PDA

View Full Version : Will Hall era?a big turd of a start

tcdog70
09-06-2021, 09:27 AM
uSA stomped them

No BS Dawg
09-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Worst mistake USM ever made was thinking they had risen to some type of high level status where averaging 7-9 wins a season under Jeff Bower was no longer good enough. It has been a dumpster fire ever since Bower?s talent was no longer on campus. Larry Fedora rode Bower?s talent to a better gig and it?s been rough since. Hall will need time and patience to be remotely successful. I hate it for him because I feel he is a good one.

StarkVegasSteve
09-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Will is going to get them rolling. He knows every school in this state from the 6A powerhouses to the backroad 1A private school. He?s going to get talent in there but it will take him a couple of years.

was21
09-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Todd Monken did a good job down there and got out as soon as he could after mild success.

parabrave
09-06-2021, 12:30 PM
USM needs to hit the transfer portal big time. They can no longer depend on getting the overlooked small school kid from small town Mississippi, the coast, Mobile or south Louisiana anymore.

MoreCowbell
09-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Remind me again why Hopson resigned?

Leeshouldveflanked
09-06-2021, 08:33 PM
If USM has a football program 5 years from now I will be surprised.

CaptainObvious
09-06-2021, 10:11 PM
In 5 years, they will be FCS or whatever division is created between FBS and FCS.

Bothrops
09-06-2021, 10:17 PM
USM needs to hit the transfer portal big time. They can no longer depend on getting the overlooked small school kid from small town Mississippi, the coast, Mobile or south Louisiana anymore.

This. But I'm surprised they haven't done this yet

If La Tech can do it, they should have no problem.

MoreCowbell
09-06-2021, 10:17 PM
Why did Hopson resign again?

Todd4State
09-06-2021, 10:42 PM

They wanted him gone and his recruiting was terrible. So of course we hire him for recruiting.

Todd4State
09-06-2021, 10:45 PM

If USM has a football program 5 years from now I will be surprised.

That's the thing that's so different now. Not sure that is in Hall's wheelhouse or not. Back in the pre-portal days you really needed someone that could recruit in state really well to build a team. Now you can do it overnight with the portal like La Tech did. We'll see if it works for them.

MoreCowbell
09-07-2021, 01:53 AM
They wanted him gone and his recruiting was terrible. So of course we hire him for recruiting.

I have a hard time believing that, he was winning and went to 4 straight bowl games. He was kicking ass there

StarkVegasSteve
09-07-2021, 11:09 AM

It was a mixture of he was burned out, he was losing players, his recruiting was subpar, and the results were starting to show all that. He had a meeting with the USM AD the Friday after the bowl game and they came to a mutual understanding that it was best for him to move on.

BB30
09-07-2021, 12:17 PM
Worst mistake USM ever made was thinking they had risen to some type of high level status where averaging 7-9 wins a season under Jeff Bower was no longer good enough. It has been a dumpster fire ever since Bower?s talent was no longer on campus. Larry Fedora rode Bower?s talent to a better gig and it?s been rough since. Hall will need time and patience to be remotely successful. I hate it for him because I feel he is a good one.

We need to look in the mirror a bit on that first part about 7-9 wins. We had fans calling for mullen to be gone 3 years before he actually left. We did the same thing to Mullen. Now he obviously had the intention of getting out of here. That being said the next Mullen we get we better do everything we can to hold onto him. It takes years to move from that 7-9 wins to consistently winning 10-12 games a season. Most all of the top 25 in CFB generally wins 7-9 games with the occasional surprise 10+ win season outside of your top 5-6 teams.

There is a fine line between striving for championships and being realistic in where we are and what it takes to get to that point. We were the closest we have ever been under Mullen. Cant let that slip away next go around.

OLJWales
09-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Whats Bower up to these days?

MStateDawg
09-07-2021, 12:33 PM
I have a hard time believing that, he was winning and went to 4 straight bowl games. He was kicking ass there

This is not true. He went to 3 bowl games in 5 seasons, missing bowls in 2 of his last 3 years. Hopson's overall record at USM was 28 - 23.
5 games over .500 in that awful conference is far from "kicking ass"

MoreCowbell
09-07-2021, 12:37 PM
It was a mixture of he was burned out, he was losing players, his recruiting was subpar, and the results were starting to show all that. He had a meeting with the USM AD the Friday after the bowl game and they came to a mutual understanding that it was best for him to move on.

That makes sense thank you

MoreCowbell
09-07-2021, 12:37 PM
This is not true. He went to 3 bowl games in 5 seasons, missing bowls in 2 of his last 3 years. Hopson's overall record at USM was 28 - 23.

Wikipedia was wrong then

MoreCowbell
09-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Won 7, 8, 6 and 7 games in his 4 full years. I bet they would take that now

OLJWales
09-07-2021, 01:09 PM
All fan bases suffer different degrees of delusion whether its USM, Bamer or STATE. Several straight years of success and any drop off suddenly becomes "fire everybody".

Captain Falcon
09-07-2021, 01:24 PM
I watched a big chunk of this game with some family members who are USM fans. They have no passing game and seem to be fairly weak on the OL. Probably going to be a tough year. I would go to Ty Keyes sooner rather than later if I were them, if you are not going to be any good then at least play for the future.

ScoobaDawg
09-08-2021, 02:40 AM
They are horrible. And I love every moment of it

MStateDawg
09-08-2021, 07:55 AM
They are horrible. And I love every moment of it

As someone who grew up in the 1980s, I completely agree with this. Their fanbase is just a large collection of people with short man syndrome and are hands down the most insufferable fanbase when they are winning. I'd be 100% fine if they never won another football game for the rest of their miserable existence.

Apoplectic
09-08-2021, 08:03 AM
Neon looking to make that move south