PDA

View Full Version : Tropical head's up - Hurricane IDA

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2021, 03:40 PM
Looks like the Gulf may come alive early next week. There's currently a disturbance in the Caribbean that is forecast to become a closed low and gain tropical characteristics as it moves into the Gulf. Current forecast track and strengths are all over the place this far out but anywhere from New Orleans to Brownsville need to be keeping tabs on this as the potential...key word potential...is there for this to become a hurricane and possibly a major hurricane. The Gulf is currently a sauna with temps 85-90 degrees. We are now approaching the peak of the tropical Atlantic season so things getting active is to be expected.

Bodawg
08-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Model run from Tropical Tidbits also show the system slowing down after landfall in Louisiana. If that pans out, there's going to be heavy amounts of rainfall in the state of Mississippi. But as you've stated, still a long way out.

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2021, 04:15 PM
Model run from Tropical Tidbits also show the system slowing down after landfall in Louisiana. If that pans out, there's going to be heavy amounts of rainfall in the state of Mississippi. But as you've stated, still a long way out.

I saw that. Last thing we need is another Harvey style tropical system that stalls out.

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2021, 09:20 PM
Latest batch of spaghetti models are starting to trend towards a more northern track of a potentially major hurricane. Still a lot of uncertainty on where it will end up and that will remain until it forms a closed low. That said, that looks to be starting to happen and signs may be pointing to what will be Ida taking a tour of the French Quarter.

99jc
08-25-2021, 09:59 PM
Latest batch of spaghetti models are starting to trend towards a more northern track of a potentially major hurricane. Still a lot of uncertainty on where it will end up and that will remain until it forms a closed low. That said, that looks to be starting to happen and signs may be pointing to what will be Ida taking a tour of the French Quarter.

go away every time you post weather i get deployed. :p

parabrave
08-25-2021, 11:08 PM
Well Shit they keep shifting this thing East. Need it to ho back towards Lake Charles

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 02:17 AM
Here's the latest.

http://hurricanes.ral.ucar.edu/realtime/plots/northatlantic/2021/al992021//track_early/aal99_2021082600_track_early.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#99L

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/99L_intensity_latest.png

terradawg
08-26-2021, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up Stark

CaptainObvious
08-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Hey Stark, how of you feeling from your bout with the Kung Flu?

FriarsPoint
08-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Oh, its hitting south Alabama, 100%. We can?t miss one. Already got a little crop damage from the last one. Long string of cuss words

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Hey Stark, how of you feeling from your bout with the Kung Flu?

Doing pretty good. Still can't smell and get winded easily but all in all can't complain. Only thing that is under my skin now is I'm still under quarantine so if this storm ends up impacting the coast I won't be able to chase.

parabrave
08-26-2021, 10:14 AM
TD9 as of 10am. Projected to go in around from SW pass to Grand Island as a strong Cat 1.

PMDawg
08-26-2021, 11:02 AM
strong Cat 1.

I'm no weather expert, but I've been tracking hurricanes since around 2004. I know enough to know that this thing will, at some point, be stronger than CAT I. The only way that doesn't happen is if it gets torn to shreds crossing the mountains west of Havana and then moves fast enough that it doesn't have time to develop. The water temperatures are high, there's no shear, and it should spend a large amount of time over the eddy current loop currently in the GOM. All of the ingredients for rapid intensification are there. We'll have to get extremely lucky to thread the needle that doesn't lead to RI.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 11:41 AM
I'm no weather expert, but I've been tracking hurricanes since around 2004. I know enough to know that this thing will, at some point, be stronger than CAT I. The only way that doesn't happen is if it gets torn to shreds crossing the mountains west of Havana and then moves fast enough that it doesn't have time to develop. The water temperatures are high, there's no shear, and it should spend a large amount of time over the eddy current loop currently in the GOM. All of the ingredients for rapid intensification are there. We'll have to get extremely lucky to thread the needle that doesn't lead to RI.

I hate to agree with this, but I agree with this. The forecast models have had a hard time with the last few gulf storms with intensity. If I were to venture a guess right now I'm saying it ends up a mid range 3 at landfall.

Dolphus Raymond
08-26-2021, 12:47 PM
This is beginning to look ugly.

ArrowDawg
08-26-2021, 01:52 PM

Early intensity models are almost always total garbage, especially for storms crossing the central gulf. I'd fully expect a major hurricane. By the way, just saw an early model suggesting another storm following this one about a week later and also hitting Louisiana.

Indndawg
08-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Arrow....been a long, long time

DownwardDawg
08-26-2021, 02:45 PM
Arrow....been a long, long time

Too long

DownwardDawg
08-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Time line on this thing??!

parabrave
08-26-2021, 03:26 PM
Time line on this thing??!

LA coast around Sun - Monday morn

ScoobaDawg
08-26-2021, 04:36 PM
IDA is now a TS
Keep a heads up MS.. keeps shifting East.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1431003816808239106

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9vzneVXMAsYj-K?format=png&name=900x900

PMDawg
08-26-2021, 04:41 PM
The bend is what we really need to watch. If it really tracks NW as far inland as they are now showing, the MS coast may be spared, for the most part. But man, that's a long way inland. I just don't trust it. If it takes that turn to the N, and then NE, a little sooner, Hancock, Forrest, and Pearl River counties could take a hard hit.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 05:00 PM
Forecast for starkville now includes tropical storm conditions possible for Sunday night and Monday.

ScoobaDawg
08-26-2021, 05:02 PM
The bend is what we really need to watch. If it really tracks NW as far inland as they are now showing, the MS coast may be spared, for the most part. But man, that's a long way inland. I just don't trust it. If it takes that turn to the N, and then NE, a little sooner, Hancock, Forrest, and Pearl River counties could take a hard hit.

Will know a lot more after it crosses Cuba around Friday night around midnight... Intensity and where it is in relation to this point.

99jc
08-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Will know a lot more after it crosses Cuba around Friday night around midnight... Intensity and where it is in relation to this point.

I just got notification of potential deployment to Louisiana within the next 48 hours. FEMA now preparing for cat 3 -4 potential for higher.

ScoobaDawg
08-26-2021, 06:12 PM
I just got notification of potential deployment to Louisiana within the next 48 hours. FEMA now preparing for cat 3 -4 potential for higher.

I feel that's a good call. If it stays on the predicted track its gonna go right over the hottest part of the gulf, where a loop current is. this will likely cause the storm to jump in speed very fast.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9uvdwkWEAY4u-U?format=jpg&name=large

Bodawg
08-26-2021, 06:25 PM
In 2005 Katrina crossed Florida and drifted westward into the loop. It emerged as a monster. This has the potential to get ugly.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 06:54 PM
A noted met posted on twitter the analog for Ida is another storm you may have heard of...Camille.

99jc
08-26-2021, 07:08 PM
i was 8 when Camille came aboard .....this would be worst case scenario. If i remember correctly Camille still had 100 mph winds by the time it reached New York.

starkvegasdawg
08-26-2021, 07:13 PM
i was 8 when Camille came aboard .....this would be worst case scenario. If i remember correctly Camille still had 100 mph winds by the time it reached New York.

Now let me say I don't think anyone is expecting a Camille level storm. But it is showing the potential of rapid intensification.

CaptainObvious
08-26-2021, 08:47 PM
There could be major issues if this thing causes significant injuries in an area where there are no hospital beds available.

parabrave
08-27-2021, 12:56 AM

I was 8 living less than 1/2 mile off the beach in Mississippi City when Camille hit. To this day i can still hear the wind, 6 hours of a train. Me and my Brothers and sisters drank well and pond water for a week/ Katrina i spent the day in a house with water up to my stomach/

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Ida now officially forecast to be a major hurricane at landfall. Also of concern for MS is the forecast track as it brings it in to around Vicksburg and then turns it NE towards Tupelo. That will have much of the state in the eastern quadrant of the storm and susceptible to the strongest winds and tornado threat. Widespread power outages will be likely for the state if this holds. Better to be safe than sorry and stock up on water and non perishable food items in case you end up without power for a few days. Obviously, the further south you live the longer that could be.

FriarsPoint
08-27-2021, 06:59 AM
Ida now officially forecast to be a major hurricane at landfall. Also of concern for MS is the forecast track as it brings it in to around Vicksburg and then turns it NE towards Tupelo. That will have much of the state in the eastern quadrant of the storm and susceptible to the strongest winds and tornado threat. Widespread power outages will be likely for the state if this holds. Better to be safe than sorry and stock up on water and non perishable food items in case you end up without power for a few days. Obviously, the further south you live the longer that could be.

Sigh, corn harvest just started. This is going to hurt an already reeling south delta, north delta too.

Farming, don?t ya love it. Expletive.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2021, 07:18 AM
Sigh, corn harvest just started. This is going to hurt an already reeling south delta, north delta too.

My dad worked many years at First South Farm Credit and he always kept me up to date on whether the farmers were having a good year or not. He was well aware of the perils and uncertainties of farming.

parabrave
08-27-2021, 09:24 AM

On the East Coast of Miss, Harrison and Jackson Cties, The are predicting less than Trop Stom winds and 7ft Tides. It's predicted to go into Morgan City then BTR the up the River

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2021, 10:13 AM
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL092021_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/100510_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Latest forecast track.

TimberBeast
08-27-2021, 10:47 AM
On the East Coast of Miss, Harrison and Jackson Cties, The are predicting less than Trop Stom winds and 7ft Tides. It's predicted to go into Morgan City then BTR the up the River

Any idea what the tides got up to in Jackson County for Zeta?

parabrave
08-27-2021, 11:50 AM
Any idea what the tides got up to in Jackson County for Zeta?

I know the surge was higher than expected in Gulfport. About 10 Ft.

starkvegasdawg
08-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Ida is now a hurricane.

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2021, 12:25 PM
Confirmed hurricane. Pressure down to 987

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1431304747085037569

Bodawg
08-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Oh Hades! Jim Cantore is in Gulfport.

KOdawg1
08-27-2021, 02:42 PM
Gotta love a hurricane during a pandemic

Bothrops
08-27-2021, 03:22 PM
Not liking the looks of this.

DownwardDawg
08-27-2021, 04:30 PM
I strangely love hurricanes.

RocketDawg
08-27-2021, 04:57 PM
Forecast to be a Cat 4 now.

parabrave
08-27-2021, 04:57 PM
Oh Hades! Jim Cantore is in Gulfport.
Jim always stops in Gulfport on his way to all storms. After Katrina, where he got scared shitless when the AFRH flooded, he said he would always come back to Gulfport and do a segment there.

State82
08-27-2021, 06:47 PM

Weird is it not? Me too. Always fascinated by them.

Skydawg1
08-27-2021, 07:09 PM
I strangely love hurricanes.Same here. Don't love week-long power outages but those are rare.

lastmajordog
08-27-2021, 07:13 PM
The “land Mass between New Orleans and Mobile”....

FriarsPoint
08-27-2021, 07:47 PM
This is beginning to worry the hell out of me. I?ve heard forecasts of winds still being close to 100mph when it hits Greenwood.

We?ll lose everything. Corn, cotton, beans.

basedog
08-27-2021, 07:47 PM

I've been working storms for 22 years. I've seen way too much destruction to love any hurricane, ice storm and tornado's to love them. Just saying!

I'm stormed just bout out!

Cowbell
08-27-2021, 08:44 PM
This is beginning to worry the hell out of me. I?ve heard forecasts of winds still being close to 100mph when it hits Greenwood.

You farm full-time? Hope you have it all insured.

FriarsPoint
08-27-2021, 08:46 PM
You farm full-time? Hope you have it all insured.

Can?t get a loan without it.

Noxdog
08-27-2021, 09:48 PM

But if Greenwood is getting 100 mph winds, then this state will be desolated worse in a way that Katrina or Camille could not do..

I highly doubt that, but I don't know crap.

State82
08-28-2021, 08:18 AM
But if Greenwood is getting 100 mph winds, then this state will be desolated worse in a way that Katrina or Camille could not do..

I highly doubt that, but I don't know crap.
Yeah it will only be a tropical depression when it gets to the Delta. Lot of rain though.

msstate7
08-28-2021, 08:21 AM

I'm fascinated by them, but don't love them. I couldn't imagine living in an area that I have to leave... unsure if I'll have a house when I get back.

Dawgbite
08-28-2021, 08:36 AM
Could you imagine riding in one of the hurricane hunter aircraft? That would have to be one heck of a ride.

ScoobaDawg
08-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Could you imagine riding in one of the hurricane hunter aircraft? That would have to be one heck of a ride.

I would love to... Would be amazing to truly see a beast from the air.

Hambone
08-28-2021, 09:01 AM
I can’t remember what year it was but we planned a trip to Ft Morgan around the time a storm was set to come through towards the end of our stay. Once it hit the gulf it was no longer a hurricane so we decided to ride it out. Those were some of the wildest days I’ve ever spent in a condo. It was truly awe inspiring.

Yea, maybe was kind of dumb looking back.

Churchill
08-28-2021, 10:05 AM
Based on the current projections (which we all know can/will change) can anyone guess what the conditions in the Jackson metro will be like compared to Katrina. I'm not comparing the two storms but just searching for a reference point to relate what we're facing Monday . Sustained wind, wind gusts , duration and such.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Based on the current projections (which we all know can/will change) can anyone guess what the conditions in the Jackson metro will be like compared to Katrina. I'm not comparing the two storms but just searching for a reference point to relate what we're facing Monday . Sustained wind, wind gusts , duration and such.

Shouldn't be as bad as Katrina. Center passed a lot closer to Jackson with Katrina than will with Ida.

Churchill
08-28-2021, 11:01 AM
Thank you.

Dolphus Raymond
08-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Based on the track I just saw, Natchez is going to be in for a rough day.

parabrave
08-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Based on the track I just saw, Natchez is going to be in for a rough day.

They're gonna have it worse than us on the Coast

parabrave
08-28-2021, 04:33 PM
Check out the Bouy Cam on 42003. Kinda of rough. Bouys can be found at NDBC. Nat Data Bout Center. Go to Atlantic Hurricane Ida.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/images/buoycam/W87A_2021_08_28_2010.jpg

PMDawg
08-28-2021, 04:37 PM
So far, it's moving fast enough that it can't really tap into the hot waters of the GOM to its maximum potential. So the strengthening has been a little less than it could have been. On the flip side, that fast forward motion is going to lead to higher storm surges.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2021, 05:19 PM
So far, it's moving fast enough that it can't really tap into the hot waters of the GOM to its maximum potential. So the strengthening has been a little less than it could have been. On the flip side, that fast forward motion is going to lead to higher storm surges.

And stronger winds inland.

Noxdog
08-28-2021, 05:29 PM
And stronger winds inland.

When and what will the GTR be dealing with?

Right now, i'm leaning toward a lotta rain, some wind and threat of tornadoes.

In other words, APRIL.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2021, 06:16 PM
When and what will the GTR be dealing with?

Right now, i'm leaning toward a lotta rain, some wind and threat of tornadoes.

In other words, APRIL.

It appears Ida isn't strengthening as rapidly as anticipated. Hopefully the next update doesn't prove me wrong. Assuming a landfall of 115-125 then by the time it starts affecting the GTR I would be expecting sustained winds in the 25-30mph range with gusts 40-50. Rain of 5-10 inches seems to be par for the course and we will be in the tornado threat region of the storm. How bad that will be is still TBD. Going to depend on how much buoyancy and tropical air works this far north.

One thing that may put a huge wrench in this is the track. There's been some evidence this afternoon the track is jogging a little further east than forecast. Have to see if that's a trend or just a temporary wobble in the track. If it's a trend and landfall is closer to Nola then the center will track closer to the GTR region and the sustained winds may need to be bumped up.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2021, 11:09 PM
Latest track has now shifted east and it spells bad news for Nola. City could see a lot of water again. Especially with some of the pumps out. And while the pressure has continued to fall, the winds have remained at 105mph. I expect the winds to eventually catch up to the pressure falls and for it to reach major hurricane status. But I do think all the talk of it possibly making a run at category 5 can now be put to bed. It may still have an outside shot at 4, but I'm guessing it'll end up a midrange to high end 3 unless it really bombs out tonight and tomorrow.

As for here, this track shift should all but guarantee the NW part of the state (north and west of a Cleveland to Holly Springs line) stays on the left side of the center which will minimize impacts for that area. The tornado threat will be basically zero. Still will have to deal with high winds and heavy rain, but not quite as much as just to the east of the center. But if you're east of a Vicksburg to Greenwood to Tupelo line then you'll get the worst of the storm. Areas right along the center will see the strongest sustained winds and heavy rain with the outer bands seeing the higher tornado threat with lower sustained winds with occasional higher gusts. Now we may all wake up tomorrow and the storm has exploded in strength and the track changed which will make all the above a complete load of BS.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2021, 11:11 PM
Here's the graphic from the NWS. If you're in the Orange or red shaded area expect scattered to numerous power outages. The yellow shaded area will be isolated to scattered. I wouldn't be surprised to see the orange shaded area extended north and east up to 82 if the current track shift holds.

https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small1.png?d0cc8a52c4093c033bcb47c0c2fcf051

Noxdog
08-29-2021, 12:22 AM
Here's the graphic from the NWS. If you're in the Orange or red shaded area expect scattered to numerous power outages. The yellow shaded area will be isolated to scattered. I wouldn't be surprised to see the orange shaded area extended north and east up to 82 if the current track shift holds.

https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small1.png?d0cc8a52c4093c033bcb47c0c2fcf051

Keep our heads on a swivel.

Dawg_Lover
08-29-2021, 01:34 AM
Thanks StarkVegasDawg for keeping us so well informed. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

ScoobaDawg
08-29-2021, 01:41 AM
Pressure dropped over 10mb in past hour. Down to 943 and over 130 mph
Winds in the ne quadrant have jumped 15kts in 90 minutes

Will be a category 4 when I wake up almost certain.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 01:43 AM
Checking the Bouys and wx station, Pilot station at SW pass, which will probably get the worst, winds are at 40. At apache main Pass widds are gusting to 58. The eye is now visible on New Orleans radar staying on the NWS tract. AF Hurricane Hunter has wind of 120 in the NE Eyewall. Thats at 3000FT flight level.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/recon_AF303-1209A-IDA.png

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 01:48 AM
Looks like it jumped back west a hair last I saw. I was just outside looking at the bayou and nothing crazy yet. I put down a bunch of sandbags tonight. This thing looks like a beast, have a good friend hunkering down in NO. Pretty scary.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 01:54 AM
Winds at 130 now.

ScoobaDawg
08-29-2021, 01:56 AM
Official cat 4 - 130mph 949mb
https://twitter.com/GriffinHardyWX/status/1431872676667269122

parabrave
08-29-2021, 02:18 AM
If anyone want good coverage go to WWLTV. Best News coverage in the south/

parabrave
08-29-2021, 02:20 AM
Looks like it jumped back west a hair last I saw. I was just outside looking at the bayou and nothing crazy yet. I put down a bunch of sandbags tonight. This thing looks like a beast, have a good friend hunkering down in NO. Pretty scary.

Yes it did

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 02:27 AM
Official cat 4 - 130mph 949mb
https://twitter.com/GriffinHardyWX/status/1431872676667269122

Ok, so everything in my last post can officially be tossed out the window.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 02:43 AM
Ok, so everything in my last post can officially be tossed out the window.

And its going to be an all dayer for New Orleans and the River Parishes.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 02:46 AM
Port Fouchren and Grand Isle might be gone in a few hours. Surge expected to be 15 Ft

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 02:51 AM
Watching a radar loop on RadarScope and it may be lining up Nola for a direct hit. This is worst case scenario unfolding. I'm hoping just my small loop I have to watch is just a track wobble. Even if it doesn't strengthen another mph it will decimate Nola with a direct hit.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 02:58 AM
New Orleans going to be in 100+ winds most of tomorrow. So is Baton Rouge

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 03:00 AM
Yeah it?s about to get bad

parabrave
08-29-2021, 03:01 AM
Yeah it?s about to get bad

Aren't you in Ocean Springs?

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 03:03 AM
Aren't you in Ocean Springs?

Yes,

parabrave
08-29-2021, 03:14 AM
Yes,

IM on Big Lake by JD. They are predicting 7 Ft surge here. I'm watching WWL and they are showing the water near the top of the seashore in Lakeview in NO.

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 03:20 AM
IM on Big Lake by JD. They are predicting 7 Ft surge here.

I know about where that is. We?re on a small bayou off of Spanish trail. Zeta brought the water up about an inch from coming into our house. We?ve been sand bagging all afternoon

parabrave
08-29-2021, 03:30 AM
We are gonna get about 6-7 inches of rain fir the duration but that depends on who get a squall.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 04:11 AM
145 gusting to 165 at 4 am.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 05:53 AM
I hate to say it but Ida is making a run for cat 5. Pressure is continuing to drop. Recon just measured 936mb in the eye and the eye has continued to decrease in size. It was 25 miles in diameter and is now under 20 miles. Looks to make landfall between Grand Isle and Nola.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 06:11 AM
Winds now 150mph.

PCHSDawg
08-29-2021, 07:18 AM
Gotta work tonight in Hattiesburg, best guess on what we're going to see?

Dolphus Raymond
08-29-2021, 07:59 AM
This, my friends, is going to be one to remember. Time to reach down and grab a handful!

parabrave
08-29-2021, 08:22 AM
Just had a squall go through the Coast. 1/2 inch of rain with 46MPH gust. Thank God that thing isn't going to hit here. The silver slipper has water in their parking lot.

DownwardDawg
08-29-2021, 08:22 AM
Directtv weather channel.....I had to change my home zip code. That constant loud beeping is annoying and you can't clear it!!
Man, this thing blew up last night!!

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 08:32 AM
Latest recon data suggesting Ida is now a 5 with winds to 160. Have to see if they make that call officially.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Gotta work tonight in Hattiesburg, best guess on what we're going to see?

You'll see sustained tropical force winds and possibly gusts to hurricane strength. Isolated tornadoes also possible.

Dawgfan77
08-29-2021, 09:00 AM
Forecast for the Jackson metro area. Specifically Brandon area

DownwardDawg
08-29-2021, 09:03 AM
Latest recon data suggesting Ida is now a 5 with winds to 160. Have to see if they make that call officially.

Wow!!

OLJWales
08-29-2021, 09:10 AM
Looks like the Gulf may come alive early next week. There's currently a disturbance in the Caribbean that is forecast to become a closed low and gain tropical characteristics as it moves into the Gulf. Current forecast track and strengths are all over the place this far out but anywhere from New Orleans to Brownsville need to be keeping tabs on this as the potential...key word potential...is there for this to become a hurricane and possibly a major hurricane. The Gulf is currently a sauna with temps 85-90 degrees. We are now approaching the peak of the tropical Atlantic season so things getting active is to be expected.

Damn Vegas. Well done sir. Much better read than other stuff from those who get paid to write. Condensed perfectly for those who don't want 10 other paragraphs to siphon thru.

DownwardDawg
08-29-2021, 09:14 AM
Damn Vegas. Well done sir. Much better read than other stuff from those who get paid to write. Condensed perfectly for those who don't want 10 other paragraphs to siphon thru.

I get most of my weather info here. When I'm offshore, I have a StormGeo subscription that I look at daily.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 09:26 AM
Forecast for the Jackson metro area. Specifically Brandon area

You'll see a slightly scaled down version of Hattiesburg. Winds will still be tropical storm force sustained but you may struggle to get a gust to hurricane force.

OLJWales
08-29-2021, 09:39 AM

I get most of my weather info here. When I'm offshore, I have a StormGeo subscription that I look at daily.

So true. I love the way ED saves time when I want STATE info or weather. I"m in TX but my 80 yr old Mom still kickin it in Jacktown.

msstatelp1
08-29-2021, 09:57 AM
I get most of my extreme weather info here.
ETA: extreme

Me, too. When SVD speaks I listen. Thanks go to him and the other weather nerds on here. Y'all have my utmost respect.

ScoobaDawg
08-29-2021, 10:03 AM
Looks like it's done strengthening. 150mph 930. Now up to 933.
Should make landfall in next couple of hours

parabrave
08-29-2021, 10:38 AM
Hey StarkVegasDog check your Phone. Sent you some Pics. I gonna try to get down to HWY90 and get you some

parabrave
08-29-2021, 10:42 AM
Hey Timber looks like Low Tide is starting at my place. How is it at yours'?

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Hey StarkVegasDog check your Phone. Sent you some Pics. I gonna try to get down to HWY90 and get you some

Got them. I'll get them posted here shortly.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 10:58 AM
3271 3272

Got them. I'll get them posted here shortly.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 11:01 AM
3271 3272

Pic 1 is Big Lake looking toward Industrial canal, Pic 2 is Gulfport Yacht Club

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 11:25 AM
Hey Timber looks like Low Tide is starting at my place. How is it at yours'?

We definitely have water coming up from the bayou but not too bad yet, I?m sure it?s going to get a good bit higher over the next several hours.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 04:43 PM
Tropical storm warnings have now been extended north to the 82 corridor. I had a feeling that was coming. Also hearing reports of gas stations as far north as new Albany running out of gas. Guess I need to go top off the old Ram with diesel. Going to be hard to chase the storm bands up here with no dead dinosaurs in the tank.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 05:02 PM
Storming good here in Biloxi Winds around 30 gusting to 50.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 05:33 PM
Utility trucks staging in Starkville. They got some long hard hours ahead of them.

VandelayIndustries
08-29-2021, 05:57 PM
Down in Baton Rouge, should get real here in a few hours

parabrave
08-29-2021, 06:32 PM
Down in Baton Rouge, should get real here in a few hours

Well they might dodge the Nuclear bomb. Th storm might go east of them now, seems to be heading north up 55.

Noxdog
08-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Utility trucks staging in Starkville. They got some long hard hours ahead of them.

To head south?

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2021, 07:25 PM
To head south?

Yep.

redstickdawg
08-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Well they might dodge the Nuclear bomb. Th storm might go east of them now, seems to be heading north up 55.

Still pretty sporty here, not like being on the coast but still very windy. We are on the westward side of BR and the wind has hit at least 50 mph and we lost power just before 5 pm today. Generator running okay, will connect the portable AC tomorrow, too much wind to fool with it right now.

VandelayIndustries
08-29-2021, 08:08 PM
Where ya at Red Stick? Holding strong with power here but flickering

parabrave
08-29-2021, 09:58 PM
Where ya at Red Stick? Holding strong with power here but flickering

Alot of family members w/o power in BR. NO is screwed royally concerning power in the near future.

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 10:44 PM
Alot of family members w/o power in BR. NO is screwed royally concerning power in the near future.

Hancock county area seems to have some bad problems.

parabrave
08-29-2021, 11:38 PM
Hancock county area seems to have some bad problems.

Yep. But dam it's going to be a long night and day for us on the coast. Saying 12 more inches of rain and continuous 30 MPH winds for most of Tom. Hopefully the surge isnt that bad. But then again we could be in New Orleans.

TimberBeast
08-29-2021, 11:46 PM
Yep. But dam it's going to be a long night and day for us on the coast. Saying 12 more inches of rain and continuous 30 MPH winds for most of Tom. Hopefully the surge isnt that bad. But then again we could be in New Orleans.

Definitely glad we?re not over there, hope for the best over that way. Last I looked outside the water is up but not too bad yet. I think high tide is around 2:30 am. I think it?s going to get a lot worse with the rain over the next few hours.

parabrave
08-30-2021, 08:56 AM
Definitely glad we?re not over there, hope for the best over that way. Last I looked outside the water is up but not too bad yet. I think high tide is around 2:30 am. I think it?s going to get a lot worse with the rain over the next few hours.

Surge didnt get as high as they expected here. But over the rain. Dam roof finally sprung a leak.

PGHBulldogBG
08-30-2021, 09:41 AM
You all be safe. Looks like the flooding rain is heading all the way up my way in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. Already have flood watches and wind advisories.

redstickdawg
08-30-2021, 06:19 PM

I live in Riverbend south of LSU, lost cell signal shortly after I posted. Power ad cell service came on this afternoon late. BR really dodged a bullet. NOLA is talking about 21 days before power is restored, wow.