PDA

View Full Version : Stats from LT Game, what does this tell you?

R2Dawg
09-08-2021, 11:35 AM
First, this is not a Will thread. Will set a school record 83% completion rate. He completed 39 passes.

At the same time we had to come back down 20 to LT at home to win by 1.

For most teams if you complete 83% and complete 39 passes, it is a different game.

What does that mean? So if we don't complete nearly 80% and 35-40 completions, we are gonna lose? Mighty big targets for any team, especially in the SEC.

BayouDawg
09-08-2021, 11:37 AM
I think for the most part it speaks to how turnovers and self inflicted wounds make it hard to beat anyone.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-08-2021, 11:45 AM
I think for the most part it speaks to how turnovers and self inflicted wounds make it hard to beat anyone.

^^^This^^^

Plus the fact that we had only 65 net yards rushing even though we have 2 of the best backs in the SEC.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 12:02 PM
^^^This^^^

Plus the fact that we had only 65 net yards rushing even though we have 2 of the best backs in the SEC.

This. If we can't do bettern that against 3 man fronts we are screwed

Dawgology
09-08-2021, 12:16 PM
That and our defense took the 2nd and 3rd quarter off.

Cowbell
09-08-2021, 12:24 PM

Yep. If you are gonna have 15 play drives, you can't afford to take a step back. Same thing with the Cowboys the last few years.

Leroy Jenkins
09-08-2021, 02:24 PM
What does that mean?

It means that when you fumble 3 times, and throw a pick-6, it is really hard to win.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2021, 02:41 PM
When you throw the ball 40 plus times a game you are going to have interceptions. It is just going to happen.

Jack Lambert
09-08-2021, 02:42 PM
It means that when you fumble 3 times, and throw a pick-6, it is really hard to win.

But a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores did. That comeback will do wonders in the locker room, practice field and future games.

Leroy Jenkins
09-08-2021, 02:44 PM
When you throw the ball 40 plus times a game you are going to have interceptions. It is just going to happen.

Agree. Sometimes the other guys just make a good play. But, that pick-6 was a poor decision. Growing pains of a young QB.

Dolphus Raymond
09-08-2021, 02:46 PM
I know I keep harping on this, but his completion rate would have been even higher if not for two dropped balls. The first drop would have probably gone for a touchdown.
Saturday will answer a lot of questions and based on what I saw in the 4th quarter, I am very optimistic.

TrapGame
09-08-2021, 03:52 PM
But a bunch of Freshman and Sophomores did. That comeback will do wonders in the locker room, practice field and future games.

And it needs to impact Saturday's game immensely.

Cowbell
09-08-2021, 03:58 PM
I know I keep harping on this, but his completion rate would have been even higher if not for two dropped balls. The first drop would have probably gone for a touchdown.
Saturday will answer a lot of questions and based on what I saw in the 4th quarter, I am very optimistic.

The other thing I think people discount is to see a true sophomore get that kind of rate in a opening game of the season with rust, nerves, crowd etc. It's not like 3-4 games into the season. Will is gonna make mistakes but overall he will just continue to improve from here. People are going to look back one day and realize that they did not have proper perspective when judging him.

Captain Falcon
09-08-2021, 04:00 PM
Four turnovers and 12 penalties negated a lot of Will's success.

Penalties and o-line play are obvious issues to fix. The turnover bug was interesting, because usually when you think turnovers you think interceptions, especially with a team that passes as often as we do. But three of our four TO's were fumbles. We only lost 7 fumbles all last season and had 3 of those on Saturday. Our most in a game since the 2017 Egg Bowl. That part of it feels kinda fluky.

I still generally trust Will's ability to protect the ball. Our turnover situation improved drastically when he became the starting QB last year. He made an atrocious throw on first down that resulted in a pick six and he can't do that crap, but for the most part that's not really been who he is as a passer.

TrapGame
09-08-2021, 04:04 PM
The other thing I think people discount is to see a true sophomore get that kind of rate in a opening game of the season with rust, nerves, crowd etc. It's not like 3-4 games into the season. Will is gonna make mistakes but overall he will just continue to improve from here. People are going to look back one day and realize that they did not have proper perspective when judging him.

We have some people projecting their hatred of Leach toward Will. The kid's a true sophomore not a 5th year senior.

Cowbell
09-08-2021, 04:07 PM
We have some people projecting their hatred of Leach toward Will. The kid's a true sophomore not a 5th year senior.
I have not found a true sophomore on any team anywhere that I would rather have than this Mississippi boy

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 04:08 PM

I'm still clingin to hope cuz we got so many yutes

Catfish
09-08-2021, 04:27 PM
I have not found a true sophomore on any team anywhere that I would rather have than this Mississippi boy

Yes!! Totally agree!!

R2Dawg
09-08-2021, 08:43 PM

Well I didn't say anything about those two but since you did.

Well LT also turned it over and we scored 14 off of them. The pick 6 seems to be common in Leach's O.

We also got a huge kick return that flipped the field like a TO.

So from your stats and my stats we have to play a perfect game in our system to get a regular win (not a record come from behind kind).

R2Dawg
09-08-2021, 08:46 PM

When you throw the ball 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them is bad especially when you throw 80% of time.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 08:55 PM

Yep

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 08:57 PM
When you throw the ball 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them is bad especially when you throw 80% of time.

Famous quote. Did The Barrrr coin that one? JWS said that a time or two if memory serves.

R2Dawg
09-08-2021, 09:02 PM
Famous quote. Did The Barrrr coin that one? JWS said that a time or two if memory serves.

I don't remember who said it but unlike other cliche comments that are shallow, that one is nothing but truth. Why if we only going to get 1 yard throwing a high risk throw to the sidelines just run the dang ball for one yard. Too many checkdowns that are high risk low return throws.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 09:05 PM
I don't remember who said it but unlike other cliche comments that are shallow, that one is nothing but truth. Why if we only going to get 1 yard throwing a high risk throw to the sidelines just run the dang ball for one yard. Too many checkdowns that are high risk low return throws.

Would a faster tempo help?

R2Dawg
09-08-2021, 09:16 PM
Would a faster tempo help?

Maybe, faster decision making would help. By the time the checkdown happens the D has closed on the checkdown and jump the route for a TFL, one yard gain or int.

Half our routes don't scare any D either. Flat crossing routes with no real threat just run somewhere and turn for a short pass. We seem to be happy with a 3 yard pass every 2-3 plays in a row. We did throw a few more vertical throws in 4th quarter.

Run more and get the ball out quicker.