PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about the Memphis game

Todd4State
09-12-2021, 01:47 PM
It's our first road game and they're going to treat it like their Super Bowl like when they play Ole Miss. I'm also worried about turnovers as always. We have to make sure we hold onto the ball like we did against NC State.

So when I say worried I mean more worried than some of our fans seems to be. I see people already talking about 3-0 coming in against LSU and we're not good enough to just show up and waltz through Memphis.

OLJWales
09-12-2021, 01:50 PM
No. tiger high gave up fiddy to arkie state. Gonna be a curb stomp then Bullies and Blues on Beale.

msstate7
09-12-2021, 01:50 PM
I think they're gonna challenge our defense bc they can exploit our weakness, deep ball. I expect the offense to look much better next week though. I say 35-31 state

Catfish
09-12-2021, 01:51 PM
From what I saw yesterday Arnett will have this defense ready for whatever they try. Our offense is slowly coming together. I'm cautiously optimistic.

shoeless joe
09-12-2021, 01:52 PM
I agree. This is the type of game we would historically struggle with. And we have failed to make anything easy so far. Close win, loss, blowout win…of those 3 a blowout win seems the least likely. I’ll take a similar game to last nite right now and take the 3-0 start.

Indndawg
09-12-2021, 01:52 PM
I think they're gonna challenge our defense bc they can exploit our weakness, deep ball. I expect the offense to look much better next week though. I say 35-31 state

Yes Tiger High will play better
Yes our first road game

I think we play well enough to pull out a 10 pt win

TrapGame
09-12-2021, 02:01 PM
Arnett sold out for the run for NC State. Crumedy pushed their future NFL left tackle around like rag doll. I think we back off on Memphis b/c of their passing. I think we see Will throw some deeper passes. If we are challenged by Memphis' defense for most of the game I'll get the worries.

KOdawg1
09-12-2021, 02:03 PM
It's definitely a trap game. If it was an 11 AM kickoff, I'd be very worried. But it's still a game we should win.

Reason2succeed
09-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Our fans will show up and be loud and propel our team to victory. LaTech was our wake up call. Leach won?t let us go back to sleep.

RocketDawg
09-12-2021, 02:10 PM
No. tiger high gave up fiddy to arkie state. Gonna be a curb stomp then Bullies and Blues on Beale.

Was that an overtime game? Score sounded like it.

Jack Lambert
09-12-2021, 02:29 PM

I don't think thier o line is going to give them a chance to go deep on our defense d line. I see many TFL and Sacks. No way thier O Line is as good as NC State.

Leroy Jenkins
09-12-2021, 02:31 PM
Im not going to spend one minute worrying about a team that gave up 50 points to Arky St.

OLJWales
09-12-2021, 02:37 PM
Was that an overtime game? Score sounded like it.

Don't think so. Tiger high. Even before I did my 12 year stint in mempho hated them cuz of baseball. Polk always getting tossed up there. I remember him explaining one and he said they were "homering" us. LMAO. I remember listening to tiger high radio when they were in Vegas and their announcer bitched about a call strike and said "no wonder they win so much". 17 them.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-12-2021, 02:56 PM
Im not going to spend one minute worrying about a team that gave up 50 points to Arky St.

"I'm not going to spend one minute worrying about a team that gave up 34 points to Louisiana Tech" .... Memphis fan

Just saying every game is different and you should always bring your 1A team unless your name is Alabama.

Offshore Dawg
09-12-2021, 03:11 PM
nothing like getting a head start on crapping on the team.

I just typed this to see how much V cash I had left.

bet against Vandy they learn how to score
bet on bama they shit the bed by bama standards
Georgia kind of saved me,

maroonmania
09-12-2021, 03:12 PM
Outside of TN State, I'm worried about every game. Loved the win yesterday but our offense still needs lots of work. We still have long stretches where we don't produce anything. Yesterday we had 5 yards of offense in the entire 1st Q. 17 points out of your offense won't be good enough in most games.

msstate7
09-12-2021, 03:15 PM
nothing like getting a head start on crapping on the team.

I just typed this to see how much V cash I had left.

bet against Vandy they learn how to score
bet on bama they shit the bed by bama standards
Georgia kind of saved me,

Todd is a big time optimist.

BorneDawg
09-12-2021, 03:29 PM
Your about as positive as Brian Hadad!

Maroonthirteen
09-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Memphis definitely gets hyped up for a SEC game. I believe they beat OM the last two times OM played there. We should win the game on talent, but it will be a contest. We can't make mistakes and kill our own drives. Score score score.

Our defense will be their toughest test so far. I like what I saw from the defense this weekend and if we carry that effort over to next Saturday. I really like our chances to win.

State 35. Memphis 17

gravedigger
09-12-2021, 05:26 PM
Memphis definitely gets hyped up for a SEC game. I believe they beat OM the last two times OM played there. We should win the game on talent, but it will be a contest. We can't make mistakes and kill our own drives. Score score score.

Our defense will be their toughest test so far. I like what I saw from the defense this weekend and if we carry that effort over to next Saturday. I really like our chances to win.

State 35. Memphis 17

been a while, i think.

Maroonthirteen
09-12-2021, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure 1993 was our last loss to them. I worked with a former Memphis Tiger player. He told me more than once about how good they looked in practice. I was young and talking smack. That was a tough Monday.

I think 2003 was their next best chance to beat us. They had a really good team with Deangelo Williams. We were bad. I thought for sure they'd beat us. They didn't. Good win that day. The day Jackie and Tommy West had a long post game hand shake.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2021, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure 1993 was our last loss to them. I worked with a former Memphis Tiger player. He told me more than once about how good they looked in practice. I was young and talking smack. That was a tough Monday.

I think 2003 was their next best chance to beat us. They had a really good team with Deangelo Williams. We were bad. I thought for sure they'd beat us. They didn't. Good win that day. The day Jackie and Tommy West had a long post game hand shake.

Yes, '93 was our last loss. We have won 12 straight against them now, but haven't played since '11.

Ari Gold
09-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Defense travels.
Unless we turn it over a bunch this game shouldn’t be a problem

TrapGame
09-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Defense travels.

I watched the highlights of the Memphis/Arkansas St. game. Both defenses were atrocious. The Memphis QB was throwing to wide open guys w/ zero pressure on him. The defense he'll see next Saturday is a different beast altogether.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2021, 06:13 PM
I watched the highlights of the Memphis/Arkansas St. game. Both defenses were atrocious. The Memphis QB was throwing to wide open guys w/ zero pressure on him. The defense he'll see next Saturday is a different beast altogether.

Yeah Memphis defense is bad. They have some fast skill players on offense but their defense sucks.

OLJWales
09-12-2021, 06:55 PM

Oh....that was nasty. Involved JLD. Lived in same complex with Tulane's DC and we became friends. Same year they beat us in the Dome. He knew one of our position coaches who said he begged JWS not to fire JLD. those were not the best of times.

Jarius
09-12-2021, 07:08 PM
The biggest concern I have is that we are an immature team. We are on the road for the first time with a young team. It won’t be a true road game but still. They will be fired up and they have an offense good enough to score on us. Mike Leach has a bad history with these type teams and consistency so I will forever worry about these games we “should” win while he is our coach. It’s going to be the opposite of Mullen with Leach. There is no telling if we are gonna beat Memphis but we may also beat a team or 2 we have no business competing with.

Westdawg
09-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Memphis has come a long way the past 7-10 years with football.
They have a ton of solid 3⭐️ players on that roster who carry big chips on their soldier against P5 teams because they were overlooked.
I?m not saying we should or could lose, but they have enough talent to upset us if we don?t take care of business.

Captain Falcon
09-12-2021, 08:29 PM
It?s by no means a sure win. But if we play well we should be fine.

TrapGame
09-12-2021, 08:38 PM
It?s by no means a sure win. But if we play well we should be fine.

Yep. The offense needs to really show something in this game.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2021, 08:47 PM
If you take anyone for granted in sports it can bite you square on the old keester

Schultzy
09-12-2021, 08:54 PM
5-7
Unless we improve offensively

Bothrops
09-12-2021, 08:57 PM
This game is going to be tougher than NC State. Not because they are a better team but because of their scheme and because it's Super Bowl time in their yard.

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2021, 09:08 PM
I always fear injuries when we play on the turf.

tireddawg
09-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Don't be

R2Dawg
09-12-2021, 09:18 PM
Yep. The offense needs to really show something in this game.

Yep this is the game I expect or hope to see the O look more pretty against a suspect D. If we don't look good on O, then SEC year will be tough. Be similar to 07 when we road our D to 8 wins.

DawgFan85
09-12-2021, 09:39 PM
I saw Gabriel Rogers father the other day. Rogers is #9 for the Tigers and plays WR. Played at Callaway High School. His dad said that they had this game circled on their schedules and have been talking about it since last year. Hope we take them serous and show up for the game. I think we will.

Todd4State
09-12-2021, 09:51 PM
The biggest concern I have is that we are an immature team. We are on the road for the first time with a young team. It won’t be a true road game but still. They will be fired up and they have an offense good enough to score on us. Mike Leach has a bad history with these type teams and consistency so I will forever worry about these games we “should” win while he is our coach. It’s going to be the opposite of Mullen with Leach. There is no telling if we are gonna beat Memphis but we may also beat a team or 2 we have no business competing with.

Exactly. We're immature. And I'm worried about Rogers checking everything in creation down. But the biggest worry I have is us turning the ball over a ton.

OLJWales
09-12-2021, 10:11 PM
I always fear injuries when we play on the turf.

Shit. Thought liberty bowl was still grass.

Sabretooth
09-12-2021, 11:30 PM
Memphis will be better than NC State or La Tech.

TNDawg35
09-13-2021, 03:31 AM
Memphis stats so far this year....
U of M offense
- 49.5 PPG
- 680 passing yards for season/ 42 comp/69 attempts
- 594 rushing for season/ 89 attempts
- 3 sacks allowed, 0 interceptions, 4 fumbles/0 lost
- 637 yards per game, 297 rushing/340 passing

U of M Defense
- 33.5 PPG
- 781 passing yards for season/ 390.5 per game
- 198 rushing for season/ 99 yrds per game
- 2 sacks for season
- 1 interception

Looking at this, we have always thought they were a pass heavy team. This doesn't look to be the case. They are pretty balanced by stats. They dont really turn the ball over, yet they don't force turnovers either. The stats show they can score, but they also are pretty dang bad on defense. Like really bad.

They gave up 50 to Arkansas State and 17 to Nicholls State. 299 yards to Nicholls State and 680 yards to Arkansas State (this was NOT an OT game).

They can stretch the field passing. The have one receiver averaging 143ypg. The next closest is 70ypg.

Hopefully Will and Company can get in a groove and score some points. This may very well be one of the worst defenses we play all year besides TN State.

TNDawg35
09-13-2021, 03:31 AM

HA!! This is so wrong its funny... NC State would beat the shit out of Memphis.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 07:07 AM
Defense travels.

But our defense stops the run. It does not stop the pass well. Our DL gets almost zero pass rush.

NC state was a great matchup for us bc they are run first and that feeds into our strength.

Plus it will be their super bowl and we likely will sleep walk. I am much more worried about this game matchup wise than I was NC state.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 07:10 AM

I agree bc NC state would line up and run all over them.

Unfortunately we can't do that. And our passing game is meh at best.

Memphis will score on us. We will have to score. And that's what worries me. The matchup is bad.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 07:12 AM

Ding

Leroy Jenkins
09-13-2021, 07:18 AM
But our defense stops the run. It does not stop the pass well. Our DL gets almost zero pass rush.

NC state was a great matchup for us bc they are run first and that feeds into our strength.

NCST attempted to pass the ball 51 times vs us last week for 1 TD and 2 picks.

Also, any Sacks/hurries/TFL's from a 3-Down front are a bonus; those are going to come from the LBs.

Sabretooth
09-13-2021, 07:41 AM

Ok

Duckdog
09-13-2021, 08:16 AM
I aint worried about nothing, WE BACK BABY!!!

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 09:07 AM

Bullshit.

TrapGame
09-13-2021, 09:38 AM

I smell a Tiger amongst the Dawgs.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Bullshit.

Offensively, they are better. And a horrible matchup for us. Football is about matchups, unless one team is just way more talented than the other.

Nc state wants to fight you in a phone booth. We are built to stop that. Memphis not so much. Plus Memphis likes tempo, which we struggle with.

I defended us all last week while people like C34 were saying NC state was 10 points better than us. I don't like the matchup this week though.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 09:48 AM

Enforcer? I smell Kitty cat shit

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 09:54 AM
Offensively, they are better. And a horrible matchup for us. Football is about matchups, unless one team is just way more talented than the other.

Nc state wants to fight you in a phone booth. We are built to stop that. Memphis not so much. Plus Memphis likes tempo, which we struggle with.

I defended us all last week while people like C34 were saying NC state was 10 points better than us. I don't like the matchup this week though.

I understand they have some talented skill players but are you not looking at how bad their defense is? They gave up 600 yards passing and 50 points to ark state. Now I'm by no means saying this is a sure win or that we can't screw it up because you can't look past anyone. That being said while the do have a very good offense they can't stop anyone, and while it sounds weird we do run clock when we are on offense which will limit their possessions. Also i have confidence that Arnett will have a solid game plan and have us ready to play. Once again I'm not counting this as a win until we have actually won the game. Just pointing out they have flaws just like we do.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 10:06 AM
I understand they have some talented skill players but are you not looking at how bad their defense is? They gave up 600 yards passing and 50 points to ark state. Now I'm by no means saying this is a sure win or that we can't screw it up because you can't look past anyone. That being said while the do have a very good offense they can't stop anyone, and while it sounds weird we do run clock when we are on offense which will limit their possessions. Also i have confidence that Arnett will have a solid game plan and have us ready to play. Once again I'm not counting this as a win until we have actually won the game. Just pointing out they have flaws just like we do.

600 yds passing given up to ark state? Now I'm even more confident.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2021, 10:15 AM
600 yds passing given up to ark state? Now I'm even more confident.

Well 582 actually and 5 tds, using 2 different QBs and 98 yards rushing, and only 2 sacks on 66 pass attempts. Which means nothing when we play them. I'm just pointing out we are a bad matchup for them, just like some think they are a bad matchup for us. You cannot over look anyone on your schedule for sure, just ask florida state.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Well 582 actually and 5 tds, using 2 different QBs and 98 yards rushing, and only 2 sacks on 66 pass attempts. Which means nothing when we play them. I'm just pointing out we are a bad matchup for them, just like some think they are a bad matchup for us. You cannot over look anyone on your schedule for sure, just ask florida state.

Yep but we are gonna go off on their secondary and Arnett and his playas gonna keep mempho in check. Not seeing matchup issues here.

TrapGame
09-13-2021, 10:44 AM

If we have a lot of trouble scoring on Memphis' defense then I'll get concerned about Will's abilities.

Leroy Jenkins
09-13-2021, 11:44 AM

They may be a bad matchup for us, but we are a far worse matchup for them.

Sabretooth
09-13-2021, 11:47 AM
I smell a Tiger amongst the Dawgs.

I did time at both schools. I live in Memphis & go to Memphis games but still occasionally making it down to Starkville. I?ll root for Memphis but it won?t break my heart either way.

HancockCountyDog
09-13-2021, 12:03 PM
I just don't see how they score against our defense. I think we are pretty damn good. We may not score 40+, but I think we score 30+ which should be more than enough.

Jack Lambert
09-13-2021, 12:17 PM
Ding

Same bunch of guys that went over to GA and played the best game all season.

Jack Lambert
09-13-2021, 12:18 PM
I just don't see how they score against our defense. I think we are pretty damn good. We may not score 40+, but I think we score 30+ which should be more than enough.

I also think our offense is going to eat up the clock.

msstate7
09-13-2021, 12:18 PM

We better clean up the backend of our defense this week. We've left guys open there for 2 weeks now

IMissJack
09-13-2021, 01:00 PM
I always hate this game. It is usually closer than it should be.

Coach34
09-13-2021, 01:13 PM
Here's what people are looking at:

Se Louisiana put 600 yards on La Tech's Defense this past Saturday
Offensively we have struggled alot
We arent a physical offensive team that would wear Memphis down on D. Memphis is gonna rush 3/Drop 8 and play zone almost all day.
Our run D is very good and we are physical. Memphis is going to play a speed game and make us chase them.

ESPN FPI has it at a damn near toss-up 50.7/49.3

Should we win by 10 or so? Sure. Will We? TBD

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 01:15 PM
STATE

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;1361105]Here's what people are looking at:

Se Louisiana put 600 yards on La Tech's Defense this past Saturday
Offensively we have struggled alot
We arent a physical offensive team that would wear Memphis down on D. Memphis is gonna rush 3/Drop 8 and play zone almost all day.
Our run D is very good and we are physical. Memphis is going to play a speed game and make us chase them.

ESPN FPI has it at a damn near toss-up 50.7/49.3

Should we win by 10 or so? Sure. Will We? TBD[/QUOTE

SE LA putting up 600 on Tech doesn't give me warm fuzzies

KOdawg1
09-13-2021, 01:38 PM
If our D has a weakness, it's pass defense. Memphis is going to air it out.

Todd4State
09-13-2021, 01:41 PM
SE LA putting up 600 on Tech doesn't give me warm fuzzies

TBD. We ripped out La Tech's heart in week one which may have affected them that game as well as likely overlooking SELU.

I'm not sure how good or bad La Tech really is.

confucius say
09-13-2021, 02:20 PM
We better clean up the backend of our defense this week. We've left guys open there for 2 weeks now

2 seasons in a row

confucius say
09-13-2021, 02:21 PM
If our D has a weakness, it's pass defense. Memphis is going to air it out.

And super fast tempo. We struggle with it.

When teams go slower, even a slow no huddle, and try to run it then our defense handles them.

thf24
09-13-2021, 03:23 PM
I'm sure Memphis plans to attack us deep, but they've got a true freshman QB who's played pretty well as such thus far but hasn't seen nearly the level of athleticism and chaos from the defensive front in his first two games that he'll get from us. As long as we come to play, it seems unlikely he has the time or composure to exploit us deep repeatedly.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 03:29 PM
I'm sure Memphis plans to attack us deep, but they've got a true freshman QB who's played pretty well as such thus far but hasn't seen nearly the level of athleticism and chaos from the defensive front in his first two games that he'll get from us. As long as we come to play, it seems unlikely he has the time or composure to exploit us deep repeatedly.

Didn't know their QB was a true rook. Just grew some extra wool.

LC Dawg
09-13-2021, 04:46 PM
I can't see Memphis being more "up" for playing us in Memphis than NC State was for playing an SEC team on the road. If we are Memphis's Super Bowl then we were at least NC State's Conference Championship Game (Clemson being their Super Bowl). I don't think we lose unless we turn the ball over a few times. Our defense cleaned some stuff up from week 1 to week 2 and I expect to clean up a few things from week 3 and be even better.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 06:34 PM
I can't see Memphis being more "up" for playing us in Memphis than NC State was for playing an SEC team on the road. If we are Memphis's Super Bowl then we were at least NC State's Conference Championship Game (Clemson being their Super Bowl). I don't think we lose unless we turn the ball over a few times. Our defense cleaned some stuff up from week 1 to week 2 and I expect to clean up a few things from week 3 and be even better.

Lived in Memphis 12 years. You must have no idea how much retarded hate they have for STATE.

was21
09-13-2021, 06:51 PM
you should be worried

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 07:21 PM
you should be worried

Don't live in Memphis anymore. Their fans are nothing but bitter assholes. The 17ing game became as important to me as the egg bowl from '87 to '99 due to them.

calidawg
09-13-2021, 07:42 PM
This is a trap game for us. It's going to be a barn burner.

tcdog70
09-13-2021, 08:07 PM
Dammit, you boys have little faith. We will beat Memphis State.

OLJWales
09-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Dammit, you boys have little faith. We will beat Memphis State.

Yep. And HARD.

CaptainObvious
09-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Bump