1st & 4th qtrs: 7 poss, scored 5 TDs
2nd & 3rd qtrs: never ran 4 consecutive plays without a penalty or turnover

1st/4th: 272 yds, 35 points
2nd/3rd: 163 yds, 0 pts

1st/4th: 35 plays, 2 penalties, 0 TO
2nd/3rd: 31 plays, 4 penalties, 4 TO

parabrave
09-05-2021, 01:38 PM
What we suck in the middle of the game? Other coaches with much less talent can make better adjustments?

Cowbell
09-05-2021, 02:02 PM
What we suck in the middle of the game? Other coaches with much less talent can make better adjustments?

Coaches don't usually fumble or false start

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 02:14 PM
If you are gonna have 2 good ones , 1st and 4th would be my 1st 2 I'd pick.

parabrave
09-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Some coaches hold their players to higher standards.

KOdawg1
09-05-2021, 02:30 PM

No but coaches teach players how not to fumble or false start

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-05-2021, 02:31 PM

1) it's the coaches job to teach the player to hold onto the ball or not commit penalties, and you know that's on coaches.

2) we actually didn't false start. We did hold 3x and the replay on each showed the OL beat so bad it probably would have been a sack if they didn't hold. We'd have been better off if Cross had held this man on the strip sack, for example.

Fact is the OL got destroyed vs 3 to 4 Sun Belt level defenders. We didn't know assignments, we never picked up a stunt, and we got beat one on one often. We face bigger, stronger, faster guys from here on out so the season is done if the OL doesn't make massive improvements. End of story.

parabrave
09-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Are we still lining up with the 5 ft Splits and no RBs helping with blocking?

TrapGame
09-05-2021, 02:38 PM
1) it's the coaches job to teach the player to hold onto the ball or not commit penalties, and you know that's on coaches.

2) we actually didn't false start. We did hold 3x and the replay on each showed the OL beat so bad it probably would have been a sack if they didn't hold. We'd have been better off if Cross had held this man on the strip sack, for example.

Fact is the OL got destroyed vs 3 to 4 Sun Belt level defenders. We didn't know assignments, we never picked up a stunt, and we got beat one on one often. We face bigger, stronger, faster guys from here on out so the season is done if the OL doesn't make massive improvements. End of story.

There was a false start on D. Johnson that made a 3rd and short a 3rd and long and we didn't convert. Middle of the 2nd quarter I believe.

Cowbell
09-05-2021, 02:40 PM

1. Coaches take some responsibility but not full - case in point is when Dak throws pics Thursday - that's not on McCarthy.
2. We actually had multiple false starts
3. I do believe we need a new Oline coach but that's not the point of my post.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2021, 02:41 PM
There was a false start on D. Johnson that made a 3rd and short a 3rd and long and we didn't convert. Middle of the 2nd quarter I believe.

Also tulu has a false start.

Cowbell
09-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Are we still lining up with the 5 ft Splits and no RBs helping with blocking?

Our RB actually pick up blocks regularly and do a good job.

PMDawg
09-05-2021, 03:25 PM
We're always going to have the holding penalties and turnovers in this offense. You can't line up the OL that way and not have a lot of holds against today's athletic DL. And you can't throw 50 to 70 times a game without having INTs. Lots of them deep in your territory or pick 6s. It is what it is. Get used to it.

Todd4State
09-05-2021, 03:57 PM

So who gets credit for the team doing it in the fourth quarter?

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
So who gets credit for the team doing it in the fourth quarter?

The coaches!

But guess what? Getting the team to play good for juuuuuuust long enough to beat Louisianna Tech by 1 point isn't what we expect. We'd have hired LTs staff of we wanted to be equal to LT.

The expectation is to cruise vs LT. If your expectations are to need a 20 point 4th Q and a missed FG to win vs Sun Belt teams, then yes you should be happy with Leaches overall job. If we play every other Q this year like we did the 1st or 4th vs Tech, the rest of us will also be happy with Leach. It's the overall job performance that matters

Todd4State
09-05-2021, 05:16 PM
The coaches!

But guess what? Getting the team to play good for juuuuuuust long enough to beat Louisianna Tech by 1 point isn't what we expect. We'd have hired LTs staff of we wanted to be equal to LT.

The expectation is to cruise vs LT. If your expectations are to need a 20 point 4th Q and a missed FG to win vs Sun Belt teams, then yes you should be happy with Leaches overall job. If we play every other Q this year like we did the 1st or 4th vs Tech, the rest of us will also be happy with Leach. It's the overall job performance that matters

Well then let's let the year play out as a whole. Because that's ultimately what I base a team performance on. Pretty much every team has a performance like this from time to time. I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water over it at this point. Jackie had his share of losses in games like that and Dan had his share of games like yesterday too- including against La Tech.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Well then let's let the year play out as a whole. Because that's ultimately what I base a team performance on. Pretty much every team has a performance like this from time to time. I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water over it at this point. Jackie had his share of losses in games like that and Dan had his share of games like yesterday too- including against La Tech.

Jacki and Dan had proven they fielded good teams, and the South Alabamas were the exception. We sucked ass last year, and sucked ass game 1 this year, showing the exact same OL issues.

When Leach wins, then I'll give him a pass for playing LT close. When the OL shows they can block, then I'll give Miller a pass when they have a bad game. But the evidence against Miller is adding up quick, and I'm not sure where to draw the line on him.

Let's agree on this: if the OL isn't MASSIVELY improved by the end of the season, Miller needs to be replaced. Agreed?

R2Dawg
09-05-2021, 06:27 PM
That some of you need to think about..

States offense

1st & 4th qtrs: 7 poss, scored 5 TDs
2nd & 3rd qtrs: never ran 4 consecutive plays without a penalty or turnover

1st/4th: 272 yds, 35 points
2nd/3rd: 163 yds, 0 pts

1st/4th: 35 plays, 2 penalties, 0 TO
2nd/3rd: 31 plays, 4 penalties, 4 TO

So from all that, we sucked half the game. Do that against the rest of our schedule and we only win what 1 more? A lot to fix here.

MrCoachKlein
09-05-2021, 09:03 PM
1. Coaches take some responsibility but not full - case in point is when Dak throws pics Thursday - that's not on McCarthy.
2. We actually had multiple false starts
3. I do believe we need a new Oline coach but that's not the point of my post.

Should be on McCarthy, he's the worst coach in the league counting assistants now that Gase is gone.

preachermatt83
09-05-2021, 09:11 PM
We have some things to fix, but we will be ok.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Sorry if this is Germans but in case it hasn't been mentioned, their first two. LT touchdowns I thought were somewhat a fluke or busted play or whatever you want to call it. What say you coaches out there on their first two touchdowns? Those kind of things are fixable after game 1?

Bothrops
09-05-2021, 09:18 PM
Other coaches with much less talent can make better adjustments?

Not too big a difference.

parabrave
09-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Sorry if this is Germans but in case it hasn't been mentioned, their first two. LT touchdowns I thought were somewhat a fluke or busted play or whatever you want to call it. What say you coaches out there on their first two touchdowns? Those kind of things are fixable after game 1?

Listening to T and L it was more of the D we run. Cornerbacks have to cover better. He bit on the 1st one. Wyatt will probaby cover that play on his film study if he does this year..

CoachT14
09-06-2021, 07:46 AM
The coaches!

This might come as a big surprise to you, but La Tech isn?t in the Sun Belt.

The parity you?re trying to talk about isn?t there.

Is that an excuse to play like we did Saturday? Not even close. I?m just as disappointed as the next guy. But to act like the competition we faced was some FCS school level is absurd.

OLJWales
09-06-2021, 08:26 AM
Would like to see this thread resurface after game 2.

parabrave
09-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Hey Josey Wyatt does cover it t the 13:30 Mark on his youtube channel/

OLJWales
09-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Hey Josey Wyatt does cover it t the 13:30 Mark on his youtube channel/

Thanks bud

parabrave
09-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Give me some of that Commanchero whiskey and Jerked beef and we're even

OLJWales
09-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Give me some of that Commanchero whiskey and Jerked beef and we're even

I reckon so.