PDA

View Full Version : Look at the stats.

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:17 PM
Some of you guys need to look at the stats. Doesn?t seem like the offense is the problem. We have to get our oline blocking all the time like they did in the fourth quarter but I think we are ok offensively. Woody is good. Qb is serviceable, and receivers are good. We just have to figure out our o-line. Our defense has some holes. And we have to stop turning the ball over on offense. Other than that we were fine.

TrapGame
09-04-2021, 07:19 PM
Some of you guys need to look at the stats. Doesn?t seem like the offense is the problem. We have to get our oline blocking all the time like they did in the fourth quarter but I think we are ok offensively. Woody is good. Qb is serviceable, and receivers are good. We just have to figure out our o-line. Our defense has some holes. And we have to stop turning the ball over on offense. Other than that we were fine.

Did we plug in some other guys on OL in the 4th?

TNDawg35
09-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Also would help not getting penalty after penalty…

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:21 PM

I’m honestly not sure. Gonna go back and watch our last few drives later snd see. Something was def different. Maybe we made an adjustment. Something happened because we couldn’t block their 3 for 3 quarters. I’m the fourth they were sending 4 amd 5 and we were blocking them. It was odd

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Also would help not getting penalty after penalty…

I do agree with this

HancockCountyDog
09-04-2021, 07:22 PM

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

I?m kidding, long day.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Rogers has to get rid of the ball quicker as well. some of the sacks were on him. but Dollar Bill and Lashley have to step up quickly and play a lot more angry or put in someone else.

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Rogers has to get rid of the ball quicker as well? some of the sacks were on him? but Dollar Bill and Lashley have to step up quickly and play a lot more angry or put in someone else.

Tbh cross was awful today as well.

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2021, 07:25 PM
LOL, you really are Baghdad Bob, aren't ya? That was an inept offensive performance, stats and score be damned. We won because our WRs were just athletically better than their DBs. It was essentially a fluke. That 21 PPG last year is going to look good compared to this year, I fear. We have noodle arm QB that can't throw it deep and make up for it with immobile offensive linemen trying to get him murdered.

R2Dawg
09-04-2021, 07:27 PM

Stats don't tell the story of this game as is the case on a lot of games. For 2.5 quarters our O couldn't have scored on Alcorn St.

Bass Chaser
09-04-2021, 07:29 PM
We were awful today.

10 penalties 95 yards
4 turnovers
2/8 on 3rd downs

Not sure on sacks/hurries given up.

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:33 PM
We were awful today.

10 penalties 95 yards
4 turnovers
2/8 on 3rd downs

Not sure on sacks/hurries given up.

With all those penalties and turnovers we still scored 35 points and had nearly 500 yards of offense. Yea, offense ain’t the problem.

BuckyIsAB****
09-04-2021, 07:35 PM
LOL, you really are Baghdad Bob, aren't ya? That was an inept offensive performance, stats and score be damned. We won because our WRs were just athletically better than their DBs. It was essentially a fluke. That 21 PPG last year is going to look good compared to this year, I fear. We have noodle arm QB that can't throw it deep and make up for it with immobile offensive linemen trying to get him murdered.

We turned it over 4 times but yeah we won bc of a fluke

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 07:39 PM
For 2.5 quarters our O couldn't have scored on Alcorn St.

Yeah, I enjoy box-scores as much as anyone, but often you're better off going with the eye-test. We were absolutely putrid as a team after the score was 14 nil. Not really sure what happened in the 4th that sparked the comeback. I'll take it obviously, but I'm quite certain that isn't a sustainable game plan.

KOdawg1
09-04-2021, 07:39 PM
I don't care what the stats say. That was a bad showing. Great comeback. But that doesn't change the other 3 and a half quarters.

Couldn't stop a 3 man pass rush, penalties, turnovers, holding onto the ball too long, etc. Gotta clean all of that up if we want a chance next week.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 07:40 PM

We turned it over a ton last year too.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 07:41 PM
I don't care what the stats say. That was a bad showing. Great comeback. But that doesn't change the other 3 and a half quarters.

Couldn't stop a 3 man pass rush, penalties, turnovers, holding onto the ball too long, etc. Gotta clean all of that up if we want a chance next week.

Exactly.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2021, 07:42 PM

Rogers definitely has a noodle arm. It's absurd how much better La Tech's QB was than ours

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 07:42 PM

Exactly. It’s no fluke. Take away the 4 turnovers and we have 700 yards of offense

TrapGame
09-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Rogers definitely has a noodle arm. It's absurd how much better La Tech's QB was than ours

That's how I thought Costello was going to look like last season. And that blew up too.

KOdawg1
09-04-2021, 07:44 PM

Uh oh..

R2Dawg
09-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Exactly. It?s no fluke. Take away the 4 turnovers and we have 700 yards of offense

If you take away our TO then you have to take away theirs. You can play the what if all day. We won by skin of our teeth and we sucked.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Exactly. It?s no fluke. Take away the 4 turnovers and we have 700 yards of offense

I mean, maybe? Those other possessions didn't look great either. The same stuff we did poorly last year, we do this year (minus the QB, for the most part).

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Uh oh..

https://media.giphy.com/media/SISeMXjOQh596/giphy.gif

Coach34
09-04-2021, 07:55 PM
We struggled against the 2nd worst team on our schedule. Thats the bottom line.

PGHBulldogBG
09-04-2021, 08:03 PM
I commend our players for the comeback, but now I don?t think we will beat Ole Miss due to giving up too many big plays. Hopefully we get that fixed but I think 5-7 now instead of 6-6

BiscuitEater
09-04-2021, 08:05 PM

Last three drive, Will got the ball out of his hand much quicker! It showed.

R2Dawg
09-04-2021, 08:13 PM
I commend our players for the comeback, but now I don?t think we will beat Ole Miss due to giving up too many big plays. Hopefully we get that fixed but I think 5-7 now instead of 6-6

Who are the 5 wins? Play like today I only see 3-4 at best. TSU and rest are up for grabs - Vandy, Memphis? Everyone else is a L.

LC Dawg
09-04-2021, 08:24 PM
It was hot today but I'm glad some of y'all kept some sunshine to pump.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2021, 08:26 PM

While true, a number of "good teams" are struggling this weekend. It's weird.

Iowa State barely beat Northern Iowa, A&M is only up 10-3 on Kent State, Clemson & UGA can't score, LSU's OL is garbage.

Teams clearly haven't found their identity yet. I'm just as concerned as you, but I do have some hope that what we saw in the 4th Q is what we'll be

OLJWales
09-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Covid picked a bad game to kick me in the ass and prevent me from drankin. 30 some odd year streak broken. We are going to suck this year I'm afraid to say.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2021, 08:32 PM
You can't look at stats with this terrible "Air Raid" we run. When you throw it a hundred times a game you're going to put up yards....but when you see Rogers completing 39 of 47 passes, that is actually a Terrible sign, because it means we threw 30-35 0-5 yard passes. In a normal offense a good completion percentage means offensive success, but in Leach's offense it means you probably failed to throw the ball downfield. Luckily at the end we were forced to be urgent and we came alive offensively. If we can find a way to play that way all game we may have something, but I will believe it when I see it. Bottom line, if Leach feels like Rogers is the guy, then turn his ass loose...bc we aren't winning anything of significance with the timid, passive, 3 yard passes. Speed the tempo up a bit, take some shots up the seams and over the top, and mix in more downhill runs. That's our only hope. Rogers is no longer a true freshman, it's time to let him grip it and rip it.

PGHBulldogBG
09-04-2021, 08:33 PM

Iowa State barely beat Northern Iowa, A&M is only up 10-3 on Kent State, Clemson & UGA can't score, LSU's OL is garbage.

Teams clearly haven't found their identity yet. I'm just as concerned as you, but I do have some hope that what we saw in the 4th Q is what we'll be

This Kent State/A&M game is nothing against A&M. I called this yesterday. Lewis is a great coach and he has a veteran team. They are actually extremely solid and would give a lot of sec teams minus alabama fits

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2021, 08:34 PM
You can't look at stats with this terrible "Air Raid" we run. When you throw it a hundred times a game you're going to put up yards....but when you see Rogers completing 39 of 47 passes, that is actually a Terrible sign, because it means we threw 30-35 0-5 yard passes. In a normal offense a good completion percentage means offensive success, but in Leach's offense it means you probably failed to throw the ball downfield. Luckily at the end we were forced to be urgent and we came alive offensively. If we can find a way to play that way all game we may have something, but I will believe it when I see it. Bottom line, if Leach feels like Rogers is the guy, then turn his ass loose...bc we aren't winning anything of significance with the timid, passive, 3 yard passes. Speed the tempo up a bit, take some shots up the seams and over the top, and mix in more downhill runs. That's our only hope. Rogers is no longer a true freshman, it's time to let him grip it and rip it.

This is 100% correct.

We started going down the field in the 4th because we had to. Let's just start that way

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 08:35 PM
but I do have some hope that what we saw in the 4th Q is what we'll be

I sure hope so. We have to cut out the turnovers, tho. 3 ****ing fumbles and a pick6. 1 of the fumbles was BS, obviously. I'm still worried about those drives that sputtered, mostly, tho...we don't covet possessions enough, and it's the same story as last year. Sputtering like that for 2 quarters in a game is a recipe for sucktitude.

MetEdDawg
09-04-2021, 08:45 PM

This is why I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what we look like next week. There are periods of time today where we looked unstoppable. There were periods of time where we looked flat awful. But to make a judgment for the rest of the season based on the first game of the year is ridiculous.

Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Oregon should all just cancel the season today since they looked bad in wins against bad teams.

We need to take a breath. We won despite playing periods of woefully unacceptable football. It's ok to admit that there were positives to take away from today. If you can't find them then you don't know what you're looking at.

We are 1-0 with a lot of work to do. Next week will be a much better gauge of what we truly are than today was.

CadaverDawg
09-04-2021, 08:48 PM
This is why I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what we look like next week. There are periods of time today where we looked unstoppable. There were periods of time where we looked flat awful. But to make a judgment for the rest of the season based on the first game of the year is ridiculous.

Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Oregon should all just cancel the season today since they looked bad in wins against bad teams.

We need to take a breath. We won despite playing periods of woefully unacceptable football. It's ok to admit that there were positives to take away from today. If you can't find them then you don't know what you're looking at.

We are 1-0 with a lot of work to do. Next week will be a much better gauge of what we truly are than today was.

None of those teams were down 20 to their opponent at home in the 4th Q. To compare the train wreck we watched today, to Oklahoma blowing an enormous lead to Tulane and still winning, is quite a stretch. But you do you. Personally, I don't have to watch a season and 2 games worth of trash to call it trash, a season and a game has given me all the evidence I need. This offense is not going to work here.

Irondawg
09-04-2021, 08:49 PM
The key to a successful spread passing offense is for the qb to identify the mismatch before the snap and then make sure he read the D right before releasing the ball.

Will seems to try and read the entire d post snap and then find the guy sitting in a safe hole in the D. That works so-so when you have a lot of time but you really limit yourself to 5 yard throws most of the time with no YAC.

Basically he?s trying to take the safe thing the defense is giving him vs testing what the weakness of the defense appears to be.

That?s not even taking our OL issues into account. 4Q there was a little more urgency and aggressiveness and that makes a difference.

Coach34
09-04-2021, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;1358097 a season and a game has given me all the evidence I need. This offense is not going to work here.[/QUOTE]

This is the correct answer. As with Crooms, Mullen, JoVester, and now Leach- I look forward to the day when a whole mot more of you catch up

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 09:37 PM
This is the correct answer. As with Crooms, Mullen, JoVester, and now Leach- I look forward to the day when a whole mot more of you catch up

Mullen?

HancockCountyDog
09-04-2021, 09:38 PM

Nailed it

TaleofTwoDogs
09-04-2021, 09:44 PM

Uh, last time I looked the offensive line was considered an integral part of the offense. How can your offense be OK if your line sucks?

Coach34
09-04-2021, 09:50 PM
Mullen?

Alot of your Crooms Loyalists didnt understand Mullen and the Spread would make us better offensively. Their argument was it would take Mullen a few years to recruit for the Spread- so we needed to keep Crooms because Tyler Russell could run the Croom Coast Offense

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 10:09 PM
Alot of your Crooms Loyalists didnt understand Mullen and the Spread would make us better offensively. Their argument was it would take Mullen a few years to recruit for the Spread- so we needed to keep Crooms because Tyler Russell could run the Croom Coast Offense

Ah, I see.

Thinking of the transition from Croom to Mullen. Year 1, Dan didn't have "his players", but there was still a quantum leap in our offense and general competitiveness, and year 2 was off to the races....almost like good coaches adapt to what they have and aren't beholden to their scheme. Hell, Dan flipped the script for Dak's senior year, and pretty much the same last 2 seasons with Florida.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Crooms Loyalists

Reading your post again, and this stuck out, lol.
Are these individuals required to wear protective head-gear and aren't allowed to drive automobiles?

Todd4State
09-04-2021, 10:17 PM
I’m honestly not sure. Gonna go back and watch our last few drives later snd see. Something was def different. Maybe we made an adjustment. Something happened because we couldn’t block their 3 for 3 quarters. I’m the fourth they were sending 4 amd 5 and we were blocking them. It was odd

They stopped playing like girls for whatever reason.

munk_munk92
09-05-2021, 02:29 AM
We got to have explosive plays. You can't drive the field with 20 passes and expect to not screw it up. We have to have 20 yard or more plays more often. And they were there just have to get will to throw the damn ball deep.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2021, 07:04 AM
Let me say this. I wanted the AIR RAID to work and it could say we were running more of what OU runs than this variant...
Truth is our DNA in football is a run first program. We don't or haven't attracted the big name WR and QBs. The Mullen game plan while he was here is what works best for us. A Mullen like coach thst buys into who we are as a program and recruits better than he did running that spread option look.
I felt last night just like I did after the UK game in 18 with SlowMo. We didn't hire the right guy. Long seasons is ahead of us but we clearly are not headed in the right direction.

MetEdDawg
09-05-2021, 07:12 AM
Let me say this. I wanted the AIR RAID to work and it could say we were running more of what OU runs than this variant...
Truth is our DNA in football is a run first program. We don't or haven't attracted the big name WR and QBs. The Mullen game plan while he was here is what works best for us. A Mullen like coach thst buys into who we are as a program and recruits better than he did running that spread option look.
I felt last night just like I did after the UK game in 18 with SlowMo. We didn't hire the right guy. Long seasons is ahead of us but we clearly are not headed in the right direction.

See I think the issue is not QB or WR. It's OL and if you look at our history, OL play is what makes or breaks our season.

Leach said it last week. OL is the most important position on the field and if you think differently you are wrong.

We scored 35 points and had an immensely efficient game from Will Rogers in doing that. And for those 5 drives we scored TDs we did basically whatever we wanted to do to La Tech. But why did we sputter for 2 entire quarters? OL play. They couldn't block stunts, the couldn't block a straight rush at the edge, etc.

This offense I think 100% can work in the SEC. But we don't have an OL that can do the job currently. Until that's fixed we will continue to have long stretches of inept offense and we won't score enough points on good teams to truly compete against them.

Lord McBuckethead
09-05-2021, 07:20 AM
Tbh cross was awful today as well.

Cross had maybe one of the worst games I have seen from a LT.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2021, 07:25 AM
Cross had maybe one of the worst games I have seen from a LT.
Good news is he won't be headed to the NFL after this year.

msstate7
09-05-2021, 07:28 AM
Good news is he won't be headed to the NFL after this year.

Is that good news? 5-star comes to state and he's a preseason top 10 pick... has to come back for senior year

Dawgfan77
09-05-2021, 07:28 AM
See I think the issue is not QB or WR. It's OL and if you look at our history, OL play is what makes or breaks our season.

Leach said it last week. OL is the most important position on the field and if you think differently you are wrong.

We scored 35 points and had an immensely efficient game from Will Rogers in doing that. And for those 5 drives we scored TDs we did basically whatever we wanted to do to La Tech. But why did we sputter for 2 entire quarters? OL play. They couldn't block stunts, the couldn't block a straight rush at the edge, etc.

This offense I think 100% can work in the SEC. But we don't have an OL that can do the job currently. Until that's fixed we will continue to have long stretches of inept offense and we won't score enough points on good teams to truly compete against them.

Agree on the OL being the most important. But traditionally we can attract road graders and these long unathletic boys leach is recruiting won't help you against sec DL. Those three LA tech boys were kicking our 5 OL ass for three quarters today.
You can argue all you want but fact is this particular air raid won't work here.

Dawgfan77
09-05-2021, 07:29 AM
Is that good news? 5-star comes to state and he's a preseason top 10 pick... has to come back for senior year

I forgot the .....

Ezsoil
09-05-2021, 07:31 AM

That may be true today ....but I'm not so sure La Tech won't win more games than you think.......yes this MSU team struggled but had they had the same fire and urgency last year, they win the Ark, OM, Ga and Kentucky games. I'm just glad to see adjustments regardless of how or what was done or said..last years team would have rolled over...

Sienfield
09-05-2021, 07:34 AM

It did look a lot like the UK game because in both games we had way too many penalties. That's one of the reasons we struggled so much in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Ezsoil
09-05-2021, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Dawgfan77;1358255]Agree on the OL being the most important. But traditionally we can attract road graders and these long unathletic boys leach is recruiting won't help you against sec DL. Those three LA tech boys were kicking our 5 OL ass for three quarters today.
You can argue all you want but fact is this particular air raid won't work here.[/QUOT

It wasn't three quarters ... it was two ...the first and fourth quarters the O Line did a nice job

Dawgfan77
09-05-2021, 07:56 AM

Will's QBR was..45...FORTY FiVE

Maroonthirteen
09-05-2021, 08:01 AM
We got to have explosive plays. You can't drive the field with 20 passes and expect to not screw it. ...just have to get will to throw the damn ball deep.

Ah, the Ole Out of Bounds talking point for passing the ball every play. Jackie Sherrills offense had plenty of "explosive" plays. I saw runs and passes of over 20 yards for a decade. Same with Mullen. I saw plenty of explosive runs and passes.

Air raid is a dink and dunk offense. Every thing is underneath because the defense gives you that. You can tell Will to chunk it 20 plus yards every play but he will be throwing into two high Safties and 3 CBs. Btw, the air raid requires you to go on 15 play drives for the most part.

Homedawg
09-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Just to be completely fair he was 9/10 on balls more than 10 yards. Yes he held it too long several times. But he was accurate

msstatelp1
09-05-2021, 08:45 AM
Not going 4 consecutive plays without a penalty or turnover kills you.

https://twitter.com/RadioWyatt/status/1434499821994487813?s=19

CadaverDawg
09-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Just to be completely fair he was 9/10 on balls more than 10 yards. Yes he held it too long several times. But he was accurate

Oh I know, and I agree he was accurate...which is even more head scratching that we don't let him throw it deeper or he chooses not to. Still means he threw, what, 29 balls, that were less than 10 yards. Most of which were to backs out of the backfield or wide open crossers that went for a few yards? Again, not saying Will isn't accurate, but when you dump it off to a safety valve 29 times in a game, your completion percentage won't ever be "bad". I was actually really impressed with his accuracy down field once he finally started letting it rip in the 4th Quarter. If he's THAT capable, then we have got to get more of those downfield strikes during the game. The rhythm we had late in the 4th, was the only rhythm we seemed to have all game. Why?

Based on the last 3 drives, Will is capable of slinging it, and we're capable of running some better tempo and rhythm...so we have to make that the norm. I know we were playing a prevent D some of those drives, but we still had tempo and Will still threw some lasers down field....so it's there. We just have to force that going forward. Will Leach do it though?

parabrave
09-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Who are the 5 wins? Play like today I only see 3-4 at best. TSU and rest are up for grabs - Vandy, Memphis? Everyone else is a L.

Who says Memphis is a Win.

OLJWales
09-05-2021, 12:12 PM

Muller's first year was a HUGE upward swing from Croom's last. I couldn't believe what I was seeing watching the LSU game even though we fell short in the end. Best 5 win team Ive ever seen.

Jack Lambert
09-05-2021, 02:32 PM

They got thier heads out of their asses and pride kicked in.

Ezsoil
09-05-2021, 02:45 PM

And so does Peyton Manning and dozens of other great quarterbacks

TrapGame
09-05-2021, 02:50 PM
They got thier heads out of their asses and pride kicked in.

Yeah, I went back and watched the 4th quarter. Dolla Bill started whooping his dude's ass on every snap. It looked like he picked up a couple of stunts and twists too. Completely different looking OL in the 4th quarter.

Jack Lambert
09-05-2021, 02:53 PM

Not arguing but did you watch every game of every team we are going to face? It was first week. I think it should take at least three weeks to make that judgement.

TrapGame
09-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Well, I'm sure if we had the 24 year old Will Rogers he would have looked that good too. Austin Kendall is a grown ass man that was out of college working as a drug rep. He has some maturity and experience Will has yet to find. Will is a sophomore in his second season of college ball.

Jack Lambert
09-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm sure if we had the 24 year old Will Rogers he would have looked that good too. Austin Kendall is a grown ass man that was out of college working as a drug rep. He has some maturity and experience Will has yet to find. Will is a sophomore in his second season of college ball.

And he played for OK and WV. He's been around College football for a while. Covid rule of not losing eligibility helped them out a bunch along with 19 portal transfers.

R2Dawg
09-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Who says Memphis is a Win.

Who said Memphis is a win? I asked the question, where are 5 wins? I said 3 or 4. LT, TSU, Vandy that is 3. Maybe Memphis if we are lucky. Who else will we beat?

If we fix penalties, play flawless, maybe we upset our way to 5-6 at best now. Looks like 6 is our ceiling right now and 3 the floor.

R2Dawg
09-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Muller's first year was a HUGE upward swing from Croom's last. I couldn't believe what I was seeing watching the LSU game even though we fell short in the end. Best 5 win team Ive ever seen.

Yep that 5 win team was good. One play from beating ranked GT and Houston while getting killed by refs. LSU had beat and lost. JWS had a couple real good losing teams too.