PDA

View Full Version : Malzhan is a monster coach but the difference between them & us

Coach 57
11-16-2013, 04:36 PM
One of the things I noticed after watching Auburn (offense) Vs ours is they actually have a FB/H-back. And boy is he a good one! I think that plus Malzhan's ability to scope out a defense. I actually think we have more talent than them (won't last long though). But 35 for Themis cutting down UGA backers, chipping DEs & sealing them and now the safeties for UGA seem skittish about taking him on down field. They had Lutz during their NC year too. We need a legit FB for us to keep Dak healthy. There isn't much difference between their base calls & ours. It just seems we show more WRs & TEs than they do. But credit Malzhan on an awesome job this year. He should be a LOCK for COY.

TopDog58
11-16-2013, 04:48 PM
He's not building their program right. You are supposed to be able to dominate the SWAC and Sun Belt before you worry about signature wins.

MetEdDawg
11-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Dude was a beast for us.

I like Auburn's style of offense way better that ours. Ours is so slow and methodical and that doesn't work with the spread. Good spread teams move fast not slow. We've got the horses to be a spread running team that runs up tempo and I really wish we would do that. We need to start trying to beat people to the point of attack with speed in terms of players and speed in terms of getting a play off.

The other thing Auburn does is they use a lot of motion. You've got guys faking speed sweeps, TEs motioning across then pulling. Auburn has so much movement that it's tough to dissect what they are going to do. We run Perkins out of the slot into the backfield, let him jump for 3 seconds, then call a play. We are just too slow in everything we do and if we are going to be a spread team we HAVE to incorporate that more into our offense.

It's all about getting athletes the ball in space and making defenses make quick decisions. Auburn's read options develop so quickly and happen so fast and ours take a ton of time to develop and are easily dissected because of that. We've got to adapt our way of thinking because it is a complete and total myth that you have to run the football at a slow pace in the SEC to control the football. Score 35 points a game and run it 50-60 times and you will control the hell out of the clock.

donald igwebuike
11-16-2013, 04:56 PM
One of the things I noticed after watching Auburn (offense) Vs ours is they actually have a FB/H-back. And boy is he a good one! I think that plus Malzhan's ability to scope out a defense. I actually think we have more talent than them (won't last long though). But 35 for Themis cutting down UGA backers, chipping DEs & sealing them and now the safeties for UGA seem skittish about taking him on down field. They had Lutz during their NC year too. We need a legit FB for us to keep Dak healthy. There isn't much difference between their base calls & ours. It just seems we show more WRs & TEs than they do. But credit Malzhan on an awesome job this year. He should be a LOCK for COY.

and and Jackie back in 95/96.........

hacker
11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
and and Jackie back in 95/96.........

He's not building their program right. You are supposed to be able to dominate the SWAC and Sun Belt before you worry about signature wins.

Every single ****ing thread devolves into this sarcastic bullshit. It's so tired and annoying.

Coach 57
11-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Every single ****ing thread devolves into this sarcastic bullshit. It's so tired and annoying.

You and me both man.

hacker
11-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Man, I'd love to have Hanrahan back. I want to get back to that bruising running game we used to have.

And thanks Coach for having original thoughts of your own and posting them. I'm sorry that it was ruined by people who just regurgitate the same sarcastic talking points in every thread, contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion.

dawgs
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
I like Auburn's style of offense way better that ours. Ours is so slow and methodical and that doesn't work with the spread. Good spread teams move fast not slow. We've got the horses to be a spread running team that runs up tempo and I really wish we would do that. We need to start trying to beat people to the point of attack with speed in terms of players and speed in terms of getting a play off.

The other thing Auburn does is they use a lot of motion. You've got guys faking speed sweeps, TEs motioning across then pulling. Auburn has so much movement that it's tough to dissect what they are going to do. We run Perkins out of the slot into the backfield, let him jump for 3 seconds, then call a play. We are just too slow in everything we do and if we are going to be a spread team we HAVE to incorporate that more into our offense.

It's all about getting athletes the ball in space and making defenses make quick decisions. Auburn's read options develop so quickly and happen so fast and ours take a ton of time to develop and are easily dissected because of that. We've got to adapt our way of thinking because it is a complete and total myth that you have to run the football at a slow pace in the SEC to control the football. Score 35 points a game and run it 50-60 times and you will control the hell out of the clock.

been saying that for years. i thought mullen would go that direction as he got more players to fit the offense in the program, but it seems like we are going slower than ever. we are top 25 or so in yds per play, but bottom 25 or so in tempo. why we don't try to play to our strength and get off more plays boggles my mind. and we could probably average more yds per play if we kept Ds off balance and tired by going uptempo. instead we let them make their subs, line up how they please, and catch their breath between plays, and still put up solid yds per play.

dawgs
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM

been saying that for years. i thought mullen would go that direction as he got more players to fit the offense in the program, but it seems like we are going slower than ever. we are top 25 or so in yds per play, but bottom 25 or so in tempo. why we don't try to play to our strength and get off more plays boggles my mind. and we could probably average more yds per play if we kept Ds off balance and tired by going uptempo. instead we let them make their subs, line up how they please, and catch their breath between plays, and still put up solid yds per play.

Todd4State
11-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Dan not recruiting a FB/H-back like a Hanrahan has really hurt us a lot. I'll admit- I used to think we could get walk-ons to fill the Hanrahan role- and boy was I wrong.

MC had a kid named Hugh Warren who would have been a perfect fit for that role for us, and I think he would have come to MSU if we offered him even though he is an Ole Miss fan.

Coach 57
11-16-2013, 06:34 PM
I always thought Christian Holmes could've filled that roll if they had put more weight on him. He LOVES to hit!

MetEdDawg
11-16-2013, 06:41 PM
He's destroying people at the point of attack. Whenever we line up two in the backfield with the QB, it's another RB. J Rob, Perkins, Griffin, and Shumpert should not be blocking for each other on a consistent basis, but they do in our offense. That's bad coaching in my opinion. Get a guy like Samuel in the backfield and let him smash people at the point of attack.

When we spread things out at run toward the hashes, we count too much on our OL and TEs (at the line of scrimmage) getting outside to block people. But watch when Auburn runs outside. They line up Prosch in the backfield in an H back position, have a slot WR off the line, and all of this allows the blockers to get more forward motion toward the outside point of attack. We rely way too much on lateral motion to the point of attack and that clogs up our running lanes and leaves fewer holes. That's why we see so much dancing from our RBs outside the tackles because we don't get enough forward motion toward the point of attack to create lanes for the RBs.

hacker
11-16-2013, 07:25 PM
And Georgia wins.