PDA

View Full Version : Just rewatched some 2017 MSU replays

R2Dawg
08-22-2021, 04:19 PM
Couple things.

Boy I miss Fitz power football.

Joe really blew his chance with MSU in 17 and 18. He was stacked to do some damage. D was lights out and O had lots of weapons we didn't utilize.

TV guys said in one of games that in SEC the team that wins the rushing battle, 80% of time wins the game. That is how we won 8 games a year ave with Mullen.

Correlate that to Leach and that stat don't look good. The two big wins we had end of last year, I think we out rushed our top 25 opponents both times. Interesting.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 04:36 PM
Personally I'm glad we've moved on from QB run every play and chuck and duck.

smootness
08-22-2021, 04:44 PM
Couple things.

Boy I miss Fitz power football.

Joe really blew his chance with MSU in 17 and 18. He was stacked to do some damage. D was lights out and O had lots of weapons we didn't utilize.

TV guys said in one of games that in SEC the team that wins the rushing battle, 80% of time wins the game. That is how we won 8 games a year ave with Mullen.

Correlate that to Leach and that stat don't look good. The two big wins we had end of last year, I think we out rushed our top 25 opponents both times. Interesting.

That's one of those stats that doesn't really tell the entire picture. Teams who are winning run much more than teams who are losing.

It's a little like the stat about how many games Arkansas won this year when Kopps pitched.

Maroonthirteen
08-22-2021, 06:11 PM
Boy, Joe grew 8 inches and total changed his face and his body typed from 17 to 18

R2Dawg
08-22-2021, 06:13 PM
That's one of those stats that doesn't really tell the entire picture. Teams who are winning run much more than teams who are losing.

It's a little like the stat about how many games Arkansas won this year when Kopps pitched.

Yes every stat has a footnote but one thing that stat does say is the SEC is a LOS league. When you own the LOS, you can run the ball to stay balanced. We are good on one side of the ball DL (that is how you stop other team from running) but the OL side and our scheme might be different.

We need balance and then we when you need to run, you run.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-23-2021, 04:40 AM
If the Leach experiment doesnt work out, it will be catastrophic for MSU Athletics.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2021, 07:02 AM
Personally I'm glad we've moved on from QB run every play and chuck and duck.

Agree. You can?t win big doing that.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2021, 07:06 AM
If the Leach experiment doesnt work out, it will be catastrophic for MSU Athletics.

We?ll be fine as a I fully expect Leach to turn this into an 8-9 win type team. Our recruiting will hold us back, but the we can?t bungle the hiring of Leach?s replacement like we did Mullen?s and Vick?s. We?ve got to hire from within for once and keep it going.

FISHDAWG
08-23-2021, 07:07 AM
Agree. You can?t win big doing that.

yep ... the entire universe knew what was coming