to Brandon HS for him. Leach didnt do that for Gardner. Just saying

Bad evaluation. It happens

BuckyIsAB****
09-20-2021, 08:17 PM

Yeah. You would know more about what Leach wants than him.

Ill remind you again, you are arguing with someone who knows significantly more about this than you. Not trying to ruin your day, I like you. You care. But this is not the hill to die on

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2021, 08:30 PM
Yards per attempt will always be low bc the very high number of attempts

That's not necessary true. Especially when you complete 70% and have a very large sample size. As a matter of fact, with Leach's offense it is a very good indicator of what's going on. I would bet Leach's offense throws the ball behind the LOS more than any in the country presently.

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 08:31 PM

And who made that evaluation?

R2Dawg
09-20-2021, 08:32 PM
Leach has done that every single year he has been anywhere so before yall throw Will to the fire remember that

Leach is gonna Leach. We have some ill informed fans.

smootness
09-20-2021, 08:58 PM
That is not what I'm saying. That is stupid. You are taking a macro comment I made and making a micro comment which is stupid. Do you know the difference?

No one controls every single move of another player but at the end of the day he prepares them how he wants them to play. He recruits his players, coaches his players, every day, every play.

If Leach wants Will to take shots down field then guess what he can call a play and make him do it. Coaches do it all the time. Leach's thing is take what the D gives you which is dink and dunk his whole career.

Your argument was that if Rogers isn't doing what Leach wants, he can coach him better or pull him. You could make that same argument for any QB anywhere who is playing. So whether you meant to or not, you were saying that every QB who is playing is doing what their coach wants.

If that's not what you intend to say across the board, then it also can't apply to Rogers.

CaptainObvious
09-20-2021, 09:04 PM

Well then this is extremely sad player evaluation that the number 2 QB in the State of Texas is running 4th at MSU while a relatively unknown QB at Denton Texas is a Freshman starter at the team that just beat us!

Somebody should be fired if Sawyer Robertson is 4th string and the true freshman QB at Memphis is starting on a 3-0 team.

confucius say
09-20-2021, 09:07 PM
That's not necessary true. Especially when you complete 70% and have a very large sample size. As a matter of fact, with Leach's offense it is a very good indicator of what's going on. I would bet Leach's offense throws the ball behind the LOS more than any in the country presently.

I meant in the leach system. When you throw it 60 times a game, the yards per attempt is going to be low. He historically is around 6.5 yards per attempt.

ShotgunDawg
09-20-2021, 09:13 PM
you guys are going round & round on these percentages, but there is a huge bottle neck on this team that, if fixed, makes everything work exactly how you want it to

Maroonthirteen
09-20-2021, 09:20 PM
He historically is around 6.5 yards per attempt.

Exactly. Because his offense throws a ton of screens of all variants. First play of the game was a called bubble screen, -2 yard attempt(completed).

Bdawg
09-20-2021, 09:35 PM
I'm going to make some controversial post here and feel free to do with it what you will...see what I did there...
Ok so yesterday I went and watched the game again, then looked at fourth quarter of NCST and some random plays from LA TECH. OL is not the problem. Are they great, hell no they are average but that's ok for what we need to get done. The issues are Will. Will is doing three things that are killing us. One. He holds the ball way way to long. He needs to make two reads and get it out. When he has done this the offense moves at a much better pace and we usually score. Two . It's apparent he is to scared to make those tight window throws. Wills arm ain't great but he can get it 20 yds down field, but he waits to long and by that time the open WR is now covered or in traffic. Third Will throws to the back either to soon, or to late. See screen passes as well. When he throws quickly he rushes the throw and back has to adjust to make catch or he has waited to late and the defense sees it and slams down hill for the tackle or massive hit. See Marks injury.
Yes we have been penalized on the OL but we throw it 60 times and for the most part will has had time. So sooner or later refs are gonna call holding.
We need a QB that's going to get the ball out quicker and will just ain't what we need. I'm hearing we will hit the Transfer portal hard this year. Take that for what it's worth.

I agree with most everything in here, but the OL is still about 30% of the problem IMO. Presnap penalties, crappy run blocking, poor stunt pickups, and flat out getting beat too much which leads to holding(and I'm not talking about after 3 seconds or more because those fall on Will). After watching the game again, I thought our line had a pretty good first half and a crappy second half. We only scored in the second half when Will had to force the issue and make quicker decisions in more of a hurry up mode. The line play was just not the same from the first half to the second. Now remember, I'm still only counting that as 30% of the problem. Now all the other things you said about Will are things I believe he must improve upon to make this offense really take a step forward. He's probably never going to have a big arm, but improving his decision making and getting he ball out quick and on time will make Will capable of running the offense. But it's time for him to open it up more and get away from so many check downs.

Bdawg
09-20-2021, 10:00 PM
you guys are going round & round on these percentages, but there is a huge bottle neck on this team that, if fixed, makes everything work exactly how you want it to

We still have OL issues that are not related to QB play. Will ain't the total problem.

Maverick91
09-21-2021, 10:57 AM
When the oline sucks it brings to bear the issues that Will has, when Will sucks it breaks to bear the issues that the oline has.

oline doesn't hold their blocks, it shows Will's lack of ability to make quick decisions.

When Will doesn't make quick decisions it forces the oline to either hold or get whipped.

I ultimately put this on Will. He is the "commander" out there and as such should be setting the town and holding the water for those that cannot as of yet. He has got to mature and mature fast if we are going to have any type of relevant season.

R2Dawg
09-21-2021, 11:41 AM
I meant in the leach system. When you throw it 60 times a game, the yards per attempt is going to be low. He historically is around 6.5 yards per attempt.

Yards per attempt is yards per attempt regardless of how many times you throw it. That is an average and takes out how many times you throw it. Sorry but simple math.