PDA

View Full Version : Some of y'all need some Xanax

QuadrupleOption
08-24-2021, 03:42 PM
I was going to post this in TrapGame's thread about Matt Wyatt's thoughts on scrimmage two, but decided I'd rather piss people off by putting this on the front page.

We have some 'fans' on this board that seem to want to trash our program at every opportunity.

All they want to talk about is how bad our Offense was last season. And don't get me wrong it WAS pretty bad. But let's review, shall we?

1) All-Everything Senior transfer QB that didn't work out. Again.
2) WR corps trying to learn a completely new offensive route concepts on the fly.
3) An All-Everything-Sure-Shot-NFL RB who QUIT ON HIS TEAM less than halfway through the season.
4) 13 Transfers and 4 COVID Opt-outs killing our depth.
5) Playing two games (Ole Miss and Georgia) with 50 players because of COVID instead of pussing out like some schools I could name.

With all that, we still improved as the year went on and beat a Mizzou team on a hot streak and knocked off a Top-25 team in our bowl game.

I don't expect a national title or Hell, even an SEC title this season. But if you can't see all the crap that went on last year and have some optimism around this team I don't know how you keep yourself from sucking off the nearest shotgun every day.

Lighten the F up.

ScoobaDawg
08-24-2021, 03:47 PM
I like it...

https://www.loveyourclothes.org.uk/sites/default/files/sheep.jpg

TrapGame
08-24-2021, 03:49 PM
I was going to post this in TrapGame's thread about Matt Wyatt's thoughts on scrimmage two, but decided I'd rather piss people off by putting this on the front page.

We have some 'fans' on this board that seem to want to trash our program at every opportunity.

All they want to talk about is how bad our Offense was last season. And don't get me wrong it WAS pretty bad. But let's review, shall we?

2) WR corps trying to learn a completely new offensive route concepts on the fly.
3) An All-Everything-Sure-Shot-NFL RB who QUIT ON HIS TEAM less than halfway through the season.
5) Playing two games (Ole Miss and Georgia) with 50 players because of COVID instead of pussing out like some schools I could name.

With all that, we still improved as the year went on and beat a Mizzou team on a hot streak and knocked off a Top-25 team in our bowl game.

I don't expect a national title or Hell, even an SEC title this season. But if you can't see all the crap that went on last year and have some optimism around this team I don't know how you keep yourself from sucking off the nearest shotgun every day.

Lighten the F up.

Spot on. Have some rep.

msstate7
08-24-2021, 03:50 PM
I've never found any forum interesting where everyone wants 100% fluff all the time. An echo chamber of high 5s for mediocrity is a strange wish.

Hot Rock
08-24-2021, 03:55 PM
I've never found any forum interesting where everyone wants 100% fluff all the time. An echo chamber of high 5s for mediocrity is a strange wish.

You want it to be better? Pony up about half a million a year in NIL monies and get us some better players. That's our competition and then some. The Bama QB is already a millionaire.

You could just sponsor just the O Line and get us some guys. $250,000 a year might do that. Go for it, NIL is legal now.

TrapGame
08-24-2021, 04:00 PM

7, we haven't snapped a ball in a "real" game yet and some folks around here are already calling 4 or 5 wins as our max.

That's ridiculous.

msstate7
08-24-2021, 04:00 PM
You want it to be better? Pony up about half a million a year in NIL monies and get us some better players. That's our competition and then some. The Bama QB is already a millionaire.

You could just sponsor just the O Line and get us some guys. $250,000 a year might do that. Go for it, NIL is legal now.

Great idea. Unless you personally compensate a player, never complain. Should make the board great.

msstate7
08-24-2021, 04:01 PM
7, we haven't snapped a ball in a "real" game yet and some folks around here are already calling 4 or 5 wins as our max.

That's ridiculous.

Yeah, I think 4-5 wins as a ceiling is ridiculous. They should be called out for being dumb just like the ones that call out dumb expectations the other way

msstate7
08-24-2021, 04:04 PM
For the record, my goal is look much better vs the drop 8 this year. If we meet this goal, we'll get some wins. I wanna see some major improvements offensively to give us a shot at 8-9 wins next year

TrapGame
08-24-2021, 04:09 PM
For the record, my goal is look much better vs the drop 8 this year. If we meet this goal, we'll get some wins. I wanna see some major improvements offensively to give us a shot at 8-9 wins next year

Guess what we are working on this week?

Maverick91
08-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Lighten the F up.

lolololololol Preach!

BeardoMSU
08-24-2021, 04:19 PM

Lighten the F up.

Thank you for some fu<king perspective. Much needed around here...

https://c.tenor.com/oL8ve-qdiCgAAAAM/slowclap-shottas.gif

BeardoMSU
08-24-2021, 04:22 PM
An echo chamber of high 5s for mediocrity is a strange wish.

I totally agree, btw.

That said, everything in the OP is still important context to where we are.

Cowbell
08-24-2021, 04:24 PM

That's ridiculous.

And some of our posters are already wondering when our 4th string QB is gonna get the job because our true freshman QB last year is only "average"

Schultzy
08-24-2021, 04:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with a little preseason fluff from the insider guys, you just have to know how to read them and there will be plenty to bitch about later even if we have a good season

Dolphus Raymond
08-24-2021, 04:34 PM
I recommend Qualudes. It?s only August.

Turfdawg67
08-24-2021, 04:54 PM

Nor the opposite. In which this site is closer. Some of you just revel in bashing State at every chance with the guise of "just speaking the truth". Of course it's "I'm glad I was wrong, Hail State" when you're wrong. Win either way, I guess. Even the ppl with "inside knowledge" could just refrain sometimes, but no, gotta get the attention. And that's all it is really... look at me, I was RIGHT!

BorneDawg
08-24-2021, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=QuadrupleOption;1355498]I was going to post this in TrapGame's thread about Matt Wyatt's thoughts on scrimmage two, but decided I'd rather piss people off by putting this on the front page.

Oh yeah

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-24-2021, 05:24 PM
I want 6-8 yearly wins while making a run every 5 years or so with a senior laden team.

Bass Chaser
08-24-2021, 05:52 PM
What Leach accomplish win wise was no different than Mullen. Since 2009, we've averaged 3-4 SEC wins per year. 2014 was an outlier.

LC Dawg
08-24-2021, 05:59 PM
I could use a Xanax or ten but it doesn't have anything to do with Mississippi State football.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2021, 07:13 PM

Lighten the F up.

Agree. Great post

R2Dawg
08-24-2021, 09:34 PM

That's ridiculous.

Some are saying we are going to run the table and be best O ever too. It is OK to have an opinion either way. Back to the thread title, take a pill. This is talk6ng season. Someone is gonna be right. I said 6-8 should be expected. Less than 6 is unacceptable.

StateDawg44
08-24-2021, 09:39 PM
Some are saying we are going to run the table and be best O ever too. It is OK to have an opinion either way. Back to the thread title, take a pill. This is talk6ng season. Someone is gonna be right. I said 6-8 should be expected. Less than 6 is unacceptable.

Not one person on a single MSU board any where has said we are going to run the table.

BeardoMSU
08-24-2021, 09:49 PM
Some are saying we are going to run the table and be best O ever too.

I know sarcasm sometimes evades you, but zero people are saying that, lol.

OLJWales
08-25-2021, 05:43 AM
This. Repped

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 08:50 AM

Ain't nobody saying we're running the table. The O will be improved. Saying it's going to be as bad, or worse, as last season is just wishful thinking by the Leach haters.

msstate7
08-25-2021, 08:58 AM
Top oline in state to OM. Now we hoping for 2 of the top 10 recruits in the state. Maybe I could use a Xanax...

Cowbell
08-25-2021, 09:42 AM
Top oline in state to OM. Now we hoping for 2 of the top 10 recruits in the state. Maybe I could use a Xanax...

I agree that this would be a death blow

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 09:46 AM

It's August. Let's see how the season plays out. Come December we'll have time to rend garments and clutch pearls.

BeardoMSU
08-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Gautier...no thanks!***

PMDawg
08-25-2021, 10:06 AM

That's ridiculous.

That's their opinion. They're allowed to have one, and they're allowed to be wrong. That's why it's an opinion. It's ok to think differently. I don't know when our society lost that knowledge.

FISHDAWG
08-25-2021, 10:24 AM
lol ... while I appreciate the thought and agree with a lot of what you say, I will add that nobody here knows how the season will play out yet ... it's early and this team is still young while our coach is very early into his tenure here.
Last year before the season started nobody expected to beat LSU or lose to Arkansas .... or not score a single point against Kentucky, or playing well against Georgia with a Freshman QB. Morale boosting is one thing and trying to keep things real is another.
Either way I appreciate BOTH sides perspective and enjoy the banter back and forth.... it's why this board is here

Hot Rock
08-25-2021, 10:27 AM

The OL is one of the hardest positions to predict how well a HS player translates to college because so much depends on how well they develop and grow.

Very few OL get in the two deep their first year and are usually their 3rd year in before they start. Getting 4-5 every year that have good bodies, good foot work, good work ethic and can think is way more important than getting the top rated player in the State.

Right now State has 21 OL on the roster, 17 scholarships OL, 14 being freshman or sophomores with 3 more committed and I expect one or two more in this cycle. Leach values the OL position more than any other. The days are gone of missing out on one or two OL and then not getting but two OL in the class. That was Mullen's issue, not Leach's. So, yeah, just chill a bit. The OL recruiting is in good hands.

Coach34
08-25-2021, 10:36 AM
Nobody wants fluff all the time. Thats ridiculous. It's the reason Sixpackspeak was started. That wasnt allowed on Jeanspage. You have to have a place to argue and speak freely about what is going on with our sports programs.

Elite was started to get away from the Mississippi Rebel trolls that would turn talking State sports into shitshows. But it was still about allowing difference of opinion and thought. Arguing sports is simply about who ends up being right and who ends up being wrong. Thats the fun in it.

We have the sunshine pumpers around here for sure. Especially right now before kickoff, it happens every season. A few people keep saying 10 wins is our ceiling. They are expecting huge leaps this season. Also expecting a badass top 3 in the SEC defense. 8-10 wins is 100% happening to this group

We have the "wait and see" crowd who have their concerns (of which I am a member) with what is going on. Lots of offensive questions with a team that should have a solid D. We see this year as a 5-7 win type year depending on how many of those questions get answered.

98% of people on this board fall into these 2 categories.

ScoobaDawg
08-25-2021, 10:45 AM
Nobody wants fluff all the time. Thats ridiculous. It's the reason Sixpackspeak was started. That wasnt allowed on Jeanspage. You have to have a place to argue and speak freely about what is going on with our sports programs.

Elite was started to get away from the Mississippi Rebel trolls that would turn talking State sports into shitshows. But it was still about allowing difference of opinion and thought. Arguing sports is simply about who ends up being right and who ends up being wrong. Thats the fun in it.

We have the sunshine pumpers around here for sure. Especially right now before kickoff, it happens every season. A few people keep saying 10 wins is our ceiling. They are expecting huge leaps this season. Also expecting a badass top 3 in the SEC defense. 8-10 wins is 100% happening to this group

We have the "wait and see" crowd who have their concerns (of which I am a member) with what is going on. Lots of offensive questions with a team that should have a solid D. We see this year as a 5-7 win type year depending on how many of those questions get answered.

I finally agree with you on something again...

I'm wait and see based on our offense.

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 11:04 AM
That's their opinion. They're allowed to have one, and they're allowed to be wrong. That's why it's an opinion. It's ok to think differently. I don't know when our society lost that knowledge.

It's more than just an "opinion" on this board. And brother, that thought process doesn't go both ways on here either especially when those more inclined to be positive about the season are routinely ridiculed by others with their "opinions".

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Isn?t this what makes sports and fandom great though? I love that there are optimists, pessimists, and realists. Makes for a good message board.

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 11:09 AM

I don't where you are seeing these folks. Nobody around here is seriously thinking 10 wins.

Hell, I'm a "sunshine pumper" and I only see 7 wins with maybe a shot at 8 if some things fall our way.

Dawgfan77
08-25-2021, 11:26 AM
Want me to really blow your minds??? We have two other OL that we value over Hurst. We have changed the way we evaluate OL from the past. Our needs this cycle are tackles and Hurst is a guard all the way

Hot Rock
08-25-2021, 11:27 AM
What category am I? I think realist.

I see 2 absolute losses at Bama, A&M and 4 wins - 3 OOC and Vandy The rest are toss-ups. That's an awful lot of toss up games with 7-5 my hope.

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Now, as an admitted sunshine pumper I will say if we look like dog shit offensively vs. La Tech I will come unglued. In fact if we can't score 40+ vs La Tech's defense then I'm joining the Doom Patrol.

R2Dawg
08-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Not one person on a single MSU board any where has said we are going to run the table.

Yes there have been. Go back and look at some prediction threads. Yes they are there. Now they may have been being sarcastic but you all miss the point.

Point is everyone has a different perspective from top to bottom. Why do some feel the need to insult others just to make themselves feel better?

Its talkin season, no one is wrong right now.

BrunswickDawg
08-25-2021, 11:53 AM
What category am I? I think realist.

I see 2 absolute losses at Bama, A&M and 4 wins - 3 OOC and Vandy The rest are toss-ups. That's an awful lot of toss up games with 7-5 my hope.

That's consistent with most of the people I've seen that say "10 win ceiling". Myself included. It would take Auburn like luck to get there. And the only season I think we have ever had where all the toss ups and breaks went our way was '99.

KOdawg1
08-25-2021, 12:14 PM

Spot on.

Coach34
08-25-2021, 12:21 PM
I don't where you are seeing these folks. Nobody around here is seriously thinking 10 wins.

Hell, I'm a "sunshine pumper" and I only see 7 wins with maybe a shot at 8 if some things fall our way.

There are plenty of “10 win ceiling” posts. If you say the ceiling is 10- then you certainly believe this team is winning at least 8 games. You can only stretch your range so far. You don’t get to say 10 win ceiling and then we win 6 games for you to go- “yeah we finished about how I thought we would”

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 12:49 PM
There are plenty of “10 win ceiling” posts. If you say the ceiling is 10- then you certainly believe this team is winning at least 8 games. You can only stretch your range so far. You don’t get to say 10 win ceiling and then we win 6 games for you to go- “yeah we finished about how I thought we would”

I'm not seeing anyone saying 10 is our ceiling. That's nuts. Whitfield has a room ready if anyone believes that.

BeardoMSU
08-25-2021, 01:03 PM
Whitfield has a room ready if anyone believes that.

https://i.gifer.com/FBN6.gif

Coach34
08-25-2021, 01:05 PM
I'm not seeing anyone saying 10 is our ceiling. That's nuts. Whitfield has a room ready if anyone believes that.

This has been posted 2 ways:

A) The people that came right out and said it

B) The people that said "Our only 2 for sure losses are Bama and A&M". If you think we only have 2 sure losses- then you think our ceiling is 10 wins.

Probably the biggest divide I see on the board is between the people that think we will absolutely beat NC State and UPig vs the people that realize both games will be tough and we will be the underdog in both games.

RiverCityDawg
08-25-2021, 01:13 PM
This has been posted 2 ways:

A) The people that came right out and said it

B) The people that said "Our only 2 for sure losses are Bama and A&M". If you think we only have 2 sure losses- then you think our ceiling is 10 wins.

Probably the biggest divide I see on the board is between the people that think we will absolutely beat NC State and UPig vs the people that realize both games will be tough and we will be the underdog in both games.

I don't think B necessarily means what you say it means. You can think there are a lot more toss up games than sure losses without thinking we're going to win all those toss up games.

I think we're going to lose 4or5ish games but I don't know which games other than Alabama and A&M. The other 2 or 3 could be any of the other games except LaTech, Memphis or TennSt.

Coach34
08-25-2021, 01:23 PM
I don't think B necessarily means what you say it means. You can think there are a lot more toss up games than sure losses without thinking we're going to win all those toss up games.

I dont think you understand what "ceiling" means. Ceiling means you win all the toss-up games. Floor means you lose all the toss-up games.

Auburn and LSU arent toss-up games to me. LSU lost all their starters from 2019 and had the worst defensive strategy with no adjustment I've ever seen last year. And we barely won. The game was tied with 8 mins left. Auburn has blown us out 3 of the last 4 seasons. They have more talent and should be coached fairly well.

Maverick91
08-25-2021, 01:39 PM

I l'll go ahead and say 10 is possible. I think I even made a thread about it.

Ole Miss at home with a horrible D = Win
LA Tech, NC State, Memphis = Wins
LSU at home after three wins = Win
Arky = tough win
Kentucky at home avenging = Win
Vandy =Big Win
Auburn new coach, bad QB at home = Win
Tenn State = lol better win

I have so much sunshine coming out of me, I don't see why we couldn't even beat A&M. Like seriously, at LEAST play them to the wire!

IF WE ARE the team the sunshine pumpers think that we are. I believe we should go at worse 3-2 verse Ole Miss, Bama, Auburn, A&M, and LSU. Bama only Guaranteed Win... lol... loss.

Honestly if we do not win at least 8 games this year, I will count that a bad year. Now, if we do not win 8 games, but we play a bunch of people close and we are able to walk away and say " crap that was a freshman mistake or their guy was just better than our guy." I'll take it.

Call me crazy I really don't care, I am just tired of us not expecting State to make strides year after year.

confucius say
08-25-2021, 01:43 PM
I dont think you understand what "ceiling" means. Ceiling means you win all the toss-up games. Floor means you lose all the toss-up games.

Auburn and LSU arent toss-up games to me. LSU lost all their starters from 2019 and had the worst defensive strategy with no adjustment I've ever seen last year. And we barely won. The game was tied with 8 mins left. Auburn has blown us out 3 of the last 4 seasons. They have more talent and should be coached fairly well.

Ok. But it's fair to say LSU is a toss up game when we are not an underdog per FPI. And auburn didn't blow us out in 2020. It was 9-3 in the fourth quarter and ended 24-10.

I think our ceiling is 10 wins. Meaning if we win every toss up game on the schedule we reasonably can win, we would win 10. That won't happen of course.

I think our floor is 2 wins. Meaning if we lose every game that we could reasonably lose, we would win 2. That won't happen of course.

I think we go 7-5.

Coach34
08-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Ok. But it's fair to say LSU is a toss up game when we are not an underdog per FPI. And auburn didn't blow us out in 2020. It was 9-3 in the fourth quarter and ended 24-10.

FPI my butt. LSU is more talented than we are. They have more experience this year than last which will help. Can we outcoach them like we did last year? Maybe, but I wouldnt count on it. When the game kicks off we will likely be a 3-4 point dog- which at home means people think we are a TD underdog.

We beat Auburn 23-9 in 2018. They have beaten us by 2 TD's or more 4 of the last 5 seasons. It's not a toss-up no matter how much some of you want it to be. Some of you were calling 2019 a toss-up when the game ended up over 8 minutes into the 1st Q. Beating Auburn at Auburn would be a major upset

TrapGame
08-25-2021, 02:34 PM
FPI my butt. LSU is more talented than we are. They have more experience this year than last which will help. Can we outcoach them like we did last year? Maybe, but I wouldnt count on it. When the game kicks off we will likely be a 3-4 point dog- which at home means people think we are a TD underdog.

We beat Auburn 23-9 in 2018. They have beaten us by 2 TD's or more 4 of the last 5 seasons. It's not a toss-up no matter how much some of you want it to be. Some of you were calling 2019 a toss-up when the game ended up over 8 minutes into the 1st Q. Beating Auburn at Auburn would be a major upset

Dude, you know O leans heavily on his asst. coaches. He had great hires in Brady and Aranda. These new guys are college football play calling virgins. This is a huge liability for him this year. Had he brought in Todd Monken and Derrick Mason I'd would have been like "Oh, shit, O trying for another Natty." I'm not seeing that with this bunch.

Yeah, they got talent but what are they gonna do with it?

confucius say
08-25-2021, 03:04 PM

LSU was more talented than us last year too. And in 2017. And in 2014. And in 2015 and 2016 when they beat us by 2 and 3, respectively. They are always more talented than us.
We have more experience this year too. You think they will be a fg favorite on the road but don't think that's a toss up? Ok. And to be clear, I have us at 7-5 but not beating LSU. But to say that game is not in play is wrong IMO.

I don't expect us to beat auburn either. But I'm not willing to concede it as a for sure loss at this point.

RiverCityDawg
08-25-2021, 04:24 PM

I'm not gong to argue semantics of "ceiling" with you, because it doesn't matter. But just know that not everyone that thinks Alabama and A&M are the only sure losses thinks 10 wins is possible for this team. The extreme minority thinks any team wins all the toss ups.

And you can think the LSU game is a sure loss, but we "barely beat them" by 10 in Baton Rouge despite our QB throwing a pick six and us turning it over several other times. We beat the shit out of them and the score was a poor reflection of how bad we beat them. It should have been much worse. Now they've hired 2 coordinators that have never coordinated, their head coach sucks ass, and we've got them at home. It's a toss up. I think Auburn is more of a loss, but they lost a ton of proven players, their OL stinks, and they are overhauling their philosophy on both sides of the ball with a new head coach, so I'm not conceding that one in August.

vv83
08-25-2021, 04:31 PM
This is the dumbest thread Ive seen on here in a while

Captain Falcon
08-25-2021, 04:49 PM
I'm not gong to argue semantics of "ceiling" with you, because it doesn't matter. But just know that not everyone that thinks Alabama and A&M are the only sure losses thinks 10 wins is possible for this team. The extreme minority thinks any team wins all the toss ups.

I am with you on this. I am in the camp of thinking Bama and A&M are the only two losses but am also 99% sure we will lose more than 2 games. I just think those two are the baseline and then there a bunch of pretty interchangeable games. We could go 8-4 with losses to LSU and Auburn or 8-4 with wins against those two teams and I would not be totally shocked.

I think LSU is very much a toss-up at home assuming we have not regressed. Other than 2019 that series has been pretty competitive since 2014, and it was fairly interesting for a while in 2012 and 2013. And I know the Auburn game is on the road but they are a borderline bowl team with a bunch of question marks and a new coach with zero experience in the SEC. As we sit here today that is a winnable game.

But then I also think we have several games that some are chalking up as sure W's that will be a real challenge. So I am very much in the camp of thinking this is most likely a 6 to 8 win team. But I still stand by the fact that no specific losses are a given outside of Bama and A&M.