PDA

View Full Version : 2A MAIS Greenville Christian 58, 5A MRA 32

CaptainObvious
08-13-2021, 10:58 PM
What the heck?

Edited to change GCS to 3A but still. MRA was supposed to be the cream of the crop in MAIS.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-13-2021, 11:03 PM
Greenville Christian QB had 500 total yards and 7 TDs

It_Could_Happen
08-13-2021, 11:20 PM
They have Oakland TN in 2 weeks who is the consensus #1 team in Tennessee and the defending state champs. Dominated Brentwood twice last year. If they play like that defensively Oakland will name the score.

Homedawg
08-14-2021, 07:40 AM
What the heck?

Edited to change GCS to 3A but still. MRA was supposed to be the cream of the crop in MAIS.

Real game or jamboree??

CaptainObvious
08-14-2021, 08:17 AM
Real game. Greenville Christian still has a bunch that transferred from Greenwood High last year when GHS wouldn?t play because of Covid. Of the 29 players on GCS roster, 18 are Seniors, 7 are Juniors and 4 are Sophomores. 13 of the Seniors are Greenwood Public School transfers from last year. That is a 118 mile round trip to school each day.

viverlibre
08-14-2021, 03:51 PM
What kind of transfer rule does the MAIS have if any? As you stated, it is a one hour, one way trip from Greenwood to Greenville.

Brahmabull
08-14-2021, 06:11 PM
I think their stud receiver is from Yazoo City. They got kids from around the delta.

captaindog
08-14-2021, 06:32 PM
What kind of transfer rule does the MAIS have if any? As you stated, it is a one hour, one way trip from Greenwood to Greenville.

It is a fairly hard rule between MAIS schools but I?m not aware of any strict rules when coming from MHSAA.

MedDawg
08-15-2021, 06:43 PM

Whatever rules they had they probably suspended them because of Covid and the GHS cancelled season. GCS went on to win the State championship and fans of the school that lost in the championship weren't too happy that GCS won with a huge number of transfer athletes. One of whom is committed to State. I wonder if it was the GCS QB who just had all those yards against MRA?

captaindog
08-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Whatever rules they had they probably suspended them because of Covid and the GHS cancelled season. GCS went on to win the State championship and fans of the school that lost in the championship weren't too happy that GCS won with a huge number of transfer athletes. One of whom is committed to State. I wonder if it was the GCS QB who just had all those yards against MRA?
Yes it was DJ Smith that had the yards. He looked like Dak Prescott against LSU. Regarding the transfers I certainly understand. Obviously most MAIS likely recruit to at least some degree. However I?ve never seen anything like that. GCS went 4-6, 4-7 and barely beating bad teams to 11-1 last season.

CaptainObvious
08-15-2021, 08:47 PM
Yes it was DJ Smith that had the yards. He looked like Dak Prescott against LSU. Regarding the transfers I certainly understand. Obviously most MAIS likely recruit to at least some degree. However I?ve never seen anything like that. GCS went 4-6, 4-7 and barely beating bad teams to 11-1 last season.

A few years ago they barely had enough students to field a team, let alone players. They were on the cusp of going 8 man. McLendon comes in and starts rebuilding from scratch and Covid gifted him with a brand new team. A 29 player roster still meant Iron-Man Football last year and this because of the lack of football talent depth.

When they played Indianola Academy in the playoffs last year, lots of IA parents said their kids called the GCS players dirty players. Probably sour grapes since IA and G-St. Joe were supposed to be the top teams in that division. I imagine the IA boys hadn?t faced a team that physical.

viverlibre
08-15-2021, 11:56 PM
A few years ago they barely had enough students to field a team, let alone players. They were on the cusp of going 8 man. McLendon comes in and starts rebuilding from scratch and Covid gifted him with a brand new team. A 29 player roster still meant Iron-Man Football last year and this because of the lack of football talent depth.

When they played Indianola Academy in the playoffs last year, lots of IA parents said their kids called the GCS players dirty players. Probably sour grapes since IA and G-St. Joe were supposed to be the top teams in that division. I imagine the IA boys hadn?t faced a team that physical.

Carroll parents were pissed too, but what you gonna do?

Johnson85
08-16-2021, 01:22 PM
Carroll parents were pissed too, but what you gonna do?

MAIS has largely not had to deal with problems in classification that can arise when you aren't just taking schools from a particular area. Until relatively recently, outside of MRA basketball, schools haven't really recruited consistently. It has happened, but not often enough adn consistently enough to really mess up competitiveness. And outside of a few exceptions, much of MAIS exists where there aren't decent public school options, so you don't have a lot of schools that are smaller but consistently way better than their size would suggest because they take the guys that are almost, but not quite good enough at the competing public school.

Be interesting to see if MRA and now GCS get other schools motivated to do the same. With all the MAIS schools that struggle to keep the lights on, I can't imagine having alumni paying for scholarships rather than supporting the school, but obviously it happens from time to time.

basedog
08-16-2021, 01:40 PM
Greenville Christian QB had 500 total yards and 7 TDs

That is some impressive numbers!