PDA

View Full Version : O-line

preachermatt83
08-14-2021, 09:21 PM
Our o-line better figure some crap out and in a hurry. They were atrocious in today?s scrimmage.

BayouDawg
08-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Yea Leach was not impressed according to his post scrimmage presser. Says they got to get tougher and that some of them think they are better than they really are.
Hopefully the second scrimmage shows improvement.

R2Dawg
08-14-2021, 09:46 PM
Hah, so much for all that preseason wool and big talk we were hearing.

BayouDawg
08-14-2021, 10:02 PM

Well it is the first scrimmage. I am hoping they continue to improve which is what practice is generally for. Definitely not rooting for them to suck.

HancockCountyDog
08-14-2021, 10:35 PM

It?s early, we should be ok up front.

Plus our DL should be solid.

parabrave
08-15-2021, 12:58 AM
Maybe a 3 yd split instead of a 5 yard one might help/

Todd4State
08-15-2021, 02:47 AM

Or maybe they could actually figure out who to block like every other football team above Pee Wee league?

vindastra
08-15-2021, 03:33 AM
If they are still trying to figure things out, this season is toast.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-15-2021, 06:35 AM
I don't get it. Getting beat by a better athlete is one thing, but not knowing assignments? Every OL leach has had elsewhere knew their jobs, as does 95% of OL's HS and up. I'd say it's bad coaching, but Miller has been with leach and did a great job coaching at WSU. Last year I said it was because the system was new, but that's not an excuse anymore.

There's 3 down lineman, and between 0-3 potential blitzers. Block the guy in front of you, if your side gets overloaded you might be handing off your guy and picking up someone else. The RB will either be wide open due to LBs blitzing or take the guy off the edge. It's the simplest possible blocking scheme that's been mentally grasped by every OL elsewhere and it's taught by the same coaches.

Either our OL are literally lower IQ than everyone elses, or Miller is phoning it in. I don't see how there can be a 3rd option when it comes to mental mistakes

R2Dawg
08-15-2021, 07:53 AM
Well it is the first scrimmage. I am hoping they continue to improve which is what practice is generally for. Definitely not rooting for them to suck.

Duh, everyone knows what time a year it is. Do you really think anyone on here or any MSU fan is rooting for us to suck? It is the opposite, we are tired of sucking and want better, competitive football again.

I'm not saying we won't be just threads the other day saying big stuff about every position on our team and seeing things we haven't seen in a long time (all good) and then a report like this.

Need to pump the brakes on the Leach gonna blow it open this year stuff. I hope he does but I ain't seen nothing yet telling me it will be any different.

Dawgfan77
08-15-2021, 08:29 AM
Our o-line better figure some crap out and in a hurry. They were atrocious in today?s scrimmage.

Spoken like someone who was there but wasn't there.... am I right??

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 08:56 AM
It's a scrimmage game. Some of y'all just love being miserable.

99jc
08-15-2021, 08:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJH5tBkBtJA

1bigdawg
08-15-2021, 09:35 AM
Either our OL are literally lower IQ than everyone elses, or Miller is phoning it in. I don't see how there can be a 3rd option when it comes to mental mistakes

The third option is the QB is slow on his reads and not getting the ball out.

msstate7
08-15-2021, 09:58 AM
The third option is the QB is slow on his reads and not getting the ball out.

The interview seems to elude to that some. Something to the effect of he'd (leach) would like to see will avoid some of those sacks

TheLostDawg
08-15-2021, 11:52 AM
I like how Leach is blunt. I'm sure that could irritate players at times but hopefully he's got the group now that embraces it and tries to improve upon things instead of getting mad and quitting.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2021, 12:24 PM

bingo, Leach's refusal to change to traditional splits puts our linemen in very difficult 1 on 1 matchups against athletic D-linemen.

Cowbell
08-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Or maybe they could actually figure out who to block like every other football team above Pee Wee league?
Or we could just figure out that giving Dlineman four more yards to work with (2 on each side) is a disadvantage like every other successful SEC coach has.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Duh, everyone knows what time a year it is. Do you really think anyone on here or any MSU fan is rooting for us to suck? It is the opposite, we are tired of sucking and want better, competitive football again.

I'm not saying we won't be just threads the other day saying big stuff about every position on our team and seeing things we haven't seen in a long time (all good) and then a report like this.

Need to pump the brakes on the Leach gonna blow it open this year stuff. I hope he does but I ain't seen nothing yet telling me it will be any different.

Im pretty sure most reasonable people are thinking between 6 and 8 wins. Thats hardly blowing it up. Its year 2 and nobody thinks we will compete for the west anytime soon. So maybe pump the breaks that we gonna suck too?

HoopsDawg
08-15-2021, 03:03 PM
Im pretty sure most reasonable people are thinking between 6 and 8 wins. Thats hardly blowing it up. Its year 2 and nobody thinks we will compete for the west anytime soon. So maybe pump the breaks that we gonna suck too?

8 wins would mean that Leach is a hell of a coach b/c I don't see 8 wins. We would have to win every game we are supposed to win plus 3 toss up games.

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2021, 03:46 PM
8 wins would mean that Leach is a hell of a coach b/c I don't see 8 wins. We would have to win every game we are supposed to win plus 3 toss up games.

What is frustrating is that the schedule is so nice this year. Memphis is down and will be a nice road W. We get Vandy, another easy W. La Tech and FCS game will both be blowouts. Auburn is not good. The bears can't play defense. LSU is rebuilding. We are more talented than Arkansas. We should expect to beat Kentucky at home every time.

The only for sure losses are A&M and Bama.

The schedule sets up nicely for 8-9 win season, we just need to have our shit together on offense, because the defense is going to be good.

R2Dawg
08-15-2021, 03:59 PM
What is frustrating is that the schedule is so nice this year. Memphis is down and will be a nice road W. We get Vandy, another easy W. La Tech and FCS game will both be blowouts. Auburn is not good. The bears can't play defense. LSU is rebuilding. We are more talented than Arkansas. We should expect to beat Kentucky at home every time.

The schedule sets up nicely for 8-9 win season, we just need to have our shit together on offense, because the defense is going to be good.

So true, this is why not winning 6-8 this year in inexcusable. Less than 6 and we made the wrong hire.

msstate7
08-15-2021, 04:03 PM

Maybe. Auburn, LSU, ark, and OM are probably saying the same thing about us

R2Dawg
08-15-2021, 04:06 PM

Dude never said we are gonna suck. I ain't going 100mph on Leach is greatest ever. It is those that think that that need to pump the brakes. I am just going slow until it is safe to speed up. We got idiots driving 90 in a 35 right now on Leach. 6 wins is a gimmie and 8 is not hard if he does anything.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 04:14 PM
Dude never said we are gonna suck. I ain't going 100mph on Leach is greatest ever. It is those that think that that need to pump the brakes. I am just going slow until it is safe to speed up. We got idiots driving 90 in a 35 right now on Leach. 6 wins is a gimmie and 8 is not hard if he does anything.

Understood. Same here. I personally like Leach but it is far from settled whether he will succeed or not. I think he will but I could be very wrong.

Tripp McNeely
08-15-2021, 04:16 PM

Why is A&M a for sure loss? They don?t have a QB.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 04:19 PM

Yea I am leaning more toward the 6 and 7 win range. Probably more towards 6. You could talk me into 8 or 5 as well. At least under Leach we wont be soft like we were under forehead. Hes won at his 2 previous stops so hopefully he can make it 3.

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 04:52 PM

If we suck as bad you think we do then Leach should be fired after season 2 like Moorhead.

Oh yeah, Leach is a hell of coach. He's proven it for over 20 years.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2021, 07:24 PM
If we suck as bad you think we do then Leach should be fired after season 2 like Moorhead.

Oh yeah, Leach is a hell of coach. He's proven it for over 20 years.

where did I say we suck? I said it's going to be tough to win 8 games.

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2021, 09:31 PM
where did I say we suck? I said it's going to be tough to win 8 games.

With the 4 OOC wins and Vandy, we only need 3 wins from : Kentucky, bears, Arkansas, LSU, AU.

That is doable.

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 09:53 PM
With the 4 OOC wins and Vandy, we only need 3 wins from : Kentucky, bears, Arkansas, LSU, AU.

That is doable.

It is very doable.

LSU has a DC/OC that are virgins on the college level. Harsin is going to realize the Mountain West was not the SEC. OM's defense might be improved enough to be mediocre instead of putrid. Kentucky and Arkansas will be solid teams but our defense will give our offense a good chance to win these.

Of course we could lose all of them and look like horse shit but I'm gonna keep looking on the sunny side.

preachermatt83
08-15-2021, 09:55 PM
Spoken like someone who was there but wasn't there.... am I right??

Lol. I love your assumption. I am passing along info from a media member that was there that I had dinner with. Why be a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk?

Cowbell
08-15-2021, 10:15 PM
Lol. I love your assumption. I am passing along info from a media member that was there that I had dinner with. Why be a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk?

Well he was right - and stated it as your opinion instead of saying "you heard they were atrocious". We only have one media member that really understands football.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-15-2021, 10:47 PM
Well he was right - and stated it as your opinion instead of saying "you heard they were atrocious". We only have one media member that really understands football.

Matt Wyatt

Captain Falcon
08-15-2021, 11:30 PM
Why is A&M a for sure loss? They don?t have a QB.

They return just about everything else though. Great running game, good receiving core, and return a lot from a good defense. And it?s not like Mond was a world beater. If they get QB figured out they might win the West. Either way I think that will be incredibly tough on the road, I expect them to be one of the best 2-3 teams in the league.

But other than A&M and Bama I don?t know that there are any other sure losses at this point.

Bothrops
08-15-2021, 11:51 PM

That is doable.

We have to take advantage of getting Kentucky at home. Vandy almost whipped us last year, because we zipped our dick up in the zipper, and they weren't any good. Auburn will have to be absolute trash for us to win down there, which is unlikely but possible, and Arkansas has our game circled as a must win and think they are better than us. LSU has the talent on defense to keep us off the board almost entirely and will be playing to hurt us. Ole Miss will likely be favored, unless we surprise this year. Of course that outlook can change some if Rogers and the OL make a big jump as a cohesive unit by game two. If not, 6-6 is the ice cream of the future.

Todd4State
08-16-2021, 02:15 AM
They return just about everything else though. Great running game, good receiving core, and return a lot from a good defense. And it?s not like Mond was a world beater. If they get QB figured out they might win the West. Either way I think that will be incredibly tough on the road, I expect them to be one of the best 2-3 teams in the league.

But other than A&M and Bama I don?t know that there are any other sure losses at this point.

Having a freshman QB is scary in this league.

Dawgfan77
08-16-2021, 06:21 AM
Well you didn't got to practice so I was right... and just cause you ate dinner and read and message board report doesn't mean you had dinner with a media member.
I'm not a jerk but I hate when people come on here and put out first person information like they were actually at practice.
So basically I'm calling you out for your dishonesty... preach on brother!

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 07:05 AM
Matt Wyatt

Yes sir

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 07:06 AM
Matt Wyatt
Any word on Jordan Davis?

Captain Falcon
08-16-2021, 08:42 AM
Having a freshman QB is scary in this league.

Not disagreeing with you there, though King (who is the assumed starter at this point) at least is not a true freshman. He did play a tiny amount last year. Their offensive style is such that they aren't heavily dependent on great QB play to be really good. They have probably the best RB stable in the league and played very much like a ball control offense last year. Won a lot of games with Mond pretty much serving as a game manager. If the new QB can come in and do that effectively, they should be really good again. I think Jimbo is an excellent coach, not sure what happened toward the end at FSU but appears to have elevated A&M above what they were under Sumlin. I think it is a matter of time before they make it to Atlanta.

PMDawg
08-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Well you didn't got to practice so I was right... and just cause you ate dinner and read and message board report doesn't mean you had dinner with a media member.
I'm not a jerk but I hate when people come on here and put out first person information like they were actually at practice.

Preachermatt - many of your posts on this site end up reflecting negatively on Christianity. Either change your username, or hold yourself to a higher standard.

HancockCountyDog
08-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Any word on Jordan Davis?

This is is the only thing that matters right now. Would be a big blow to what I think will be a strength of the team. This should be everyone's primary concern.

MaroonFlounder
08-16-2021, 11:23 AM

That is doable.

You're assuming a win vs. NC State? They are a VERY GOOD TEAM.

99jc
08-16-2021, 11:54 AM
Preachermatt - many of your posts on this site end up reflecting negatively on Christianity. Either change your username, or hold yourself to a higher standard.

Say What!

Homedawg
08-16-2021, 11:55 AM
Matt Wyatt

This^

BayouDawg
08-16-2021, 12:32 PM

A replay of their game against Pitt from last year was on yesterday. I watched a good bit of it. I think that is a winnable game but its not a given.

R2Dawg
08-16-2021, 08:25 PM

Not sure what he preaches but everyone is preaching something.

preachermatt83
08-16-2021, 08:35 PM

Lol. There was nothing close to dishonesty.

preachermatt83
08-16-2021, 08:36 PM

How has anything I’ve said on this thread done that? Good grief.

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 09:45 PM
How has anything I?ve said on this thread done that? Good grief.

You're opening post is a prime example for bearing false witness

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 09:47 PM

Also, you need to go check out Matt Wyatts podcast from today and compare his opinion of the line to your buddies. He said they were inconsistent but not bad. With flashes of greatness in between.

MaroonFlounder
08-16-2021, 09:53 PM
Sounds like Albert Reese should START as a Freshman if he was getting the best of Jordan Davis, and pancaked him no less

Lord McBuckethead
08-16-2021, 11:05 PM
I don?t see aTm as a for sure loss.

Lord McBuckethead
08-16-2021, 11:07 PM
I wouldn?t say ?very? good team. They are not as good as Auburn or Kentucky.

Lord McBuckethead
08-16-2021, 11:11 PM
Not disagreeing with you there, though King (who is the assumed starter at this point) at least is not a true freshman. He did play a tiny amount last year. Their offensive style is such that they aren't heavily dependent on great QB play to be really good. They have probably the best RB stable in the league and played very much like a ball control offense last year. Won a lot of games with Mond pretty much serving as a game manager. If the new QB can come in and do that effectively, they should be really good again. I think Jimbo is an excellent coach, not sure what happened toward the end at FSU but appears to have elevated A&M above what they were under Sumlin. I think it is a matter of time before they make it to Atlanta.

Not as long as Saban is in their way. And they were not very good last year with a 7th year senior Mond. Jimbo at least knew not to leave it up to Mond to win a game. Ever notice how he, on about 80% of their close games completely changed his late game play calls to eliminate Mond as a factor. Dude was severely overhyped.

Dawgfan77
08-17-2021, 06:22 AM
Last post to you from me on this preach but here's the deal. You come on here and post something like you were at practice, which I called you out and said you weren't. I was correct. You then come back with a rebuttal that you had dinner with a media member that night to kinda cover your tracks. Which you did not have dinner with a media member. Once again I was correct.
So I would say a lot of false witness and dishonesty in your post.

Coach34
08-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Not as long as Saban is in their way. And they were not very good last year with a 7th year senior Mond. Jimbo at least knew not to leave it up to Mond to win a game. Ever notice how he, on about 80% of their close games completely changed his late game play calls to eliminate Mond as a factor. Dude was severely overhyped.

A&M finished 4th in the country and returns quite a few starters. Yes they will have a new QB but should have a very good running game to help take some pressure off the QB position. They likely finished top 12 in the country in 2021. We may pull an upset somehow but they are better than we are

Hot Rock
08-17-2021, 10:22 AM
Last post to you from me on this preach but here's the deal. You come on here and post something like you were at practice, which I called you out and said you weren't. I was correct. You then come back with a rebuttal that you had dinner with a media member that night to kinda cover your tracks. Which you did not have dinner with a media member. Once again I was correct.

Well preacher? You just lost your witness over a message board post? If you lie about simple stuff like this, what in the world are you lying about when it matters.

MaroonFlounder
08-17-2021, 11:49 AM
Well preacher? You just lost your witness over a message board post? If you lie about simple stuff like this, what in the world are you lying about when it matters.

Who are you to judge?

He's probably just trolling you guys because he knows how you all act. What does anything on this forum have to do with his level of faith or his credibility as a man of the word?

Extendedcab
08-17-2021, 12:40 PM
Also, you need to go check out Matt Wyatts podcast from today and compare his opinion of the line to your buddies. He said they were inconsistent but not bad. With flashes of greatness in between.

Just sounds like a discrepancy in opinion in Matt Wyatts interpretation (glass half full person) and PreacherMatt's buddies (glass half empty). Everybody on this board has opinions and most of them disagree on one or more topics. Why is this a big deal? It is not! It is a nothing burger! Move on!

Hot Rock
08-17-2021, 01:43 PM
Who are you to judge?

He's probably just trolling you guys because he knows how you all act. What does anything on this forum have to do with his level of faith or his credibility as a man of the word?

The Bible?s command that we not judge others does not mean we cannot show discernment. Immediately after Jesus says, ?Do not judge,? He says, ?Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs? (Matthew 7:6). A little later in the same sermon, He says, ?Watch out for false prophets. . . . By their fruit you will recognize them? (verses 15?16). How are we to discern who are the ?dogs? and ?pigs? and ?false prophets? unless we have the ability to make a judgment call on doctrines and deeds? Jesus is giving us permission to tell right from wrong.

TrapGame
08-17-2021, 02:45 PM
Just sounds like a discrepancy in opinion in Matt Wyatts interpretation (glass half full person) and PreacherMatt's buddies (glass half empty). Everybody on this board has opinions and most of them disagree on one or more topics. Why is this a big deal? It is not! It is a nothing burger! Move on!

Yeah, but I'll take Matt's opinion over Preacher's dinner date any day.

preachermatt83
08-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but I'll take Matt's opinion over Preacher's dinner date any day.

Lol. Touch?. I laughed way too hard at this.

preachermatt83
08-17-2021, 08:48 PM
Why the question mark instead of my e apostrophe??

preachermatt83
08-17-2021, 08:52 PM

I have no idea why anyone would assume from my op that I was at practice. How could I have been? Don?t blame me for faulty logic. And yes, I had dinner in Louisville with a media member who was at practice. Just based on what he was saying, our o-line is not where it needs to be. I do think however we will get there. Im the biggest leach supported im America. I?ve been his fan since day one in Lubbock. I wanted to hire him when we hired croom. I apologize if my post rubbed you the wrong way.

preachermatt83
09-04-2021, 04:23 PM

Hmmmm

Homedawg
09-04-2021, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm

You were just being negative..... ****

HoopsDawg
09-04-2021, 06:05 PM
bingo, Leach's refusal to change to traditional splits puts our linemen in very difficult 1 on 1 matchups against athletic D-linemen.

Leach changed nothing