PDA

View Full Version : Stop

BuckyIsAB****
09-12-2021, 07:27 PM
Despite all the hate, we actually have a pretty good team. We will never make everyone happy under Leach. But he is a tried and true winner. He can coach. Was the best coach that we could have possibly hired.

Yes he is better than Clark and Napier. I like both of them but they are not Leach. Anyone who has ever spent a good amount of time in the air raid, or just even watching the pure version of it you know that you will have some 3 and outs. It is just part of it. You will miss some throws. Will missed Walley on the first drive for a TD. Polk runs a slant instead of a glance and we miss it by inches. We are close.

The defense stepped on their throats and made them quit. The players and Arnett do an exceptional job of giving you a lot of different looks and tackled much better than we did a week ago. We also got a lot more pressure. Jett Johnson and Charlton were big time.

We are going to win 7-9 games. 7 is the floor right now. We have a pretty good team and a lot to be proud of.

Catfish
09-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Despite all the hate, we actually have a pretty good team. We will never make everyone happy under Leach. But he is a tried and true winner. He can coach. Was the best coach that we could have possibly hired.

Yes he is better than Clark and Napier. I like both of them but they are not Leach. Anyone who has ever spent a good amount of time in the air raid, or just even watching the pure version of it you know that you will have some 3 and outs. It is just part of it. You will miss some throws. Will missed Walley on the first drive for a TD. Polk runs a slant instead of a glance and we miss it by inches. We are close.

The defense stepped on their throats and made them quit. The players and Arnett do an exceptional job of giving you a lot of different looks and tackled much better than we did a week ago. We also got a lot more pressure. Jett Johnson and Charlton were big time.

We are going to win 7-9 games. 7 is the floor right now. We have a pretty good team and a lot to be proud of.

You are right on. Thanks!

OLJWales
09-12-2021, 07:32 PM

Thank you good read. I was looking today and saw 7 maybe 8 with a lucky bounce or 2.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Something else, when you throw the ball 50 times a game you are going to have sacks and interceptions. Hopefully you can limit them like yesterday and get more take a ways like yesterday. We have played two really veteran teams and won. I'm happy.

Catfish
09-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Something else, when you throw the ball 50 times a game you are going to have sacks and interceptions. Hopefully you can limit them like yesterday and get more take a ways like yesterday. We have played two really veteran teams and won. I'm happy.

Totally agree!

Commercecomet24
09-12-2021, 08:10 PM
We have some things to cleanup for sure but we are 2-0. This team is gritty and has some stones and I love that mentality. We're not there yet but we play extremely hard on both sides of the ball, which is way more than we saw with JoMo. We are in great physical shape too. We were fresh in 4th quarter and nc state was gassed(obviously la tech was too in game 1). Nc state ol was holding the entire 4th quarter because we were fresh and bringing it and they were done.

Cowbell
09-12-2021, 08:12 PM

While you're here Bucky, what's your take on Will not running when he has green - is that coached or just him needing to mature into that?

BiscuitEater
09-12-2021, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Commercecomet24;1360938]We have some things to cleanup for sure but we are 2-0.

Then there's 'the expert' football coaches ...

Coach34 said:
09-05-2021 07:24
I think NC State is at least 10 points better than us
Just out here kicking rocks

Commercecomet24
09-12-2021, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Commercecomet24;1360938]We have some things to cleanup for sure but we are 2-0.

Then there's 'the expert' football coaches ...

Coach34 said:
09-05-2021 07:24
I think NC State is at least 10 points better than us
Just out here kicking rocks

Yeah and we're already halfway to those 4 wins too lol!

Reason2succeed
09-12-2021, 08:23 PM
This offense works when the players work it properly. We were run dominant forever. It just takes a while to turn the pirate ship around but we have the pieces now. They?re just young and are still inexperienced.

Just wait until we have more experience on offense. Will, Tulu, Walley, etc are all still technically freshmen.

Just wait until we really stack recruiting classes to this offense. How many QBs and WRs want to be in an offense that throws the ball 50 times a game?

Hambone
09-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Also, go back and watch the replay on the TD pass to Walley where so many said he should have ran it in…..

There were three defensive players playing on the goal line and two hit him as he threw the TD pass.

Bottom line, Will made the correct call.

R2Dawg
09-12-2021, 09:06 PM
We certainly looked better. We can win 6 games as floor, any more is a bonus. Our D is very good. O still has a ways to go but did a few more improved things Sat - throw downfield some for one.

Why do some of you sink to calling anyone a hater who has a different opinion about something? Just because everyone on here don't think Leach is the messiah of coaches don't mean anyone hates anybody.

Good grief. Some of you need to chill; it is an opinion message board.

TrapGame
09-12-2021, 09:16 PM
We certainly looked better. We can win 6 games as floor, any more is a bonus. Our D is very good. O still has a ways to go but did a few more improved things Sat - throw downfield some for one.

Why do some of you sink to calling anyone a hater who has a different opinion about something? Just because everyone on here don't think Leach is the messiah of coaches don't mean anyone hates anybody.

Good grief. Some of you need to chill; it is an opinion message board.

I agree with you that we need to see some more downfield throws. There are guys getting open but Will checks down to the back. I don't know if he's scared to push downfield b/c he might get a pick or what. He had Polk open for a huge gain in the 4th but checked down to Johnson for maybe a yard. Leach let him know it when he went back to the sideline. Gotta do better.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2021, 09:48 PM
We looked better, but the offense is still not good. Doesn't mean I hate Leach, like R2Dawg said, it just means I don't share your opinion. I also don't know where y'all are getting this "6-7 wins is the floor now", stuff....outside of Memphis, Vandy, and Tennessee State, there are no gimmes. And considering how little our offense is putting up points (only 2 scores yesterday), some might not consider Memphis a gimme either.

I would love nothing more than for Leach to win big here....but so far through a season and 2 games, the only true weakness on our team is his unit. So until that unit shows some semblance of life, I can't see us winning under him, and I surely can't put automatic wins on the schedule after squeaking by La Tech after trailing by 20. I hope he turns the offense into a force sooner than later, but for anyone to wonder why some may have doubts, is willfully sticking your head in the sand.

I'll agree to disagree with your opinion, and hope that things turn out the way we both want them to...which is with the offense clicking and creating one hell of a team, bc our defense is already more than pulling their weight.

Todd4State
09-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Bucky- What's your take on why Will isn't throwing the ball down the field more?

Dawgtini
09-12-2021, 10:15 PM

+1

Dawgtini
09-12-2021, 10:29 PM
While you're here Bucky, what's your take on Will not running when he has green - is that coached or just him needing to mature into that?

Coached. Leach is ok with it but coaches against it.

preachermatt83
09-13-2021, 12:09 AM

Best post I’ve seen on here in a long long time. Accept your rep sir.

preachermatt83
09-13-2021, 12:12 AM
This offense works when the players work it properly. We were run dominant forever. It just takes a while to turn the pirate ship around but we have the pieces now. They?re just young and are still inexperienced.

Just wait until we have more experience on offense. Will, Tulu, Walley, etc are all still technically freshmen.

Just wait until we really stack recruiting classes to this offense. How many QBs and WRs want to be in an offense that throws the ball 50 times a game?

Truth

confucius say
09-13-2021, 07:01 AM
We looked better, but the offense is still not good. Doesn't mean I hate Leach, like R2Dawg said, it just means I don't share your opinion. I also don't know where y'all are getting this "6-7 wins is the floor now", stuff....outside of Memphis, Vandy, and Tennessee State, there are no gimmes. And considering how little our offense is putting up points (only 2 scores yesterday), some might not consider Memphis a gimme either.

I would love nothing more than for Leach to win big here....but so far through a season and 2 games, the only true weakness on our team is his unit. So until that unit shows some semblance of life, I can't see us winning under him, and I surely can't put automatic wins on the schedule after squeaking by La Tech after trailing by 20. I hope he turns the offense into a force sooner than later, but for anyone to wonder why some may have doubts, is willfully sticking your head in the sand.

I'll agree to disagree with your opinion, and hope that things turn out the way we both want them to...which is with the offense clicking and creating one hell of a team, bc our defense is already more than pulling their weight.

In NO way, shape, or form is Memphis a gimme. I think we will lose or squeak by. I feel worse about it than I did NC state. The line is us -3 right now.

This is not mullen. We will be up for big games and knock somebody off in a game where we we were the underdog every year, like this past Saturday. But we will also look like crap in some games we are supposed to win. That has been leach for years. Our fanbase still doesn't grasp that.

Schultzy
09-13-2021, 07:03 AM

This.
I’m glad we won but we still can’t score much at all and still have a Qb that can’t see downfield and won’t throw it 2nd level unless it’s a pre snap call. I would take 6-6 right now and could easily see 5-7.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 08:17 AM
Leach is very frustrating because he could be great today like he was great 20 years ago but he doesn't care at all to adjust his offense. Briles and Riley took his passing concepts and married it to a power spread running game and their offenses became dynamic. We also know that going to traditional splits helps the running game but doesn't hurt the passing game. Leach has no interest in doing either and that level of hubris/stubborness is mindblowing.

RiverCityDawg
09-13-2021, 08:48 AM
Leach is very frustrating because he could be great today like he was great 20 years ago but he doesn't care at all to adjust his offense. Briles and Riley took his passing concepts and married it to a power spread running game and their offenses became dynamic. We also know that going to traditional splits helps the running game but doesn't hurt the passing game. Leach has no interest in doing either and that level of hubris/stubborness is mindblowing.

I get what you're saying, but it shouldn't be mind blowing. Every head coach has those things fans think they are being stubborn about. This is especially true for successful coaches because they have less incentive to change. They've done something the same way their entire career, been successful and therefore aren't deviating. Leach has wide splits, Mullen has Hevesy. Everyone has something or multiple things, even if not as apparent.

Sure you can point to guys like Saban that have "adjusted" over time in one way or another, but I'm sure there are things about his approach that he could change to improve, it's just masked by the overwhelming talent he has accumulated.

Point being, there's not a perfect head coach so the "if they would only" thing is just a waste of time. Leach has been successful. We signed up for that just like we signed up for all his other quirks. They're such a package deal I don't see the point in spending energy wishing it was different. Thats the way I look at it, at least.

Coach34
09-13-2021, 09:19 AM

This is the post right here- well done.

While it's only 2 games- some numbers:

We are 79th in the country in Total Offense (Memphis leads the country)
We are 16th in the country is Passing Offense
We are 71st in the country in Scoring Offense
We are 128th in Rushing Offense (which will be about where we finish)

Our fans will continue to make excuses because thats what our fans do- but at some point the offense has to deliver results. I dont see anything going on with the offense that leads me to believe we will score many points against a defense with a pulse.

HancockCountyDog
09-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Point being, there's not a perfect head coach so the "if they would only" thing is just a waste of time. Leach has been successful. We signed up for that just like we signed up for all his other quirks. They're such a package deal I don't see the point in spending energy wishing it was different. Thats the way I look at it, at least.

Might as well shut down the message board, lol.

Coach34
09-13-2021, 09:22 AM

This all day. His refusal to tweak or change a little is the problem. You can get away with it in other conferences- not the SEC

dawgman15
09-13-2021, 09:24 AM
This all day. His refusal to tweak or change a little is the problem. You can get away with it in other conferences- not the SEC
Aren't you supposed to be kicking rocks?

HancockCountyDog
09-13-2021, 09:24 AM
Also, it is ok for me to hate our fourth and short offense?

I have zero confidence we will make it.

Now, I also have 100% confidence our defense is getting off the field on 3rd and 7+, so that helps.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Also, it is ok for me to hate our fourth and short offense?

I have zero confidence we will make it.

Now, I also have 100% confidence our defense is getting off the field on 3rd and 7+, so that helps.

Yes, it is ok for you to hate our 4th and short offense. For this offense, 4th and 4 and 4th and an inch are the same thing. Also, you can't be called an offensive genius if your QB has to take a shotgun snap in the victory formation.

RezDog7
09-13-2021, 09:56 AM

Our fans will continue to make excuses because thats what our fans do- but at some point the offense has to deliver results. I dont see anything going on with the offense that leads me to believe we will score many points against a defense with a pulse.

How is the offense going to look good against such a veteran and dominate team like NC State. I lost my trailer home after taking NC State because you said we had no shot at beating them.

Johnson85
09-13-2021, 09:59 AM

5 wins is the floor. That's assuming that if we have a patented Mike Leach wtf loss that we also offset it with a patented Mike Leach upset.

But after those five wins, you have UK, A&M, LSU, Arky, and Ole Miss that look winnable now. Don't expect to be favored in any of those, but none of those five look out of reach. If I were forced to make a bet, I'd put the bet on 6 wins. I don't think 7 wins is that much less likely than 5 wins though.

Lord McBuckethead
09-13-2021, 10:07 AM
Nothing is a lean to a win other than Tenn State or whoever that is.
Everything else is a battle. Time to strap it up and get after it.

Coach34
09-13-2021, 10:11 AM
How is the offense going to look good against such a veteran and dominate team like NC State. I lost my trailer home after taking NC State because you said we had no shot at beating them.

17 points and 300 yards of offense- basically lower half of the country

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 10:12 AM
Nothing is a lean to a win other than Tenn State or whoever that is.
Everything else is a battle. Time to strap it up and get after it.

Vandy is awful.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 10:13 AM

NC State is not an SEC West caliber team. But we won that game thanks to an outstanding performance from our Defense and the Tulu kick return.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 10:17 AM

Memphis has played Nichols and A-sate. Their offensive numbers mean absolute Dick.

TrapGame
09-13-2021, 10:25 AM
NC State is not an SEC West caliber team. But we won that game thanks to an outstanding performance from our Defense and the Tulu kick return.

That wasn't the mantra last week. Now we've moved goalposts to Memphis so let's see what happens. One of you blind squirrels has got to find a nut somewhere.

HancockCountyDog
09-13-2021, 10:25 AM
Memphis has played Nichols and A-sate. Their offensive numbers mean absolute Dick.

Completely agree - I don't understand the -3 line. Its honestly one of the most confusing lines I've ever seen. It should easily be -10 or more. I thought it would be around -14.

HancockCountyDog
09-13-2021, 10:26 AM
That wasn't the mantra last week. Now we've moved goalposts to Memphis so let's see what happens. One of you blind squirrels has got to find a nut somewhere.

To be fair - everyone was saying La Tech was awful before our game, and then they were a borderline playoff team after the game, so at least we are consistent.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Completely agree - I don't understand the -3 line. Its honestly one of the most confusing lines I've ever seen. It should easily be -10 or more. I thought it would be around -14.

The line shocks me too and if it doesn't move I'll have a tad bit of concern.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 10:42 AM

I bet a large sum on MSU +1.5 over NC State.

BayouDawg
09-13-2021, 10:45 AM
I know the offense has been concerning but I have enjoyed seeing that bulldog toughness being brought back into our program. We had lost it under slomo. I personally think the offense is going to start clicking soon but I understand the people that are not entirely on board with it.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 11:40 AM
I know the offense has been concerning but I have enjoyed seeing that bulldog toughness being brought back into our program. We had lost it under slomo. I personally think the offense is going to start clicking soon but I understand the people that are not entirely on board with it.

Leach made the point that we left 100 yards of offense out there on 3 plays. I normally hate that kind of stuff-reminds me of something Croom would say. But in this case, he is definitely right. Rogers had a pretty easy throw to Walley that would have been at least 30 yards, probably more. And then Jamire Calvin and Dillon Johnson had to dive for balls that if we make good throws go for big gains. And they weren't terrible difficult throw to make. So at least there's some stuff out there. Last year, I didn't see many opportunties. The Oline is definitely protecting better.

RiverCityDawg
09-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Might as well shut down the message board, lol.

I guess if the message board is just for beating the dead horse over the same specific thing you don't like about a coach that isn't ever changing, yeah shut it down. Or not, people can spend their time pissed off that the sky is blue, I just don't see the point in it.

Complaining about the fundamentals of the Mike Leach air raid is the lowest fruit on the State fan tree right now. I'd like to think there's more to discuss. But by all means continue talking about how great it would be if the sky was green if that's what y'all think is entertaining.

dawgday166
09-13-2021, 12:56 PM
In NO way, shape, or form is Memphis a gimme. I think we will lose or squeak by. I feel worse about it than I did NC state. The line is us -3 right now.

This is not mullen. We will be up for big games and knock somebody off in a game where we we were the underdog every year, like this past Saturday. But we will also look like crap in some games we are supposed to win. That has been leach for years. Our fanbase still doesn't grasp that.

That actually sounds like Mullen. Even in 2014 what happened with OM ... we should've crushed them especially since most of their team was the walking wounded. Outside of 2017 ... Mullen did what you just described all the time.

However, for my money Mullen and Leach are 2 guys that historically can do the most with the least from a recruiting rankings standpoint. But both can also lay occasional eggs or barely squeak by mediocre teams their team should destroy.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 01:18 PM

HAHA. Ok.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 01:21 PM
17 points and 300 yards of offense- basically lower half of the country

Eat crow better. Bad look.

The game was over starting the fourth quarter. It's not like we needed yards or points.
And will missed 23, 11, and 10 for TD. Two of them long TD. That's not offense. That's execution.

And I still think our offense is meh and Memphis is a toss up.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 01:38 PM
That actually sounds like Mullen. Even in 2014 what happened with OM ... we should've crushed them especially since most of their team was the walking wounded. Outside of 2017 ... Mullen did what you just described all the time.

However, for my money Mullen and Leach are 2 guys that historically can do the most with the least from a recruiting rankings standpoint. But both can also lay occasional eggs or barely squeak by mediocre teams their team should destroy.

Mullen lost, I believe, 3 games in 9 years as a favorite. Bout the same number of wins as an underdog too. 95% of the time with Dan, you can correctly say who will win the game before it is played.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Mullen lost, I believe, 3 games in 9 years as a favorite. Bout the same number of wins as an underdog too. 95% of the time with Dan, you can correctly say who will win the game before it is played.

This is true but Mullen also had some extremely close calls against teams who we were way more talented than, similar to the la tech game. Mullen had at least one a year.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 01:51 PM
HAHA. Ok.

do you think our offense won that game? Were you one of the posters saying La Tech was actually a lot better than advertised. They beat SE LA on saturday by 3 points.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 01:58 PM
This is true but Mullen also had some extremely close calls against teams who we were way more talented than, similar to the la tech game. Mullen had at least one a year.

True

confucius say
09-13-2021, 02:04 PM
do you think our offense won that game? Were you one of the posters saying La Tech was actually a lot better than advertised. They beat SE LA on saturday by 3 points.

No I don't think that. I think the team as a whole win it, led by the defense. I think our offense is meh at best and Memphis is a toss up.

I was laughing at the idea that NC state is not a sec west caliber team. C34 is as football smart as anybody on here and said they were double digits better than us. The majority of posters in the prediction thread picked them. They are capable of beating (and losing to) everybody in the west not named Bama. Same way we are. If that game is in Raleigh the other night, they certainly could have beaten us. And we are a sec west caliber team.

I think la tech is solid, yes. I don't know if I said they are better than advertised. Interestingly, they play nc state in a couple of weeks.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 02:18 PM
True

You are right though, nothing and i mean nothing is ever a given for us in sports, or at least very few.

Percho
09-13-2021, 03:21 PM
I would bet my hat that if we were snapping the ball 10 to 20 seconds into the play clock we would be rolling on O.

Turfdawg67
09-13-2021, 04:26 PM

Ha, ha! Exactly. These ppl hated Mullen winning 4 OoC games and whipping KY and Vandy every year. Now that he's not here, he was the greatest coach ever! You can't win with these ppl, they are never happy.

dawgday166
09-13-2021, 04:30 PM

True but he had several squeakers like La Tech this year. And we would all be pissed about it just like we were La Tech. In 2011 he beat La Tech 26-20 in OT. In 2013 he beat Bowling Green 21-20. In 2016 with a team somewhat comparable in experience to this team, he lost 21-20 to USA, then lost later to BYU & KY, then squeaked by Miami, OH 17-16.

HoopsDawg
09-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Ha, ha! Exactly. These ppl hated Mullen winning 4 OoC games and whipping KY and Vandy every year. Now that he's not here, he was the greatest coach ever! You can't win with these ppl, they are never happy.

The majority of people loved Mullen until he started looking to leave around Thanksgiving every year.

Turfdawg67
09-13-2021, 04:50 PM
The majority of people loved Mullen until he started looking to leave around Thanksgiving every year.

So, beloved until 2012.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 06:15 PM
True but he had several squeakers like La Tech this year. And we would all be pissed about it just like we were La Tech. In 2011 he beat La Tech 26-20 in OT. In 2013 he beat Bowling Green 21-20. In 2016 with a team somewhat comparable in experience to this team, he lost 21-20 to USA, then lost later to BYU & KY, then squeaked by Miami, OH 17-16.

That's true. That's why winning last week was huge. Winning ugly is ok. Just don't need to lose those.

Dan averaged 7.1-4.9 regular season. I think leach can duplicate that.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 06:29 PM

It's only because Mullen's went vanilla in those games*****

I couldn't resist!

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 06:30 PM
That's true. That's why winning last week was huge. Winning ugly is ok. Just don't need to lose those.

Dan averaged 7.1-4.9 regular season. I think leach can duplicate that.

I had a coach used to say, "Son there ain't no ugly wins they're all pretty some are just prettier than others"

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 06:31 PM
It's only because Mullen's went vanilla in those games*****

I couldn't resist!

Oh man. We invented new ways to biatch during Mullen.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 06:34 PM
Oh man. We invented new ways to biatch during Mullen.

Yep,Some folks on here have the Art from Christmas Vacation syndrome. The little lights are not twinkling Clark! Lol

Those folks aren't happy unless they're not happy!

dawgday166
09-13-2021, 07:16 PM

True and true ... LOL Commerce.