PDA

View Full Version : We are toast

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 02:17 PM
Again, NIL and the portal can not coexist

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/8364603002

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 02:19 PM
We would be better off inflating school contracts to local businesses (understanding that they reinvest the difference in NIL) and not paying a head coach 5 Mil

Matt3467
09-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Regardless what happens Miss St isn't going to win in a bidding war vs most other schools just in this conference alone. If there's a player someone wants that's just the risk we run into now. Before at least it involved some risk but now it's open season. Unfortunate, but that's the current state we live in.

confucius say
09-16-2021, 02:37 PM
Well I hope he turned those 5 schools in. Preferably with a recording.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2021, 02:41 PM

Yup.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2021, 02:43 PM
I'm questioning the validity of Patterson's claims.

1. He would no doubt turn the SEC schools in if he knew they were actively recruiting a player on his roster. The player is obviously telling Patterson

2. He knows by saying SEC schools, it'll boil up the passions & anger in is fan base to do something in the NIL arena. Particularly in light of TX & OU leaving the Big 12

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 02:51 PM

For what? It's not like Mullen or Saban are the ones calling. Its boosters

Apoplectic
09-16-2021, 02:53 PM

just for fun - let's surmise: obviously there's bama then probably rebels, vols, lsu and aub - maybe a/m too

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2021, 03:02 PM
https://twitter.com/SC_Tiger/status/1438590458335215622?s=20

Leeshouldveflanked
09-16-2021, 03:07 PM
Does TCU have any good OTs?

Apoplectic
09-16-2021, 03:08 PM

Don't forget about The Network

confucius say
09-16-2021, 03:45 PM

Which is still not allowed. The school is responsible for its boosters or any person who donates the school money or buys a ticket from the school.

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Which is still not allowed. The school is responsible for its boosters or any person who donates the school money or buys a ticket from the school.

I don't think you understand how the game is played

Homedawg
09-16-2021, 04:30 PM

While I agree the NIL isn't going to help us much in football. But how are we any worse??

confucius say
09-16-2021, 05:25 PM
I don't think you understand how the game is played

Oh I know. Seen it with my own eyes.

That doesn't change that it's against the rules. Record it and turn it in and said school will get in trouble. Better yet, I'd record it and put it on social media and tag the ncaa.

FriarsPoint
09-16-2021, 05:29 PM

That doesn't change that it's against the rules. Record it and turn it in and said school will get in trouble. Better yet, I'd record it and put it on social media and tag the ncaa.

Something like that has been tried. The ncaa balked. Said player was in the midst of a heisman campaign and national championship.

confucius say
09-16-2021, 05:59 PM
Something like that has been tried. The ncaa balked. Said player was in the midst of a heisman campaign and national championship.

Problem was Cecil was recorded asking for money from us and he didn't come here. Needed recording of him doing same from auburn and them saying yes. Bc we all know they did.

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 07:13 PM
While I agree the NIL isn't going to help us much in football. But how are we any worse??

We run the risk of losing young stars that normally would stay here 3 years

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 07:17 PM

There is nothing against the rules about making statements of fact like " Hey Will Rogers (this is a joke 7 and gun), The Aggies need a stand out transfer quarterback that has SEC experience and they have a $1 million NIL deal ready for that position player. " You can almost run an ad saying this.

confucius say
09-16-2021, 07:41 PM
There is nothing against the rules about making statements of fact like " Hey Will Rogers (this is a joke 7 and gun), The Aggies need a stand out transfer quarterback that has SEC experience and they have a $1 million NIL deal ready for that position player. " You can almost run an ad saying this.

If a booster or anyone affiliated with a school contacts a player for another school directly and makes that statement it is tampering. That is against the rules.

Liverpooldawg
09-16-2021, 07:47 PM
Don't forget about The Network

They won't be able to consistently outbid the big boys either. They, despite their delusional thinking, are essentially in the same boat as us. It's going to be all about the market.

bobtail bob
09-16-2021, 07:58 PM
The NCAA doesn’t care. LSU was caught red handed as was Ole Miss . What has happened to either ? The only reason they are even around anymore is to get their cut of the money generated by college sports. The NILs are basically a way to pay any player money through a back door.What’s to stop a school setting up a shell company to pay everyone ?

Dawgfan77
09-16-2021, 08:04 PM
RELAX guys. He meant SMU.... not SEC.. Patterson. That guy is so awesome....

Schultzy
09-16-2021, 08:06 PM
If a booster or anyone affiliated with a school contacts a player for another school directly and makes that statement it is tampering. That is against the rules.

Rules…that’s not a thing anymore.

FriarsPoint
09-16-2021, 08:10 PM
Rules…that’s not a thing anymore.

^^^^^^^ This is the answer.

Coach34
09-16-2021, 08:56 PM
NIL has legalized cheating. It benefits us in baseball. Football will start suffering. Basketball better get organized. Thats the future.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2021, 09:16 PM

Yeah I think everyone's probably gonna wind up about where they're at now. Most teams will get the same type players they always get.

TUSK
09-16-2021, 09:17 PM
just for fun - let's surmise: obviously there's bama then probably rebels, vols, lsu and aub - maybe a/m too

Off of TCU's roster??

You're right, that was fun....

HoopsDawg
09-16-2021, 09:37 PM
For us, the Transfer Portal is the ticket. Much safer to get a kid from the portal b/c he has already used his 1 time free transfer.

Also, we aren't a great high school recruiting program. The blueprint should be 15 HS kids, 10 portal/Juco guys every year.

We went 4 for 4 in the portal this year with Polk, Calvin, Charlton, and Green. Need to somehow make it profitable thru NIL to transfer to MSU. Let the big boys fight for the blue chippers and pay them NIL money. We can pay the other guys.

Homedawg
09-16-2021, 09:39 PM
We run the risk of losing young stars that normally would stay here 3 years

Meh how many true fr do we have that show out? Don't have that many guys that it will matter. Not us anyway.
For example, you think bama would have come and stolen walley? No. Every recruit they have is higher ceiling than him. If they don't pan out, they just process and go get a real star.

Cowbell
09-16-2021, 11:24 PM
Meh how many true fr do we have that show out? Don't have that many guys that it will matter. Not us anyway.
For example, you think bama would have come and stolen walley? No. Every recruit they have is higher ceiling than him. If they don't pan out, they just process and go get a real star.

How about a Texas or Florida state taking a Chris Jones or a Jeffrey Simmons. I'm not worried about bama or Clemson. I'm worried about big money schools that are currently at our level in terms of winning. They will pass us by offering what we can't... even to some of our guys. Let's say Texas is short in the secondary next year. They could easily offer Forbes or Florida state could offer a Nathan Pickering if they need to beef up the DL.

Maroonthirteen
09-17-2021, 06:47 AM
statements of fact like " Hey Will Rogers, The Aggies need a stand out transfer quarterback that has SEC experience and they have a $1 million NIL deal ready for that position player. " .

This article and thread is just another reminder that NIL of a high school player has no real value. It is the brand of the schools (SEC) that gives the player value once they have earned a starting position and performed well at the college level.

Maroonthirteen
09-17-2021, 07:27 AM
That's a loud accusation. Seems like Patterson could turn those 5 schools into the Federal Trade Commission.... in the bill;

The Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act (15 U.S.C. 7801 et seq.) is amended—

(1)in section 2—
(A)by redesignating paragraphs (4) through (9) as paragraphs (5) through (10), respectively; and
(B)by inserting after paragraph (3) the following new paragraph:
(4)Booster
The term booster means an individual (other than an individual who is related to a student athlete) or an organization, including a sponsor of an institution’s athletic program, that provides substantial financial assistance or services to the athletic program of an institution of higher education or that promotes a team or athletic program of an institution of higher education for such individual’s or organization’s own substantial financial interest.

;

(2)by inserting after section 3 the following new section:
3A.Regulation of unfair and deceptive acts and practices in connection with contact between a booster and a student athlete
It is unlawful for a booster to directly or indirectly provide or offer to provide any funds or thing of value as an inducement for a student athlete to enroll or remain at a specific institution or group of institutions.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/hr2841/text

Offshore Dawg
09-17-2021, 09:12 AM
How about a Texas or Florida state taking a Chris Jones or a Jeffrey Simmons. I'm not worried about bama or Clemson. I'm worried about big money schools that are currently at our level in terms of winning. They will pass us by offering what we can't... even to some of our guys. Let's say Texas is short in the secondary next year. They could easily offer Forbes or Florida state could offer a Nathan Pickering if they need to beef up the DL.

So what the <17> else is new ??

sleepy dawg
09-17-2021, 09:51 AM
"Let me just say, you guys know me, I?m just going to tell the truth ? the bottom line to it is I can lose 25-30 guys on scholarships by January." -Gary Patterson

This is bullshit. He's being overly dramatic trying to stir up controversy. NIL may or may not be good for the game, but even if it's bad, it won't be like this or college football will be dead by January.

HoopsDawg
09-17-2021, 11:01 AM

going to be tough. we are going to have to pay them to come to school then set up enough NIL deals to keep them at MSU. That's why I like players from the portal.

Jack Lambert
09-17-2021, 11:14 AM
There is going to be some really serious issues in the future. Over the years it is going to get unsustainable. It will get too big. It will get out of control and the public will start to raise hell. Especially the none college sport fans. Technically you will have private citizens going to school free and making money while on public property while parents who don't care about sports are spending 100K of dollars for their kids to go to school. Those none college sports fans vote. This will not last. It's just a Pandora box thats going to get bigger and bigger and the Government is going to have to step in and make laws.