PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- It Was A Win Edition

Coach34
09-05-2021, 10:53 AM
1. I love the opening Saturday of college football. It's like Christmas morning for me every year. I should have grilled but with so many great games, I went the easy route and cooked a pot of red beans and rice. Added Bryan's Smokeyhollow sausage and some ham as well. Tony's as well for more flavor.

2. We won the pillow fight. You could see it coming after the kickoff return and quick score in the 4th. Tech played soft on that possession, playing not to lose. We kicked it in from there. Terrible job by Holtz on that last possession of not trying to get 10-15 more yards or so. He played soft and it cost them.

3. Will Rogers is a placeholder until a more talented player is ready. He's a slightly more talented Rob Morgan. He doesn't have the arm, pocket presence, or escapability to be a bigtime QB. But he does have toughness and football sense. We can get by with him in the short term but there is no way Leach wins any big game with him as QB.

4. Marks looks great. 11/71 and one of those carries a was 1 yd TD. We ran the ball well.

5. Speaking of- this is why this shit isn't going to work. We threw the ball 52 times yesterday (47 passes and 5 Rogers carries) and only ran the ball 14 times. Part of being good on offense is keeping defenses guessing. What are they going to do here? We don't make DC's guess anything. Defenses play pass against us every play. It's why they are able to dial up pressure often. It's why there is rarely anything downfield for us-we do nothing to force the safeties to have to come up at all. They just sit back playing CF. It's 7 on 7 with a running play once in a blue moon.

6. The OL run blocked well. 14/84 by the RB's. The OL did not handle the twists and stunts very well at all. The OL coach is not getting thru to these guys or something. That's just basic OL play that is practiced every day. We got quite a bit of pressure from one of the weaker DL's we will play this Fall. 3 sacks, holds and false starts. Lashley graded out pretty well but the rest looked like ass.

7. We are improved at WR. Heath didnt even play and we didnt miss a beat. It wasn't all dump offs to the RB's yesterday as Polk caught 10 balls. Williams got catches in the middle, and Walley made some big plays. RB, WR, and CB has some talent on this team again.

8. We do not have a top 5 SEC defense. Georgia, Bama, A&M- those are what top SEC D's look like. We gave up 27 points and 370 yards to an offense that wasnt all that good. This bunch was picked in the bottom half of C-USA. Losing Davis hurt and you can see it. 1 sack yesterday with all the pressure we brought. We have bring pressure in tough situations because we have no pass rush. That's going to cost us as the season goes. Look for NC State to have some stuff ready for the blitz on big downs.

9. We are pretty good at LB and CB tho. Forbes and Emerson do a great job in man coverage. I loved their physicality against the Tech WR's. Be physical the refs won't call PI that often. Set the tone for the game. They did. They played lesser players yesterday and won most of the battles. Long road ahead tho.

10. Anything can happen in sports but this looks like a 4/5 win team in 2021. Our best hope is that Leach decides he has enough money and heads to Key West to live out the rest of his life. I know that is going to trigger some of you and I don't care. You will see things my way after this year's Egg Bowl when the bowl streak ends. At least we arent Vandy.

calidawg
09-05-2021, 10:57 AM
We're a 6 or 7 win team. Same prediction as before the season. Everyone is just being dramatic after 1 game

msstate7
09-05-2021, 11:03 AM
We're a 6 or 7 win team. Same prediction as before the season. Everyone is just being dramatic after 1 game

I think most preseason predictions were on the premise our D would be really good. I have big concerns on the D

WSOPdawg
09-05-2021, 11:06 AM
I think most preseason predictions were on the premise our D would be really good. I have big concerns on the D

Our inability on Defense to get to and/or pressure the QB also appears to have inadvertently prepared (or should I say, underprepared) our OL on how to stop the twisting and stunts that other teams will throw at us. We will go as far as the OL allows us to go this year unfortunately.

calidawg
09-05-2021, 11:06 AM

Meh, offense turned it over 4 times, defense gave up 2 big explosive plays, and we had 12 penalties. Oklahoma had a barn burner against Tulane. It happens. 4th quarter showed who we are.

RezDog7
09-05-2021, 11:10 AM

Wasn't the D trash against LSU last year too? Do you think they can get better? The O sucks though.

KOdawg1
09-05-2021, 11:13 AM
I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense. And I'm not sure how throwing for 370 yards is boring but it is. Everything has to go right for this offense to work. There are no fallback plans. That's why I don't think it will work.

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2021, 11:14 AM
After the difficulty that most teams had yesterday, I think it?s too early to say how good or bad we are.

I think we?re going to have a much much better idea after next Saturday due to the wake up call yesterday.

I?d say anyone guessing 5 or less wins or 8 or more wins have an agenda that they?re pushing.

The reality is that we looked like crap yesterday but also appear more talented in some areas. Rogers is extremely limited physically and that lowers our ceiling dramatically, but, other than that, I need another week to have a better feel for this team. A bunch of good teams looked awful yesterday

Coach34
09-05-2021, 11:16 AM
I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense.

agreed. RB's caught over 100 passes last season. Had 12 catches yesterday. It's hard to watch

TaleofTwoDogs
09-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Very good assessment especially #3 & 5. Rob Morgan is perfect but I was thinking more of a better Henig.

CadaverDawg
09-05-2021, 11:21 AM
I thought the air raid was supposed to be exciting? This is a boring ass offense. And I'm not sure how throwing for 370 yards is boring but it is. Everything has to go right for this offense to work. There are no fallback plans. That's why I don't think it will work.

You're right. The amount of short passes that have no ability to be home runs, makes it about as exciting as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It doesn't help that we only run 5 plays...that also makes it boring. Now don't get me wrong, if we're winning 10 games with it, it's not so boring...but when you run 5 plays and struggle to beat La Tech, it sucks.

I will definitely not be basing my Saturdays this fall on the schedule of the team I watched yesterday. I support them, but I know a team that will not have success when I see one, and Leach will not have success here. Unfortunately

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 11:22 AM
It seems like what I was seeing was Will with adequate time but seemed unsure of himself operating in slow motion.

Coach34
09-05-2021, 11:25 AM
After the difficulty that most teams had yesterday, I think it?s too early to say how good or bad we are.

I think we?re going to have a much much better idea after next Saturday due to the wake up call yesterday.

Who? Clemson/Georgia was 2 of the best defenses in the country with all offseason to prepare for each other.
Oklahoma had a huge lead and coasted against a Tulane team that isn't bad.
A&M rolled
Bama rolled
Fla rolled
LSU lost on the road to a good football team
Kentucky is better offensively
Auburn rolled
Tenn rolled
SC rolled

Who is this "most" you speak of?

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Who? Clemson/Georgia was 2 of the best defenses in the country with all offseason to prepare for each other.
Oklahoma had a huge lead and coasted against a Tulane team that isn't bad.
A&M rolled
Bama rolled
Fla rolled
LSU lost on the road to a good football team
Kentucky is better offensively
Auburn rolled
Tenn rolled
SC rolled

Who is this "most" you speak of?

Iowa State almost beat by Northern Iowa
Oklahoma didn't roll or coast in any sense of the word. Not close to rolling

Texas A&M was up 10-3 into the 3rd Q to Kent State

Washington lost to Montana

Florida wasn't at 30 points till late

Tenn was close deep into the 3rd Q

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. In fact, I lean your way. But I also think there is a good chance that we just played really poorly yesterday and yesterday was a weird day.

I feel like I'll have an infinitely better feel for this team after next Sat.

Remember the 2014 struggled with UAB early. Not saying this team is anything close to that team, but just making a point that you don't always play well and that the game is really hard.

Without 4 TOs yesterday, we roll and that's not even considering the penalties.

Quaoarsking
09-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Coach34 already walking back his 4-8 prediction to "4/5 wins." Can't even commit for 12 hours.

A week from now he'll be at "maybe 6" and whatever our record is at the end of November he'll have called it at some point.

NCDawg
09-05-2021, 11:43 AM
You're right. The amount of short passes that have no ability to be home runs, makes it about as exciting as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It doesn't help that we only run 5 plays...that also makes it boring. Now don't get me wrong, if we're winning 10 games with it, it's not so boring...but when you run 5 plays and struggle to beat La Tech, it sucks.

I will definitely not be basing my Saturdays this fall on the schedule of the team I watched yesterday. I support them, but I know a team that will not have success when I see one, and Leach will not have success here. Unfortunately

I think a lot of it has to do with our recruiting of OL and DL players. Every time I see a commitment mentioned I'm hoping that it is a DL or OL player. Most of the time, however, it is a W/R or D/B. Seems like that has been our problem forever, and if you can't get quality linemen, you are not going to be a great team.

msstate7
09-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Iowa State almost beat by Northern Iowa
Oklahoma didn't roll or coast in any sense of the word. Not close to rolling

Texas A&M was up 10-3 into the 3rd Q to Kent State

Washington lost to Montana

Florida wasn't at 30 points till late

Tenn was close deep into the 3rd Q

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. In fact, I lean your way. But I also think there is a good chance that we just played really poorly yesterday and yesterday was a weird day.

I feel like I'll have an infinitely better feel for this team after next Sat.

Remember the 2014 struggled with UAB early. Not saying this team is anything close to that team, but just making a point that you don't always play well and that the game is really hard.

Without 4 TOs yesterday, we roll and that's not even considering the penalties.

You realize they had 2 TOs too that lead to 14 points, right?

aTm was -3 in TOs and +31 in points

PCHSDawg
09-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Coach34 already walking back his 4-8 prediction to "4/5 wins." Can't even commit for 12 hours.

A week from now he'll be at "maybe 6" and whatever our record is at the end of November he'll have called it at some point.Yeah every time I read his predictions I remember why he is on my Ignore list.

Coach34
09-05-2021, 12:15 PM

A week from now he'll be at "maybe 6" and whatever our record is at the end of November he'll have called it at some point.

Not sure about your reading comprehension. I clearly said 4/5 win team that would not make it to a bowl game. That's a pretty definite line drawn.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 12:23 PM
I guess the question this year is whether or not any teams going to be able to hold the spread through the first quarter against Saban

Quaoarsking
09-05-2021, 12:25 PM
Not sure about your reading comprehension. I clearly said 4/5 win team that would not make it to a bowl game. That's a pretty definite line drawn.

No. You explicitly called us a 4-win team in multiple posts:

4 wins will still be 4 wins. This team had to score 21 points in the 4th to beat the 2nd worst team on its schedule

Our best hope is that after this 4-8 season Leach decides he has enough money and heads to Key West

Is your head so far up your own ass that you legitimately can't remember what you typed out a few hours ago? Or did you just not realize we're playing Vanderbilt again this year and weren't counting that as a win last night?

Coach34
09-05-2021, 12:27 PM
No Bowl Game for us in 2021

Comprehend that

Quaoarsking
09-05-2021, 12:31 PM
No Bowl Game for us in 2021

Comprehend that

I'm sure before long you'll walk it back to "only a minor bowl game," just like you walked back "4 wins" to "4 or 5 wins."

KOdawg1
09-05-2021, 12:33 PM
I think we may get to 5 wins.

Tenn St and Vandy for sure. Then I think we could win 2 more between NC State, Memphis, Arky, and Kentucky. OM has moved to the L column for me. So my new prediction is 5 wins with a shot at 6.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-05-2021, 12:34 PM
This offense was exciting at Wash. St. because they were going up against powder puff defenses. 5 yard crossing routes often turned into 60 yard td's. 5 yard crossing routes in the SEC often turn into 5 yards. And sometimes not.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 12:34 PM
I'm sure before long you'll walk it back to "only a minor bowl game," just like you walked back "4 wins" to "4 or 5 wins."

Is "4-5" vs "4" worthy of a pissin match?

Jarius
09-05-2021, 12:39 PM
This offense was exciting at Wash. St. because they were going up against powder puff defenses. 5 yard crossing routes often turned into 60 yard td's. 5 yard crossing routes in the SEC often turn into 5 yards. And sometimes not.

We just played a powder puff defense from CUSA. Something else is wrong than strength of opponent.

TrapGame
09-05-2021, 12:41 PM
I think we may get to 5 wins.

Tenn St and Vandy for sure. Then I think we could win 2 more between NC State, Memphis, Arky, and Kentucky. OM has moved to the L column for me. So my new prediction is 5 wins with a shot at 6.

What's funny is they are having this same discussion on TigerDroppings. But they think Kentucky is gonna beat the corn dog stink off of them. They also think we give them a close game. They don't see O winning more than 6 games tops.

I'm not pumping anymore sunshine but I want to see how we handle the next three before I jump off the cliff.

Quaoarsking
09-05-2021, 12:42 PM

Yes.

It would be totally fine if he said "Last night I was pretty sure we would be 4-8 but after taking a second look at the schedule I think we have a better shot at 5 than I realized. I will do better at knowing my facts before I post next time." Instead he does his typical BS of making a bunch of different predictions so he'll have something to point back to no matter what happens. At least this way, we've gotten a concrete, big bold letters prediction of "No bowl in 2021" out of him.

And I would expect nothing less from him if the tables were turned. The one time I posted something factually wrong since joining in 2013, he pointed out almost immediately, and I corrected it.

BrunswickDawg
09-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Yes.

It would be totally fine if he said "Last night I was pretty sure we would be 4-8 but after taking a second look at the schedule I think we have a better shot at 5 than I realized. I will do better at knowing my facts before I post next time." Instead he does his typical BS of making a bunch of different predictions so he'll have something to point back to no matter what happens. At least this way, we've gotten a concrete, big bold letters prediction of "No bowl in 2021" out of him.

And I would expect nothing less from him if the tables were turned. The one time I posted something factually wrong since joining in 2013, he pointed out almost immediately, and I corrected it.
He gonna be pissed when we make a bowl at 5-7 lol

Tbonewannabe
09-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Very good assessment especially #3 & 5. Rob Morgan is perfect but I was thinking more of a better Henig.

Hening had a cannon. He just wasn't accurate or had any quality QB coaching.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Yes.

You've been wrong only once in 8 years? Impressive.

Quaoarsking
09-05-2021, 01:11 PM
You've been wrong only once in 8 years? Impressive.

Yes, in a great humiliation I once posted that Nevada's overtime win over Boise State was in 2011 when it actually happened in 2010.

Offshore Dawg
09-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Until State gets better players, they will not be a better team. Just stating the obvious.

shoeless joe
09-05-2021, 04:09 PM
This type of season is right in the C34 wheelhouse?he?s picked us to win very few and now being right about that will be more important than state having a good season. I?ll be prepared for him to gloat after any loss.

And for the record I don?t necessarily disagree with C34?but I do hope we figure some things out. Hope.

WinningIsRelentless
09-05-2021, 04:18 PM
1. I love the opening Saturday of college football. It's like Christmas morning for me every year. I should have grilled but with so many great games, I went the easy route and cooked a pot of red beans and rice. Added Bryan's Smokeyhollow sausage and some ham as well. Tony's as well for more flavor.

2. We won the pillow fight. You could see it coming after the kickoff return and quick score in the 4th. Tech played soft on that possession, playing not to lose. We kicked it in from there. Terrible job by Holtz on that last possession of not trying to get 10-15 more yards or so. He played soft and it cost them.

3. Will Rogers is a placeholder until a more talented player is ready. He's a slightly more talented Rob Morgan. He doesn't have the arm, pocket presence, or escapability to be a bigtime QB. But he does have toughness and football sense. We can get by with him in the short term but there is no way Leach wins any big game with him as QB.

4. Marks looks great. 11/71 and one of those carries a was 1 yd TD. We ran the ball well.

5. Speaking of- this is why this shit isn't going to work. We threw the ball 52 times yesterday (47 passes and 5 Rogers carries) and only ran the ball 14 times. Part of being good on offense is keeping defenses guessing. What are they going to do here? We don't make DC's guess anything. Defenses play pass against us every play. It's why they are able to dial up pressure often. It's why there is rarely anything downfield for us-we do nothing to force the safeties to have to come up at all. They just sit back playing CF. It's 7 on 7 with a running play once in a blue moon.

6. The OL run blocked well. 14/84 by the RB's. The OL did not handle the twists and stunts very well at all. The OL coach is not getting thru to these guys or something. That's just basic OL play that is practiced every day. We got quite a bit of pressure from one of the weaker DL's we will play this Fall. 3 sacks, holds and false starts. Lashley graded out pretty well but the rest looked like ass.

7. We are improved at WR. Heath didnt even play and we didnt miss a beat. It wasn't all dump offs to the RB's yesterday as Polk caught 10 balls. Williams got catches in the middle, and Walley made some big plays. RB, WR, and CB has some talent on this team again.

8. We do not have a top 5 SEC defense. Georgia, Bama, A&M- those are what top SEC D's look like. We gave up 27 points and 370 yards to an offense that wasnt all that good. This bunch was picked in the bottom half of C-USA. Losing Davis hurt and you can see it. 1 sack yesterday with all the pressure we brought. We have bring pressure in tough situations because we have no pass rush. That's going to cost us as the season goes. Look for NC State to have some stuff ready for the blitz on big downs.

9. We are pretty good at LB and CB tho. Forbes and Emerson do a great job in man coverage. I loved their physicality against the Tech WR's. Be physical the refs won't call PI that often. Set the tone for the game. They did. They played lesser players yesterday and won most of the battles. Long road ahead tho.

10. Anything can happen in sports but this looks like a 4/5 win team in 2021. Our best hope is that Leach decides he has enough money and heads to Key West to live out the rest of his life. I know that is going to trigger some of you and I don't care. You will see things my way after this year's Egg Bowl when the bowl streak ends. At least we arent Vandy.

The ol problem on twist and stunts is the spacing. Mason has been very vocal about this with Leach and told him it had to change. He?s told myself and others in private meetings that the speed and strength across the d front isn?t something they?ve had to deal with week in and week out before.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Until State gets better players, they will not be a better team. Just stating the obvious.

We have top 30 recruiting every year yet need homefiled advantage and a missed fg to beat... Louisiana Tech? What do they recruit, in the 70s? 80s?

If the problem was "better players" then we'd need to recruit at a Bama level to beat a borderline top 25 team.

Leach proved at his last 2 jobs you don't need a talent advantage to make the system work. So clearly, the problem is coaching. What group killed the O drive after drive? The OL, with a shout out to fumbles. The 2nd can be cleaned up quick but the OL sucked last year too so I think it's time to upgrade the coach there

TaleofTwoDogs
09-05-2021, 04:53 PM

^^THIS^^^

Who give a shit.

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2021, 05:00 PM
First place holder in MSU history to throw for 370 yards 83 percent completions and 3 tds with one pick

Percho
09-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Hening had a cannon. He just wasn't accurate or had any quality QB coaching.

And best I can remember a sieve for an OL.

Coach34
09-05-2021, 05:36 PM
First place holder in MSU history to throw for 370 yards 83 percent completions and 3 tds with one pick

Houston Baptist put 38 on them last year. Will has plenty of opportunity ahead of him this season.

Coach34
09-05-2021, 05:38 PM
The ol problem on twist and stunts is the spacing. Mason has been very vocal about this with Leach and told him it had to change. He?s told myself and others in private meetings that the speed and strength across the d front isn?t something they?ve had to deal with week in and week out before.

I agree with this.

Jarius
09-05-2021, 05:42 PM

They have seen plenty of La Techs in their day. This is more than a talent on defense being too much issue, even though they were not as bad as some are trying to make them seem because we have to protect Will Rogers image at all costs apparently.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-05-2021, 06:10 PM
They have seen plenty of La Techs in their day. This is more than a talent on defense being too much issue, even though they were not as bad as some are trying to make them seem because we have to protect Will Rogers image at all costs apparently.

Seriously all these "sec is too fast!" Or "we need more talent!" Posts are idiotic because we just played LOUISIANA TECH! They don't have SEC anything. Wazzou beat teams better than LT with recruiting classes in the 70s.

So no, the issue isn't with SEC anything. We have far far far more basic issues with getting this system working. When we beat bad teams like Leach teams of old, THEN we can evaluate the Air Raid, wide splits, etc. Till we can block a 3 man rush with a twist by LT, we can't say the system doesn't work in the SEC

msstate7
09-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Not sure we'll ever be good enough at tackle to handle sec DEs on an island

ETA... now as much as I hate our blocking scheme, yesterday, we shoulda been talented enough to handle them

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Houston Baptist put 38 on them last year. Will has plenty of opportunity ahead of him this season.

Yeah before 19 transfers. You know as well as I do shit happens sometimes

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2021, 07:24 PM
Not sure we'll ever be good enough at tackle to handle sec DEs on an island

ETA... now as much as I hate our blocking scheme, yesterday, we shoulda been talented enough to handle them

I agree but Lashley has never played really in college, Dolla Bill never played really. Cross was good for most of the day but got beat one time and allowed the strip sack. They will get better. We are huge up front they will figure it out. We should be much better at zone this year

BrunswickDawg
09-05-2021, 07:39 PM
I agree but Lashley has never played really in college, Dolla Bill never played really. Cross was good for most of the day but got beat one time and allowed the strip sack. They will get better. We are huge up front they will figure it out. We should be much better at zone this year

Which gets back to what Wyatt was taking about on his pod earlier this week - the talent is there, but it has little experience. It's going to take some time for it to gel.

R2Dawg
09-05-2021, 07:49 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with our recruiting of OL and DL players. Every time I see a commitment mentioned I'm hoping that it is a DL or OL player. Most of the time, however, it is a W/R or D/B. Seems like that has been our problem forever, and if you can't get quality linemen, you are not going to be a great team.

Totally agree here. This is a bigger issue to MSU long term. We have always gotten these guys. Leach isn't interested. He only wants to recruit a few positions - QB and WR.

In the SEC, we gotta get the trenches, best available especially in Miss. Just seems like that isn't happening anymore. That could do way more damage long term than his air raid stuff he has brought in here.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Which gets back to what Wyatt was taking about on his pod earlier this week - the talent is there, but it has little experience. It's going to take some time for it to gel.

Yes and they really did play well in the 4th quarter. Now let's hope we can carry that forward.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 08:30 PM
Seems forever since we've had a Chris Jones...j Simmons....montez sweat and that bad ass from zoo town playin in Philly.. Now I remember. Fletcher Cox

Bass Chaser
09-05-2021, 08:38 PM
C34 - Reality check. State will never hire who you want in any sport. Give it up.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2021, 09:38 PM
C34 - Reality check. State will never hire who you want in any sport. Give it up.

Unless they hired c34 himself

Catfish
09-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Unless they hired c34 himself

You're kidding right?

Commercecomet24
09-05-2021, 09:44 PM
You're kidding right?

I thought that was understood 😂

Although I'm sure it would make him happy.

Coach34
09-05-2021, 09:44 PM

Not even remotely true

We made the perfect hire in Mullen. Loved him. Only problems I had with him was not spending the money on Cam, giving up too easy on out of state 4 stars, and his constant job shopping. I wasnt against the Jovester hiring but he showed quickly he wasnt the guy for the job. I like Leach alot as a person. He is funny, smartass, and a conservative. Not to mention I love the beach as well. I just hate his offense. He will adjust or the SEC will teach him that lesson. I thought they already had in match-ups prior to coming to the SEC.

I loved the Howland hire. I was surprised it happened but underestimated how much Adidas wanted their guy back in college basketball. Been good for us and this year looks like it could be very exciting.

Lemon has proven to be a good hire. I dont agree with the extreme dependence on analytics and the pitching decisions drive me crazy at times but he recruits his ass off. His teams are tough. He is our guy for the next 15 years unless he ****s it up somehow.

Bdawg
09-05-2021, 09:57 PM
agreed. RB's caught over 100 passes last season. Had 12 catches yesterday. It's hard to watch

Let me ask this, what's the difference in short passes that gain 5 yds or short runs? Because if we ran it for 5 yds/carry we would say we shoved it up their a**! But if we hit short passes for the same yardage, the O sucks and is hard to watch. I don't care if we run it 50 times a game or pass it 50 times a game as long as it's affective and we win.

Jarius
09-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Let me ask this, what's the difference in short passes that gain 5 yds or short runs? Because if we ran it for 5 yds/carry we would say we shoved it up their a**! But if we hit short passes for the same yardage, the O sucks and is hard to watch. I don't care if we run it 50 times a game or pass it 50 times a game as long as it's affective and we win.

It’s a lot easier to get holding penalties that kill drives when you throw it every down and if you dink and dunk all day you can’t afford to get those penalties.

Bdawg
09-05-2021, 10:17 PM
It’s a lot easier to get holding penalties that kill drives when you throw it every down and if you dink and dunk all day you can’t afford to get those penalties.

You can be disciplined and not commit penalties then. But you never answered any of my questions.

Bothrops
09-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Seems forever since we've had a Chris Jones...j Simmons....montez sweat and that bad ass from zoo town playin in Philly

Yep, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting those type guys again.

Jarius
09-05-2021, 10:53 PM
You can be disciplined and not commit penalties then. But you never answered any of my questions.

I mean if we start doing that then there is no difference but we have not done that so far and it is much easier to be disciplined and not commit penalties run blocking 60 % of the time against future first round draft picks on SEC DL’s. This offense has a higher ceiling if we can actually run it. Hopefully we can get the right athletes at the right spots to do just that.

Cowbell
09-05-2021, 11:04 PM
It?s a lot easier to get holding penalties that kill drives when you throw it every down and if you dink and dunk all day you can?t afford to get those penalties.

Umm...this isn't true at all. I know from experience

7 yards per attempt is not dink and dunk

Cowbell
09-05-2021, 11:07 PM
I mean if we start doing that then there is no difference but we have not done that so far and it is much easier to be disciplined and not commit penalties run blocking 60 % of the time against future first round draft picks on SEC DL’s. This offense has a higher ceiling if we can actually run it. Hopefully we can get the right athletes at the right spots to do just that.

Maybe we have the right athletes, it's just that they are all true sophomores

chef dixon
09-06-2021, 08:33 AM
One of the main problems with using the short passing game as your running game is a tipped pass or drop is just killer for the drive.

Dolphus Raymond
09-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Next Saturday will tell the tale. We win by 2 touchdowns.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Umm...this isn't true at all. I know from experience

7 yards per attempt is not dink and dunk

You do realize that 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 25 = 40.....40 divided by 6 = 7 yds per attempt. But anybody with a brain would say just bc we had one 25 yard gain in those 6 passes, we still dinked and dunked bc the other 5 were 3 yard plays.

My point is, you're making it out like we literally threw 7 yard passes every play, but we didn't. It's an average that can be greatly skewed by a few big gains. I want Leach to win, but cherry picking numbers to try and polish the turd of an offense we've seen a majority of his tenure so far here, isn't helping defend him.

Dawgface
09-06-2021, 09:25 AM
I believe a 4-5 win season is very possible. Hell at the start of the 4th qtr a one win season looked possible. Need another game to see how the season shakes out. If we somehow put it together Saturday and win then a 7 win season is possible. I'm not overly optimistic but I'm always a pessimist. Ha

Jarius
09-06-2021, 09:26 AM
You do realize that 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 25 = 40.....40 divided by 6 = 7 yds per attempt. But anybody with a brain would say just bc we had one 25 yard gain in those 6 passes, we still dinked and dunked bc the other 5 were 3 yard plays.

My point is, you're making it out like we literally threw 7 yard passes every play, but we didn't. It's an average that can be greatly skewed by a few big gains. I want Leach to win, but cherry picking numbers to try and polish the turd of an offense we've seen a majority of his tenure so far here, isn't helping defend him.

Yea but still.

Jarius
09-06-2021, 09:28 AM
Maybe we have the right athletes, it's just that they are all true sophomores

I sure hope so.

Dolphus Raymond
09-07-2021, 09:17 AM
We?ll know a lot more about this team Saturday. Is the sky falling or is it growing pains? As I said previously, coming from behind by three scores in the 4th quarter was impressive as I had already given up any hope of winning. However, the fact that we trailed La Tech and had to come from behind is most definitely concerning.

ScoobaDawg
09-08-2021, 02:42 AM
It was a most frustrating win. I believe in dropping my win prediction from 7 to 6.

dawgman15
09-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Why are people mad that we are averaging 7.9 yards per attempt. We're gaining almost 8 yards every time we attempt to throw the ball, not just catch it. When was the last time we averaged 7.9 per rush for all of you saying to RTGDF every game

QuadrupleOption
09-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Totally agree here. This is a bigger issue to MSU long term. We have always gotten these guys. Leach isn't interested. He only wants to recruit a few positions - QB and WR.

In the SEC, we gotta get the trenches, best available especially in Miss. Just seems like that isn't happening anymore. That could do way more damage long term than his air raid stuff he has brought in here.

Leach was quoted the other day saying the o line was the most important unit in the offense. You think he's going to say that and then NOT get offensive linemen?

QuadrupleOption
09-08-2021, 10:00 AM

One exercise for me would be to remove throws to the RB position from the calculations. Those are basically hand-offs in any other offense. Even the dump-offs are a result of Will not seeing open WRs, or there not being any open WRs downfield and just trying to get something before moving on to the next play.

In any event, just looking at the completions to the WR position, everyone but Polk had >10 yards per reception. I'd like more of those but the only issue with our Offense Saturday was sloppy O line play. If that gets cleaned up we'll be okay. We aren't winning the SEC but we'll be okay.

Bdawg
09-08-2021, 09:52 PM
One of the main problems with using the short passing game as your running game is a tipped pass or drop is just killer for the drive.

What's difference in a drop for no gain or a run for no gain?