PDA

View Full Version : How'd the Scrimmage Today Go?

confucius say
08-21-2021, 02:01 PM
Any word?

Cowbell
08-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Any word?

I heard we won

confucius say
08-21-2021, 02:14 PM
Better than losing

bulldawg28
08-21-2021, 02:29 PM
I heard we won

Yes!

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 03:13 PM
Will was 13-27 for 160 yards and a pick six. Have to play better than that. And maybe the line sucked, don't know, wasn't there. But those numbers won't work. Not when you are 5.9 yards per attempt and less than 50% and a pick six.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Will was 13-27 for 160 yards and a pick six. Have to play better than that. And maybe the line sucked, don't know, wasn't there. But those numbers won't work. Not when you are 5.9 yards per attempt and less than 50% and a pick six.

Holy crap that's awful. That's worse than most of last year

Cowbell
08-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Pick six...hmmm.... where have I heard that before? Let's hope this is the best 1-2 defenses he has to face.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 03:33 PM

I hope we have a killer D

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 03:34 PM
Pick six...hmmm.... where have I heard that before? Let's hope this is the best 1-2 defenses he has to face.

There were two pick six in the game.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 03:36 PM
There were two pick six in the game.

Please tell me the other wasn't Sawyer. Really hoping he's gonna make the progress needed to give us a talent boost mid season

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 03:47 PM
Please tell me the other wasn't Sawyer. Really hoping he's gonna make the progress needed to give us a talent boost mid season

He went 2-7 8yards and one int. He ain't gonnna sniff the field this year. Greek got more snaps than him. 6-12 51 yards and one int.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 03:52 PM
He went 2-7 8yards and one int. He ain't gonnna sniff the field this year. Greek got more snaps than him. 6-12 51 yards and one int.

Lol, with the saints replacing drew, wake me up for basketball season then

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-21-2021, 04:02 PM
sooo our 3 QBs were 21-56 for 119 yards and 3 ints, and this is AFTER we return a ton of guys that got game time last year. OL must be ass again

HoopsDawg
08-21-2021, 04:07 PM
sooo our 3 QBs were 21-56 for 119 yards and 3 ints, and this is AFTER we return a ton of guys that got game time last year. OL must be ass again

And 9 of those completions were to RBs.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 04:09 PM
And 9 of those completions were to RBs.

2 yard passes to rbs is exciting football

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:13 PM

No. Lovertich went 10-13 for 89 yards and a pick.

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:15 PM

Your yards are wrong. But I get your point. WR threw for 160. But he threw it 27 times.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:24 PM

You conveniently left out that Will had 4 total drives with 3 touchdown passes. You are an idiot or a troll. He is playing man defense all day. He isn’t going to have as high a completion % but he’s going to hit big plays against that defense. If you expect anyone to throw more than 3 touchdowns in 4 drives then maybe you’re following the wrong sport. I mean damn what do you want? Stop coming on here with your bullshit narrative just because you hate Mike Leach.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:30 PM
Also, Marks had 8 carries for 40 yards. Our starting tailback is averaging 5 yards a carry and our starting quarterback threw for 160 yards and 3 touchdowns in 4 drives today (about a half of football’s worth of drives). Y’all stop listening to this clown with an agenda.

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:33 PM
You conveniently left out that Will had 4 total drives with 3 touchdown passes. You are an idiot or a troll. He is playing man defense all day. He isn’t going to have as high a completion % but he’s going to hit big plays against that defense. If you expect anyone to throw more than 3 touchdowns in 4 drives then maybe you’re following the wrong sport. I mean damn what do you want? Stop coming on here with your bullshit narrative just because you hate Mike Leach.
I gave his stats. Troll whatever. .... didn't see how many drives he had. And I don't know where they started the drives either. But carry on mr high and mighty.... and when did I say I hated leach??

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:38 PM
I gave his stats. Troll whatever. .... didn't see how many drives he had. And I don't know where they started the drives either. But carry on mr high and mighty.... and when did I say I hated leach??

You did not give his stats. You gave a portion of his stats that continue your bullshit “we gonna suck” narrative. Leaving out the fact that the man had 4 drives total and threw for 3 touchdowns is a pretty damn large omission. The drives started from around midfield, per Paul Jones. Coming on here trying to act like our offense is going to suck ass when you either don’t know the entire story or omitted parts of the stats to continue your narrative about this offense is BS.

confucius say
08-21-2021, 04:42 PM
2 yard passes to rbs is exciting football

Will was over 12 yards a completion

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:43 PM
You did not give his stats. You gave a portion of his stats that continue your bullshit ?we gonna suck? narrative. Leaving out the fact that the man had 4 drives total and threw for 3 touchdowns is a pretty damn large omission. The drives started from around midfield, per Paul Jones. Coming on here trying to act like our offense is going to suck ass when you either don?t know the entire story or omitted parts of the stats to continue your narrative about this offense is BS.

I never said he sucked. And to add he didn't have 3 tds in 4 possessions. He threw the pick and got tot continue his possession. So maybe you don't know the entire story. And one of his td's came in red zone work. So why didn't YOU tell the entire story. People like you are why I've just about quit posting. Bitch moan complain and make shit up. So F off.

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:44 PM

This correct...

confucius say

Did you just not know he had 3 TD passes? I think Leaving that off is prob what triggered him

BayouDawg
Good God guys. Its a damn scrimmage where they mostly work on situational plays. Everybody calm down.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:47 PM
I never said he sucked. And to add he didn't have 3 tds in 4 possessions. He threw the pick and got tot continue his possession. So maybe you don't know the entire story. And one of his td's came in red zone work. So why didn't YOU tell the entire story. People like you are why I've just about quit posting. Bitch moan complain and make shit up. So F off.

Nope. Chance Lovertich is the one that threw the pick and got the possession extended. Wrong again. I don’t give a shit if you post or not.

confucius say
08-21-2021, 04:47 PM
If the true stats were 13-27 for 160 and 3 TD and 1 pick, that can be built off of. Sounds like we were throwing downfield more.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 04:48 PM

I guess that's good. I prefer yds/att to look good though when you throw it 70%+

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Nope. Chance Lovertich is the one that threw the pick and got the possession extended. Wrong again. I don’t give a shit if you post or not.

Well I just talked to a staff member that said he was avg at best. And said staff member also said he did get to continue a possession. But maybe he's wrong. Too add, where was I wrong before??? That I gave stats?? What of those that I posted do you disagree with?? Nvm.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Good God guys. Its a damn scrimmage where they mostly work on situational plays. Everybody calm down.

I wanna know how we looked vs a drop 8 bc the man just isn't gonna happen much in sec play

confucius say
08-21-2021, 04:52 PM
I guess that's good. I prefer yds/att to look good though when you throw it 70%+

Ideally yes.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Well I just talked to a staff member that said he was avg at best.

Cool. I just looked at a bunch of notes and stats from people that were there too. It’s almost like practice is open to the media and 9 dollars a month can get you the same access as some dude that lies about stats to paint a narrative about a coach he doesn’t like.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 04:55 PM
I wanna know how we looked vs a drop 8 bc the man just isn't gonna happen much in sec play

We have not faced drop 8 yet in camp. They will see it the next 2 weeks against the scout team.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Well I just talked to a staff member that said he was avg at best. And said staff member also said he did get to continue a possession. But maybe he's wrong. Too add, where was I wrong before??? That I gave stats?? What of those that I posted do you disagree with?? Nvm.

You omitted the fact that the man got 4 drives with the 1st team offense and had 3 touchdowns on those 4 drives. You seemed to have every other stat to include what his ypa was but you just conveniently left out the fact that he had 3 touchdown passes in 4 possessions. If you don’t know how that makes you look like a jacksss then I can’t help you. I would post the drive by drive chart on here that Paul jones just put in his site but I’m not going to give away the content he gets paid for. You should be ashamed of what you posted and then You do the poot and point acting like you didn’t do anything. Whoever gives you information should be embarrassed too. Literally everyone with a media credential is there. This is not top secret information and you are on here painting a BS narrative about our offense that literally no one else that watched practice is saying.

Homedawg
08-21-2021, 05:14 PM
You omitted the fact that the man got 4 drives with the 1st team offense and had 3 touchdowns on those 4 drives. You seemed to have every other stat to include what his ypa was but you just conveniently left out the fact that he had 3 touchdown passes in 4 possessions. If you don’t know how that makes you look like a jacksss then I can’t help you. I would post the drive by drive chart on here that Paul jones just put in his site but I’m not going to give away the content he gets paid for. You should be ashamed of what you posted and then You do the poot and point acting like you didn’t do anything. Whoever gives you information should be embarrassed too. Literally everyone with a media credential is there. This is not top secret information and you are on here painting a BS narrative about our offense that literally no one else that watched practice is saying.
Paint it how you like. I gave out numbers. You didn't like how I presented it. But I didn't make shit up. And FYI our media doesn't know shit about about football. This side of Wyatt. But they can get stats right. Sorry I left out the td's. But you left out the fact one of those was on a drive that started in the red zone.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Paint it how you like. I gave out numbers. You didn't like how I presented it. But I didn't make shit up. And FYI our media doesn't know shit about about football. This side of Wyatt. But they can get stats right. Sorry I left out the td's. But you left out the fact one of those was on a drive that started in the red zone.

Rogers had 2 touchdown passes and a running touchdown on a read option. His first touchdown on the 2 yard run came after a 33 yard completion and a 5 and 6 yard run. His second touchdown came on a 10 yard completion following a 30yard completion. His 3rd touchdown came on a 30 yard completion following a 14 yard completion.

He had a pick 6 for 75 yards on the first drive and threw it or ran for 3 touchdowns in a row after that. You either don’t know what the hell you are talking about or are lying. None of those drives started in the red zone. Our media may not know football but I doubt they are lying on the damn transcript of the scrimmage. I realize it is probably embarrassing for such a knowledgeable important guy with super secret staff sources to get called out by a lowly 9 dollars a month genespage subscriber but you are wrong and you are acting like a jackass after being called out because you damn well know you are wrong. Get over it.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2021, 05:26 PM

You gave 1/4th of his stats. To be clear.

HoopsDawg
08-21-2021, 05:26 PM

settle down. damn.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2021, 05:28 PM
**** settling down. If you are giving stats don?t omit all of the good stats, the difference in the scrimmage by the way.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 05:34 PM
**** settling down. If you are giving stats don?t omit all of the good stats, the difference in the scrimmage by the way.

We also played without our starting right tackle today. Lashley was out as a precautionary measure but he is fine. That should also be considered.

HoopsDawg
08-21-2021, 05:37 PM

Will threw 2 TD's on the same possession. Drives started at midfield and in the redzone. He ran the read option, but he is off limits for contact. I have been to practice and sometimes what you read from Paul and your $9 a month doesn't tell the whole story. Most of these stats are irrelevant, but it's all we have to talk about. Homedawg brought you some info, he forgot to include the TD passes, but it's not that big of a deal. It all meaningless b/c we aren't going to see much man to man defense all year anyway.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 05:40 PM
Will threw 2 TD's on the same possession. Drives started at midfield and in the redzone. He ran the read option, but he is off limits for contact. I have been to practice and sometimes what you read from Paul and your $9 a month doesn't tell the whole story. Most of these stats are irrelevant, but it's all we have to talk about. Homedawg brought you some info, he forgot to include the TD passes, but it's not that big of a deal. It all meaningless b/c we aren't going to see much man to man defense all year anyway.

Will did not throw 2 touchdown passes in the same possession.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 05:42 PM

Vs man 2 man, Costello put up 10.4 yds/att vs lsu. Not to impressed with our numbers if it was vs man 2 man

confucius say
08-21-2021, 05:51 PM
Vs man 2 man, Costello put up 10.4 yds/att vs lsu. Not to impressed with our numbers if it was vs man 2 man

Our defense, I think, is hell of a lot better than what LSU put on the field against us last year

msstate7
08-21-2021, 05:52 PM
It was a scrimmage though, so maybe we were working on certain things

HoopsDawg
08-21-2021, 05:53 PM

Yep, agree. I haven't been to any practices this year, but apparently we haven't worked agains the 3-8 all fall. We have been going 1's vs 1's so we have been running our defense. Hopefully, the scout team will give us some good looks the next 2 weeks.

R2Dawg
08-21-2021, 06:17 PM

So another words expect the same this fall as last fall.

Dawgfan77
08-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Hoops is preach preach is hoops. Meaning. Y'all scan Twitter FB and message boards get your intel pass Then pass it off as if You talked to a staff member. Only concentrate on the negatives of practice... again PRACTICE... then you'll come on here and say I'm wrong I spoke to the staff member or I had dinner Louisville with a media member. Rises repeat. Maybe stick to hoops...

msstate7
08-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Hoops is preach preach is hoops. Meaning. Y'all scan Twitter FB and message boards get your intel pass Then pass it off as if You talked to a staff member. Only concentrate on the negatives of practice... again PRACTICE... then you'll come on here and say I'm wrong I spoke to the staff member or I had dinner Louisville with a media member. Rises repeat. Maybe stick to hoops...

Lay off hoops, he wants to be good, but he doesn't just rely on hope like most here

KOdawg1
08-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Our defense will be good.

I'm still not sold on our offense.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2021, 06:56 PM
If you have issues with erectile disfunction, say away from these QB stats. They are not your friend...**

Coach34
08-21-2021, 07:06 PM

Thats funny. Homedawg 100% knows people on staff. Poor guy even had to deal with a previous staff member as a neighbor

Gutter Cobreh
08-21-2021, 07:19 PM
If you have issues with erectile disfunction, say away from these QB stats. They are not your friend...**

I would have liked to see you post the Iverson clip "talking about practice"...

Essentially, that's what today was. Why is everyone worried about practice stats????

msstate7
08-21-2021, 07:28 PM
I would have liked to see you post the Iverson clip "talking about practice"...

Essentially, that's what today was. Why is everyone worried about practice stats????

If we had a history of performing well in actual games, I would t be concerned. You remember our last game offensively?

Jarius
08-21-2021, 07:47 PM
If we had a history of performing well in actual games, I would t be concerned. You remember our last game offensively?

It was sleeting and 31 degrees. We may be complete garbage on offense but everyone that has seen us practice is pretty adamant that we are improved offensively. If we have 3 touchdowns every 4 possessions this year we will be fine. I’m most concerned that we have not seen the drop 8 all camp though. Nothing we have seen all camp even remotely resembles the defenses we will face all year and that is concerning.

confucius say
08-21-2021, 07:58 PM

To be fair it was 30, sleeting amd raining, and 20 mph wind. Mizzou before that was pretty good.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 08:05 PM
To be fair it was 30, sleeting amd raining, and 20 mph wind. Mizzou before that was pretty good.

They were also missing their best defensive player. I thought we performed well offensively in 2 games last year: LSU and mizzou

Leroy Jenkins
08-21-2021, 08:13 PM
At this point in camp our DBs can probably run the routes with our Receivers.

confucius say
08-21-2021, 08:18 PM
They were also missing their best defensive player. I thought we performed well offensively in 2 games last year: LSU and mizzou

True on mizzou.

I thought we were pretty good at Georgia vs that defense.
Not bad vs OM and that horrible defense.

If we just clean up the turnovers and bad snaps that killed numerous drives we will be much better. I don't expect us to be dynamic, but we can be solid.

msstate7
08-21-2021, 08:20 PM
True on mizzou.

I thought we were pretty good at Georgia vs that defense.
Not bad vs OM and that horrible defense.

If we just clean up the turnovers and bad snaps that killed numerous drives we will be much better. I don't expect us to be dynamic, but we can be solid.

I'll give you Georgia. I shoulda remembered that one. Vs OM though, we were below their avg allowed def yds/game and yds/play.

confucius say
08-21-2021, 08:36 PM
I'll give you Georgia. I shoulda remembered that one. Vs OM though, we were below their avg allowed def yds/game and yds/play.

Well we were def below the average offense they played last year considering they played all sec offenses, so that makes sense.

We just need to be middle of the pack offensively

BiscuitEater
08-21-2021, 09:35 PM
Will threw 2 TD's on the same possession.

Confused! How did Will throw 2 TDs "on the same possession?"

Brahmabull
08-21-2021, 09:50 PM
Let me clear a few things up.

1. I?ve known Homedawg for almost 30 years.
2. I?ve known at least 1 staff member he talks to for the same amount of time.
3. I can promise that Homedawg loves MSU and wants us to win but he is also going to post what he is told by people who are there every day of the year regardless if it?s positive or negative.
4. I also know that Homedawg will hear and has heard more inside information in one season than Paul Jones and many of our media have heard in their careers. I don?t say that as disrespect to PJ and other MSU media people but to say that Homedawg has real relationships with people on staff and previously on staff that share info with him that they would never share with media members.

So, maybe you didn?t like the stats he gave. Maybe you think he only gave select stats to create a narrative he likes. Not true.

Maybe he gave the stats he was given because that?s what he was told. I would bet that the overall discussion from staff members to Homedawg on the offensives performance today was that the offense sucked! It doesn?t mean we will suck on offense this year. It means we sucked on offense in this scrimmage.

If you just want to read sunshine and rainbows then don?t read Homedawg?s post. If you want real information then read and don?t criticize. Otherwise, he will keep it off the board.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-21-2021, 10:02 PM
Hey guys, good news. Real MSU football doesn't start until Sept 4th this is just practice, hope that helps. Take two shots of Makers on the rocks and watch game 3 of the CWS and all those negative waves will go away. Cheers!

Commercecomet24
08-21-2021, 10:27 PM

3. I can promise that Homedawg loves MSU and wants us to win but he is also going to post what he is told by people who are there every day of the year regardless if it?s positive or negative.
4. I also know that Homedawg will hear and has heard more inside information in one season than Paul Jones and many of our media have heard in their careers. I don?t say that as disrespect to PJ and other MSU media people but to say that Homedawg has real relationships with people on staff and previously on staff that share info with him that they would never share with media members.

So, maybe you didn?t like the stats he gave. Maybe you think he only gave select stats to create a narrative he likes. Not true.

Maybe he gave the stats he was given because that?s what he was told. I would bet that the overall discussion from staff members to Homedawg on the offensives performance today was that the offense sucked! It doesn?t mean we will suck on offense this year. It means we sucked on offense in this scrimmage.

If you just want to read sunshine and rainbows then don?t read Homedawg?s post. If you want real information then read and don?t criticize. Otherwise, he will keep it off the board.

This, everything you said 100%. Homedawg will give it to you straight, good or bad.

Cowbell
08-21-2021, 10:39 PM
It's pretty obvious in the post game presser that Leach is pissed and that the offense isn't where he wants it to be and that our defense is good. Practice stats don't matter. Heck it bothers me that our defense let our offense score three times.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 10:58 PM
This, everything you said 100%. Homedawg will give it to you straight, good or bad.

He did not give it straight today. Our starting quarterback had 4 drives and scored 3 touchdowns and started zero of those drives in the red zone and he lied (or got bad information) or omitted all of that. He is obviously some big Whig or former player or something that everyone bows down to on here. I don’t really care but he gave a bunch of BS today because everyone else there reported something different than he did.The guys that report on the scrimmage (that were actually present and saw it with their own eyes) may not have the football IQ of Nick Saban but they are not so stupid that they can’t put together a play by play scrimmage transcript of what happened.

Brahmabull
08-21-2021, 11:28 PM
Jarius - I?m telling you that what he gave tells you all you need to know about how the staff felt about the scrimmage from the offensive side of the ball. Nobody is bowing down to anyone.

I am telling you that you can get real info from Homedawg or you can read sunshine pumping from media people who don?t know how the staff really feels. Media people know positivity sells subscriptions. I don?t blame them for that, but most of them don?t really know a damn thing about what is really going on. Full stats in a scrimmage don?t really tell the story. It?s a scrimmage. Coaches are trying to measure and judge different things from one series to the next.

If you don?t like what Homedawg says then fine, but I?m vouching that he brings legit inside information to the board. He brings real inside info to a free board and people like you accuse him of having an agenda. I?m telling you he doesn?t. I think it would suck for this board if he chose to stop sharing information because people make false accusations against him. That?s all.

Brahmabull
08-21-2021, 11:31 PM
Lastly, it doesn?t mean Will Rogers or anybody else on the offense won?t or can?t have a great season. It just means that the staff wasn?t happy with today?s performance.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 11:37 PM
Jarius - I?m telling you that what he gave tells you all you need to know about how the staff felt about the scrimmage from the offensive side of the ball. Nobody is bowing down to anyone.

I am telling you that you can get real info from Homedawg or you can read sunshine pumping from media people who don?t know how the staff really feels. Media people know positivity sells subscriptions. I don?t blame them for that, but most of them don?t really know a damn thing about what is really going on. Full stats in a scrimmage don?t really tell the story. It?s a scrimmage. Coaches are trying to measure and judge different things from one series to the next.

If you don?t like what Homedawg says then fine, but I?m vouching that he brings legit inside information to the board. He brings real inside info to a free board and people like you accuse him of having an agenda. I?m telling you he doesn?t. I think it would suck for this board if he chose to stop sharing information because people make false accusations against him. That?s all.

The people on genespage are not sunshine pumping this scrimmage. They did not even give an opinion on the scrimmage. They simply started a thread and posted a recap of every play that happened (down and distance and result of play for the entire scrimmage).What I am telling you is the scrimmage stats he gave you were not complete or correct. If you don’t think 3 touchdowns in 4 drives is good then fine. I’m not going to argue with you. That is your opinion. Our coaches may not be good with that either. I don’t know. The only thing I know for sure is that the scrimmage stats he gave are not correct. I gave you the correct ones. You can decide for yourself if those are good or bad. We may not score a point all year. Our defense may give up 60 points a game. I do not know. I do know he gave limited information and omitted anything positive that happened with his stats and used the negative ones to say how much we need to improve.

Brahmabull
08-21-2021, 11:45 PM
The people on genespage are not sunshine pumping this scrimmage. They did not even give an opinion on the scrimmage. What I am telling you is the scrimmage stats he gave you were not complete or correct. If you don?t think 3 touchdowns in 4 drives is good then fine. I?m not going to argue with you. That is your opinion. Our coaches may not be good with that either. I don?t know. The only thing I know for sure is that the scrimmage stats he gave are not correct. I gave you the correct ones. You can decide for yourself if those are good or bad. We may not score a point all year. Our defense may give up 60 points a game. I do not know. I do know he gave limited information and omitted anything positive that happened with his stats and used the negative ones to say how much we need to improve.

Fine. I?m telling you maybe the stats he gave are all the staff really cared about. Like I said, it?s a scrimmage. 1?s vs 1?s. 1?s vs 2?s. 1?s vs 3?s. Etc.

Jarius
08-21-2021, 11:50 PM
Fine. I?m telling you maybe the stats he gave are all the staff really cared about. Like I said, it?s a scrimmage. 1?s vs 1?s. 1?s vs 2?s. 1?s vs 3?s. Etc.

Yes in 1’s vs 1’s Will was around 50 %. Had a pick 6 on the first drive on a tipped ball. Had 3 touchdowns against the 1’s after that (none of which came in a drive that started in the red zone like he said). The staff could very well find that unacceptable. They probably have way higher standards than anyone on here. If all of that information Was in the original comment and he still had that opinion this thread would be dead.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2021, 12:18 AM
If a defense faced Leach's offense everyday, wouldn't it be easy to stop?

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 01:09 AM

Who was average? Will or Lovertich?

And I agree with you without having been there myself. Our completion percentage has got to get better whoever the QB is.

And I'll say this based on what I have watched which was the spring game and then reading the stats- my biggest concern with Will is to me it looked like he was trying to force more things when things weren't there. Now, yes, they could be because it was practice and it didn't matter. But I don't like to see that. Because turnovers will kill this offense like last year.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 01:10 AM

Couldn't you use this excuse for every team in the country?

msstate7
08-22-2021, 01:23 AM
Will Rogers yds/att...
2020: 5.7
Spring game: 6.2
Today: 5.9

This number needs to around 6.8 or better this year

parabrave
08-22-2021, 01:33 AM

Were they dump offs to RBs or were they WRs running 5 yard outs?

preachermatt83
08-22-2021, 01:59 AM

You lack intellect don?t you? You literally have zero idea what you are talking about. Hoops is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. Give me a break.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 02:31 AM
Will Rogers yds/att...

Why? That seems arbitrary.

I'm much more concerned about TD/INT ratio and completion percentage.

At any rate it sounds to me like Will is a typical second year MSU QB who played decently in year one when other teams didn't have a scouting report and the playbook was trimmed down but now that he has experience and it's time to grow the dumb mistakes increase as he essentially knows enough to be dangerous to throw it to the other team.

I fully expect him to look like dogshit and then get benched and then we have to go with Lovertich and hope for the best. YAY!

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 04:52 AM

Well that just makes too much sense and we can't melt if we consider that...

msstate7
08-22-2021, 06:05 AM
Why? That seems arbitrary.

I'm much more concerned about TD/INT ratio and completion percentage.

At any rate it sounds to me like Will is a typical second year MSU QB who played decently in year one when other teams didn't have a scouting report and the playbook was trimmed down but now that he has experience and it's time to grow the dumb mistakes increase as he essentially knows enough to be dangerous to throw it to the other team.

I fully expect him to look like dogshit and then get benched and then we have to go with Lovertich and hope for the best. YAY!

Washington st yds/att by year...
2019: 8.0
2018: 7.2
2017: 6.7
2016: 7.1
2015: 6.9

Now I'll show you where 6.0 yds/att ranks the last 5 years nationally...
2020: 109 out of 127
2019: 116 out of 130
2018: 119 out of 129
2017: 121 out of 130
2016: 120 out of 128

If we aren't around 6,8 yds/att, we will not be successful bc our offense is really pass heavy

Dawgfan77
08-22-2021, 07:17 AM
You lack intellect don?t you? You literally have zero idea what you are talking about. Hoops is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board. Give me a break.

Funny. You still pissed I called you out last week.... have a good sermon today. Scott county sends its love... 🙏 up Preach

confucius say
08-22-2021, 07:59 AM
Will Rogers yds/att...

Counter point: who cares about the 5.9 if 3 of every 4 possessions are ending in TD

msstate7
08-22-2021, 08:16 AM
Counter point: who cares about the 5.9 if 3 of every 4 possessions are ending in TD

I'm confused has that sample I gave (Rogers career - games and practice) ended in TDs 3 of 4 drives?

If we score at that clip at 5.9 yds/att, we will lead the country in TOs, 3rd down %, or field position

RiverCityDawg
08-22-2021, 08:45 AM
I'm confused has that sample I gave (Rogers career - games and practice) ended in TDs 3 of 4 drives?

If we score at that clip at 5.9 yds/att, we will lead the country in TOs, 3rd down %, or field position

Maybe then the takeaway is that scrimmage stats don't translate to game stats so shouldn't be broken down and evaluated the same way?

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 08:49 AM

At 5.9 yards per attempt and also including the 5 yards per carry we rushed in practice, we would technically rarely see a third down.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 08:52 AM
Maybe then the takeaway is that scrimmage stats don't translate to game stats so shouldn't be broken down and evaluated the same way?

Ok, he was at 5.7 yds/game in real games last year. This was dead last in the country among qualifiers.

I gave the real stats, along with spring snd scrimmage to show it hasn't really improved.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 08:58 AM
At 5.9 yards per attempt and also including the 5 yards per carry we rushed in practice, we would technically rarely see a third down.

Not sure how that combo would play out, but I doubt it does. Leach at WSU never avg that low at yds/att passing or that high yds/rush.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 09:01 AM
I think everyone knows I have big doubts about this offense and will, but I'm not saying either/both can't be successful. To be successful though, leach's history at WSU says that number (yds/att) needs to be high 6s+

msstate7
08-22-2021, 09:08 AM
We have 3 games to start vs teams that we should score well on. I wanna see us score 30+ in each of these bc LSU, at aTm, and bama are gonna be tough tasks. I expect LSU to ditch man-to-man this time

confucius say
08-22-2021, 09:34 AM

We averaged 5.9 per attempt yesterday and scored TD 3 of 4 possessions. We'll all take that every game.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 09:48 AM
We averaged 5.9 per attempt yesterday and scored TD 3 of 4 possessions. We'll all take that every game.

Last year, we avg 5.9 yds/att or less in 7 games, and we went 2-5 in those games. We beat vandy and tulsa.

RiverCityDawg
08-22-2021, 09:49 AM
Ok, he was at 5.7 yds/game in real games last year. This was dead last in the country among qualifiers.

I gave the real stats, along with spring snd scrimmage to show it hasn't really improved.

I'm not making any arguments here, other than to say one stat taken from a controlled scrimmage no one here saw isn't a good indicator as to what to expect from this offense this year. But I'll go ahead and add to that a single spring game 5 months ago with the offensive roster divided in half isn't a good indicator as to what to expect this year either.

Maybe we'll be better this year, maybe not. I'm just not taking controlled practice stats as valid supporting info to help me make that determination either way. We'll find out soon enough.

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Last year, we avg 5.9 yds/att or less in 7 games, and we went 2-5 in those games. We beat vandy and tulsa.

With no spring practice, limited fall practice, a make shift OL every Saturday due to the Rona and a freshman QB getting thrown into the fire b/c the grad transfer didn't pan out.

msstate7
08-22-2021, 10:06 AM
With no spring practice, limited fall practice, a make shift OL every Saturday due to the Rona and a freshman QB getting thrown into the fire b/c the grad transfer didn't pan out.

So, you think we need to do better than 5.9 yds/pass this year?

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 10:26 AM

We will. Everybody needs to settle down until we see live games.

Of course, we can blow the doors off La Tech but the usual suspects will immediately start the new narrative "It was only La Tech. They suck."

confucius say
08-22-2021, 10:31 AM

So you're saying the stats from the scrimmage yesterday didn't matter? Or just that they are an outlier?

I would argue last year didnt matter and what happened yesterday is more important.

confucius say
08-22-2021, 10:33 AM

I hope so.

But honestly, not if we can score TD on 3 of 4 possessions while averaging 5.9 per attempt like we did Saturday.

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 10:57 AM
I hope so.

But honestly, not if we can score TD on 3 of 4 possessions while averaging 5.9 per attempt like we did Saturday.

Plus, we do not know what the coaches were wanting to see. This is situational ball. Was it a two minute drill from the 40? Were they working on specific reads for Will? Were they working on red zone defense?

Offshore Dawg
08-22-2021, 12:28 PM
And the pissing contest continues.

CaptainObvious
08-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Plus, we do not know what the coaches were wanting to see. This is situational ball. Was it a two minute drill from the 40? Were they working on specific reads for Will? Were they working on red zone defense?

I look forward to reports from the final scrimmage where the offense is starting at the home 25, where it will start most of the drives. Let?s see if it is going to be a plodding methodical 5 to 6 yards per play all the way to the end zone or if there will be a few 15 to 20 yard plays thrown in. I don?t get the need for the yardage per attempt stat. Useless stat. The ball wasn?t caught for a multitude of possible reasons.

Prediction? Pain.
08-22-2021, 01:00 PM

If we aren't around 6,8 yds/att, we will not be successful bc our offense is really pass heavy

I wonder how (or if) we'll track Connor Halliday's tenure in Leach's first three years at WSU. Halliday was a freshman the year before Leach got there and had done well with limited playing time in a really solid pass-first offense. In two conference games pre-Leach, Halliday had thrown for 784 yards at 9.3 yds/attempt, and 6 tds to 4 ints, which equated to a QB rating of 150.

His first year with Leach in 2012, he split the starting-QB role with a senior and played a bunch in 6 of their 9 conference games. Then he was the starter as a junior in 2013 and as a senior in 2014, though his senior year he split some time with freshman Luke Falk in 5 games.

He never matched his pre-Leach yards-per-attempt or QB rating but the offense steadily improved. Here are his conference-only stats in Leach years 1 - 3:

2012: 51.5% comp., 6.1 yds/att, 11 TDs, 10 INTs, 109 QB rating
2013: 61.9% comp., 6.1 yds/att, 18 TDs, 15 INTs, 119 QB rating
2014: 67.0% comp., 6.9 yds/att, 20 TDs, 6 INTs, 140 QB rating

WSU's conference-only yds/att ranks in those three years in the PAC 12 was 11th, 11th, and 7th, and their conference-only scoring offense rank followed suit at 10th, 9th, and 7th. National offensive FEI rankings in those years went from 100th to 62nd to 41st. (Their records those three years were 3 - 9 (1 - 8), 6 - 7 (4 - 5), and 3 - 9 (2 -7). While WSU's offense got better over Leach's first three years, the defense started off bad and just got worse. Same DC all three years, and Leach fired him after 2014. He then hired Alex Grinch.)

Now here are Rogers' SEC-only stats from last year, albeit on around 80 more passing attempts than Halliday's in 2012:

2020: 69.6% comp., 5.8 yds/att, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 124 QB rating

Hopefully Rogers can build on that the same way that Halliday did at the start of Leach's tenure. Combined with a defense that's at least competent, which Leach lacked in years 1 - 3 at WSU, I'd like to think that gives us a chance to improve this year and next.

Percho
08-22-2021, 01:14 PM

Vince Lombardi's concept was, we practice what we do unto perfection, here it is, you stop it because if we run it to perfection we do not think you can stop it.

Course they could practice all day if need be.

I hope we are practicing unto perfection! I also hope at some point in time we achieve to perfection.

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 01:49 PM
I look forward to reports from the final scrimmage where the offense is starting at the home 25, where it will start most of the drives. Let?s see if it is going to be a plodding methodical 5 to 6 yards per play all the way to the end zone or if there will be a few 15 to 20 yard plays thrown in. I don?t get the need for the yardage per attempt stat. Useless stat. The ball wasn?t caught for a multitude of possible reasons.

Especially since this offense is designed to lure you in and tackle open space in the middle before it beats you over the top.

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 01:51 PM
Not sure how that combo would play out, but I doubt it does. Leach at WSU never avg that low at yds/att passing or that high yds/rush.

7 I have my doubts about our scheme as well, but if we average anywhere close to 5 yards/carry in a game, then I bet we will care less about yards/attempt passing.

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 01:53 PM
And the pissing contest continues.

Be thankful man... there were two threads at the top about TSUN just a few days ago LOL

MaroonFlounder
08-22-2021, 01:55 PM

Completely fair.

I think the fear of the average message board reader is that this will once again NOT LOOK like a Mike Leach offense, and that it will take even more time to get it right (to Leach specifications) and that we are looking again at a par or sub-par year.

IMO there are 3 elephants in the room
1) this year's MSU schedule is a MFer (all odd-numbered years are for us)
2) the o-line is STILL a work-in-progress
3) Will Rogers, although a great leader, great competitor, and a guy everyone wants to go to war with, has some limitations that will prove costly vs SEC defenses. And is not the most talented guy in the QB room, but has earned Leach's trust.

This is a 6-6/7-5 football team, and that's ok for ML in year 2 of SEC play.

HoopsDawg
08-22-2021, 02:26 PM
Completely fair.

I think the fear of the average message board reader is that this will once again NOT LOOK like a Mike Leach offense, and that it will take even more time to get it right (to Leach specifications) and that we are looking again at a par or sub-par year.

IMO there are 3 elephants in the room
1) this year's MSU schedule is a MFer (all odd-numbered years are for us)
2) the o-line is STILL a work-in-progress
3) Will Rogers, although a great leader, great competitor, and a guy everyone wants to go to war with, has some limitations that will prove costly vs SEC defenses. And is not the most talented guy in the QB room, but has earned Leach's trust.

This is a 6-6/7-5 football team, and that's ok for ML in year 2 of SEC play.

1. This is the easiest schedule we could dream of; Vandy and UK from the East.
2. The Oline should be improved. Sharp is a better center than last year's starter. Cross and Lashley are veteran highly rated tackles, Cross is a draft pick. Dolla is a highly rated Guard. Kam Jones slides from starter at Tackle to starter at guard where he is a better fit. This is about the best we can hope for on the Oline
3. Agree with this statement, but Leach has won with guys of similar talent.

If we can't go at least 6-6 with this team and this schedule, Leach isn't the guy. His time has passed. If he can go 7-5, 8-4 there's some hope for the future.

KOdawg1
08-22-2021, 02:33 PM
2. The Oline should be improved. Sharp is a better center than last year's starter. Cross and Lashley are veteran highly rated tackles, Cross is a draft pick. Dolla is a highly rated Guard. Kam Jones slides from starter at Tackle to starter at guard where he is a better fit. This is about the best we can hope for on the Oline

If we can't go at least 6-6 with this team and this schedule, Leach isn't the guy. His time has passed. If he can go 7-5, 8-4 there's some hope for the future.

Yep, yep, and yep

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 02:42 PM

Spot on.

MaroonFlounder
08-22-2021, 02:47 PM

The schedule being tough is based on toss-up games (Aub/A&M) are on the road, and Bama/LSU are @ home. That's 4 losses.

Most MSU fans are counting NC St as a win. I am not.

I hope you are correct about the O-Line.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2021, 02:59 PM
Couldn't you use this excuse for every team in the country?

I think bowl records have shown that Leach's offense and the triple option are a little more susceptible than other offense to this issue.

I expect our offense to be good this year.

confucius say
08-22-2021, 03:05 PM
The schedule being tough is based on toss-up games (Aub/A&M) are on the road, and Bama/LSU are @ home. That's 4 losses.

LSU is a toss up. So is KY. And NC state. And Mississippi. All are at home.

HoopsDawg
08-22-2021, 03:08 PM

I hate to break it to you, but A&M ain't a toss up. Glad to have UK and OM at home.

HoopsDawg
08-22-2021, 03:11 PM
I think bowl records have shown that Leach's offense and the triple option are a little more susceptible than other offense to this issue.

I expect our offense to be good this year.

As for our overall offense, we can discuss many things. It's very simple to me. You have to make teams pay for rushing 3 and dropping 8. And you make them pay by running the football. If we can't do that, Leach is doing it wrong and we will be 6-6 at best. I'm sure there are some posters that disagree, but they are wrong.

MaroonFlounder
08-22-2021, 03:37 PM
I hate to break it to you, but A&M ain't a toss up.

They are breaking in a new QB.

Most years (minus Johnny Football) with them are toss ups at DWS

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 04:50 PM

LSU has a new OC/DC with zero college level play calling experience. They are not unconquerable juggernaut from years past. O is a mediocre coach that caught lightening in a bottle one season.

NC State is an average team. Could we piss it away? Sure, but I doubt it.

Is Harsin really going to be that good out of the gate at AU? He's not coaching the Alabama of the Mountain West anymore. He's in the SEC now. Close game.

A&M will be pretty good but the new QB may be their Achilles' Heel. But, it's at College Station.

Bama is Bama. I'd love to see a competitive game. Give Saban a little heart attack in the 4th quarter.

BiscuitEater
08-22-2021, 05:19 PM
Confused! How did Will throw 2 TDs "on the same possession?"

Yo Hoops, you going to answer the question or just put it out there and avoid it? 'How' did will throw two TDs "on the same possession?"

Coach34
08-22-2021, 05:24 PM
Orgeron is a very good coach now. He has learned to let his coaches coach while he plays the role of motivator. LSU took a step back because of all the talent they lost from 2019. They are talented and should be a pretty good football team this Fall. He didnt catch lighting in 2019- they were the best team in the country and played like it all year long. He will be more successful than Miles was because he is doing a better job of QB recruiting

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Orgeron is a very good coach now. He has learned to let his coaches coach while he plays the role of motivator. LSU took a step back because of all the talent they lost from 2019. They are talented and should be a pretty good football team this Fall. He didnt catch lighting in 2019- they were the best team in the country and played like it all year long. He will be more successful than Miles was because he is doing a better job of QB recruiting

He's leaning on virgin coordinators. That's not a strength this year. The lightening in the bottle were two outstanding coordinators and a rock star QB. O ain't got much to lean on right now.

confucius say
08-22-2021, 05:56 PM
O will be as good as the coordinators he hires. Assuming he can fix the chemistry issues in the locker room and avoid the ncaa hammer.

Jarius
08-22-2021, 06:29 PM
Ed is 2-2 against State since he arrived at LSU. As long as he is at LSU it will be a tossup most years.

HoopsDawg
08-22-2021, 07:03 PM
Yo Hoops, you going to answer the question or just put it out there and avoid it? 'How' did will throw two TDs "on the same possession?"

threw a TD. Then we spotted the ball at the 20 and he ended up throwing another TD. So I guess it was poor wording on my part. It wasn't a game like situation. A lot of situational stuff.

HoopsDawg
08-22-2021, 07:05 PM
O will be as good as the coordinators he hires. Assuming he can fix the chemistry issues in the locker room and avoid the ncaa hammer.

That's correct. He has to have top notch coordinators. Ensminger and Brady were a great combo in 2019 with Aranda as DC. But have to give a lot of credit to O for stacking that roster.

Jarius
08-22-2021, 07:08 PM
threw a TD. Then we spotted the ball at the 20 and he ended up throwing another TD. So I guess it was poor wording on my part. It wasn't a game like situation. A lot of situational stuff.

Will had a 2 yard rushing TD after a 30 yard pass, a 5 yard run, and a 6 yard run. He had a 10 yard touchdown pass after a 30 yard completion. He had a 30 yard touchdown pass after a ten yard completion. He never had a touchdown pass from the 20 yard line directly after another touchdown pass (that anyone counted on the stat sheet that has been reported here). There is a play by play scrimmage board that shows every single play of the scrimmage. If what you said happened it isn’t calculated into the stats being reported as one of his 3 touchdown drives.

OLJWales
08-22-2021, 07:28 PM
A bad mood prolly caused Hoops' shit post but it ain't indicative of what he typically does cuz I check out his posts on occasion. Thank you for the work Jarius; I feel better now.

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 07:35 PM
Marks and Johnson were averaging 8 yards a carry. Nobody is saying our run defense is gonna be shitty.

Homedawg
08-22-2021, 07:58 PM
Johnson is the best rb.

TrapGame
08-22-2021, 08:10 PM
Johnson is the best rb.

Agreed.

confucius say
08-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Johnson is the best rb.

I thought that last year too

Cowbell
08-22-2021, 08:44 PM
Johnson is the best rb.

I'm excited about him

CaptainObvious
08-22-2021, 08:52 PM
Johnson is the best rb.

He may very well be. Last week Marks was the best RB. So I guess they will be listed on the depth chart as 1A and 1AA

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Fair enough.

However, to me the biggest thing about this offense working vs. not is taking care of the ball. We turn the ball over- we lose. We don't- we typically win.

Explosive plays will determine how much we improve. We must increase that as well.

MaroonFlounder
08-22-2021, 09:24 PM
Ed is 2-2 against State since he arrived at LSU. As long as he is at LSU it will be a tossup most years.

So, the LSU recruiting profile is not factored in?

ED O may not be a great coach, but he's a great motivator.

Jarius
08-22-2021, 09:28 PM

He is 2-2 vs us in the past 4 years. He has new coordinators every year because they are awesome (one time) or because they were not very good for LSU standards (the other 3 times). If You are depending on Ed to hire great coordinators on a yearly basis in order to be good you are going to be on an absolute roller coaster. He literally hired the dumbest DC on planet earth last year. We will see how well the new one does. FPI gives us a 50.9 % chance to win the LSU game this year going into the season. That sounds like a tossup to me.

Todd4State
08-22-2021, 10:37 PM

That only lasts the first drive or two in the first quarter.

He has transformed himself into a CEO coach which is a credit to him. But he is only going to be as good as his coordinators. And if they're Joe Brady good they're going to get hired away before long. It's hard to "hit" on good coordinators every other year or so.

BiscuitEater
08-23-2021, 06:59 AM

So, more like 2 TDs on 2 consecutive possessions, one of which was a 'short field'!

Got it. And thanks for clarifying... that maks sense now.

confucius say
08-23-2021, 10:46 AM

I would argue he underachieves with that recruiting profile. Top 5 recruiter, I think, but not a top 5 team in 2017, 2018, or 2020.

Quaoarsking
08-23-2021, 11:11 AM

And he'd be 1-3 if Moorhead weren't such a disaster. Probably not 0-4

Captain Falcon
08-23-2021, 11:18 AM

Pretty crazy stat when you consider that DiNardo, Saban, and Miles were a combined 20-2 against us.