PDA

View Full Version : Saban Quote

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 08:04 AM
This is solid gold in my opinion:

While speaking with reporters on Saturday, Saban was asked for an update on Billingsley and whether he had done what was needed to move up the depth chart. But Saban then took that opportunity to send a strong message to not only Billingsley, but his team as a whole.
?Well, that?s up to him. That?s not up to me. He knows what he?s supposed to do at practices, he knows what he?s supposed to do,? Saban told the media. ?This is not a democracy. Everybody doesn?t get to do what they want to do. Everybody doesn?t get to do what they feel like doing. You?ve got to buy in and do what you?re supposed to do to be a part of the team and do the things you need to do in practice every day ? a sense of urgency, play fast, execute, do your job.
?It?s a privilege for everybody to go out there and be able to create value for yourself. We have scouts at practice every day. Everybody thinks it?s just about playing in the game. It?s not just about playing in the game. They watch practice film. They watch guys every day. You guys on ESPN, you evaluate what happens in the game. But they evaluate what happens every day, what you do every day.
?So what are you doing every day to create any value for yourself? But you?ve got to create value for yourself so that your teammates and everybody gets confidence in you so that you have their confidence when you go out there and play. That?s up to every player on the team. I don?t make that decision for everybody on the team. I try to get them to do it. I try to point out the importance of them doing it. But it?s up to them to do it. So maybe that?s not my question to answer.?

FISHDAWG
08-22-2021, 10:44 AM
While I agree with what he says, it seems Saban is never satisfied. I'll also say that I'm a fan of the guy

Lord McBuckethead
08-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Well once again, Saban is 100% correct, and you know he 100% means exactly what he says. It helps that he has 2 five star guys waiting on the bench to take this guys place if he doesn't get with the program. Saban doens't have to deal with the pressure that other coaches have to deal with in situations like this. You think Leach could have zero fan/administration pressure put on him if he decided to bench one of our best players? Leach would still probably bench him, but he would face criticism way more than Saban would.

At the end of the day, if you bench the guy and still win, no one would chirp about it.

So while we all agree with what Saban is saying, he is doing it from a position that most coaches do not have.

Offshore Dawg
08-22-2021, 12:26 PM
I don't think Saban takes any shit off anybody !!

R2Dawg
08-22-2021, 04:14 PM
I don't think Saban takes any shit off anybody !!

I disagree. Saban has cowered out several times when a PC thing to do comes up. He will say and do anything to get an edge. Some think that is great, but anyone can do that. Stand on principals even when others disagree is something else. Saban is a dictator because no one will dare push him. Is he the GOAT of coaches, yeah hard to disagree, but don't care for some other stuff.

He is right on most of what he said. His democracy comment didn't make sense, unless you take it that he is the dictator and it ain't a democracy. True again.

bulldawg28
08-22-2021, 04:34 PM
I disagree. Saban has cowered out several times when a PC thing to do comes up. He will say and do anything to get an edge. Some think that is great, but anyone can do that. Stand on principals even when others disagree is something else. Saban is a dictator because no one will dare push him. Is he the GOAT of coaches, yeah hard to disagree, but don't care for some other stuff.

He is right on most of what he said. His democracy comment didn't make sense, unless you take it that he is the dictator and it ain't a democracy. True again.

1000% truth

YazooDawg23
08-22-2021, 04:46 PM

I?d love to hear these PC examples.

Jack Lambert
08-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Deleted

R2Dawg
08-22-2021, 06:20 PM
I?d love to hear these PC examples.

If you don't know any then you ain't paid attention to his actions the past 2-3 years. And there is nothing I can say to convince so I'm not going to bother.

Johnson85
08-23-2021, 08:47 AM
While I agree with what he says, it seems Saban is never satisfied. I'll also say that I'm a fan of the guy

Not only is Saban not satisfied, he doesn't want his players to be satisfied. He's never going to praise a young player in a way that the player can go hear interview snippets and think he's "good enough".

It's possible Billingsly is coasting and that was a message to him that he hasn't decided to do what it takes yet. It's possible Billingsley is doing plenty well for a freshman, but he's not an intense freak and Saban doesn't want to think he's maxed out what he can do.

R2Dawg
08-24-2021, 11:31 AM
Not only is Saban not satisfied, he doesn't want his players to be satisfied. He's never going to praise a young player in a way that the player can go hear interview snippets and think he's "good enough".

It's possible Billingsly is coasting and that was a message to him that he hasn't decided to do what it takes yet. It's possible Billingsley is doing plenty well for a freshman, but he's not an intense freak and Saban doesn't want to think he's maxed out what he can do.

Hate to interrupt the Saban worship but what you describe is what basically every coach does. It ain't just a Saban thing.

Every coach decides who is producing and who ain't, that is who plays.

Johnson85
08-25-2021, 09:59 AM
Hate to interrupt the Saban worship but what you describe is what basically every coach does. It ain't just a Saban thing.

Every coach decides who is producing and who ain't, that is who plays.
That is not what every coach does. It's certainly not uncommon, but very few coaches are as intense about it as Saban.

FISHDAWG
08-25-2021, 10:04 AM
That is not what every coach does. It's certainly not uncommon, but very few coaches are as intense about it as Saban.

agree ... Saban would never run Brandon Holloway over the running backs we had at the time or play upperclassmen over talent just because they were upper classmen

Apoplectic
08-25-2021, 11:25 PM
agree ... Saban would never run Brandon Holloway over the running backs we had at the time or play upperclassmen over talent just because they were upper classmen

I think ur wrong about Holloway. Mullins was pulling a saban. BH showed up with his sack lunch everyday at practice, went to class, and worked circles around the other RBs. Only problem was he was not made to be a RB.

This set the tone for the rest of the team and fed dan?s ego with every win.

Todd4State
08-26-2021, 12:20 AM
I think ur wrong about Holloway. Mullins was pulling a saban. BH showed up with his sack lunch everyday at practice, went to class, and worked circles around the other RBs. Only problem was he was not made to be a RB.

Aeris Williams was hardly a slouch at those things.

I remember laughing because back in the day it we heard from MSU media "Holloway knows the playbook better and is a better blocker" and then as soon as Holloway gets hurt all of a sudden Aeris is a football junkie.

TUSK
08-26-2021, 06:57 AM

You had me until the part where you equated "pulling a Saban" to playing a guy at RB that "was not made to be a RB".

With all due respect, I'm gonna go with a "No." on that one....

Apoplectic
08-26-2021, 07:58 AM
You had me until the part where you equated "pulling a Saban" to playing a guy at RB that "was not made to be a RB".

With all due respect, I'm gonna go with a "No." on that one....

Yea that part didn?t apply to saban. I don?t think he has ever recruited a RB that didn?t fit the mold.