PDA

View Full Version : So if Chance Lovertich beats out Will Rogers....

CaptainObvious
08-16-2021, 11:17 PM
Will most of you phone in the season?

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 11:49 PM

Ain't happening

Todd4State
08-17-2021, 12:51 AM
I'm sure Abraham will get his shot to win the job when he comes back from his concussion. Although I think the delay will kill Abraham's chances to win the job to open the season.

But to answer the question- no. I as a fan would give Chance an opportunity to prove himself if he wins the job.

Our fans get hung up on things that don't matter sometimes. Like "This guy was a walk-on so he must not be any good".

StateDawg44
08-17-2021, 07:03 AM
Didn't realize we had so many Will Rogers fans instead of MSU fans.

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Some things never change - Death. Taxes. MSU fans fascination with QB2.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 07:26 AM

You didn't see that fascination when we had dak. Like all fanbases that have an average QB, we dream on someone better

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2021, 07:46 AM

Some of y'all are bored.

Johnson85
08-17-2021, 08:01 AM

That's not fair. This is QB3 we're talking about here.

Thick
08-17-2021, 08:13 AM
If any of you don?t know Chance Lovertich, you will be impressed with him as a player. The kid has the ability to run this offense. He?s smart, he?s ultra competitive, he can make the reads and the passes, and he does have D1 experience. Downside?..he?s not as tall as we would prefer our QBs to be. I think we will be fine with our top 3, bc all of them have the ability to get it done.

Captain Falcon
08-17-2021, 08:52 AM
First off, not going to be an issue as long as Rogers stays healthy.

That said, when you consider that Leach's best QB in recent years was an East Carolina transfer with very pedestrian numbers before he got to Wazzu (not to mention a Mississippi kid that State and Ole Miss didn't want), it does seems short sighted to assume that Lovertich wouldn't be any good by default. Maybe he wouldn't, maybe he would, I don't know. But Leach does have a track record of having success with lesser known QBs.

Dak is our only QB in recent memory to not have fans clamoring for the backup, but he was a generational talent for us. I think Fitgerald probably got treated the most unfairly, yes he was limited as a passer but a sizable portion of the fanbase spent three years complaining about him all while he won a bunch of games for us and was one of the more productive QB's in our history.

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 08:57 AM
Chance Lovertich is a good QB who lacks height, which kind of resembles Minshew's problem with getting looks. Lovertich is a gamer and if my memory serves me correctly. His first loss as a starting qb including highschool wasnt until he arrived at Southern Alabama.

msugolf
08-17-2021, 09:14 AM
Let's be honest here. Will is just holding down the job until Sawyer gets up to speed and comfortable. As soon as that happens -- could be mid-season or could be next year -- then we'll see this offense throw the ball downfield and have more explosive plays.

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 09:18 AM
I'm not super familiar with Mike Leach's offense outside of Gardner's year as Washington State and I remember bits and pieces of his year at Tech with Crabtree. The thing I noticed though when watching Washington State was that they didn't throw it down the field a whole lot. I believe his scheme is primarily little dunk passes. If someone with more knowledge could respond that would be nice.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 09:31 AM
I'm not super familiar with Mike Leach's offense outside of Gardner's year as Washington State and I remember bits and pieces of his year at Tech with Crabtree. The thing I noticed though when watching Washington State was that they didn't throw it down the field a whole lot. I believe his scheme is primarily little dunk passes. If someone with more knowledge could respond that would be nice.

Here's last 4 years of his offense yds/att by leading passer...
2020: 5.7 (100th of 100)
2019: 8.8 (27th of 98)
2018: 7.2 (67th of 100)
2017: 6.7 (82nd of 100)

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 09:40 AM
So last year was a couple of yards below average, should we expect it to be much higher than 7 most years?

Maverick91
08-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Chance Lovertich is a good QB who lacks height, which kind of resembles Minshew's problem with getting looks. Lovertich is a gamer and if my memory serves me correctly. His first loss as a starting qb including highschool wasnt until he arrived at Southern Alabama.

Not to be a prick about this, but, it is South Alabama, not Southern Alabama.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2021, 09:45 AM
Here's last 4 years of his offense yds/att by leading passer...
2020: 5.7 (100th of 100)
2019: 8.8 (27th of 98)
2018: 7.2 (67th of 100)
2017: 6.7 (82nd of 100)

What is absolutely crazy about last year's stats is that we are started with 623 yards on 60 attempts against LSU last year. That is how bad the offense was the rest of the season, except Mizzou.

Johnson85
08-17-2021, 09:49 AM

If he has the talent, he will go down field. He does dink and dunk a lot, but that's because those take the place of the run game, not because he doesn't go deep.

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2021, 09:49 AM
So last year was a couple of yards below average, should we expect it to be much higher than 7 most years?

Looking at his Texas Tech and WSU stats - most years were in the 7 range with some in the 6s and very few in the 8s.

MedDawg
08-17-2021, 09:58 AM
That said, when you consider that Leach's best QB in recent years was an East Carolina transfer with very pedestrian numbers before he got to Wazzu (not to mention a Mississippi kid that State and Ole Miss didn't want), it does seems short sighted to assume that Lovertich wouldn't be any good by default. Maybe he wouldn't, maybe he would, I don't know. But Leach does have a track record of having success with lesser known QBs.

And Leach's next QB was Anthony Gordon, an unranked Juco QB who passed for 5,579 yards in his second season (5 total passes his first season when Minshew was starting). Gordon really was unranked as a recruit, not even a 2-star, and apparently WSU/Leach was his only offer.

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Gordon-46044497/junior-college-197381/

msstate7
08-17-2021, 10:03 AM
What is absolutely crazy about last year's stats is that we are started with 623 yards on 60 attempts against LSU last year. That is how bad the offense was the rest of the season, except Mizzou.

Good point.

Although that game didn't affect rogers' stats

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2021, 10:09 AM
Good point.

Although that game didn't affect rogers' stats

Oh - missed that part, lol

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2021, 10:42 AM
Chance isn't beating out Will.

Dawgology
08-17-2021, 11:06 AM
I don?t care who the QB is. Just win

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 11:11 AM
Some of you guys seem to forget that Rogers was a true freshman last year. And working with a brand new offense with the entire team. Without a spring camp or summer workouts. I have my doubts about our scheme but there is no doubt that kid has ability to be special. I would love for somebody to name a better quarterback for Mississippi State as a true freshman running a totally new scheme. Heck he took the job from a supposed "gunslinger" in the pac 10.

CaptainObvious
08-17-2021, 11:12 AM
The most ACCURATE will win the job. This offense requires strong athletic receivers and running backs who can break that solo tackle and make plays in space. Doesn?t matter if the ball is thrown 3 yards behind scrimmage line or 10 yards down field, ML wants escape artists catching a well thrown ball leading the receivers into open range. If Rogers is not accurate he will not be the starter is another guy is more accurate. If he is accurate, he should be the starter.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:16 AM
Some of you guys seem to forget that Rogers was a true freshman last year. And working with a brand new offense with the entire team. I have my doubts about our scheme but there is no doubt that kid has ability to be special. I would love for somebody to name a better quarterback for Mississippi State as a true freshman running a totally new scheme.

Madkin in 1998 was basically equal.
Madkin passer rating: 122.1
Rogers passer rating: 123.5

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 11:21 AM

Did Madkin have to miss summer workouts and spring training? And take over an offense that was completely figured out by opposing DCs? Who had the better Oline. If you are gonna make an argument you got to do better 7. I expect better out of you lol

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:25 AM
Did Madkin have to miss summer workouts and spring training? And take over an offense that was completely figured out by opposing DCs? Who had the better Oline. If you are gonna make an argument you got to do better 7. I expect better out of you lol

Madkin led us to Atlanta as a true freshman. He made some huge plays to beat ark.

I just don't think will is anything more than a place holder till we get a difference maker. Will isn't bad, and he isn't good... just an avg qb. We won't win with an avg QB in this system

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 11:28 AM
It doesn't matter who is our quarterback on day 1. They better be our version of Patrick Mahommes. That is all that matters. Winning football games and looking totally bad ass in every way a QB can while doing it.
I want a buzz around our program. I want our QB to be the obvious Heisman frontrunner from week 1-15. I want him to throw for 6000 yards and run for 1500. I want 100 total touchdowns scored by the QB.
Reasonable, no. But I don't have to be reasonable. I want perfection. I want everyone to be like.....why didn't we get this kid? Why didn't we see this coming?

We could put out there a 300 lb 5'-2" QB, as long as he is a baller that makes the easy plays and the spectacular plays 97% of the time. I don't care. I want a winner.

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 11:29 AM
I dont see how you can make such a bold proclomation with such a small sample size msstate7.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 11:31 AM
Madkin led us to Atlanta as a true freshman. He made some huge plays to beat ark.

I just don't think will is anything more than a place holder till we get a difference maker. Will isn't bad, and he isn't good... just an avg qb. We won't win with an avg QB in this system

So you are saying that as a junior next year he will be no better than average? As you just compared him to one of the best QBs to ever play here?

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 11:31 AM

That is correct. So far I haven't seen him as a difference maker. He didn't show it last year, but that wasn't really his fault. Lots of stuff stacked against him. But from what I have seen this spring and now from what I am hearing from the first scrimmage, he is having issues running our offense against our own team. We need a difference maker. Will may not be that guy.

He will have an opportunity to serve us all a shit burger here in a few weeks, and I hope he does. But we are avoiding the reality based on the evidence we know. He may not be the answer.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 11:34 AM
So you are saying that as a junior next year he will be no better than average? As you just compared him to one of the best QBs to ever play here?

The best QB that never won anything. Doesn't say much.
Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahommes, Johnny Football, Dak, etc.
That is who we should be comparing him to. Every other QB is a bunch of losers that fell short of our ultimate goals.

We need to stop comparing him to our best, and start comparing our players to the best nationwide. Cause that is what it is going to take to compete.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:39 AM
I dont see how you can make such a bold proclomation with such a small sample size msstate7.

Obviously it's just a guess, and I could be totally wrong. I just see a guy with avg (or below) arm strength and avg (or below) athleticism. This can be overcome by really good, quick decision making and outstanding accuracy. Maybe he has this ability.

I wanna see a guy that make a team defend the whole field and make a pass rusher miss.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:39 AM

I will be pretty shocked if he's starting as a junior. If he is, we missed on Sawyer imo

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 11:41 AM
No offense, I love Dak. We never won anything significant with him either with your same thought process

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:43 AM
No offense, I love Dak. We never won anything significant with him either with your same thought process

Dak choked in the Bama game big time. Will will never sniff taking us into Bama as #1

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Until we can put an O-Line that can block better these are going to continue being dreams

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:46 AM
Some of you take criticism of will Rogers way too personal.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Until we can put an O-Line that can block better these are going to continue being dreams

Oline is certainly important, but QB has to help them some. Hell, leach just said he'd like to see will avoid some of the sacks. He could avoid em with the 2 things I said he's lacking in: athleticism and quicker decision making

KOdawg1
08-17-2021, 11:52 AM
We'll see how big of a jump he makes this year. Robertson has way more arm talent but because he came in June, he's way behind. Will seems to be a hard worker and a leader, so I'm hoping he takes a step forward this year. I have concerns about his arm talent and decision making too, but I think he's kinda our option by default this year. Next year will be the real battle.

confucius say
08-17-2021, 11:53 AM
Madkin was a redshirt freshman in 98 right?

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 11:55 AM
The best QB that never won anything. Doesn't say much.
Trevor Lawrence, Tua, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahommes, Johnny Football, Dak, etc.
That is who we should be comparing him to. Every other QB is a bunch of losers that fell short of our ultimate goals.

We need to stop comparing him to our best, and start comparing our players to the best nationwide. Cause that is what it is going to take to compete.

Absolutely one of the worst posts I've ever read on this board. I will never take anything you say seriously after this. It takes more than a quarterback to win national championships. Just because they didn't win it all doesn't make them losers.

FISHDAWG
08-17-2021, 11:56 AM
Oline is certainly important, but QB has to help them some. Hell, leach just said he'd like to see will avoid some of the sacks. He could avoid em with the 2 things I said he's lacking in: athleticism and quicker decision making

Schrader had both of those and we see how that worked out for him ... fwiw- I was pissed that we didn't start Schrader and hated to see him leave. I have faith that Will can and will take hold of this offense

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:57 AM
Madkin was a redshirt freshman in 98 right?

Coulda been

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 11:58 AM
Some of you take criticism of will Rogers way too personal.
Some of us know how to put things into perspective and not just look up stats.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Some of us know how to put things into perspective and not just look up stats.

Maybe so. So you predicting a 4-year starter out of will?

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 12:09 PM

I tend to stay away from making predictions without having ample knowledge of the situation. Like predicting W/L now. I see some things in Will that tell me he can be special. But he has to continue to improve - And I believe he will but to what degree. But this offensive scheme will have to improve as well in my opinion. Midway through this season we will all have a better idea. And if Will Starts as a junior, he will not have a senior season. Any kid that can command the room as a freshman has the ability to be special.

NCDawg
08-17-2021, 01:36 PM

This is the correct answer. If you don't give the QB time to throw, he isn't going to be very productive, no matter who the QB is. The OL has been a problem for State for many years.

FISHDAWG
08-17-2021, 01:50 PM

Last 4 year starter I remember was John Bond .... Even Dak wasn't a 4 year starter.

Maverick91
08-17-2021, 02:06 PM
Obviously it's just a guess, and I could be totally wrong. I just see a guy with avg (or below) arm strength and avg (or below) athleticism. This can be overcome by really good, quick decision making and outstanding accuracy. Maybe he has this ability.

I wanna see a guy that make a team defend the whole field and make a pass rusher miss.

Tom Brady

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2021, 02:06 PM

If I was a betting man, I?d bet that Will is the starter for next three years. As long as Leach is the coach.

NCDawg
08-17-2021, 02:19 PM
If I was a betting man, I?d bet that Will is the starter for next three years. As long as Leach is the coach.

I was impressed with Rogers' accuracy last year. If we can give him time to throw and the receivers can get a little separation, I think he can be very good.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 02:20 PM

That?s true. But he did take us to #1. You are right though. He didn?t win anything of note.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 02:22 PM
This is the correct answer. If you don't give the QB time to throw, he isn't going to be very productive, no matter who the QB is. The OL has been a problem for State for many years.

Yep. But some like Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahommes overcomes OL play. We basically need a Superman back there. Not too much to ask.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Only difference was that Dak took us to where we need to be. A threat to win every game we play. The talk of the nation. People know MSU because of Dak. He single handily upped the property values in Starkville. Seriously, dude changed the town. Imagine if we had 12 straight years of Dak type of player production and leadership on the field.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Either way, I am looking for 7k passing yards and 1500 rushing out of one guy. As close as we can get to it. Do it, and we win.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 02:29 PM
I was impressed with Rogers' accuracy last year. If we can give him time to throw and the receivers can get a little separation, I think he can be very good.

Sorta my point... surround him with better players, and they'll lift him up. With this offense, we need a qb that will lift up those around him

BrunswickDawg
08-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Either way, I am looking for 7k passing yards and 1500 rushing out of one guy. As close as we can get to it. Do it, and we win.

So 1200 yards more in a season than the current CFB record? along with breaking MSU's single season rushing record by a couple of hundred yards? You are on crack.

dawgman15
08-17-2021, 02:39 PM

I think if we brought back Tyson Lee and put him in this offense he could easily achieve those numbers

RiverCityDawg
08-17-2021, 02:52 PM

Well, why just 7000 and 1500 if were asking for stupid things that have no chance of happening? How about 10,000 and 3,000? Or how bout 5 miles and 2 miles?

How about Tom Brady and Cam Newton have a love child, we get in a time machine travel to the future to when that child is 18, bring her back (why not a "her"?) and she throw, run AND catch every TD pass that we score for 3 years straight before she goes to the NFL to be the star player of the Patriots while also being commissioner of the NFL and President of the United States all at the same time?

I mean why not, right?? Do it, and we win.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2021, 02:57 PM

I'd take that bet.

CaptainObvious
08-17-2021, 04:34 PM

He was a true freshman cast into the top spot because all eggs were placed in the basket of a Grad Transfer who ended up having PTSD by the second game.

He was somewhat accurate on the 10 yard throws to a stationary receiver and to Walley on the drag route across the middle. And he threw a few dimes to our athletic receivers in the 20-25 yard range.

I was more concerned about how many times he threw behind or high to a back leaking out into the flat that made them adjust to catch it giving the DB or LB time to close and hold them to no gain or a 2 or 3 yard gain. Same with the quick pass out on the edge with a WR in front to block. He was supposed to lead them into the pass giving them forward motion to escape an arm tackle. But instead he threw it where they were standing or high.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 04:51 PM
Yep. But some like Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahommes overcomes OL play. We basically need a Superman back there. Not too much to ask.

Neither one of those guys was good enough to overcome bad oline play. Neither one of those teams finished anywhere in the national polls very high. Apparently you don't remember us demolishing Lamar in a bowl game.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 04:53 PM
I'd take that bet.
Leave early or get beat out?

msstate7
08-17-2021, 05:18 PM
Football outsiders ranked our oline pretty high...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2020

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:07 PM

That is a done deal barring an injury. No matter how much some of yall dont want it. Robertson is not beating Will unless he is the 2nd coming. He is not in the same league as of now. This is Wills team. Ask them

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:08 PM

You are smarter than that.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 07:08 PM
That is a done deal barring an injury. No matter how much some of yall dont want it. Robertson is not beating Will unless he is the 2nd coming. He is not in the same league as of now. This is Wills team. Ask them

Bucky they started picking on Will when you were at football practice so I had to step in and help you out LOL

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:10 PM

I will make a posting ban bet with you that Robertson never takes his spot. Right now

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Also, Matt Wyatt, who most agree is the only expert we have on football in the media, made a list of the 5 most important guys to not get injured this season. Maybe you guys should listen to that take and who was numero uno.

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:11 PM
Bucky they started picking on Will when you were at football practice so I had to step in and help you out LOL

Haha I appreciate that. Will doesnt need anyone to anyone to fight his battles for him.

I am just telling yall, he is a winner. Period. Winners win.

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:12 PM
I feel more confident in saying that Robertson starts in Dudy Noble before he starts over number 2

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2021, 07:15 PM
Neither one of those guys was good enough to overcome bad oline play. Neither one of those teams finished anywhere in the national polls very high. Apparently you don't remember us demolishing Lamar in a bowl game.

I remember Lamar winning a heisman. I will take a heisman winner. Both elevated their teams higher than we have been outside of our temporary run to number 1.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 07:19 PM
I remember Lamar winning a heisman. I will take a heisman winner. Both elevated their teams higher than we have been outside of our temporary run to number 1.

Lamar would have never won that playing against SEC defenses every week. Perspective.

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 07:20 PM
Haha I appreciate that. Will doesnt need anyone to anyone to fight his battles for him.

I agree 100%. I just can't believe the guys forgetting that he was a true freshman and not giving him some grace to improve.

msstate7
08-17-2021, 07:33 PM
I will make a posting ban bet with you that Robertson never takes his spot. Right now

Done.

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2021, 07:37 PM
Done.

Bet

Jarius
08-17-2021, 08:57 PM
Please make a different bet. Both of you are solid posters that bring quality to the board.

Tripp McNeely
08-17-2021, 09:03 PM
Chance isn't beating out Will.

I really dont think its the competition that its being made out to be

Cowbell
08-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Please make a different bet. Both of you are solid posters that bring quality to the board.

I second this

TNDawg35
08-18-2021, 12:09 AM

"Here's the deal Dick, Im the best there is. Plain and Simple. I mean I wake up every morning and I piss Excellence."

DeltaChicagoDog
08-18-2021, 01:50 AM

For real. The board already lost Cooter recently and with Shotgun now a shell of his/her former posting self, losing one of you two is detrimental to the overall health and readability of the board. Really wish yall'd figure something else out.

preachermatt83
08-18-2021, 01:55 AM
For real. The board already lost Cooter recently and with Shotgun now a shell of his/her former posting self, losing one of you two is detrimental to the overall health and readability of the board. Really wish yall'd figure something else out.

What happened to cooter?

PGHBulldogBG
08-18-2021, 06:02 AM
Not saying I don?t think Rogers doesn?t have the potential to be a really good tenured QB, but if Sawyer is so far behind and isn?t making progress that is bad news. That is a big whiff because he was such a highly rated recruit.

Jarius
08-18-2021, 06:39 AM
Not saying I don?t think Rogers doesn?t have the potential to be a really good tenured QB, but if Sawyer is so far behind and isn?t making progress that is bad news. That is a big whiff because he was such a highly rated recruit.

Matt Wyatt, Brian Hadad, and Robbie Faulk have all said just this week that Sawyer has practiced well lately and they believe if he were here in spring that he would be competing for the starting job right now. Will is clearly the guy right now Per them, but I don’t believe Sawyer is practicing poorly for a true freshman that didn’t get here until 2 months ago.

Cowbell
08-18-2021, 06:57 AM
What happened to cooter?

He was ragging on pitching decisions and said it would cost us a natty. Said I think a 6 month ban if we actually won it because our pitching decisions were so bad. Fortunately he was wrong and it's pretty funny but wish he would let it go and come back on. He's a man of his word it seems.

SilentSteel16
08-18-2021, 09:30 AM
Well I will say this, if it ruffled some feathers for you then maybe you were my intended audience. If Rogers hold the job, which I believe and hope he will, GREAT. A kid who competed last year against SEC ONLY defenses has identical numbers to Madkin who played against teams like Vandy,SCar, ETSU and Alabama is not even comparable. Hell Arkansa was ranked in top 5. Not to mention the speed today is totally different than average team speed in 98. Fast will always be fast but overall numbers athletes are more numerous and consistent today than in 98.

As far as Cooter and others criticizing Lem during season on pitching usage, I think you just sat through a Master level class on pitching management. It is a closed case now, we are all fans and entitled to our opinions and frustrations BUT back off the coaches and players. These guys and kids are being paid to do something next to non of you have done or will ever do. Grab your popcorn and beer sit down and shut up. Enjoy the sports while we still can. I truly believe amateur athletics is a thing of the past. Enjoy it while it lasts and HAIL STATE

msstate7
08-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Well I will say this, if it ruffled some feathers for you then maybe you were my intended audience. If Rogers hold the job, which I believe and hope he will, GREAT. A kid who competed last year against SEC ONLY defenses has identical numbers to Madkin who played against teams like Vandy,SCar, ETSU and Alabama is not even comparable. Hell Arkansa was ranked in top 5. Not to mention the speed today is totally different than average team speed in 98. Fast will always be fast but overall numbers athletes are more numerous and consistent today than in 98.

As far as Cooter and others criticizing Lem during season on pitching usage, I think you just sat through a Master level class on pitching management. It is a closed case now, we are all fans and entitled to our opinions and frustrations BUT back off the coaches and players. These guys and kids are being paid to do something next to non of you have done or will ever do. Grab your popcorn and beer sit down and shut up. Enjoy the sports while we still can. I truly believe amateur athletics is a thing of the past. Enjoy it while it lasts and HAIL STATE

You're right different era...
Avg sec passer rating in 1998: 119.5
Avg sec passer rating in 2020: 145.5

So, madkin was slightly above avg, and will was well below.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/1998-passing.html

Strange that you guys take comparing will to madkin as an insult. Why you guys shitting on the only qb we've had that played in Atlanta?

Maverick91
08-18-2021, 10:37 AM
He was ragging on pitching decisions and said it would cost us a natty. Said I think a 6 month ban if we actually won it because our pitching decisions were so bad. Fortunately he was wrong and it's pretty funny but wish he would let it go and come back on. He's a man of his word it seems.

I have nothing but respect for that. Super annoying, but respect.

Maverick91
08-18-2021, 10:40 AM

Strange that you guys take comparing will to madkin as an insult. Why you guys shitting on the only qb we've had that played in Atlanta?

That '41 team would have gone to Atlanta and won if the war wasn't going on, and well, if we had a SEC Championship game.

But, I get your point.

msstate7
08-18-2021, 10:54 AM

I did this incorrectly. Mean would be a much better picture of what's the average passer rating for each year was. Maybe someone will work that out for me, busy

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-18-2021, 11:22 AM

I'll say this. We are in FARRRRRR better shape at QB than our rivals. If Golden Corrall goes down they are royally f******

SilentSteel16
08-18-2021, 11:28 AM
So what would you want to be better stat wise? I am not following your logic. Madkin had a much better situation in 98 than Rogers had last year, would you agree with that? Here are the stats, I am bored and off for next 3 weeks so I had the time. Madkin in 12 games including crappy teams such as Alabama, ETSU etc.. 96 of 199 completion percentage of 48.2 for 1532 yds with a passer rating of 122.1

Rogers in 9 games not even all started was 239 for 346 for 1976 yds and 69.1 completion percentage with a passer rating 123.5

Not crapping on what Wayne did, it was great but that team was built for running and the defense was pretty good too. You are arguing against a kid that was a true freshman with no fall or real practice time that was not even getting first team reps until week 3, playing in a new system with which the surrounding players were not even remotely recruited for because we were a run first, second and sometimes 3rd down team. Not to mention only playing SEC teams that were told just drop 5 yds back and sit in this zone.

Will Rogers is a much better throwing win than Madkin ever was and he is just getting his feet under him. Sawyer I think will be really good, maybe even better long term but right now this year, Rogers is the best option going forward.

Anyone that is saying dofferent is just being a contrarian. Or troll.

Cowbell
08-18-2021, 12:11 PM

I didn't take it as an insult. I took it as you proving my point.

Maverick91
08-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Whatever happens at least Lovertich is a legacy, his granddad was like a three sport guy.

Hot Rock
08-18-2021, 02:37 PM

Agreed, ban bets should be banned or at least a duration of no longer than a week or something. I disagree with a bunch of guys on this message board but I don't want all yes men either.

Just agree to disagree and bet a steak dinner or something.

Lord McBuckethead
08-18-2021, 04:50 PM
at least make it for a month or something.

Lord McBuckethead
08-18-2021, 04:53 PM
I just want a QB that is the new standard for QBs in our league for the next 20 years. I want everyone to be compared to him.

Turfdawg67
08-18-2021, 05:07 PM
I did this incorrectly. Mean would be a much better picture of what's the average passer rating for each year was. Maybe someone will work that out for me, busy

Too busy for post 61,001... lolz.

Offshore Dawg
08-19-2021, 01:11 PM
I don?t care who the QB is. Just win

this

Bothrops
08-19-2021, 06:25 PM
Jack Abraham, did he die?

Coach34
08-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Jack Abraham, did he die?

Concussions have taken their toll. He is working for a GA spot here or somewhere next season at this point is the rumor

Cowbell
08-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Concussions have taken their toll. He is working for a GA spot here or somewhere next season at this point is the rumor

I hate that for him. Glad he is being smart about and hope he is blessed with a spot