PDA

View Full Version : Balance run/pass

Cowbell
09-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Two of the better offenses in the league last night passed at a 77% & 78% rate last night because neither could establish the run game. And both were unstoppable unless they stopped them selves most of the time. Short passes are an extension of the run. The game has changed. But somehow, play action still worked for both which I think is huge.

KOdawg1
09-10-2021, 12:46 PM
We don't do nearly enough play action.

Homedawg
09-10-2021, 01:17 PM
We don't do nearly enough play action.

We never run. PA won't hold the LB's to the same degree it would for a Dan Mullen team. LB had to play run first. Not w CML

thf24
09-10-2021, 01:24 PM
It's not nearly about the run/pass split like some here harp on as much as it is simply not being predictable. I think KO's right that we need to incorporate some more play action even if we don't intend to hand it off any more than we did last week.

I also still think we have too many execution issues to draw any hard conclusions on supposed schematic flaws. I'm looking to see if our improved OL play in the 4th quarter last week is something real that we build on, or if it was just La Tech wearing down. Not to mention at this point the longer we continue to see execution issues, the more of a whole different indictment it becomes on Leach.

thf24
09-10-2021, 01:28 PM
We never run. PA won't hold the LB's to the same degree it would for a Dan Mullen team. LB had to play run first. Not w CML

Analytics in the NFL continually show there's not a strong correlation between the strength and frequency of a team's running game and its production off play action; it's more about how well the fake is executed. While college and the pros are obviously two different games, I would think that trend would be even greater in college with less collective discipline and athleticism.

MrCoachKlein
09-10-2021, 01:29 PM

Very common misconception. Rush attempts have no correlation to the success of PA.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2021, 01:30 PM
It's not nearly about the run/pass split like some here harp on as much as it is simply not being predictable. I think KO's right that we need to incorporate some more play action even if we don't intend to hand it off any more than we did last week.

I also still think we have too many execution issues to draw any hard conclusions on supposed schematic flaws. I'm looking to see if our improved OL play in the 4th quarter last week is something real that we build on, or if it was just La Tech wearing down. Not to mention at this point the longer we continue to see execution issues, the more of a whole different indictment it becomes on Leach.

First our Oline has to actually block people. In the 4th quarter we finally blocked consistently. We have had too many times that 4 guys block 2 and 1 guy doesn't block anyone while a defender runs free. We can talk about wide splits and whatever else but it doesn't matter if we are attempting to block the wrong guys almost every play.

confucius say
09-10-2021, 01:34 PM

I still think we should do it. 14 runs last week. While I think that number needs to be 21, it's enough that it's a possibility.

Tbonewannabe
Very common misconception. Rush attempts have no correlation to the success of PA.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing

Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.

thf24
First our Oline has to actually block people. In the 4th quarter we finally blocked consistently. We have had too many times that 4 guys block 2 and 1 guy doesn't block anyone while a defender runs free. We can talk about wide splits and whatever else but it doesn't matter if we are attempting to block the wrong guys almost every play.

Exactly, OL play is primarily the execution issues I'm referring to.

KOdawg1
09-10-2021, 02:31 PM

I'm aware that it wouldn't be the same as a dan Mullen team. That's not what I'm saying. But it would just give them something to think about. Literally wouldn't hurt anything

Cowbell
09-10-2021, 03:30 PM
I'm aware that it wouldn't be the same as a dan Mullen team. That's not what I'm saying. But it would just give them something to think about. Literally wouldn't hurt anything

Yes, especially in run heavy situations like 1st down and short yardage

BayouDawg
09-10-2021, 08:58 PM

We did a play action on the tunnel screen to Calvin for a td. Worked well as it froze the linebackers long enough for the blocks to set up.

OLJWales
09-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Would be interested to know how many play actions and draws we ran Saturday.