PDA

View Full Version : Why do SEC refs hate us SO MUCH.??...

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 07:37 PM
to the point that they would screw us out of a game against a G5 non-conference team? I mean first you allow an illegal TD where we had downed the ball AND the ref was blowing the play dead with his bean bag thrown and his arms waving overhead AND the Memphis punt return team had 2 number 4s out on the play. Plus you don't even initiate a review? Yes, even with all of that, you come back and finish the job by first making a non-existent illegal touching call on our onside kick recovery but during the review, instead of giving us the ball back to us which 100% of everyone expected, you make up an illegal blocking call to keep from having to overturn the call for us. And a block is not even supposed to be reviewable anyway! The block they called I guess was the Memphis guy running into the back of our kicker while going for the ball. Just a total screw job to the nth degree. In watching 40 years of MSU football that game was the worst I've seen as far as getting totally jobbed by SEC officials (and that's saying something). That game looked like something you would see in a Jr. high game given the level of bias to screw us out of a game.

I have come to expect getting hosed when we play the SEC power teams but now we can't even get a fair call playing non-conference games? I mean who really knows who SHOULD have won that game because they refs totally took it out of the players' hand and decided it on their own.

IMissJack
09-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Because the way MSU approaches football is an embarrassment to the rest of the conference. We might as well make it a club sport like frisbee golf, because that is the difference between us and the top 7 in the SEC, and it is about to get worse with TX and OU.

Bothrops
09-18-2021, 08:19 PM
It's not just refs, it's the whole sports media as well. We don't have a dog in any hunt is all I can figure.

Todd4State
09-18-2021, 08:24 PM
I think it's because we ALWAYS take the high road. It's always don't blame the officials we should have made more plays!

Tonight is more on the officials.

IMissJack
09-18-2021, 08:24 PM
Every other SEC school except Vandy (and they don’t have to) treats athletics as a business and football as their rainmaker. We do not, and appear to be doing so willingly.

Travelingdawg
09-18-2021, 08:25 PM
They don?t hate us, they love making calls against us. The head ref was enjoying it.

TheLostDawg
09-18-2021, 08:26 PM
SEC network showed clips of our game. Show the punt and say it's on us for not being aware, I'm not saying we did everything right, but left out the official waving and blowing the whistle. Didn't mention guys with the same number on the field. Also showed the last onside kick, not the one we got screwed with. They don't care about us. Unless Cohen raises hell, this will just keep happening but it will probably keep on ether way.

TheLostDawg
09-18-2021, 08:26 PM
And abc just did the same thing pretty much.

Todd4State
09-18-2021, 08:28 PM
Aware of what? We downed the ****ing ball.

IMissJack
09-18-2021, 08:30 PM
And abc just did the same thing pretty much.

ABC=ESPN. Same company

TheLostDawg
09-18-2021, 08:34 PM
And I wonder if Leach would have challenged the punt they would have called a flag for two players with the same number on the field like they called a penalty on us after the kick off review

TheLostDawg
09-18-2021, 08:35 PM
to the point that they would screw us out of a game against a G5 non-conference team? I mean first you allow an illegal TD where we had downed the ball AND the ref was blowing the play dead with his bean bag thrown and his arms waving overhead AND the Memphis punt return team had 2 number 4s out on the play. Plus you don't even initiate a review? Yes, even with all of that, you come back and finish the job by first making a non-existent illegal touching call on our onside kick recovery but during the review, instead of giving us the ball back to us which 100% of everyone expected, you make up an illegal blocking call to keep from having to overturn the call for us. And a block is not even supposed to be reviewable anyway! The block they called I guess was the Memphis guy running into the back of our kicker while going for the ball. Just a total screw job to the nth degree. In watching 40 years of MSU football that game was the worst I've seen as far as getting totally jobbed by SEC officials (and that's saying something). That game looked like something you would see in a Jr. high game given the level of bias to screw us out of a game.

I have come to expect getting hosed when we play the SEC power teams but now we can't even get a fair call playing non-conference games? I mean who really knows who SHOULD have won that game because they refs totally took it out of the players' hand and decided it on their own.

Did you not watch the BYU game

Bothrops
09-18-2021, 08:37 PM
They don?t hate us, they love making calls against us. The head ref was enjoying it.

They hate us. What more evidence do you need?

NCDawg
09-18-2021, 08:39 PM
Why didn't Leach raise hell about the ball being dead when the Referee blew his whistle. I would think calling timeout and asking the referee for a review would have been appropriate. Looked as if he was unconcerned and was talking to Rogers.

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 10:20 PM

Same difference.

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 10:23 PM
Did you not watch the BYU game

Yea, that was unusual though because we were a garbage team and BYU still had a chance at the BCS championship game which would have meant millions and millions to their school. Sort of a special circumstance.

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 10:25 PM
Why didn't Leach raise hell about the ball being dead when the Referee blew his whistle. I would think calling timeout and asking the referee for a review would have been appropriate. Looked as if he was unconcerned and was talking to Rogers.

I guess Matt Brock should have been the one raising hell since he is our special teams coach. Leach was apparently trying to straighten out our offensive issues and didn't even see the play.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2021, 10:25 PM
Today

Bama in 2018 with the no fumble review & phantom offensive PI

Ridley running out of bounds.

Game changes missed call are adding up against us & I don't understand why this keeps happening

Extendedcab
09-18-2021, 10:28 PM
Then lets do something about it!! Stop your bitching if you are not going to raise hell with the:

NCAA
SEC
MSU

I did, I just wrote all of these sorry SOBs!

BrunswickDawg
09-18-2021, 10:32 PM
Then lets do something about it!! Stop your bitching if you are not going to raise hell with the:

NCAA
SEC
MSU

I did, I just wrote all of these sorry SOBs!

That's about as effective as writing your Congressman

NCDawg
09-18-2021, 11:27 PM
I guess Matt Brock should have been the one raising hell since he is our special teams coach. Leach was apparently trying to straighten out our offensive issues and didn't even see the play.

It was Leach's responsibility. He should be aware of what all is going on in the game. Guarantee Saban would have been raising hell.

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 12:23 AM
It was Leach's responsibility. He should be aware of what all is going on in the game. Guarantee Saban would have been raising hell.

SEC refs would have never done that to Bama so its kind of irrelevant what Saban would do.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2021, 06:15 AM
Yea, that was unusual though because we were a garbage team and BYU still had a chance at the BCS championship game which would have meant millions and millions to their school. Sort of a special circumstance.

Those were Mountain West officials protecting their team. Pretty much the opposite of what happened to us.

Apoplectic
09-19-2021, 06:46 AM
SEC refs would have never done that to Bama so its kind of irrelevant what Saban would do.

Not sure i agree with this. I think saban gets the better crews for big games to avoid the media backlash when they screwup. Aub got the diverse crew because of national exposure. We no doubt got the D string. Bottom line - we have to be prepared to challenge their incompetence

Bothrops
09-19-2021, 07:01 AM
Not sure i agree with this. I think saban gets the better crews for big games to avoid the media backlash when they screwup. Aub got the diverse crew because of national exposure. We no doubt got the D string. Bottom line - we have to be prepared to challenge their incompetence

Lol this was a shaft job, not incompetence. When reviewing the onside kick they start an egg hunt for a penalty, and come up with block in the back, on you know who. They were showing us they were screwing us. I don't know if they were paid to botch the game, but it was a deliberate action by members of this crew. They showed as much on the punt return.

lastmajordog
09-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Dick Pace approves this thread......

https://youtu.be/DocxZM1lQEg

Apoplectic
09-19-2021, 08:47 AM
Lol this was a shaft job, not incompetence. When reviewing the onside kick they start an egg hunt for a penalty, and come up with block in the back, on you know who. They were showing us they were screwing us. I don't know if they were paid to botch the game, but it was a deliberate action by members of this crew. They showed as much on the punt return.

I would be more impressed if they had the competence to pull that off. This cluster17
Would not have been possible unless we also contributed and we obliged. Blowing someone up on an onside attempt is reviewable just like targeting.

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 09:55 AM

Yep, anyone who believes its just random incompetence with SEC refs that ALWAYS results in screwing us then you must also believe in fairies and unicorns. I challenge anyone who believes that to name anything close to this of screw job be called IN OUR FAVOR by an SEC crew ever?

NCDawg
09-19-2021, 12:15 PM
Dick Pace approves this thread......

Not quite as bad as the Dick Pace call, which was the worst call in the history of college football, but the call was terrible. Guess we must not have spotters in the booth to tell the coach what happened. Somebody should have spotted two number 4's for Memphis. Reminds me of the call in Tuscaloosa during the Moorhead era when the Alabama RB fumbled at the start of the game, the referees ruled the runner was down, and the announcers said the ball was out before he was down and the play should be challenged. Clearly you could see on the replay that the ball was out before the runner was down. The State players came out cheering that they recovered the fumble, but Moorhead didn't challenge and Alabama maintained possession. Of course the play may not have mattered that much since Alabama beat the heck out of us, but it was definitely a missed call.

Bothrops
09-19-2021, 02:50 PM
I would be more impressed if they had the competence to pull that off. This cluster17
Would not have been possible unless we also contributed and we obliged. Blowing someone up on an onside attempt is reviewable just like targeting.

I never saw it. Did you see the infraction?

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 03:00 PM
Who did they actually call the illegal block on during the onside kick? Was it the kicker or somebody else?

NCDawg
09-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Who did they actually call the illegal block on during the onside kick? Was it the kicker or somebody else?

I could be wrong, but it appeared to be no. 34.

Bothrops
09-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Shaft job.

grinnindawg
09-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Guy to the left of the kicker. It looked like he hit the guy before the ball went 10. Is that reviewable?

As to why it happens to us, the need to feel superior to "that group of people over there" is baked into all humans. Mississippi is an easy target for that basic drive. State fits the bill for a lot of folks too. I've run in to it numerous times in my engineering career. It's funny to me now in that arena. It affects nearly all aspects of life. To me, the ref looked a bit pleased making some of the calls.

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 03:47 PM
Guy to the left of the kicker. It looked like he hit the guy before the ball went 10. Is that reviewable?

As to why it happens to us, the need to feel superior to "that group of people over there" is baked into all humans. Mississippi is an easy target for that basic drive. State fits the bill for a lot of folks too. I've run in to it numerous times in my engineering career. It's funny to me now in that arena. It affects nearly all aspects of life. To me, the ref looked a bit pleased making some of the calls.

Just can't figure out why SEC refs want to shaft an SEC team playing an OOC G5 team? Everything about that is negative for the SEC. Pretty decent chance that hose job yesterday will keep us out of a bowl game which certainly doesn't help the league. At least when we get jobbed against Alabama and the other SEC elites it makes more sense that the league wants to protect their teams that have a chance to get into the playoff.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2021, 03:50 PM
Not quite as bad as the Dick Pace call, which was the worst call in the history of college football, but the call was terrible.

I think this was much worse than the Dick Pace call.

the Dick Pace call was a judgement call. This was an administrative error, which is much much worse

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2021, 03:52 PM
Just can't figure out why SEC refs want to shaft an SEC team playing an OOC G5 team? Everything about that is negative for the SEC. Pretty decent chance that hose job yesterday will keep us out of a bowl game which certainly doesn't help the league. At least when we get jobbed against Alabama and the other SEC elites it makes more sense that the league wants to protect their teams that have a chance to get into the playoff.

the entire situation makes no sense.

I haven't a clue why our full coaching staff + the refs didn't recognize that at very least it was an odd play that needed to be reviewed in detail. I can't fathom that part of it

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 04:11 PM
the entire situation makes no sense.

I haven't a clue why our full coaching staff + the refs didn't recognize that at very least it was an odd play that needed to be reviewed in detail. I can't fathom that part of it

I put this one though under direct SEC officiating bias against MSU. That back judge knew good and well he had called that play dead. Why would there need to be a review to show something that the ref himself already knew had happened? He just didn't enforce his own call because he saw the result of letting it go was going to help Memphis and hurt MSU. Sometimes the most obvious explanation is the correct explanation. Now why he would be biased against the SEC school as an SEC ref is the real mystery.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2021, 04:16 PM
I put this one though under direct SEC officiating bias against MSU. That back judge knew good and well he had called that play dead. Why would there need to be a review to show something that the ref himself already knew had happened? He just didn't enforce his own call because he saw the result of letting it go was going to help Memphis and hurt MSU. Sometimes the most obvious explanation is the correct explanation. Now why he would be biased against the SEC school as an SEC ref is the real mystery.

Something certainly seems rotten in the state of Denmark

maroonmania
09-19-2021, 04:26 PM

SEC officiating is the epitome of the good ol' boy system where most of them have huge connections to the big time SEC schools and definitely want to keep the 'have nots' in their place. I know the ref that screwed us on the Ridley out of bounds call in 2017 was a bank manager in Alabama that is the son of a former Alabama QB. There are guys with those kind of built in biases littered throughout the SEC crews. I think the only way you are restricted from calling a game is if you actually went to school at one of the schools involved.

DeltaChicagoDog
09-19-2021, 04:32 PM

Unfortunately, with Texas and Oklahoma coming into the SEC, we do little to expand or enhance the SEC brand. Someone with more knowledge could maybe confirm or deny this, but outside of Vandy (which has an excellent academic reputation) our AD may offer the least in terms of revenue, viewership, investment and fan support other than baseball. Yet we still receive an equal share of the espn revenue. If other schools perceive us as a W to prop up their own record, what is the SEC's incentive to protect MSU's interests? SEC only seems to "mean more" for the top tier teams.

redstickdawg
09-19-2021, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately, with Texas and Oklahoma coming into the SEC, we do little to expand or enhance the SEC brand. Someone with more knowledge could maybe confirm or deny this, but outside of Vandy (which has an excellent academic reputation) our AD may offer the least in terms of revenue, viewership, investment and fan support other than baseball. Yet we still receive an equal share of the espn revenue. If other schools perceive us as a W to prop up their own record, what is the SEC's incentive to protect MSU's interests? SEC only seems to "mean more" for the top tier teams.

If the SEC were to limit the folks that have a second level connection to Bama (son of a former player, etc) that would eliminate ~85% of the crews****. THe SEC needs to be moved off of Bama's eastern campus.

DeltaChicagoDog
09-19-2021, 08:45 PM
If the SEC were to limit the folks that have a second level connection to Bama (son of a former player, etc) that would eliminate ~85% of the crews****. THe SEC needs to be moved off of Bama's eastern campus.

For sure. OU and UT will go along and get along nice and amicably for a while, but it's only a matter of time before their fanbases and AD/coaches call bullsh*t and begin peddling their own interests with a heavy hand. I could even imagine them wanting to move or build a satellite SEC office that's closer to OK/TX.

lastmajordog
09-20-2021, 09:12 AM
del

Extendedcab
09-20-2021, 09:20 AM
For sure. OU and UT will go along and get along nice and amicably for a while, but it's only a matter of time before their fanbases and AD/coaches call bullsh*t and begin peddling their own interests with a heavy hand. I could even imagine them wanting to move or build a satellite SEC office that's closer to OK/TX.

Mississippi is closer and more central to all states! :D