PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt film study. Something for everyone!

Mjoelner34
09-06-2021, 11:32 AM
If you want something to bitch about, it's there. If you want something to build on that looks good, it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rwb09fS5U

Catfish
09-06-2021, 11:48 AM
If you want something to bitch about, it's there. If you want something to build on that looks good, it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rwb09fS5U

Matt does a great job analyzing the plays.

TrapGame
09-06-2021, 12:13 PM
Completely different OL play in the 4th quarter. Picked up stunts, twists and blitzes.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2021, 12:55 PM
Completely different OL play in the 4th quarter. Picked up stunts, twists and blitzes.

This. For anyone paying attention they played completely different in the 4th quarter. Now can we build on that and make it consistent, that's the question. If the ol plays like that from here on out we'll be ok.

Todd4State
09-06-2021, 12:58 PM
This. For anyone paying attention they played completely different in the 4th quarter. Now can we build on that and make it consistent, that's the question. If the ol plays like that from here on out we'll be ok.

That's pretty much what it all boils down to. At least they have shown the potential to do it. Leach's offense is typically stopped when we do it to ourselves. Which is also why it typically improves over time. Repitition and experience are the most valuable things for this scheme.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 02:10 PM
The OL has to trust each other & Rogers has to trust the WRs

Do those two things & this team can win.

There are WRs running open in the secondary, but a combo of poor trust & communication on the OL to pick up twists & Will not letting it loose, causes the thing to break down.

Improve both of those & this offense is tough to stop. We've got good WRs

Commercecomet24
09-06-2021, 02:23 PM
The OL to trust each other & Rogers has to trust the WRs

There are WRs running open in the secondary, but a combo of poor trust & communication on the OL to pick up twists & Will not letting it loose, causes the thing to break down.

Really good assessment on all. And this is the best group of WRs overall I've seen at State.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Really good assessment on all. And this is the best group of WRs overall I've seen at State.

I agree. I think the WRs are good as well. The QB's arm sucks, but he is accurate. That combo should be pretty effective should the OL pick up stunts & not commit penalties.

Commercecomet24
09-06-2021, 03:07 PM
I agree. I think the WRs are good as well. The QB's arm sucks, but he is accurate. That combo should be pretty effective should the OL pick up stunts & not commit penalties.

Yeah Will is lacking in arm strength but is very accurate(which seems to be the type qbs leach always has). Everything is going to come down to how well our ol plays. I'm just trying to figure out how the switch flipped in the fourth quarter. Looked like a whole new ol in the 4th. Hope that continues. And to give Will credit he played like Tom Brady In that 4th quarter and that's something qbs either have or they dont.

ZedFedder
09-06-2021, 03:08 PM
I’m optimistic for the rest of the year if we can channel that 4th quarter into every game.

Hot Rock
09-06-2021, 03:09 PM
This ain't exactly warm and fuzzy film study but it's honest.

This OL play is the difference, period. Anyone that that thinks otherwise is wrong.

Either they play well, pick up stunts or we stink. That's about it.

Will Rogers can be better, sure but until they learn to do what they do well, this team will struggle. Leach's offense lives and dies with OL play.

I like that he is turning to the run game in the redzone. That will help insure we don't lose to teams less talented.

I am cautiously optimistic.

There is one thing, Calvin and Tulu are real threats. Those guys can play. If Heath is better than Tulu... that would be nice.

The defense? Those safeties got fooled a bunch in that study. What was a strength is a bit scary.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 03:52 PM

This OL play is the difference, period. Anyone that that thinks otherwise is wrong.

Will Rogers can be better, sure but until they learn to do what they do well, this team will struggle. Leach's offense lives and dies with OL play.

I like that he is turning to the run game in the redzone. That will help insure we don't lose to teams less talented.

There is one thing, Calvin and Tulu are real threats. Those guys can play. If Heath is better than Tulu... that would be nice.

The defense? Those safeties got fooled a bunch in that study. What was a strength is a bit scary.

Will has to be more willing to cut it loose & throw some guys open.

Hambone
09-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Will has to be more willing to cut it loose & throw some guys open.

Wait, so you say his arm sucks in one post but then come back and says he needs to cut it loose and throw some guys open…..

Help me understand please.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Wait, so you say his arm sucks in one post but then come back and says he needs to cut it loose and throw some guys open…..

Help me understand please.

He's got opportunities but his holding the ball

Commercecomet24
09-06-2021, 04:29 PM
He's got opportunities but his holding the ball

Yes he doesn't have a cannon but he's got enough arm to push it down the field enough but he's got to make he's hit go get it out quicker.

PMDawg
09-06-2021, 05:36 PM
The OL has to trust each other & Rogers has to trust the WRs

Rogers has to do a better job of reading the defense pre-snap. He should mentally know his 1st and 2nd option before the ball is snapped. Then, he has to make quicker decisions and get the ball out quick. He will never have 8 seconds vs SEC defenses. He needs to look at 1, 2, then find a safety valve, take off, or throw it in the stands.

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Rogers has to do a better job of reading the defense pre-snap. He should mentally know his 1st and 2nd option before the ball is snapped. Then, he has to make quicker decisions and get the ball out quick. He will never have 8 seconds vs SEC defenses. He needs to look at 1, 2, then find a safety valve, take off, or throw it in the stands.

It's just not that easy

PMDawg
09-06-2021, 05:41 PM
It's just not that easy

Actually, that's the entire premise of this offense.

preachermatt83
09-06-2021, 05:57 PM
It's just not that easy

Lol. Exactly!! What modern defenses show presnap is useless these days. Everything is disguised until post snap. Our only issue right now is not the o-line’s physical talent as much as it is their ability to pick up twists and stunts. They got better 4th quarter. If the 4th quarter is our team, we will be very good offensively. If the first 3 quarters are the real us we will struggle to win 5. My guess it’s somewhere in the middle and we will be a 6 or 7 win team.

Percho
09-06-2021, 06:28 PM
I'm betting he grows into a fine QB.

PMDawg
09-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Lol. Exactly!! What modern defenses show presnap is useless these days. Everything is disguised until post snap. Our only issue right now is not the o-line’s physical talent as much as it is their ability to pick up twists and stunts. They got better 4th quarter. If the 4th quarter is our team, we will be very good offensively. If the first 3 quarters are the real us we will struggle to win 5. My guess it’s somewhere in the middle and we will be a 6 or 7 win team.

Well you gotta figure it out pretty dang quick. A lot quicker than he is.

tcdog70
09-07-2021, 01:24 PM

remember we passed on Drummond from Scooba and took heath. experts on some message boards said Drummond wasn't SEC player but Heath was the real deal. So far Drummond is doing a-ok for the Rebs. Heath --well -so far so-so

Hot Rock
09-07-2021, 05:20 PM
remember we passed on Drummond from Scooba and took heath. experts on some message boards said Drummond wasn't SEC player but Heath was the real deal. So far Drummond is doing a-ok for the Rebs. Heath --well -so far so-so

Drummond had a good game, Kiffin's offense tends to focus on a couple guys more than Leach's. Leach will use 8 guys. Plus, you have that fast pace that Kiffin employs that forces about 30% more plays.

But there is this one thing. Drummond signed with Ole Miss in 2019 and Heath in 2020? Moorhead may have passed on Drummond, I have no idea. How does have anything to do with Leach getting Heath in 2020? Heath was higher rated but both can be good. We all know that recruiting rankings are a bit of a crap shoot.