PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Locker Room Leach

TrapGame
09-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Listening to Matt Wyatt this afternoon he mentioned he heard about Leach's locker room speech post game. He said it was "colorful" and Leach called out the quitters. He told them if they wanted to quit, he and the coaches were going to make them quit.

Dawgology
09-06-2021, 05:07 PM
It?s like the second coming of JWS

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 05:51 PM
It?s like the second coming of JWS

Differences are this:

- In JWS' offense, a missed block just equaled a running play for no gain or a 2 yard loss. In Leach's, the QB gets the 17 knocked out of him & a potential fumble happens.

- In JWS' offense, the more talented team could impose their will, while in Leach's offense everyone has to execute but you have a better chance at upsetting people

preachermatt83
09-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Listening to Matt Wyatt this afternoon he mentioned he heard about Leach's locker room speech post game. He said it was "colorful" and Leach called out the quitters. He told them if they wanted to quit, he and the coaches were going to make them quit.

He kinda indicated in the post game press conference that it was about to be a bad week for some of those who tried to “quit”

CadaverDawg
09-06-2021, 06:43 PM
I appreciate him doing that, but what does it say about the job he and his staff are doing if he has quitters in game 1? Yikes

OLJWales
09-06-2021, 06:51 PM
I appreciate him doing that, but what does it say about the job he and his staff are doing if he has quitters in game 1? Yikes

Im thinkin all teams have a few bad apples; some coaches mention it while others don't

Cowbell
09-06-2021, 06:52 PM

This concerns me the most. This is a different era and kids have to be coached differently than 20 years ago as well. There is a thin line between them accepting responsibility and them hitting the portal. We don't need another season of what happened last year.

StarkVegasSteve
09-06-2021, 06:59 PM
This concerns me the most. This is a different era and kids have to be coached differently than 20 years ago as well. There is a thin line between them accepting responsibility and them hitting the portal. We don't need another season of what happened last year.

Last year was excusable because he got here in January and then they did not have a spring or summer. He and the staff didn?t get a chance to see what they had and evaluate during the spring and summer. However, if this stuff is still happening then we have a MAJOR problem and we need to find a way to address it QUICKLY. Leach does this everywhere he goes though. I mean his postgame rants are all over YouTube and he regularly has called out players for being soft, quitting, listening to the outside noise, etc.

Saying all that, until the culture is built he is going to have to accept that he might have 3 or 4 on a team. He can?t just run everyone off that is not lock and step with him or he won?t get the opportunity to build a culture because his ass will be back in Key West after year 4.

maroonmania
09-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Im thinkin all teams have a few bad apples; some coaches mention it while others don't

Yea, but they have already been through a 10 game season with most all of these guys plus a Spring practice. I thought the vast majority of bad apples were supposed to have been identified last year and left? Pretty lousy excuse at this point.

DownwardDawg
09-06-2021, 07:40 PM

I agree. I just don't think Leach is gonna work out here. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm still surprised he got hired at State.

OLJWales
09-06-2021, 07:49 PM
Yea, but they have already been through a 10 game season with most all of these guys plus a Spring practice. I thought the vast majority of bad apples were supposed to have been identified last year and left? Pretty lousy excuse at this point.

And you may have a point too

R2Dawg
09-06-2021, 08:12 PM

Yes this will be a problem in 2021 and beyond for MSU with Leach. In year one you expect some of that with a new coach. This is year 2 and we got guys he is playing that ain't on board. Not good.

If Leach works at all this looks like a Croom style decade rebuild for the one year he puts it all together. That ain't what we want.

lefty96
09-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Nothing soothes an ugly game like hearing the players are gonna get theirs. Where have I heard this before?

Gutter Cobreh
09-06-2021, 08:37 PM

We did complete the largest comeback in school history. It may be semantics in choice of wording, but let's be honest - no one on this board or watching that game thought we'd be making the comeback to win - so is it really that surprising some on the sideline thought it was a lost cause?

maroonmania
09-06-2021, 09:00 PM
We did complete the largest comeback in school history. It may be semantics in choice of wording, but let's be honest - no one on this board or watching that game thought we'd be making the comeback to win - so is it really that surprising some on the sideline thought it was a lost cause?

I agree, I don't believe there is going to be any kind of bloodletting this week at practice. Now if we had actually lost to La Tech 34-14 I'm sure there would have been, but we didn't.

bulldawg28
09-06-2021, 09:06 PM
Last year was excusable because he got here in January and then they did not have a spring or summer. He and the staff didn?t get a chance to see what they had and evaluate during the spring and summer. However, if this stuff is still happening then we have a MAJOR problem and we need to find a way to address it QUICKLY. Leach does this everywhere he goes though. I mean his postgame rants are all over YouTube and he regularly has called out players for being soft, quitting, listening to the outside noise, etc.

Saying all that, until the culture is built he is going to have to accept that he might have 3 or 4 on a team. He can?t just run everyone off that is not lock and step with him or he won?t get the opportunity to build a culture because his ass will be back in Key West after year 4.

Truth, he can't keep running people off. He needs to look into the mirror.

CaptainObvious
09-06-2021, 09:10 PM
Nah. He probably read the message boards during the game and saw all the negativity and he is talking about the fan quitters. You guys better get ready to run the bleachers!!!

Percho
09-06-2021, 10:12 PM
All ya'll can pound sand or kick rocks.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 10:23 PM
Yes this will be a problem in 2021 and beyond for MSU with Leach. In year one you expect some of that with a new coach. This is year 2 and we got guys he is playing that ain't on board. Not good.

If Leach works at all this looks like a Croom style decade rebuild for the one year he puts it all together. That ain't what we want.

Goodness, you guys are complaining about what Leach said after HIS TEAM just made the largest the comeback in school history?

Evidence shows that they didn't quit. It's pretty astounding evidence that they actually didn't quit. Perhaps he's just challenging them to a higher level, but to be worried about players quitting after the largest comeback in school history seems pretty absurd

Hot Rock
09-06-2021, 10:30 PM
It?s evident to me we a fan base that won?t give him a chance. We had some players quitting down 20 in the 4th. He is addressing it. Shut up yoh stupid punk snowflakes.

Bothrops
09-06-2021, 10:42 PM
We better hope Leach works out. Better hope that.

Cowbell
09-06-2021, 10:53 PM
Goodness, you guys are complaining about what Leach said after HIS TEAM just made the largest the comeback in school history?

Evidence shows that they didn't quit. It's pretty astounding evidence that they actually didn't quit. Perhaps he's just challenging them to a higher level, but to be worried about players quitting after the largest comeback in school history seems pretty absurd

Gun - leach is the one that called them out and called them quitters in his post game pressor - said they were going to address it this week. Not us.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-06-2021, 11:13 PM
"Greatest Comeback in School History". What does that say about our program, that in a hundred plus years of playing and I'm sure a significant number of games where we were behind in the score (16 points or more) we finally came out on top at the end of the game. Not a good look for MSU football. This is what you would call a positive negative. Great that we were finally able to come out on top, but bad that we probably had many opportunities to do it.

BayouDawg
09-07-2021, 12:03 AM
For perspective we have had squeakers against G5 schools most years. 2014 2017 and 2018 may be the only exceptions in the last 10 or so years.

2010 we had to come from behind to beat UAB
2011 we had to force overtime to beat LA Tech
2012 we nearly lost to Troy
2013 we beat Bowling Green by 1
2015 we were losing or barely ahead of USM at the half
2016 South Alabama and Peter sirmon

As frustrating as Saturday was it is much better to be frustrated and 1-0.

I say all this to try and put things in perspective that struggling against G5 teams isnt something that is new for us. It has happened more years than not. So lets just all take a deep breath and relax.

Quaoarsking
09-07-2021, 12:10 AM
For perspective we have had squeakers against G5 schools most years. 2014 2017 and 2018 may be the only exceptions in the last 10 or so years.

I say all this to try and put things in perspective that struggling against G5 teams isnt something that is new for us. It has happened more years than not. So lets just all take a deep breath and relax.

I'll add a couple more:

2016 - needed to block a FG on the last play to beat 6-7 Miami (OH) in the bowl game
2017 - never really put away 4-8 UMass

Of all the teams listed above, only Bowling Green (10-4) and Southern Miss (9-5) were decent. I suspect 2021 Louisiana Tech will fall into that category too, but time will tell.

Gutter Cobreh
09-07-2021, 12:14 AM
"Greatest Comeback in School History". What does that say about our program, that in a hundred plus years of playing and I'm sure a significant number of games where we were behind in the score (16 points or more) we finally came out on top at the end of the game. Not a good look for MSU football. This is what you would call a positive negative. Great that we were finally able to come out on top, but bad that we probably had many opportunities to do it.

Based on statistical probability, we had a 7% chance of winning that game after they kicked the FG to go up 20 in the 4th quarter. While we should have never allowed ourselves to be in that situation, making a comeback like that shouldn't happen. Holtz played not to lose and we finally made some adjustments. Comebacks like that don't happen against superior opponents.

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Gun - leach is the one that called them out and called them quitters in his post game pressor - said they were going to address it this week. Not us.

Yeah, I guess he missed that part.

parabrave
09-07-2021, 03:05 AM
He kinda indicated in the post game press conference that it was about to be a bad week for some of those who tried to “quit”

I want to see the Backstroke to the 50. I just want to know WTF has he and his staff been doing. This shouldn't be necessary.

99jc
09-07-2021, 05:45 AM
At least he didn't say they needed to be executed.

bulldawg28
09-07-2021, 05:50 AM
It?s evident to me we a fan base that won?t give him a chance. We had some players quitting down 20 in the 4th. He is addressing it. Shut up yoh stupid punk snowflakes.

It's evident Leach isn't accepting accountability. He ran off nearly an entire team last year. If the remaining players are quitting it shows they no longer believe in him. Leach needs to evolve.

Jarius
09-07-2021, 06:18 AM
Based on statistical probability, we had a 7% chance of winning that game after they kicked the FG to go up 20 in the 4th quarter. While we should have never allowed ourselves to be in that situation, making a comeback like that shouldn't happen. Holtz played not to lose and we finally made some adjustments. Comebacks like that don't happen against superior opponents.

Actually Holtz was way too aggressive on offense after he got up 20. I think I counted 1 run play in his
Possessions where he should Have been salting the clock up 20. Holtz lost that game calling plays like
Someone who wanted to prove he wasn’t taking his Foot off the gas. We didn’t have to use a single timeout to score 3 touchdowns in 12 minutes.

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-07-2021, 06:28 AM
Leach said on postgame interview that it started with him that needed to do better.

Sienfield
09-07-2021, 06:41 AM

Yea, kinda like a National Championship.

Dawgology
09-07-2021, 06:55 AM
At least he didn't say they needed to be executed.

Geez. I watched the ND coach say that live and was embarrassed for him. I really expected more blow back on him but I havent heard much.

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 07:18 AM

Well, its not a shocking statistic given how few times in our history of football we have had a decent passing attack. You aren't going to overcome many 20 point deficits in a game with a power run game.

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 07:23 AM
Actually Holtz was way too aggressive on offense after he got up 20. I think I counted 1 run play in his
Possessions where he should Have been salting the clock up 20. Holtz lost that game calling plays like
Someone who wanted to prove he wasn’t taking his Foot off the gas. We didn’t have to use a single timeout to score 3 touchdowns in 12 minutes.

Given we scored on 3 straight possessions and they went 3 and out twice during those, I don't think their clock management was that big of a deal. In fact, I know when they got the ball the last time there was still well over 5 minutes of play left which they used up in moving into FG range. I don't think a few extra running plays during those three and outs they had would have made any difference except to give them less time on their last possession.

BeardoMSU
09-07-2021, 07:24 AM
Given we scored on 3 straight possessions and they went 3 and out twice during those, I don't think their clock management was that big of a deal. In fact, I know when they got the ball the last time there was still well over 5 minutes of play left which they used up in moving into FG range. I don't think a few extra running plays during those three and outs they had would have made any difference except to give them less time on their last possession.

Yeah. The biggest key was Tulu's return. He allowed us to score super quick and actually open the door for a comeback. Our guys were fired up at that point.

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 07:25 AM
Leach said on postgame interview that it started with him that needed to do better.

Well, as long as he is pointing the thumb and not the finger we know all is well. We learned that much from JoMo. ***

ShotgunDawg
09-07-2021, 07:43 AM
Bo Bounds this morning:

"From a source deep inside the MSU program, "you have no idea the harm Joe Moorhead did to this program."

Maverick91
09-07-2021, 07:54 AM
It's evident Leach isn't accepting accountability. He ran off nearly an entire team last year. If the remaining players are quitting it shows they no longer believe in him. Leach needs to evolve.

How did he not accept accountability? He said multiple times that they have to do a better job of coaching. What he implied is if those individuals don't buy into the coaching that they will have to start swimming or selling Big Gulps.

Which for the record I think is a crazy awesome burn.

Maverick91
09-07-2021, 07:58 AM
Bo Bounds this morning:

"From a source deep inside the MSU program, "you have no idea the harm Joe Moorhead did to this program."

That is interesting and kind off nice to hear, I hope this gets fixed much sooner than later. Like this week would be nice.

Kylesandi338
09-07-2021, 08:28 AM
We have got to have the worst fan base I have ever seen. This same crap went on all baseball season with all these backseat fan coaches thinking they know what is best because they taught their children pewweeeeee football or T-ball. These kids these days are so weak and this society has taught them to quit on their team and transfer if you arent happy. Let Leach coach these kids and threaten them if he needs to. Someone needs to put these kids in their place! If they want to transfer, KICK ROCKS and go! This same non sense garbage spewed on here is the same garbage I heard all baseball season. I am all on board for pointing out where we need to improve or a little criticism. But some of the folks on here will never be HAPPY until we are BAMA.. Its not happening so realize that and you will be alot happier in life. We won the GAME! Be happy. It might of not been a BAMA style win but we won! So take a minute and be happy for once. Its most likely going to be a LONG season! So enjoy a WIN while we get one and enjoy your week!!

SilentSteel16
09-07-2021, 08:54 AM
Yeah. The biggest key was Tulu's return. He allowed us to score super quick and actually open the door for a comeback. Our guys were fired up at that point.

I agree completely. It totally revamped the team. Over under on him taking 3 to the house this year?

Commercecomet24
09-07-2021, 09:01 AM

Folks on here have short term memories. They don't remember that Mullen had at least one of these every year. This week will tell us more about this team.

TrapGame
09-07-2021, 09:02 AM
Bo Bounds this morning:

Yep.

Bo also said yesterday's practice was not a light workout. It was BRUTAL.

Cowbell
09-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Bo Bounds this morning:

You don't have to be deep within the program to realize this LOL

Cowbell
09-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Folks on here have short term memories. They don't remember that Mullen had at least one of these every year. This week will tell us more about this team.

I swear some of our fans have been watching too much Bama or something. We have a QB with 83% completion rating that completed 10 in a row to lead a 3 touchdown comeback and he is "serviceable". We come back to win a game against a well coached team and we act like we have never had to endure a loss so devastating if it would have ended in an L. We act like our Oline isn't the least experienced in the conference. We have the best running back/wr combos probably in the history of this program and we can't find optimism.

TrapGame
09-07-2021, 09:29 AM
I swear some of our fans have been watching too much Bama or something. We have a QB with 83% completion rating that completed 10 in a row to lead a 3 touchdown comeback and he is "serviceable". We come back to win a game against a well coached team and we act like we have never had to endure a loss so devastating if it would have ended in an L. We act like our Oline isn't the least experienced in the conference.

A well coached team with 19 transfers, most w/ D1 level playing experience and an experienced QB that took snaps at Oklahoma and West Virginia.

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2021, 09:32 AM

True. But Bounds has connections and has talking points to get out to the masses. Im translating most of what Bounds says regarding MSU football as......Cohen is saying that Leach will be here 4 years. Be patient.

TrapGame
09-07-2021, 09:34 AM
True. But Bounds has connections and has talking points to get out to the masses. Im translating most of what Bounds says regarding MSU football as......Cohen is saying that Leach will be here 4 years. Be patient.

I translate it as fat little girlfriends better watch out and somebody might get their ass locked in a supply closet.

Cowbell
09-07-2021, 09:38 AM

I know I just couldn't help it

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2021, 09:41 AM
I translate it as fat little girlfriends better watch out and somebody might get their ass locked in a supply closet.

Hahaha. Or doing the back stroke.

I will say. Leach's post game interview was entertaining. Funny.

Captain Falcon
09-07-2021, 09:41 AM

This, plus Leach has his own history of early season clunkers.

In 2004 Texas Tech lost to New Mexico in Week 2.
In 2015 Wazzu lost to Portland State in Week 1.
In 2016 Wazzu lost to Eastern Washington in Week 1.

All three of those teams went on to win 8+ games in spite of totally wetting the bed early in the year. So maybe you can't rule out the scenario where we end up being a pretty competent team that has a good year.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2021, 09:44 AM
I swear some of our fans have been watching too much Bama or something. We have a QB with 83% completion rating that completed 10 in a row to lead a 3 touchdown comeback and he is "serviceable". We come back to win a game against a well coached team and we act like we have never had to endure a loss so devastating if it would have ended in an L. We act like our Oline isn't the least experienced in the conference. We have the best running back/wr combos probably in the history of this program and we can't find optimism.

I try to be a realist. Does this team have things to work on and get better at? Absolutely, plenty. What this team does seem to have is toughness and grit. I think they proved that over and over last year when we played short handed several times because of covid and saturday when they kept battling and found a way to win. There a lot to be said for that. There's been numerous State teams in the past that not only wouldn't have won that game saturday but it would've gotten worse. I always thought this was a 6-7 win team and I still believe that. As young as this team is I also expect them to get better and I think next year will be a really good year. Heck with the way the kids came back and won on Saturday let's at least let the season play out and see what happens.

msugolf
09-07-2021, 09:44 AM

Yep. Bo is on a retainer for Cohen. Cohen has promised to help him out and gives him preferential treatment at games to meet and greet donors/potential clients in return for being a mouthpiece. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

The biggest issue we have is that we decided to switch to the most outdated form of a passing attack in college football. Zero creativity and slow. The Leach diehards can scream to their blue in the face but this offense isn't going to work. Its not explosive enough. 39 completions when 30 of them are within 3-4 yards from the line of scrimmage isn't what I call air raid. More like a pop gun

dawgman15
09-07-2021, 09:51 AM
After reading this thread and seeing how pessimistic most of the "MSU fans" are I think it's time I take a break from Elite Dawgs. It's sad to see how quickly we are willing to turn on a coach when the stats back up that it takes a minimum of three years to get the machine rolling. This kind of thing doesn't happen over night. For all of you saying this offense will never work I fully expect to come back for you to eat crow.

Matt3467
09-07-2021, 09:54 AM

The way some people talk on here I don't think many realize it.

Cowbell
09-07-2021, 09:59 AM
After reading this thread and seeing how pessimistic most of the "MSU fans" are I think it's time I take a break from Elite Dawgs. It's sad to see how quickly we are willing to turn on a coach when the stats back up that it takes a minimum of three years to get the machine rolling. This kind of thing doesn't happen over night. For all of you saying this offense will never work I fully expect to come back for you to eat crow.

Not all of us feel this way so I welcome you to stay - we need the numbers lol

Cowbell
09-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Yep. Bo is on a retainer for Cohen. Cohen has promised to help him out and gives him preferential treatment at games to meet and greet donors/potential clients in return for being a mouthpiece. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

The biggest issue we have is that we decided to switch to the most outdated form of a passing attack in college football. Zero creativity and slow. The Leach diehards can scream to their blue in the face but this offense isn't going to work. Its not explosive enough. 39 completions when 30 of them are within 3-4 yards from the line of scrimmage isn't what I call air raid. More like a pop gun

Only the most explosive 4th quarter comeback we've ever had. No other past offense here would have been able to pull that off.

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 10:02 AM
Hahaha. Or doing the back stroke.

I will say. Leach's post game interview was entertaining. Funny.

Yea, thought it was funny when he said we were probably the most consistent team he has ever had with being inconsistent or something like that.

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 10:04 AM

So essentially Cohen is saying "I really torpedoed our football program with my hire of Moorhead". Thanks John.

TrapGame
09-07-2021, 10:08 AM
So essentially Cohen is saying "I really torpedoed our football program with my hire of Moorhead". Thanks John.

Yeah, Bo's deep source is Cohen. And Cohen basically told him "I totally ****ed up hiring Moorhead."

maroonmania
09-07-2021, 10:11 AM

Geez people. Guess this offense became outdated just since 2019. In 2019 WSU was 7th in total offense and 11th in points per game in all of FBS.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/season/2019

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2021, 10:12 AM
I try to be a realist. Does this team have things to work on and get better at? Absolutely, plenty. What this team does seem to have is toughness and grit. I think they proved that over and over last year when we played short handed several times because of covid and saturday when they kept battling and found a way to win. There a lot to be said for that. There's been numerous State teams in the past that not only wouldn't have won that game saturday but it would've gotten worse. I always thought this was a 6-7 win team and I still believe that. As young as this team is I also expect them to get better and I think next year will be a really good year. Heck with the way the kids came back and won on Saturday let's at least let the season play out and see what happens.

Last year they learned to battle adversity in order to compete. Now they have to learn how to battle through adversity to win. I look at Saturday as a potential stepping stone. It's real similar to when Mullen took over - he said he had to teach the program how to win. I think Leach is having to re-teach that same lesson.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Last year they learned to battle adversity in order to compete. Now they have to learn how to battle through adversity to win. I look at Saturday as a potential stepping stone. It's real similar to when Mullen took over - he said he had to teach the program how to win. I think Leach is having to re-teach that same lesson.

I agree.

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2021, 11:23 AM
The fact that John Cohen may be telling people that the reason his current hire doesn't look great is because of the first hire he made is comical.

This is like the story (I think it was in Traffic) of the new leader of a small country. The previous leader resigned, but before he did he sat down and left the new leader two letters and the first one said "open when you get in a jam that you can't get out of". Leader gets in a jam and opens the first letter and it says "Blame everything on me". Worked like a charm the people blamed the previous leader and all was well.

The second letter said "open when you get in another jam that you can't get out of". Leader gets in another jam, opens the second letter and it says "Sit down and write two letters."

The fact that people are buying into the Joe Moorhead wrecked our program is just ridiculous. Joe Moorhead was not a good coach, but to act like he left Leach a steaming pile of shit on his doorstop is just nuts. He left him enough talent to beat LSU in Baton Rouge. You know how he won? Solid defense and Bo Pelini being the last DC in the world to not know you don't play man to man against Leach's offense. Does Joe get credit for that win? Of course not. Leach won that game. Teams have adjusted to his offense, its his turn to adjust.

How come Leach gets all the credit for every win, yet every time we look like dogsh!t on offense Moorhead's name is brought up. Our offense looks like shit sometimes because we won't incorporate a run game to force teams to get out of the 3-8 alignment and we have OL that are not built to pass block 65 times a game, especially against athletic DL. I get that no one may want to admit that we made a second bad hire, maybe we did, maybe we didn't, time will tell, but blaming a guy that has been gone 20 months for why we almost lost to a medical sales rep at QB for La Tech, at home is comical and borderline insane.

Jarius
09-07-2021, 11:32 AM

You are trying to spin a 1 point win because of a missed field goal against Louisiana Tech as a positive and talking about other fans not know what’s going on. Bless your heart.

confucius say
09-07-2021, 11:41 AM
I was more surprised by the defense than the offense honestly. I would never thought we could not generate any pass rush.

I'm just glad nc state is a run first offense.

PMDawg
09-07-2021, 12:07 PM

I get what you're saying, and you're right about this week telling us more. The problem is context. We saw a lot of the same negatives as we saw last year. Towards the end of last year, it looked like we turned a corner a bit, so a lot of us were expecting to build on that. Other than the very beginning and very end of the game, we looked a lot like we did before we "turned the corner" last year. Saturday was pretty reminiscent of last year's game against Vandy, where we had a huge physical/athletic advantage and still struggled against that dang 3-8 defense. Saturday was just a bad omen considering that we are soon going to be the ones who are physically/athletically outmatched.

And people saying LaTech is good....I don't believe it. I think that will end up being the 2nd or 3rd worst defense we see all year. And they still got pressure with 3 and/or with minimal simple stunts and twists. I also keep seeing people talk about how good their QB was. But they're wrong. He was pretty athletic, and made some things happen here and there, but, honestly, his accuracy stunk for the most part. He missed quite a few throws where his receiver was open. Several in the 4th quarter. If he made a better throw on virtually ANY of them, then we have an L instead of a W. He was decent, but he's probably in the bottom 3rd of what we'll see this year.

But, yes, this week will tell us a LOT. If we come out and play well and get a W against this NC State team, then I will change my tune and chalk up LaTech as just "one of those games". If the wolfpack comes out and controls our offense with the 3-8, our OL looks like garbage again, we throw 20 passes to the RBs or check downs, our DL gets no pressure, and they have WRs streaking open all over the field...well, then we'll know that we're in for a painful season.

OLJWales
09-07-2021, 12:20 PM
I can't figure out why we can't pop off 4-6 yd draws and shit against a 3-8 D

confucius say
09-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Marks and Johnson both rushed for 6 yards a carry. Just have to commit to it more. 14 carries between the two of them isn't enough

OLJWales
09-07-2021, 12:34 PM
Marks and Johnson both rushed for 6 yards a carry. Just have to commit to it more. 14 carries between the two of them isn't enough

Yep. I like Marks' angry style of play. Need some more of that.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2021, 12:38 PM
I get what you're saying, and you're right about this week telling us more. The problem is context. We saw a lot of the same negatives as we saw last year. Towards the end of last year, it looked like we turned a corner a bit, so a lot of us were expecting to build on that. Other than the very beginning and very end of the game, we looked a lot like we did before we "turned the corner" last year. Saturday was pretty reminiscent of last year's game against Vandy, where we had a huge physical/athletic advantage and still struggled against that dang 3-8 defense. Saturday was just a bad omen considering that we are soon going to be the ones who are physically/athletically outmatched.

And people saying LaTech is good....I don't believe it. I think that will end up being the 2nd or 3rd worst defense we see all year. And they still got pressure with 3 and/or with minimal simple stunts and twists. I also keep seeing people talk about how good their QB was. But they're wrong. He was pretty athletic, and made some things happen here and there, but, honestly, his accuracy stunk for the most part. He missed quite a few throws where his receiver was open. Several in the 4th quarter. If he made a better throw on virtually ANY of them, then we have an L instead of a W. He was decent, but he's probably in the bottom 3rd of what we'll see this year.

But, yes, this week will tell us a LOT. If we come out and play well and get a W against this NC State team, then I will change my tune and chalk up LaTech as just "one of those games". If the wolfpack comes out and controls our offense with the 3-8, our OL looks like garbage again, we throw 20 passes to the RBs or check downs, our DL gets no pressure, and they have WRs streaking open all over the field...well, then we'll know that we're in for a painful season.

I'm in the wait and see mode as well. We played really well in the 4th and we need to see if that's gonna be the norm or an aberration. Probably somewhere in between, but I want to see the season play out. We are still awfully young on offense. I think I just coached for so long I have some patience in watching things develop. We'll see how good or bad we're gonna be. We'll know a lot saturday night.

Quaoarsking
09-07-2021, 12:40 PM
a medical sales rep at QB for La Tech

Austin Kendall was a starter at West Virginia and would have been at Oklahoma had not transferred in. He's not a world-beater but he's a serviceable P5 QB. Why our own fans are downplaying him to make our team seem worse is beyond me.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/austin-kendall-1.html

Quaoarsking
09-07-2021, 12:45 PM
And people saying LaTech is good...

I don't think Louisiana Tech is "good" but I do think a lot of people don't realize they've been to 7 straight bowls, all but one of which followed a season with a conference record above .500 (the other one being 4-4). That's impressive consistency at winning games for the G5 level, and that's before they hit the transfer portal hard for this season.

TrapGame
09-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Austin Kendall was a starter at West Virginia and would have been at Oklahoma had not transferred in. He's not a world-beater but he's a serviceable P5 QB. Why our own fans are downplaying him to make our team seem worse is beyond me.

We played a team with a pulse that was well coached and wanted to win. Throw in 19 transfer portal players and La Tech got a steroid shot. La Tech would have beat Louisville last night and to think otherwise shows how much some people really hate Leach. Let's see how NC State plays out. By my research, and someone correct if I'm wrong, NC State got 4 total transfers in from last season. All on defense.

Matt3467
09-07-2021, 01:20 PM

This. It's like some people on here are foaming at the mouth for something to moan and complain about.

I don't see much of anything about how Will went 39/47 370yds 3tds averaging 7.9yd per attempt but I see plenty about how he doesn't have the arm, he's not a p5 QB, he's "serviceable", he threw an int for a td, he needs to up his yards per attempt.

One such quote I read said, "Will needed to be benched. Leach needs to be fired. We won't win a game this season."

Good grief people.

starkvegasdawg
09-07-2021, 01:27 PM

Law in the 3rd quarter they quit. You could see it in their body language and play on the field. Now who or what lit s fire under them in the 4th I don't know. I think it started with that Tulu return. But I had even commented to my son they were playing like they had conceded that game. As had everybody sitting in the stands and those watching on tv if they were honest with themselves.

Hot Rock
09-07-2021, 01:31 PM

you are entitled to your opinion, it's wrong, but you got one.

Accountability, he said about a dozen times they had to coach better. MY goodness you are a snowflake that thinks discipline is a bad thing.

R2Dawg
09-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Geez people. Guess this offense became outdated just since 2019. In 2019 WSU was 7th in total offense and 11th in points per game in all of FBS.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/season/2019

Against Pac10 D, get real. That is outdated in the SEC since the 90s.

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2021, 01:50 PM
This. It's like some people on here are foaming at the mouth for something to moan and complain about.

I don't see much of anything about how Will went 39/47 370yds 3tds averaging 7.9yd per attempt but I see plenty about how he doesn't have the arm, he's not a p5 QB, he's "serviceable", he threw an int for a td, he needs to up his yards per attempt.

One such quote I read said, "Will needed to be benched. Leach needs to be fired. We won't win a game this season."

Good grief people.

A) What is said in the game thread is exempt.
B) You also ignored my post later saying "Looks like my reverse psychology worked! What a comeback"

Matt3467
09-07-2021, 02:20 PM
A) What is said in the game thread is exempt.
B) You also ignored my post later saying "Looks like my reverse psychology worked! What a comeback"

That quote characterizes very well how several on the board think and feel all the time not just on a game thread but I am sorry I didn't see your following post.

Hot Rock
09-07-2021, 02:24 PM
Truth, he can't keep running people off. He needs to look into the mirror.

You can't name one guy that left that would have been a difference maker after Leach actually got here. Here are the best of the best that have left. ​

Key Thompson: Not even a QB anymore and is just listed as a football player. He could not break our two deep at any position.
Shrader - back up at the powerhouse Syracuse
J Payton who did make the two deep at TN but wasn't a starter here and nor would he have been this year. Yes talented and I am disappointed but that dude may not have even cracked the 2 deep this year.
T Shaver? - where is he now? San Diego State where he isn't even starting as a former 5 star, something bad wrong with this picture
Jarion Jones? Back up at Fla State to a freshman and he is a 3rd year guy
Bryvon Jones? Already has left Illinois for Jacksonville State
Stewart Reese - Maybe the only transfer that you can point to saying he could be starting but he was a Mullen recruit that never even made it to see Leach much less get a chance to be coached by him. He as gone by May 2020.
Fabien Lovett - not on Fla State's depth chart
G Spivey - TE and not on TCU's depth chart
Nick Pendley - not on Ga Tech's depth chart

There were others but none of them even went to a Power 5 school. Players leave programs, it's the new normal and quite frankly it's good they left for them and us. It made room for such guys Lashley, Calvin, Polk, Charlton, Abraham, Lovertich, Green and Ruiz. Who are either starting or playing key roles.

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2021, 02:29 PM

I don't buy this one moment. We have been giving him a chance and still are giving him a chance. The moment is coming when us not knowing how to attack a 3 man rush drop 8 is going to no longer be acceptable. They did it to us all last year, they will do it to us all this year, and it will be our doom.

So he is getting a chance, he is just blowing opportunities to show us he knows how to overcome with our team against our competition.

Hot Rock
09-07-2021, 02:34 PM

Wow, ran off exactly how many that would be starting this year? I say Zero. Name one.

You could say T Shavers but I would not agree. He was starting last year but he isn't at San Diego State and that's his 3rd school in as many years. That dude has issues and was not going to work out.

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2021, 02:47 PM
All these posts and threads, and somehow no one has used the "we went with a vanilla game plan" excuse.

confucius say
09-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Against Pac10 D, get real. That is outdated in the SEC since the 90s.

There are maybe 3-4 good sec defenses. The rest are just average or bad.

msstate7
09-07-2021, 02:57 PM
All these posts and threads, and somehow no one has used the "we went with a vanilla game plan" excuse.

That's a hard one to sell when you only have 5 plays or whatever. Did he save 2 for this week?

Gutter Cobreh
09-07-2021, 03:00 PM
I don't buy this one moment. We have been giving him a chance and still are giving him a chance. The moment is coming when us not knowing how to attack a 3 man rush drop 8 is going to no longer be acceptable. They did it to us all last year, they will do it to us all this year, and it will be our doom.

So he is getting a chance, he is just blowing opportunities to show us he knows how to overcome with our team against our competition.

By "they", do you mean SEC as Saturday's game was the 2nd one we've played outside the conference under Leach. There is a night and day difference in our WR group that we have now versus what we were playing with last year, so I anticipate that they'll get more comfortable in the system and find the holes needed to move the ball forward.

Wow, ran off exactly how many that would be starting this year? I say Zero. Name one.

You could say T Shavers but I would not agree. He was starting last year but he isn't at San Diego State and that's his 3rd school in as many years. That dude has issues and was not going to work out.

Does Leach get credit for Kylin opting out last year, or is the narrative that Kylin left on his own accord?

Percho
09-07-2021, 03:18 PM
We have got to have the worst fan base I have ever seen. This same crap went on all baseball season with all these backseat fan coaches thinking they know what is best because they taught their children pewweeeeee football or T-ball. These kids these days are so weak and this society has taught them to quit on their team and transfer if you arent happy. Let Leach coach these kids and threaten them if he needs to. Someone needs to put these kids in their place! If they want to transfer, KICK ROCKS and go! This same non sense garbage spewed on here is the same garbage I heard all baseball season. I am all on board for pointing out where we need to improve or a little criticism. But some of the folks on here will never be HAPPY until we are BAMA.. Its not happening so realize that and you will be alot happier in life. We won the GAME! Be happy. It might of not been a BAMA style win but we won! So take a minute and be happy for once. Its most likely going to be a LONG season! So enjoy a WIN while we get one and enjoy your week!!

Post of the year. Thank you. I am so Happy I was born before 1950. At you chastise to be responsible for 2 year old action, at 6 at 9 you get the idea.

Hebrews 12:6 Let's let C L coach.

bulldawg28
09-07-2021, 03:24 PM
You can't name one guy that left that would have been a difference maker after Leach actually got here. Here are the best of the best that have left. ​

Key Thompson: Not even a QB anymore and is just listed as a football player. He could not break our two deep at any position.
J Payton who did make the two deep at TN but wasn't a starter here and nor would he have been this year. Yes talented and I am disappointed but that dude may not have even cracked the 2 deep this year.
T Shaver? - where is he now? San Diego State where he isn't even starting as a former 5 star, something bad wrong with this picture
Stewart Reese - Maybe the only transfer that you can point to saying he could be starting but he was a Mullen recruit that never even made it to see Leach much less get a chance to be coached by him. He as gone by May 2020.

There were others but none of them even went to a Power 5 school. Players leave programs, it's the new normal and quite frankly it's good they left for them and us. It made room for such guys Lashley, Calvin, Polk, Charlton, Abraham, Lovertich, Green and Ruiz. Who are either starting or playing key roles.

Keep the diary log. Why are you talking about old players? The coach says he's going after new players being run off. These are all players that stayed and expected more from their selves, coaches, and MSU as a whole. He can't keep blaming players that want to be here as the problem.

Hot Rock
09-07-2021, 03:25 PM
By "they", do you mean SEC as Saturday's game was the 2nd one we've played outside the conference under Leach. There is a night and day difference in our WR group that we have now versus what we were playing with last year, so I anticipate that they'll get more comfortable in the system and find the holes needed to move the ball forward.

Does Leach get credit for Kylin opting out last year, or is the narrative that Kylin left on his own accord?

Kylin is a very talented individual and I hope he grows up to become a great NFL star but what happened last year was all on him.

Turfdawg67
09-07-2021, 04:38 PM

Great post! Shocking about some of those transfers... Lovett not on the depth chart and Jones lost his starting job? Glad we blocked them from going to MS7's favorite team.

msugolf
09-07-2021, 05:11 PM

Might want to recheck your list there chief. Lovett started and was a team captain against Notre Dame.