PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage

BayouDawg
08-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Anyone know what time the team scrimmage is today?

Bass Chaser
08-14-2021, 02:27 PM
2:15

BayouDawg
08-14-2021, 02:53 PM
2:15

Thanks. Hopefully some good reports. Media probably isn?t allowed though.

TheLostDawg
08-15-2021, 01:57 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/how-mississippi-states-qbs-fared-in-saturdays-scrimmage/

Some comments about the QB

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 02:00 PM
Not great numbers from will. Hovering under 5 yards per attempt again.
Im assuming will went against the first team and lovertich went against the second?

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 02:06 PM
Not great numbers from will. Hovering under 5 yards per attempt again.
Im assuming will went against the first team and lovertich went against the second?

Yep, 1s vs 1s/2s vs 2s.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 02:10 PM
Yep, 1s vs 1s/2s vs 2s.

There were several times last year that we ran a smash concept and it looked like the safety was shallow enough we could have gone with the corner route but will took the hitch route instead. Granted this was from watching on tv so i could have missed another defensive back playing the corner.
But I would like to see will push the ball downfield a little more.

parabrave
08-15-2021, 02:44 PM
A 5 yard ATT AVG is pitiful. I know its only a Scrimmage but dammit they better start pushing that ball downfield.

R2Dawg
08-15-2021, 04:09 PM
A 5 yard ATT AVG is pitiful. I know its only a Scrimmage but dammit they better start pushing that ball downfield.

I said that after spring game and everyone said oh don't read into anything in spring. Well its few weeks away and guess what, all we got is a 5 yd pass against SEC Ds. Same ole same ole. You practice how you play. This is who we are. I hope I'm wrong but the writing on the wall don't look good.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 04:11 PM
I said that after spring game and everyone said oh don't read into anything in spring. Well its few weeks away and guess what, all we got is a 5 yd pass against SEC Ds. Same ole same ole. You practice how you play. This is who we are. I hope I'm wrong but the writing on the wall don't look good.

It does not bode well. Hopefully it ends up better than this.

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 04:45 PM

And Lovertitch and the offensive 2s shredded the 2s on defense. Had better touch on his passes from what I've heard. So what? Let's actually watch a game before we start freaking out. If La Tech's defense gives our starting OL and QB serious problems then I'll be right there with you.

There were plenty of spring games and scrimmages under Mullen we thought we'd be hell on wheels. And then we were barely mediocre when the season started.

I'll admit I'm a sunshine pumper around here but I don't think we win more than 8 games. That's our ceiling. I think the offense will be good enough for 8 wins b/c our defense will be solid enough to keep us in it.

R2Dawg
08-15-2021, 05:01 PM
And Lovertitch and the offensive 2s shredded the 2s on defense. Had better touch on his passes from what I've heard. So what? Let's actually watch a game before we start freaking out. If La Tech's defense gives our starting OL and QB serious problems then I'll be right there with you.

There were plenty of spring games and scrimmages under Mullen we thought we'd be hell on wheels. And then we were barely mediocre when the season started.

I'll admit I'm a sunshine pumper around here but I don't think we win more than 8 games. That's our ceiling. I think the offense will be good enough for 8 wins b/c our defense will be solid enough to keep us in it.

Agree, we can win 8 games. We could also only win 3-5 as well. We will know what we got after this year.

Arnett is the difference maker with our D. Not sure Leach has had a D as talented as he has here at MSU consistently. If Leach stuff is gonna work we win 7-8 this year. If it don't, 3-5 is it.

MetEdDawg
08-15-2021, 05:04 PM
The concern I have is that SEC defenses already have the template on how to beat us.

So the question is how much better can we execute because we are going to see very few blitzes this year. Teams are going to force us to kill them by 1,000 cuts.

Anyone that does anything different is stupid because until Leach shows a higher propensity to effectively run the ball and make people tackle athletes in space, why would you change?

Make us score on 11 play drives and force us to execute an 80 yard drive that way.

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 05:17 PM
According to Hadad lovertich was in for around twice the plays that Rogers was. So that makes me less concerned with the stats. Said there were 7 sacks but at least 3 of those would not have been during an actual game. Did not comment on the o line a whole lot so he must not have thought they overly horrific or impressive. Running backs averaged around 8 yards per reception. Some good running plays mixed in.

msstate7
08-15-2021, 05:23 PM
Is our defense rushing 3 and dropping 8 in practice?

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 05:27 PM
Is our defense rushing 3 and dropping 8 in practice?

No they ran their normal defense yesterday with a lot of blitzing and man to man. They expect to go into drop 8 this week during closed practices

msstate7
08-15-2021, 05:47 PM
No they ran their normal defense yesterday with a lot of blitzing and man to man. They expect to go into drop 8 this week during closed practices

Thanks. Just wondering how you balance helping the offense with that type of defense without hurting your defense with limited practice time

Coach34
08-15-2021, 05:53 PM
Thanks. Just wondering how you balance helping the offense with that type of defense without hurting your defense with limited practice time

Every defense has a 3-8 package for your 3rd and 20-plus situations. So our D can work on that while helping the O. After another week tho there won’t be much 1’s vs 1’s anymore. It will just be a few periods per week once we get into game prep.

confucius say
08-15-2021, 06:13 PM

8 wins? If we go 8-4 leach should be in consideration for coach of the year. Everybody would take that right now.

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 06:36 PM
8 wins? If we go 8-4 leach should be in consideration for coach of the year. Everybody would take that right now.

Our ceiling is 8 wins. I'm not guaranteeing 8 wins. And we will only reach 8 wins with our defense causing turnovers and getting 3 and outs.

msstate7
08-15-2021, 06:37 PM
Read on SPS that Jordan Davis is out for season. If true, big blow

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 06:39 PM

Dang. I heard he walked off the field on his own power. Must?ve been an ACL if it turns out to be true

CaptainObvious
08-15-2021, 09:02 PM
Yep, 1s vs 1s/2s vs 2s.

So Lovertich was behind our #2 O-Line making plays against the defense that has the best depth on the team? Those numbers sound pretty good. Wonder what he could do running the 1st unit against the #2 defense?

TrapGame
08-15-2021, 09:05 PM
https://www.supertalk.fm/thunder-lightning-thoughts-from-mississippi-states-first-scrimmage/

Y'all take a listen.

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2021, 09:29 PM

I hope this isn?t true, anyone confirm?

BayouDawg
08-15-2021, 10:34 PM
Seven. Do you know if sps poster is reliable?

msstate7
08-16-2021, 06:22 AM
Seven. Do you know if sps poster is reliable?

No idea, Msubulldogfan1

FISHDAWG
08-16-2021, 10:09 AM

maybe he's just making sure we have the basics down pat before moving on to the down-field stuff ... at least that's what I'm hoping

TrapGame
08-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Steve was on OOB this morning. He said no one knows what Davis? injury is. He said the ACL speculation is unwarranted at this point. Davis is getting an MRI today.

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Steve was on OOB this morning. He said no one knows what Davis? injury is. He said the ACL speculation is unwarranted at this point. Davis is getting an MRI today.

This what he would say no matter what. He wants all the minions to think that if he doesn't know, nobody knows. It has to come through him.

BayouDawg
08-16-2021, 11:32 AM
This what he would say no matter what. He wants all the minions to think that if he doesn't know, nobody knows. It has to come through him.

To be fair if the MRI hasnt happened yet then it is just speculation.

Cowbell
08-16-2021, 11:36 AM
To be fair if the MRI hasnt happened yet then it is just speculation.

That's fair but he would say this regardless.

msstate7
08-16-2021, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I'm sure they have a pretty good idea either way, and mri is just to make sure