PDA

View Full Version : Game Week Depth Chart is Out

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2021, 03:36 PM
Game Week Depth Chart is Out https://hailstate.com/news/2021/8/30/football-depth-chart-2021-mississippi-state.aspx

msstate7
08-30-2021, 04:48 PM
What's up with the "OR"? Not buying chance is equal to will, and damn sure not buying Austin is equal to walley

bulldawg28
08-30-2021, 05:12 PM
What's up with the "OR"? Not buying chance is equal to will, and damn sure not buying Austin is equal to walley

Ha

Cowbell
08-30-2021, 05:19 PM

Because we start 2 Ys

Ari Gold
08-30-2021, 05:23 PM
WR is the least of my worries on who is “listed” as starting

Seeing Reese on there at back up shows we prob got a really good one with him
Great to see Lawrence back on the depth chart , a lot of people forget about that kid last year. He missed the entire season after playing a lot as a true freshman.. he will be a welcomed edition back for us to that backend
I will be shocked if Jett Johnson is still listed on a week 4 depth chart and going forward
Excited to see what kind of progress D Richardson has made since last season .. I know Coach Wash is high on him

99jc
08-30-2021, 05:35 PM
offensive line 6'5" 6'5" 6'3" 6"7" 6'7" now there some beef. speaking of food where are good eating joints around Madison MS?

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2021, 05:48 PM
It's cool to see Christian Ford on there at Y. Kid is from my hometown and was MVP on a team that included Arik Gilbert and Harrison Bailey. Has potential but had to get his head on straight and bounced from Ga Southern to JUCO and now MSU. Hope he can take advantage of the opportunity.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-30-2021, 05:53 PM
99jc?.steakhouses: Elys, Shapleys, koestler Prime

Hambone
08-30-2021, 06:09 PM
Hamil’s

RiverCityDawg
08-30-2021, 07:01 PM
Because we start 2 Ys

No, we start one Y and one H, or just one Y if we're in two-back.

Cowbell
08-30-2021, 10:18 PM
No, we start one Y and one H, or just one Y if we're in two-back.

Those two will be on the field together

CaptainObvious
08-30-2021, 11:34 PM

Is it possible Leach is going to go old school and shuttle plays in with his Y receivers and those 2 guys alternate shuttling in every play? Just spitballing, not suggesting that is what this is.

jacksondawg
08-31-2021, 12:35 AM
Not trying to derail the the thread from the depth chart topic but here are a few
Primos, Georgia Blue, Local 463, Caet, Anjou, Strawberry Cafe, Halfshell Oyster House, Burgers Blues and BBQ, Kristos, Krilakis, Trace Grill, Sombra, Room Service,Taqueria La Guadalupe, Elys, Koestler Prime, and Pelican Cove (drinks on the reservoir and fried seafood). I probably left out some good ones but those are a few.

offensive line 6'5" 6'5" 6'3" 6"7" 6'7" now there some beef. speaking of food where are good eating joints around Madison MS?

RiverCityDawg
08-31-2021, 06:38 AM
Those two will be on the field together

Yes, if Williams plays H like he did last year after Walley became a starter.

secfan22
08-31-2021, 08:35 AM
It's cool to see Christian Ford on there at Y. Kid is from my hometown and was MVP on a team that included Arik Gilbert and Harrison Bailey. Has potential but had to get his head on straight and bounced from Ga Southern to JUCO and now MSU. Hope he can take advantage of the opportunity.

Not surprised he left Ga Southern. Its been a mess the last few years. My son played there starting in 2014. When Fritz left, the replacement was horrible and they went downhill fast.

Maverick91
08-31-2021, 09:11 AM
Not surprised he left Ga Southern. Its been a mess the last few years. My son played there starting in 2014. When Fritz left, the replacement was horrible and they went downhill fast.

Hey, see you just joined. Glad to have you on board.

secfan22
08-31-2021, 09:27 AM
Hey, see you just joined. Glad to have you on board.

I've been lurking for years, lol. My son played fball so I started following along as he went through the recruiting process. #noxubeealum

Johnson85
08-31-2021, 09:34 AM
Is it possible Leach is going to go old school and shuttle plays in with his Y receivers and those 2 guys alternate shuttling in every play? Just spitballing, not suggesting that is what this is.

I can't imagine we would use Walley to run plays in and out on a consistent basis. That's losing him for half the plays and using his legs a lot for running on and off the field rather than running routes.

Maverick91
08-31-2021, 09:42 AM
I've been lurking for years, lol. My son played fball so I started following along as he went through the recruiting process. #noxubeealum

LOL, nice. Yeah, I did the same.

Hot Rock
09-01-2021, 10:33 AM
Yes, if Williams plays H like he did last year after Walley became a starter.

You won't see Austin and Walley on the field at the same time. Not according to that depth Chart

Jamire has the "H" WR spot. That spot is his. Do not underestimate how good that guy can be. He is a 4 star WR that has been playing in this system for 3 years and two of those for Leach. He brings an experience factor to that position. The "Y" spot is up for grabs between Walley and Austin. Austin is ahead right now but we all know that Walley is more explosive and may overtake him at any point. I expect them to split snaps based on performance.

Johnson85
09-01-2021, 10:55 AM
You won't see Austin and Walley on the field at the same time. Not according to that depth Chart

Jamire has the "H" WR spot. That spot is his. Do not underestimate how good that guy can be. He is a 4 star WR that has been playing in this system for 3 years and two of those for Leach. He brings an experience factor to that position. The "Y" spot is up for grabs between Walley and Austin. Austin is ahead right now but we all know that Walley is more explosive and may overtake him at any point. I expect them to split snaps based on performance.

So are you saying that Walley has not recovered from his injury? Or that he has a bad attitude/work ethic problem? Because that's the only way that Austin is ahead of him at this point.

I am hoping that the "OR" is just essentially coach speak and we have upgraded our talent enough that we can afford to have Austin just take snaps when Walley needs a breather. Because if we really want Austin taking half the snaps, I can't imagine we'd put him at the same position as Walley instead of Jamire Calvin and Rufus Harvey.

RiverCityDawg
09-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Yes, the poster I was responding to said we start two Y's and they would be playing together so I said only if Austin plays H.

And Austin said yesterday he plays both slot positions, which we know, so I do think you could see them at the same time, regardless of what the depth chart says. I think a lot of it depends on Harvey's development. If he's a dependable backup H then I don't think we'll see Austin much at H, but if Harvey isn't getting it done we would see Austin over there when Calvin rotates out.

I agree about Calvin, he's going to be legit and I'm not surprised he won the H job at all.

Maverick91
09-01-2021, 11:34 AM
Yes, the poster I was responding to said we start two Y's and they would be playing together so I said only if Austin plays H.

And Austin said yesterday he plays both slot positions, which we know, so I do think you could see them at the same time, regardless of what the depth chart says. I think a lot of it depends on Harvey's development. If he's a dependable backup H then I don't think we'll see Austin much at H, but if Harvey isn't getting it done we would see Austin over there when Calvin rotates out.

I agree about Calvin, he's going to be legit and I'm not surprised he won the H job at all.

Leach's press conference yesterday, he implied that Austin is ahead of Wally. Take that for what you want, but, that is what the man said. I don't understand, all I can think is that Austin either has better work ethic or Wally is not completely healed.

Hot Rock
09-01-2021, 11:35 AM
So are you saying that Walley has not recovered from his injury? Or that he has a bad attitude/work ethic problem? Because that's the only way that Austin is ahead of him at this point.

I am hoping that the "OR" is just essentially coach speak and we have upgraded our talent enough that we can afford to have Austin just take snaps when Walley needs a breather. Because if we really want Austin taking half the snaps, I can't imagine we'd put him at the same position as Walley instead of Jamire Calvin and Rufus Harvey.

I am not saying anything. I am repeating what Leach said in the press conference. Leach said and I think it's verbatim as close as I remember, "Austin is ahead of Walley right now, but it may be different by Saturday." You can speculate why all you want but Jamire has the one side on the depth chart and Austin the other one as of yesterday. Come Saturday, Leach very much said it may be different by then, thus the "or" designation. I have no idea why, Injury? Routes? Blocking? Consistent? or what. All I know is Austin must be doing some stuff well to make this thing close because Walley is dang good and we all know that.

FISHDAWG
09-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Leach's press conference yesterday, he implied that Austin is ahead of Wally. Take that for what you want, but, that is what the man said. I don't understand, all I can think is that Austin either has better work ethic or Wally is not completely healed.

Lets not forget that Austin is a pretty good player ... can't remember the last time he dropped a pass and I'm sure he has but not very many. I think this speaks well for that position because they both are good talents

Todd4State
09-01-2021, 01:07 PM
Lets not forget that Austin is a pretty good player ... can't remember the last time he dropped a pass and I'm sure he has but not very many. I think this speaks well for that position because they both are good talents

This. Leach isn't going to use Moorhead style depth chart management. Both are going to play a lot.

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2021, 01:26 PM
This. Leach isn't going to use Moorhead style depth chart management. Both are going to play a lot.

Yep. In 2019, 8 WSU WR's had more than 20 catches. Last year, MSU only had 4 WR's with more than 20 catches - and only 3 of those are back (Walley, Williams & Heath). There will be plenty of reps to go around.

Johnson85
09-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Austin is a good role player, but he averaged 33 yards per game as a RS Jr. Walley basically doubled that as a true freshman.

If Walley really hasn't separated himself at this point, it's because of injury or a work ethic/attitude problem.

There should be plenty of snaps to go around, and I know Leach likes to get a lot of guys involved, but I can't imagine we have upgraded our talent to the point that we could have Walley only playing half the snaps and it not be a bad sign.

Maverick91
09-01-2021, 02:11 PM

Wont argue that, it has to be work ethic because upside wise Wally has him by a mile a believe.

Hot Rock
09-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Wont argue that, it has to be work ethic because upside wise Wally has him by a mile a believe.

I don't agree with that take. Walley is a true sophomore and Austin is a Jr that has been here since 2017. Walley may not be able to do a few things as well as Austin but that may not mean it's work ethic.

Jarius
09-01-2021, 02:32 PM
If you gave me 4 Justin Walley's to put out there at receiver and I gave you 4 Austin Williams to put out there at receiver for the opposing offense I would kick the shit out of you 100 out of 100 times. Walley is ten times better. I don't know why Walley is behind Williams but it sure isn't because he's not the better player. It has to be something else.

Commercecomet24
09-01-2021, 02:45 PM

I can assure it's not work ethic with Walley. The kid is an extremely hard worker. Walley had the injury in the spring game and they may be bringing him back slowly, but it's not from lack of effort on his part.

Maverick91
09-01-2021, 02:55 PM
I don't agree with that take. Walley is a true sophomore and Austin is a Jr that has been here since 2017. Walley may not be able to do a few things as well as Austin but that may not mean it's work ethic.

Alright! Does he have lagging issues with his injury?

Maverick91
09-01-2021, 02:58 PM
I can assure it's not work ethic with Walley. The kid is an extremely hard worker. Walley had the injury in the spring game and they may be bringing him back slowly, but it's not from lack of effort on his part.

Even when I was writing that because it doesn't make sense. You look at the dude and a lazy work ethic does not usually follow someone who carries himself like he does.

It has to be the injury, not blocking as well (Mullen put a lot of infuses on that), knowing the routes. whatever! It could be a mixture of things, but it is not because Williams is just flat better Walley has him by a mile in talent.

thf24
09-01-2021, 03:10 PM
Are we sure this all isn't just the senior Williams getting a nod of respect as the starter when everyone knows both he and Walley are going to play a ton?

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Are we sure this all isn't just the senior Williams getting a nod of respect as the starter when everyone knows both he and Walley are going to play a ton?

Will Rogers interview on Out Of Leftfield - he mentioned how much of a leader Austin is - I can easily see this as a leadership related "Starter" designation.
Regardless - both guys are going to see a metric shit ton of balls thrown their way. People are over analyzing this.

Johnson85
09-02-2021, 09:40 AM

Yea, I would have been surprised if that was the case based on the fact that he was able to come in as a true freshman with a shortened off season and learn routes well enough to be our best receiver.

But still a little concerned to hear Leach say Williams is a little ahead. I'm sure Williams could be a little ahead on everything within his control (learning routes, running routes, blocking, catching, work ethic, etc) with Wally still doing all he's supposed to do. But obviously if Walley is healthy and putting in even just average work, there is nothing Williams can do to be ahead of him as far as actual production on the field. Maybe it was just coach speak but I didn't know if Leach did that.

TrapGame
09-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Will Rogers interview on Out Of Leftfield - he mentioned how much of a leader Austin is - I can easily see this as a leadership related "Starter" designation.
Regardless - both guys are going to see a metric shit ton of balls thrown their way. People are over analyzing this.

Jake Wim was talking the other day about how respected Austin is on the team. He will probably be one of the team captains.

CaptainObvious
09-02-2021, 10:08 AM
I chuckled out loud after reading all the post about Williams and Walley and the OR between the two names.

Not many worried about the OR between Rogers and Lovertich.😎