PDA

View Full Version : What all went wrong on punt TD

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 07:28 PM
1. First two #4 players on field for Memphis - no call, no flag, nothing on replay either. Didn't Mullen's staff call that on OM and refs corrected?

2. Second MSU player downed ball with knee on the ground - ball is dead. 4 MSU players stood there and watched it along with ref.

3. Ref throws bag and raises arm - dead ball. He should have been chasing the defender blowing the whistle stopping play but did nothing. He was closest official on the ball and had full authority of the play not an official 50 yards away.

4. In the meantime, Leach does nothing. He don't protest, ask for review, call TO, nothing. He is over talking to Will because he only coaches QBs not the whole team. Can you imagine Jackie or Mullen after that play? I can

5. While in Bamaingham, our SEC replay guy says hotty toddy and cheers for Memphis TD. How do you not replay that TD?

There should be a public display of the corruption over this game. We didn't play well but we played barely good enough to win just call that play correct. I have no issue losing today but not like that.

Quaoarsking
09-18-2021, 07:37 PM
Apparently Leach didn't know about #2 or #3. (And #1 either for that matter.)

Not sure why nobody told him.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 07:43 PM

Well he should be watching the game, the review, listening to players and coaches that did see it. We have guys in the press box and people watching all kind of replays.

When is Leach going to be held accountable for anything? This is his team, his O, his plays, his QB, his OL, his everything. If it ain't working it is his job as HC making 5 mil a year to fix it. In a year and half it ain't working.

I want him to fix it because if he don't we will be Croomtasically leveled our program to ground zero.

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 07:44 PM

He shouldn't have to know. SEC officials jobbed us in that game like you would see in some backwoods HS game where the refs just hate one particular school.

Quaoarsking
09-18-2021, 07:47 PM

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 07:49 PM
First question I ask if I am HC and Leach is what happened on that play? We had is down? Players coaches and everyone would quickly give him the answer. If Leach didn't know, he didn't want to know.

Apoplectic
09-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Replay sucks but I?m pretty sure they Memphis had players run on the field too because they thot it was dead ball

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Why would the freaking SEC refs on the field or the replay booth not initiate a review on a play obviously so controversial? It only makes sense to me if the SEC wants to screw us over which I have now come to believe they do.

SailingDawg
09-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Did Leach make any comments in the press conference? I assume he didn't.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Replay sucks but I?m pretty sure they Memphis had players run on the field too because they thot it was dead ball

Didn't think about that but probably true.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Why would the freaking SEC refs on the field or the replay booth not initiate a review on a play obviously so controversial? It only makes sense to me if the SEC wants to screw us over which I have now come to believe they do.

Agree. No excuse other than they purposefully wanted to screw us. No other excuse/reason.

HoopsDawg
09-18-2021, 07:58 PM

out of everything that happened, that play not getting reviewed may be the worst of them all.

well that and the puss who waived the play dead.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 08:00 PM
Did Leach make any comments in the press conference? I assume he didn't.

Yeah, I'd like to know what he has to say about that one play. Now he knows and he should dare the SEC to fine him over making comments about it.

Should be like Stans after UK that year. Loved that about Stans always standing up for MSU against the SEC and their bias with the blue bloods.

HoopsDawg
09-18-2021, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I'd like to know what he has to say about that one play. Now he knows and he should dare the SEC to fine him over making comments about it.

Should be like Stans after UK that year. Loved that about Stans always standing up for MSU against the SEC and their bias with the blue bloods.

our reporters aren't very good at framing questions and Leach didn't give answers due to fear of being fined. He didn't know the play was waived dead.

Apoplectic
09-18-2021, 08:08 PM
out of everything that happened, that play not getting reviewed may be the worst of them all.

I give the ref a pass - I?m sure they?re now told to let it play out and replay will get it right

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 08:09 PM
our reporters aren't very good at framing questions and Leach didn't give answers due to fear of being fined. He didn't know the play was waived dead.

Well, I blame Leach for certain things but I'm not sure how you can blame him for SEC refs jobbing us on the punt return. And he did make a pretty big stink on the onside kick review. If the officiating crew wants to screw you over bad enough there isn't much you can do about it. A play like that punt return would have been reviewed by the crew without any prompting from anyone about 99 out of 100 times given the controversial aspect of it and the impact it had to determining the game.

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 08:10 PM
I give the ref a pass - I?m sure they?re now told to let it play out and replay will get it right

You don't let a play go that you've already declared dead. That is asinine.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 08:12 PM

You can't play out a dead ball. Dead ball is already played out.

Apoplectic
09-18-2021, 08:12 PM
You don't let a play go that you've already declared dead. That is asinine.

The correct answer is: you don?t let a play like that go without asking for a review

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Well, I blame Leach for certain things but I'm not sure how you can blame him for SEC refs jobbing us on the punt return. And he did make a pretty big stink on the onside kick review. If the officiating crew wants to screw you over bad enough there isn't much you can do about it. A play like that punt return would have been reviewed by the crew without any prompting from anyone about 99 out of 100 times given the controversial aspect of it and the impact it had to determining the game.

Yeah no one is blaming Leach for the bad call. It is what he didn't do after that. It is just symbolic of our coaching engagement. Leach was talking with QB. He should have been talking to the ST players and coaches. He just cares about his bad O. Same as with Moorhead consumed with his O and not the whole team as the CEO. Leach has a similar problem.

R2Dawg
09-18-2021, 08:16 PM
The correct answer is: you don?t let a play like that go without asking for a review

Agree and that is what is on Leach. He didn't even ask.

Bothrops
09-18-2021, 08:33 PM
The refs weren't only ****ing us, they were showing us they were ****ing us. Meanwhile Leach was thinking about feeding iguanas from his hammock.

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2021, 08:56 PM

And the play is an automatic review because it was a scoring play.

BulldogBear
09-18-2021, 09:03 PM
After watching again....it is an even worse call than I remembered. The ball is arrested AND our knee is on the ground. I'm curious why the Memphis player even thought it was a live ball.

TNDawg35
09-18-2021, 09:19 PM
After watching again....it is an even worse call than I remembered. The ball is arrested AND our knee is on the ground. I'm curious why the Memphis player even thought it was a live ball.

That’s the thing tho, our knee doesn’t have to be on the ground: all we have to do is touch the ball and it’s dead. Plain and simple. We touched it, AND with our knee on the ground. Memphis player was smart and tried to steal one. Well guess what, it worked. The PoS refs were prolly too scared to over turn it in Memphis…

RocketDawg
09-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Agree and that is what is on Leach. He didn't even ask.

I don't think he was paying attention and assumed that it would be a normal punt that was downed. Then, because he wasn't paying attention, he assumed that one of our players had somehow screwed up, and by the time he was aware of the controversy it was too late.

RocketDawg
09-18-2021, 09:37 PM
That’s the thing tho, our knee doesn’t have to be on the ground: all we have to do is touch the ball and it’s dead. Plain and simple. We touched it, AND with our knee on the ground. Memphis player was smart and tried to steal one. Well guess what, it worked. The PoS refs were prolly too scared to over turn it in Memphis…

The ball was touched by another player keeping it out of the endzone. He batted it forward, then another player touched the ball and grounded it. If all it takes is to touch the ball, it should have been down inside the 5, so I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that the back judge called the play dead, then erroneously let the play proceed.

Having two players with #4 isn't something you'd notice until a replay (or maybe the refs should - most fans would not).

Quaoarsking
09-18-2021, 09:38 PM
I can forgive Leach for not realizing the ref blew it dead in the heat of the moment, but how did no one tell him? And why the hell didn't the ref who did it acknowledge it?

Percho
09-18-2021, 09:39 PM
https://twitter.com/secofficiating/status/1439402225311354883?s=21

Commercecomet24
09-18-2021, 09:41 PM
I can forgive Leach for not realizing the ref blew it dead in the heat of the moment, but how did no one tell him? And why the hell didn't the ref who did it acknowledge it?

It's the coaches job up in the press box to call it down. Head coach can't always see what's going on. Someone up in the box has the responsibility to let the HC know.

RocketDawg
09-18-2021, 09:42 PM

Agree. We all saw it real time. The ref should have owned up to it voluntarily, and barring that, some official in the booth should have immediately called for a review or even overruled the field refs.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2021, 09:43 PM
The ball was touched by another player keeping it out of the endzone. He batted it forward, then another player touched the ball and grounded it. If all it takes is to touch the ball, it should have been down inside the 5, so I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that the back judge called the play dead, then erroneously let the play proceed.

Having two players with #4 isn't something you'd notice until a replay (or maybe the refs should - most fans would not).

Placing your hand on the ball with your knee on the ground is downing the ball and is exactly what we did. Brandon Walker has a still pic on Twitter of it. We downed the ball

MrCoachKlein
09-18-2021, 09:48 PM
I want to see Leach get 3 real years (4 counting the year ruined by .gov). However, I can't defend him not going Bobby Knight after that play or at least calling a timeout to get it sorted. Worst case scenario you waste a timeout and make the refs look a fool.

HoopsDawg
09-18-2021, 09:50 PM
SEC officials struggling in PSU vs AU as well.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2021, 09:53 PM
SEC officials struggling in PSU vs AU as well.

Lol is there anytime they don't?

Percho
09-18-2021, 10:04 PM
If this is not a dead ball, what is?

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/board/59413/Contents/ball-is-dead-171274506/?page=1

maroonmania
09-18-2021, 10:14 PM

Yes, touching the ball should have been all that was needed because the ball WAS at rest. The SEC response saying it was not at rest was total made up BS.