PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any guesses what?s coming?

Hambone
08-21-2021, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/geneswindoll/status/1429118104676753412?s=21

starkvegasdawg
08-21-2021, 02:41 PM
https://y.yarn.co/6a2141fd-6c42-4f29-bf32-bebc70731554_screenshot.jpg

BeardoMSU
08-21-2021, 02:44 PM

Lol. Perfection.

Todd4State
08-21-2021, 05:11 PM
My guess is some kind of college baseball trading cards. Fanatics just agreed to a deal with MLB to produce them for MLB and baseball cards are hot right now.

They may want to dip their toe in the market slowly and college baseball is a niche that Topps has never really explored. With us winning the CWS I could see them coming out with an exclusive CWS set with our players getting money from it. Just like MLB players get money from the baseball card companies. And then expand to other teams in the P5 and maybe some popular mid majors such as USM and Cal State Fullerton in the coming years.

In theory what that would/could do is provide enough money for players at larger schools to have enough for their tuition and fees and then the incoming freshmen would get the 11.7. So a baseball card set would in theory pay for at least 14-15 players when you consider our weekend rotation, our top two relievers and the rest of our starting lineup including the DH. Then the 11.7 could pay for others which would bring the total to 26.7 for the rest of the roster. Now the NCAA does mandate that every roster has to have so many players on some form of athletic scholarship but that would go to the newcomers and walk-ons with the high upside freshmen like a Jackson Fristoe getting the larger amounts and the Tanner Leggett's getting the smaller amounts but likely still potentially supplemented by athletic aid.

Just a complete guess though. I could see other things like a video game.

So, if my guess is correct it would be an absolute game changer for MSU and the SEC.

smootness
08-21-2021, 05:30 PM
I can't see college baseball cards selling well enough to make much of a difference for anyone, honestly.

R2Dawg
08-21-2021, 06:46 PM
I can't see college baseball cards selling well enough to make much of a difference for anyone, honestly.

Agree but for a handful of programs who go to CWS with one being MSU especially after the run we had this year. Not a ton of money but if you are a MLB collector you get some of the next MLB stars. I think it will work for a handful.

parabrave
08-21-2021, 08:42 PM

You may Run Like Mays but you hit like sh^&. The great Sweet Lou Brown!

Coach34
08-21-2021, 09:02 PM

Seriously? I see wealthy boosters that love baseball paying $500 to $1000 each for a signed card so that we can use that in recruiting. Lemon can walk in a home and tell a recruit- “I can only give you 1/3 of a scholly but our average player makes 15K from baseball card sales”

Things like that will be huge moving forward

BiscuitEater
08-21-2021, 09:26 PM
MSU Baseball used to sell Baseball cards each year. My 'first' Will Clark and Raffy cards were from MSU.

TheLostDawg
08-21-2021, 09:36 PM
I think the biggest part of this story is it starts with us. Who would have ever thought we'd be first when it comes to a big time deal.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 12:58 AM

Coach34 has the right line of thinking of what I'm talking about. It doesn't have to sell well. What it could be is a major MSU booster or company- say for example Mossy Oak pays money to have the cards produced and have their logo on the card. That money could total the amount of tuition for the rest of the team and then be distributed to the players via the guidelines of the NIL rules. The cards could be "produced by Mossy Oak" if that's in the NIL language as well so that MSU isn't caught up in NCAA BS.

It's a win/win/win for everyone- the sponsor, the players, and the fans as we all know that MSU has produced baseball cards for years now. Well, Vanderbilt would lose. But they're used to losing to us by now- 2012 SEC Tournament, 2018 SR, and 2021 CWS so why not us again right?

But if we do something like that it is inevitable that Ole Miss, LSU, and Arkansas would follow suit. Probably closely followed by South Carolina, Texas, and Texas A&M. And eventually the rest of the league just like the baseball stadium renaissance in the league. Hence why everyone in the league would benefit as doing that would not be something that the other schools in the league couldn't do either. Unlike the Vanderbilt endowment that only they can use.

23.3 which I came up with as 35- 11.7 and then 15K using MSU's estimate of 9K tuition and then an additional 6K for housing and etc. comes out to a total deal of 349,500 for the total deal which seems doable for our cigar boys especially if they're getting advertising out of it.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 12:59 AM
I think the biggest part of this story is it starts with us. Who would have ever thought we'd be first when it comes to a big time deal.

Very good point. And nothing new for MSU baseball.

Maroonthirteen
08-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Gene says it's big news????

Free Malco movie passes ????? Who knows.

CaptainObvious
08-22-2021, 01:28 PM
The entire team will wear Jorts next year since wearing baseball pants above the knees was made famous by MSU.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 09:20 PM
Gene says it's big news????

Free Malco movie passes ????? Who knows.

I don't know- but he did indicate that players could possibly pay off a mortgage with whatever is coming. That tells me whatever this is the money is going to potentially cover a lot more than tuition and room and board. It sounds like we're going to use the money to compete with MLB as well for the lower slotted rounds that are well under a million dollars for prospects and recruits. I don't have actual numbers to play around with so it's all theory at this point- but if Gene is correct one big selling point MSU could have is "come to MSU and you will be able to pay for your minor league career after MSU", Which would allow players to save on their bonus money. That's a big deal since a lot of players spend a good bit of their bonus money while they are playing minor league baseball. Which could make MSU a more economical decision for some players. For example we may have been able to land Jordan McCants with an offer like that. But on the side of it we may have been able to retain a player like Houston Harding who would have gotten a 10K bonus at most anyway as a senior sign vs leaving as a free agent this year. He may have actually been able to make more money by coming back to MSU and likely would have had the same opportunity at pro baseball after the fact anyway.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 09:22 PM
Also, if we're able to essentially pay players to come to MSU it will make us WAY more attractive to recruits than Vanderbilt. Of course, as I said I expect other teams to fall in line if we do this. But I'm OK with everyone having the same advantages unlike that douchebag Tim Corbin who basically wants to have all the advantages and have people talk about how awesome of a coach he is.

TNDawg35
08-22-2021, 10:48 PM
Coach34 has the right line of thinking of what I'm talking about. It doesn't have to sell well. What it could be is a major MSU booster or company- say for example Mossy Oak pays money to have the cards produced and have their logo on the card. That money could total the amount of tuition for the rest of the team and then be distributed to the players via the guidelines of the NIL rules. The cards could be "produced by Mossy Oak" if that's in the NIL language as well so that MSU isn't caught up in NCAA BS.

It's a win/win/win for everyone- the sponsor, the players, and the fans as we all know that MSU has produced baseball cards for years now. Well, Vanderbilt would lose. But they're used to losing to us by now- 2012 SEC Tournament, 2018 SR, and 2021 CWS so why not us again right?

But if we do something like that it is inevitable that Ole Miss, LSU, and Arkansas would follow suit. Probably closely followed by South Carolina, Texas, and Texas A&M. And eventually the rest of the league just like the baseball stadium renaissance in the league. Hence why everyone in the league would benefit as doing that would not be something that the other schools in the league couldn't do either. Unlike the Vanderbilt endowment that only they can use.

23.3 which I came up with as 35- 11.7 and then 15K using MSU's estimate of 9K tuition and then an additional 6K for housing and etc. comes out to a total deal of 349,500 for the total deal which seems doable for our cigar boys especially if they're getting advertising out of it.

There are several kids in baseball and football who have already signed with Spring Legion which is big turkey hunting group. We have several outlets in MS that can provide NIL deals and also have ties to MSU. Mossy Oak being the biggest, then you have Apex ammo and several more.

TNDawg35
08-22-2021, 10:49 PM
Also, if we're able to essentially pay players to come to MSU it will make us WAY more attractive to recruits than Vanderbilt. Of course, as I said I expect other teams to fall in line if we do this. But I'm OK with everyone having the same advantages unlike that douchebag Tim Corbin who basically wants to have all the advantages and have people talk about how awesome of a coach he is.

Vandy is shitting in their bed right now. They just lost their "advantage" of giving all players 100%. We can literally do that now with the NIL if we want. Look what BYU just did. If we can get someone like Mossy Oak onboard, which they have been in the past, it could be unreal.