PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Recruiting

CaptainObvious
09-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Which is more important in Leach?s offense?

Brute strength and size?

Or Conditioning and Intelligence?

Watching this Notre Dame Oline work together is enjoyable.

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2021, 09:56 PM

Brute strength and size?

Leach is going to find 5 big mean ones I can promise you that. With Leach he has usually had 5 huge guys

TheLostDawg
09-05-2021, 09:58 PM
One thing we learned from this weekend- transfer portal

Bothrops
09-05-2021, 10:25 PM

An entirely different breed.

Todd4State
09-05-2021, 11:52 PM
One thing we learned from this weekend- transfer portal

Well our best guy this weekend was a transfer from Alabama. Cross was a WTF? Performance from me.

Maroonthirteen
09-06-2021, 07:23 AM
I would think all the above plus speed.

You have to be able to cover those wide splits. An SEC DL will be quick enough to get through those splits in a blink.

Dawgfan77
09-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Leach is going to find 5 big mean ones I can promise you that. With Leach he has usually had 5 huge guys
This is where you are wrong again.
Leach wants long leaner OL. Most are 6'5 and up 275-300. The issue is that those guys are not as good of athletes now they have to play at a very high level against stud DL athletes
In our recruiting base you are going to find more mean big ass road graders than them long skinny unathetic boys. Add in them wide ass splits and it spells disaster.
I know you think this air raid will work but it's just not a fit here.

bulldawg28
09-06-2021, 10:17 AM
No lineman is going to beat an DL all game with splits that wide. It takes away the advantage of size OL usually have over DL.

Dawgology
09-06-2021, 11:53 AM

Brute strength and size?

It would help if we weren't losing all of our OL recruiting leans to Ole Miss. I've always foudn it odd that Ole Miss will recruit the hell out of positions of need for State even if they don't need them. That's a hell of a strategy to keep your opponent down. That's right out of the old Bear Bryant playbook back in the day.

KOdawg1
09-06-2021, 11:57 AM
It's gonna be hard to win OL battles vs similar or better programs. Teams are telling recruits that we don't prepare them for the NFL because we pass it 90% of the time.

maroonmania
09-06-2021, 07:44 PM
It's gonna be hard to win OL battles vs similar or better programs. Teams are telling recruits that we don't prepare them for the NFL because we pass it 90% of the time.

Seems to be a strange argument given the NFL has turned into a passing league. Not a lot of road grater run blockers needed in the NFL.

Dawgology
09-06-2021, 07:47 PM
We also have to pony up to get good recruits now?something the athletic program will probably never do.

HoopsDawg
09-06-2021, 08:31 PM
No lineman is going to beat an DL all game with splits that wide. It takes away the advantage of size OL usually have over DL.

this all day.

ScoobaDawg
09-08-2021, 02:18 AM
We also have to pony up to get good recruits now?something the athletic program will probably never do.

It's not the athletics departments place to "pony up" the school can't sponsor nil deals.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 12:52 PM
It's not the athletics departments place to "pony up" the school can't sponsor nil deals.

Do our cigar boys have a plan? Do STATE bidness owners not want free advertising?

Hot Rock
09-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Leach signed 5 OL last year and at least two of them could play right now in Reese and Jones if needed. He has 3 committed this year and I am expecting at least one or two more and don't rule out a transfer.

Many years Mullen never signed more than three and we rarely had more than 15 or 16 total OL on those teams, Leach will devote as much as 20 scholarships to the Oline. According to 247 scholarship dist, State already has 13 OT's & 4 IOL for a total of 17. All but three of those are either a FR or Soph. Yes, you may lose one or two to the NFL but so far, nothing I have seen on the field indicates that will happen this year.

If people are freaking out now about our OL recruiting, they must have gone crazy during the Mullen years. He may not have had but 13 scholarship OL on some of those teams.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 07:30 PM
I've seen many posts saying hard to evaluate OL. So I would assume it's definitely a numbers game and Leach seems to be doing fine at this early juncture.

Hambone
09-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Do we even have “cigar boys”? Honest question. You always knew who was doing the dirty work in Oxford. I’ve always heard the term cigar boys but I’m starting to think they are as real as Big Foot.

If they do exist, then puff your chest out and start paying some damn players!

Dawgology
09-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Do we even have “cigar boys”? Honest question. You always knew who was doing the dirty work in Oxford. I’ve always heard the term cigar boys but I’m starting to think they are as real as Big Foot.

We don?t. Clearly.

OLJWales
09-08-2021, 09:03 PM

Yep. We got 'em I'm sure. just seems they are AWOL these days.